1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Right, this is how we're gonna do this.

I know there are a few nuts like me who'd like to dig into this stuff. I do know that there are plenty of people here who know their stuff when it comes to these periods.

As for me, I'm a noob and know nothing. :smug:

Also MODERN CLASSICAL and Contemporary styles that are directly influenced by these periods count.

[release]
    [h2]PERIODS:
    Medieval - (500–1400)[/h2]

Medieval music is European music written during the Middle Ages. This era begins with the fall of the Roman Empire and ends in approximately the early fifteenth century. Establishing the end of the medieval era and the beginning of the Renaissance is difficult; the usage in this article is the one usually adopted by musicologists.

As I'm aware, this is basically the era of mainly GREGORIAN CHANTS and PLAINSONG.

[h2]Renaissance - (1400–1600)[/h2]

Renaissance music is European music written during the Renaissance. Defining the beginning of the musical era is difficult, given the gradually adopted "Renaissance" characteristics: musicologists have placed its beginnings from as early as 1300 to as late as the 1470s.

The only names I recognize from this era are "Giovanni Gabrieli" and "William Byrd"

[h2]Baroque - (1600–1760)[/h2]

Baroque music describes a style of Western Classical music approximately extending from 1600 to 1750.[1] This era follows the Renaissance and was followed in turn by the Classical era. The word "baroque" came from the Portuguese word barroco, meaning "misshapen pearl",[2] a negative description of the ornate and heavily ornamented music of this period; later, the name came to be applied also to its architecture. Baroque music forms a major portion of the classical music canon, being widely studied, performed, and listened to. Composers of the baroque era include Johann Sebastian Bach, George Frideric Handel, Alessandro Scarlatti, Antonio Vivaldi, Georg Philipp Telemann, Jean-Baptiste Lully, Arcangelo Corelli, Claudio Monteverdi, Jean-Philippe Rameau and Henry Purcell. The baroque period saw the development of functional tonality. During the period, composers and performers used more elaborate musical ornamentation, made changes in musical notation, and developed new instrumental playing techniques. Baroque music expanded the size, range, and complexity of instrumental performance, and also established opera as a musical genre. Many musical terms and concepts from this era are still in use today.

[h2]Classical - (1750–1830)[/h2]

The dates of the Classical Period in Western music are generally accepted as being between about 1750 and 1830. However, the term classical music is used colloquially to describe a variety of Western musical styles from the ninth century to the present, and especially from the sixteenth or seventeenth to the nineteenth. This article is about the specific period from 1750 to 1830.[1]

The Classical period falls between the Baroque and the Romantic periods. The best known composers from this period are Joseph Haydn, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, and Franz Schubert; other notable names include Luigi Boccherini, Muzio Clementi, Antonio Soler, Antonio Salieri, François Joseph Gossec, Johann Stamitz, Carl Friedrich Abel, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, and Christoph Willibald Gluck. Ludwig van Beethoven is also sometimes regarded either as a Romantic composer or a composer who was part of the transition to the Romantic; Franz Schubert is also something of a transitional figure, as are Johann Nepomuk Hummel, Mauro Giuliani, Friedrich Kuhlau, Fernando Sor, Luigi Cherubini, Jan Ladislav Dussek, and Carl Maria von Weber. The period is sometimes referred to as the era of Viennese Classic or Classicism (German: Wiener Klassik), since Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Joseph Haydn, and Ludwig van Beethoven all worked at some time in Vienna, and Franz Schubert was born there.

[h2]Romantic - (1815–1910)[/h2]

Romantic music or music in the Romantic Period is a musicological and artistic term referring to a particular period, theory, compositional practice, and canon in Western music history, from about 1830 to 1910.
    Romantic music attempted to increase emotional expression and power to describe deeper truths or human feelings, while preserving but in many cases extending the formal structures from the classical period, in others, creating new forms that were deemed better suited to the new subject matter. The subject matter in the new music was now not only purely abstract, but also frequently drawn from other art-form sources such as literature, or history (historical figures) or nature itself.

[h2]MODERN CLASSICAL[/h2]
    Yeah, this stuff is basically the contemporary stuff that is in movies. But there are a few good ones.

Tell me you aren't moved by that.
    [/release]

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...lle_marriner_/

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...o_pollini__f1/

Also, please comment on what you're recommending. Need the info, bro. :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2011
    531 Posts
    You could have atleast copied the first paragraph of each period into the OP with images
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2010
    4,152 Posts
    Carmina Burana by the Clemencic Consort is pretty much as old as it can get (as far as classical music "classics" go).

(it's cool)

I like this too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    You could have atleast copied the first paragraph of each period into the OP with images
    Okay I did it more bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,520 Posts
    Tchaikovsky is where its at
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,168 Posts
    It's quite the shame no recorded sheet music really exists from the pre-medieval era. I've always been curious about the musical pieces of antiquity, but they're far and very few in between.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    well none really exist because the concept wasn't created until Gregorian chant

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    well none really exist because the concept wasn't created until Gregorian chant
    Well that's not true.

Tribal music?

Edited:

Native Americans and Aboriginal must have written some kind of account.

9. Post #9
    April 2011
    1,040 Posts
    To answer the most recent question, apparently there are at least some existing pre-medieval music pieces (I haven't studied this section of music history that much). A small collection is here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Peopl...he_Ancient_era
    For medieval music, here's an example of singing from the ripe old time of 569.
    sheet music
    Composer is Venantius Honorius Clementianus Fortunatus (what a name)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Well that's not true.

Tribal music?

Edited:

Not sure they did to be honest, judging by african cultures I reckon they were just learnt and passed down.

Rennaisance piece for 40 part choir
    Spem in alium-Thomas Tallis

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Well that's not true.

Tribal music?

Edited:

the concept of writing music. perhaps they had rhythmic notation but nothing more complex than that

Edited:

To answer the most recent question, apparently there are at least some existing pre-medieval music pieces (I haven't studied this section of music history that much). A small collection is here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Peopl...he_Ancient_era
    For medieval music, here's an example of singing from the ripe old time of 569.
    sheet music
    Composer is Venantius Honorius Clementianus Fortunatus (what a name)
    that's obviously not the original composition though.

12. Post #12
    April 2011
    1,040 Posts
    the concept of writing music. perhaps they had rhythmic notation but nothing more complex than that

Edited:

that's obviously not the original composition though.
    Well if you wanted a manuscript, then no, it isn't the original composition.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Who are the best players of Chopin's work?

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts

Edited:

Well if you wanted a manuscript, then no, it isn't the original composition.
    well where is it I wanna see it

Edited:

also mitsuko is my waifu

Edited:

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng! GLORIOUUUUUUS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2011
    1,040 Posts

Edited:

well where is it I wanna see it

Edited:

also mitsuko is my waifu

Edited:

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng! GLORIOUUUUUUS
    Trying to find manuscript, apparently it's held in the British Library and no one's bothered to scan it yet.
    source, third page left side listing

Edit: Also, for the Romantic Period, here's Faure playing his own Pavane:

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Listening to this album

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ncient_music_/

Sounds great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Trying to find manuscript, apparently it's held in the British Library and no one's bothered to scan it yet.
    source, third page left side listing

Edit: Also, for the Romantic Period, here's Faure playing his own Pavane:
    I don't see anything saying 6th century on the third page..

Edited:

london philharmonic plays Egmont (beethoven)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Who are the best players of Chopin's work?
    Vladimir Ashkenazy, Anton Rubenstein, Krystian(not sure as to spelling here) Zimmerman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Vladimir Ashkenazy, Anton Rubenstein, Krystian(not sure as to spelling here) Zimmerman.
    This album will go on my list. :respek:
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ir_ashkenazy_/

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    Rite of Spring

That shit was too awesome for the past people's ears so instead the rioted and that's cool.

Oh wait that's after 1910. Whatever it's still cool.

21. Post #21
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Although I've really grown out of Classical and Baroque in recent years I shall post some Bach as Bach is universal:

And now I shall share some Chopin, my personal favorite composer ever:

And now for a piece by Robert Schumann, which I'm currently learning:

Just let me know if you want more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Just let me know if you want more
    Any particular albums you know of that are any good?

Like a collection of concertos?

23. Post #23
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Rite of Spring

That shit was too awesome for the past people's ears so instead the rioted and that's cool.
    Have you heard of the scandal at Bosendorfer saal? It was a few weeks or so before the Rite of Spring riot, only whereas the audience for the Rite of Spring grew to like it, the music played at Bosendorfer Saal still offends some people today

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    I think modern classical can count with this thread. It still has direct influences within a major period of music. :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    I can only play the first couple pages of this song. My dad helped teach me some of it a long time ago and it sunk in.

26. Post #26
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Any particular albums you know of that are any good?

Like a collection of concertos?
    I don't really know any certain albums, but if you'd like to check out any of the Columbia recordings of Mahler's symphonies under Bruno Walter, those are excellent. I'd especially reccomend symphony no.2 "Resurrection".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    I think modern classical can count with this thread. It still has direct influences within a major period of music. :smug:
    We can?
    In that case:

This will be my project.

28. Post #28
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    In that case, hear this masterpiece:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    I don't really know any certain albums, but if you'd like to check out any of the Columbia recordings of Mahler's symphonies under Bruno Walter, those are excellent. I'd especially reccomend symphony no.2 "Resurrection".
    Yeah I think this is what you're talking about:
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...bruno_walter_/

30. Post #30
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    More modern "classical":

Edited:

Yeah I think this is what you're talking about:
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...bruno_walter_/
    I own that exact one on vinyl.

Edited:

I guess now I'll also share some of my own performances

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    well if modern classical counts then Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich needs to be in this thread. The first classical piece I really got into. Here's one part of it.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    I own that exact one on vinyl.

Edited:
    WTF, I just found out it was never pressed on CD. :argh:

33. Post #33
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Let me take a moment to educate you all on a composer I adore, Gustav Mahler

Although his music only really exists in two genres (song and symphony) the amount he put in those two genres qualifies him as one of the greatest composers ever. In his time, he was largely known as a conductor, and his music was often very harshly criticized for being too modern, however, after a modern revival he's come to be seen as both the last Romantic composer as well as the first Modern composer. He was practically worshiped by Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, and tons of other composers who would come to be known as the "Second Viennese School".

And now for some of this brilliant man's music:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    I can't seem to find any good editions of Walter's interpretations of Mahler. I have found some of his "Brahms" work though. Reckon that's any good?

35. Post #35
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    I have heard Walter's recording of Brahms' third symphony which was decent. I have not heard much else of his besides Mahler, though.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Oh well. This Bach album is working a treat though, it's very well recorded.

37. Post #37
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Here's a good site that has a bunch of public domain recordings, featuring a lot of Walter.

http://public-domain-archive.com/cla...composer_no=47

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Here's a good site that has a bunch of public domain recordings, featuring a lot of Walter.

http://public-domain-archive.com/cla...composer_no=47
    Nice...

I'd listen to some, if they were in album form. :smugdog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Album form is too mainstream :smug:

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    the thing I hate about getting classical music is that there are usually like a million recordings and I have no idea which one to get and if I do know which one is supposed to be the best one it's most likely not available and there's one by a different composer and if I get it I probably won't get the best quality but I don't know and it's just so confusing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)