October 2007
    7,382 Posts

(dragon dick-butt courtesy of Aerkhan)
    Release date: 11.11.11

New Engine: "Creation Engine"
    Creation Set (SDK / Construction Set)
    DirectX 11 Support
    GRAPHICS ON THE PC WILL BE BETTER, DON'T WHINE ABOUT THAT
    Consoles may see some Bethesda endorsed PC mods.

Trailer and Gameplay demo:

Gameplay demo WITHOUT background blabbering
    part 1
    part 2
    part 3

other videos:
    - Draxton Hale

RRARRGH NEW IMAGES OF RACES!!

argonian (male)

dunmer

redguard

dunmer

argonian (female)

bosmer

nord

orc

khajitt

Skyrim is set two-hundred years after the events of Oblivion in the eponymous land of Skyrim. The country has erupted into civil war after the assassination of its King. Concurrently, the god Alduin, which takes the form of a massive dragon, arises to destroy the world. The player character is perhaps the last living Dovahkiin (Dragonborn), and must fend off Alduin and save Skyrim from certain destruction.

:siren:Information Compendium on bethsoft forums (contains everything you'd ever want to know about this game):siren: : http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...l__compend ium

Or, if you just want a quick readthrough of the most important aspects, keep reading.

The Art of Skyrim:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...of-skyrim.aspx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4785768... - Concept art

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4785768...946/ - Screens

General Information:

-There is difficulty scaling.
    -Bethesda have enlisted many more voice actors.
    -Characters will behave more naturally by doing things while they talk to you
    -The Camera will not zoom in during conversations.
    -There is a sprint mechanic that will use up stamina
    -Running backwards is slower than running forwards
    -The game will customise unique encounters based on the things you do
    -There are more activities offered in towns (forge work, alchemy, enchantment, farming, mining, woodcutting, -cooking, etc)

Environments:

-Environments
    -There are 6-7 world environments
    -The northern coast of Skyrim is covered in ice, snow and glaciers. To the west it's rocky and craggy and in the -middle of Skyrim there is a large tundra (A tundra is a biome where the tree growth is hindered by low --temperatures and short growing seasons.)
    -There are 5 main cities
    -Underground areas will be more varied (Icy caves, forgotten crypts)
    -Environments are deliberately beautiful

Levelling, Skills & Spells:

-The class system has been removed
    -Your overall level will increase faster if you focus on specific skills, the more skills you practice the slower you will -level up.
    -There are 18 skills
    -There are 85 spells
    -Leveling will automatically improve health, the player then has the choice of further boosting health, stamina or magicka
    -There are now perks similar to Fallout
    -Once the player has reached level 50, further leveling is dramatically slower.
    -Mysticism has been removed due to redundancy

Combat:

-Bow and arrow attacks do a lot more damage
    -Designed to feel more tactile
    -Weapons and spells can be applied separately for each hand.
    -There are unique finishing moves
    -Dragon Shouts are a new mechanic within the game
    -You will fight dragons throughout the game

Graphics:

-Characters will show more emotion in their facial expressions
    -Large draw distances
    -Dynamic shadows for all game objects
    -Improved third-person perspective
    -Realistic falling snow
    -Independent moving tree branches
    -Dragons will have a stone like appearance
    -Interfaces & Menu
    -HUD free option
    -The main menu comprises of skills, inventory, map and magic
    -The menu superficially interacts with the world around you
    -The menu has been designed around organising data efficiently
    -All objects have a 3D image for you to examine
    -The map is an interactive real time screen shot of the world you're in.

* Unlike the previous games where melee combat were free-for-alls prone to friendly fire, "Skyrim" will feature a context-sensitive melee system described as "Magnetism" in the French PSN, where your melee attacks will automatically target foes instead of slashing everything in your path. This is somewhat similar to the autotargeting system in "Assassin's Creed Brotherhood."

* Unique weapons will possess hidden effects that you will only discover upon using the weapon.

* Players will be unable to block attacks if they are wielding a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other. Only players who wield two handed weapons or a sword and shield can perform blocks.

* The "Spell Shield" ability will see a return in "Skyrim."

* Taverns will serve as important locations in the game. Players will be able to overhear conversations, collect rumors, begin quests, acquire information and much more.

* Players can stalk non-player characters and chart their routines, and break and enter into their homes when they aren't around.

* The information quest givers provide you will depend upon their disposition towards you. Friendly NPCs will provide you with more information while hostile or distrusting characters will provide you with a lot less.

* A dungeon described as "Bleak Falls Barrow" is inhabited by Draugr--undead Nord warriors. Players can expect to encounter a ghostly dragon priest and fight a giant Frostbite Spider. The dungeon has been described by Bethesda as "terrifying."

* The quest to Bleak Falls Barrow is provided to you by a shopkeeper named Lucan who wants you to retrieve his priceless Draconic family heirloom--a golden claw.

* "Skyrim" will see the inclusion of new area-of-effect spells such as "Ice Trap," which is triggered when an enemy walks over it; "Circle of Protection," an area-of-effect spell which pushes enemies in your vicinity away; and "Fury" which causes enemies to fight amongst themselves.

* With a strong emphasis on melee combat, "Skyrim" will feature the addition of finishing moves, one of which has been described as "plunging your sword into the enemy's chest."

* As a game that's more or less an open sandbox, players will be able to perform free-form activities like cooking, woodcutting, mining, and blacksmithing.

* One of the new "Dragon Shout" abilities slows down time, and is similar to Bullet Time.

* One of the first cities the player visits is called Riverwood, and is decried as "a smattering of timber buildings, including a sawmill."

* The new "Radiant Story" feature of Skyrim--which generates side-quests based on player actions--is inspired by the random encounters in the Fallout series.

* "Skyrim" contains exhaustive environmental effects, such as the effects of wind on water and the creation of waves. The game will also contain meteorological effects, with clouds clustering around mountaintops and so forth.

* It will be possible to raise all skills to the maximum 100 points but it isn't possible to get every perk in a single playthrough.

* With regards to the story, the death of the King of Skyrim has caused a civil war to break out in the country.

* Dragon encounters will not be scripted events. These Dragons may attack towns and cities during its travels, which may cause it to be set ablaze.

* Every large settlement in the land of Skyrim will be unique. The city of Marketh Side is set into a cliffside, with buildings teetering on the edge. Haarfingar is said to be home to the largest trading port in Skyrim. One of the cities in Skyrim is even said to be heavily inspired by the Dunmer architecture of Morrowind.

* Bethesda intends to bring back a sense of eccentricity into the world of Vvardenfell, as each Nord faction will have its own customs and styles instead of being carbon copies.

* The economy of "Skyrim" will be better developed than the one in previous games. If you destroy a city's means of income (for instance, by razing their crops), its inhabitants will have to purchase crops from a nearby city, thereby raising prices.

* Archers will be able to hold their breath--an action which consumes stamina--while aiming in order to increase their accuracy. This ability is similar to the sniping abilities in games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and the Call of Duty series.

* Wounded dragons have a chance of crashing into the ground.

* It is possible to cut dialogue short by simply walking away from a speaking NPC.

* Dragon Shouts are assigned to the R3 button on the PS3 gamepad.

* Most NPCs will not have a complete set of dialogue, with only "important" characters having substantial dialogue.
    20 Reasons to be excited about Skyrim, by RPS:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...-about-skyrim/

NEW INFO:

There exists a carriage system that will take you to major locations.
    Skyrim (PC) will support DX11
    Some places you will be very challenged, and may not even be able to defeat an enemy, and will have to return when more powerful. Other places you will be much more powerful than the enemy. Auto-leveling works much like it did in Fallout 3.
    Some Dragons are scripted, while some appears randomly.
    The amount of dragons is actually infinite, as they are placed in the world like any other creature, and thus, they will respawn like any other creature.
    Power attacks (Hold down attack button) uses stamina and staggers enemies.
    Each archetype have one crafting-skill. Mage has Enchant, Thief has Alchemy and Warrior has Blacksmithing/armourer. (Since there are no classes, everyone can use all these skills, this is just their categorization)
    Perks will allow you to, among other things, disarm enemies, increase chance of critical hit and perform special "special moves".
    There are more weapon types and armor types in Skyrim compared to Oblivion.

Interview with Todd Howard:
    http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/elders...interview?hd=1

[h2]List of cities and towns with probably matching images, made by Hypnotoad[/h2]
    Cities (large, walled, or of great significance):

-Solitude
    -Winterhold
    -Markath
    -Whiterun
    -Whiterun
    -Riften(image is either Riften or Sunguard)
    -Windhelm

Towns (small, unwalled):

-Riverwood
    -Oakwood
    -North keep(this image is completely speculative, another possibility is stonehill)
    -Sunguard
    -Greenwood
    -Kynesgrove
    -Lainstar Dale
    -Stonehill
    -Dawnstar
    -Dunstad Grove
    -Dragon Bridge
    -Granitehall

GameInformer Scans (open in new tab for bigger image):

Other screens:

[h2]Even newer screens[/h2]

coolio gif by hypnotoad:

Coolio map by hypnotoad:

It displays what locations the demo took place in.
    Funny comic explaining dragon shouts:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events Winner x 134Funny x 30Dumb x 6Disagree x 1Friendly x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1Artistic x 1Zing x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    FUS ROH DAH

(User was banned for this post (""First post"" - Autumn))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb x 37Funny x 24Winner x 5Useful x 2Late x 1Agree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,152 Posts
    Skyrim DLC Details

Bethesda game director Todd Howard has revealed in an interview with AusGamers that he would like fewer pieces of DLC for the upcoming The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, with downloadable content being "more substantial" than what was seen in Fallout 3.

Despite this, Howard added that the team currently don't have any plans for their post-launch episodes.

"So right now I can say that we'd like to do less DLC but bigger ones – you know, more substantial. The Fallout 3 pace that we did was very chaotic. We did a lot of them – we had two overlapping groups – and we don't know what we're going to make yet, but we'd like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel," he said.

He also revealed that DLC will be available after the main quest is beaten, putting to rest one of the biggest complaints about their Fallout 3.
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1179690p1.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 25 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    But srsly reinstalling Morrowind.

Edited:

MAH AUTOMERGE!

Edited:

Old. News.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,315 Posts
    I'm so glad they change the face gen thing so everyone doesn't look like shit. Fucking tall foreheads were weird as hell to look at.

Edited:

Also, didn't know threads ended at 2998. Feels weird being the last poster but oh well.

In any case, poisons are fun, experiment!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Why am I not creditted in the OP for the awesome dragon dick?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Don't drunk i'm shoot!
    August 2010
    2,649 Posts
    Obligatory repost of my current character

And a floating beggar

I believe img thumb is gone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 81Dumb Dumb x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    [h2]AND MY ACKSH[/h2]
    June 2009
    3,965 Posts
    What's the point of switching around that yellow light orb thing in the hands in the first gameplay demo?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Nya~
    April 2011
    5,163 Posts
    Update on my better cities problem, even when the graphics are turned all the way down and with the stutter remover installed it still crashes when I get close to a certain area of the anvil docks. :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,152 Posts
    I don't understand, why can't you direct your non-Skyrim related stuff to here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Because that thread is dead and this thread is cool stop posting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,315 Posts
    Because we can have good things in one thread. Besides, not like anything is stopping people from discussing Skyrim content while talking about previous ES titles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,683 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

14. Post #14
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Hey guys, why are there no Frost Monarches in the game?
    I mean Morrowind had a sword that was enchanted with the soul of one, yet no game had them.
    Not to mention Skyrim's Frost Atronach is just an Ice Cube with arms and legs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

15. Post #15

June 2011
    2 Posts
    i agree with you, aerkhan![img]http://***************/ogby9h9[/img]

(User was permabanned for this post ("Bot" - Orkel))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 29Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,899 Posts
    My next character will be an omnidiciplinary independant mage born under the Apprentice sign. He will use only daggers and bows as real weapons although if there's a really cool sword he may use it aswell. He's still going to be Milos though. Thanks to the Wizard's Tower and Spell Tomes I could never need to set foot in a mages guild or even a town. But right now I've got the Dark Brotherhood questline to go through.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    13,005 Posts
    I hope that it's an easy enough game to play without dragon shouts, because I don't really care to use them and plan to do a least one playthrough without them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,315 Posts
    I would assume Dragon Shouts make life easier, but possible to go without.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2010
    1,732 Posts
    I hope that it's an easy enough game to play without dragon shouts, because I don't really care to use them and plan to do a least one playthrough without them.
    Why the hell would you choose not to use them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

20. Post #20
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Maybe his character will be mute?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 28Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    13,005 Posts
    Because I shockingly roleplay in a roleplaying game, and perhaps I'm playing as an aged dunmer from the time of oblivion, who ISN'T a dragonborn? Insane right?
    What if I don't WANT to be a dragonborn because I think absorbing dragon souls to gain power is stupid.
    or many other reasons why I would not want to play with them, just like how I don't plan to be a nord with a long beard like 90% of this thread plans to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 18Zing x 2Dumb x 2Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,671 Posts
    What's the point of switching around that yellow light orb thing in the hands in the first gameplay demo?
    None, it was just showing off. However you can use both hands at the same time, and get a more powerful spell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,315 Posts
    Because I shockingly roleplay in a roleplaying game, and perhaps I'm playing as an aged dunmer from the time of oblivion, who ISN'T a dragonborn? Insane right?
    What if I don't WANT to be a dragonborn because I think absorbing dragon souls to gain power is stupid.
    or many other reasons why I would not want to play with them, just like how I don't plan to be a nord with a long beard like 90% of this thread plans to be.
    I wonder what the Argoanian's look like this time around. Either way, I'm gonna ride back into my Assassin saddle. Doesn't make sense for someone like that to use shouts. But thats what multi-playthroughs are for
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,543 Posts
    None, it was just showing off. However you can use both hands at the same time, and get a more powerful spell.
    I have heard Todd say this 1000 times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Don't drunk i'm shoot!
    August 2010
    2,649 Posts
    Will we still be able to make our characters look but ass ugly in skyrim, because i think gaylord monobrow would enjoy a beard :pervert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

26. Post #26
    December 2010
    6,407 Posts
    When they say the combat is more tactile I hope they truly mean it. I hated the combat so much in oblivion, SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH HEAVY SLASH.

If only the combat was more like Dark Messiah or Mount and Blade or something.

And from the e3 footage the combat seems better, yet still kind of wonky. It doesn't look very smooth. Hopefully they will improve it, they still have a while.

Edited:

Oh and when he shot that chick with the arrow, the guy just stood there waiting to be shot. That better be a glitch or something. That shit is pretty unacceptable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

27. Post #27
    June 2010
    4,370 Posts
    I wonder what the Argoanian's look like this time around. Either way, I'm gonna ride back into my Assassin saddle. Doesn't make sense for someone like that to use shouts. But thats what multi-playthroughs are for
    Well I'm sure there will be shouts that aren't all FUCK YOU in your face. I can see there being a quieter one for stealth or something. I could as easily be wrong. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,315 Posts
    Will we still be able to make our characters look but ass ugly in skyrim, because i think gaylord monobrow would enjoy a beard :pervert:
    In a podcast they said they were planning to limit how the face creation thing worked. So...don't get your hopes up

Edited:

Well I'm sure there will be shouts that aren't all FUCK YOU in your face. I can see there being a quieter one for stealth or something. I could as easily be wrong. :saddowns:
    I don't think a whisper is the same thing as a shout. But you never know!

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    13,005 Posts
    In a podcast they said they were planning to limit how the face creation thing worked. So...don't get your hopes up
    why... why... WHY?

30. Post #30
    Don't drunk i'm shoot!
    August 2010
    2,649 Posts
    Meh who cares anyway, but i'll find some way to fuck it up somehow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    May 2010
    3,157 Posts
    I hope that just means that they're going to make it impossible to make a face that's so distorted that it clips through helmets, and not that they're going to go back to a selection of pre-made faces or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2006
    14,846 Posts
    On the topic of amor slots being merged and everyone bitching about how terrible it is:

vsions, Character Artist for Bethesda Game Studios posted:
    dont assume peoples ;) wait till you know for sure.
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...eng-is-saying/

Post #13

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    13,005 Posts
    I hope that just means that they're going to make it impossible to make a face that's so distorted that it clips through helmets, and not that they're going to go back to a selection of pre-made faces or something.
    why would they do that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2010
    3,157 Posts
    why would they do that?
    It was just a rather extreme example of what they could do if they really wanted to. I really doubt that they would go back to pre-made faces. I was just trying to say that I hope they're not going to dumb down creating your character.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,899 Posts
    Bethesda are such trolls, almost every answer they give is either "we're experimenting with that" or "we can't say at the moment".

Edited:

It was just a rather extreme example of what they could do if they really wanted to. I really doubt that they would go back to pre-made faces. I was just trying to say that I hope they're not going to dumb down creating your character.
    Can't be much worse than slider central.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,315 Posts
    They were mostly referring to how the Random button would cause faces to be all doughy and stupid, hence their joke by calling it the 'Ugly' button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    April 2010
    1,732 Posts
    How can you shout quietly?

Sneak around behind some people and then right behind them, then scream SUPER STEALTH ACTIVATE.

I think they heard you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,315 Posts
    On the topic of amor slots being merged and everyone bitching about how terrible it is:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...eng-is-saying/

Post #13
    Brotherhood armor. Two parts. Makes life miserable but hell, it gives me what I need. I'll fit in just fine!

Edited:

How can you shout quietly?

Sneak around behind some people and then right behind them, then scream SUPER STEALTH ACTIVATE.

I think they heard you.
    Sort of how someone sneaks right up to your ear, whispers 'Wanna hear something funny?' and then scream very loudly, causing you jump and jitter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    810 Posts
    I do not like these rumors about limited face customization.
    Beth better not fuck this up :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,767 Posts
    Who can recommend me some good graphics mods for Oblivion? It's okay if it's not completely accurate with the atmosphere (though I happily suggest you cut your balls off if you link one of those 'kawaii uguu desu desu' anime mods) but don't go too nuts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)