1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    23,129 Posts

Craig Lewis had no pulse for a month before he passed away, but he was certainly still alive.

A new artificial heart, developed by Dr. Billy Cohn and Dr. Bud Frazier of the Texas Heart Institute, kept the 55-year-old cardiac amyloidosis patient alive without producing a pulse or showing a beep on an EKG machine, according to NPR. The continuous flow device, which is yet to have been specifically named, used a new system of screw-like rotor blades to push blood forward without pulsating.

As a result, Lewis had no pulse whatsoever. When his wife listened to his chest, all she heard was whirring.

It turns out, the body doesn't actually need a pulse, that's just how the heart works.

"The pulsatility of the flow is essential for the heart, because it can only get nourishment in between heartbeats," Cohn told NPR. "If you remove that from the system, none of the other organs seem to care much."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_878177.html

Imagine tripping and someone approaching you to check your pulse, and when they're shocked with your lack of it and obvious death, you scare the hell out of them by whispering something on their ear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Brazil Show Events Late Late x 10 (list)

2. Post #2
    I would sooooo play dead, then jump out as someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    own-fucking-zone
    April 2009
    4,016 Posts
    It turns out, the body doesn't actually need a pulse, that's just how the heart works.
    That sounds dumb as fuck. Of course we don't need a 'pulse', we need blood to circulate our body.

If we reverse that logic it'd be possible to be kept alive if we drained someone from blood and hooked him up with an astable LMC555 CMOS timer to give him the necessary pulse to live.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

4. Post #4
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    Lets man late for a month?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,104 Posts
    I know this is really stupid, but I'd really love to have a permanent one of these and act like I was JC Denton or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,594 Posts
    Think of this thread as a revival of the old one.

Old one went to shit when people started talking about cyborgs and vampires, with a dusting of Stubbs the Zombie.

Edited:

I know this is really stupid, but I'd really love to have a permanent one of these and act like I was JC Denton or something.

My circulation is augmented
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    Dick Cheney has had no heartbeat for over a month. Along with the ventricular implant, he's not had a pulse for what now? 70 years?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)