1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    364 Posts

Hello one and all!

What we have here, is a small project I like to call Gm_Apartment. Remember those by-gone days of survival horror games, with their charming puzzles and characters that controlled like m1 Abrams tanks? Yeah me too! It sucks that there are literally none around these days, some of my best memories were from playing the Silent Hill games at 1 o'clock in the morning back when I was 12. Ahhh, childhood scarring. But I digress.

Gm_Apartment is a small single player map that re-creates the gameplay of those old Survival Horror titles. Explore an old deserted apartment building and discover what stories the previous residents left behind! Pick up items! Use them! Solve puzzles! The fun will literally never end!

Media:

Quick look at the map (video):

Download Links:

Dropbox

Mediafire

Patches:

Patch 1

IMPORTANT INFO

-Inside of the addons folder, there is a folder called new surfaceproperties. Read the readme in it. The new surfacepropertieswill make it so that textures with the 'carpet' surfaceproperties will have new footsteps sounds. If you got annoyed like I was that carpets sound like dirt when you stepped on them, this map will fix it for you. It is completely optional.

-Episode 2 is required.

-Oh and uh... you can use the typewriter on the second floor. It's not terribly obvious.

Who are these fine men working on this project?

Mr. Sunabouzu (Reason134): Handles the map, all the art assets, and planning.

Unrealomega: Coder. I'm pretty sure he just rolls his face up and down the keyboard, and sometimes computers understand what it means.

Phanterm: He tells me to change dumb ideas I have and really this entire thing would be a mess without his input. He will also beat you up in any fighting game ever.

Thanks to all my playtesters and the lovely people from Gangsta Gang Gaming for various grunt work!

Special thanks to beautiful people Sam and MacDGuy who decided to fix some shit! I didn't even ask! That's how nice they are.

Oh yeah and as usual: You are allowed to reuse any content in this for your own projects. Go ahead, just please credit us somewhere if you do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King x 96Winner x 7Artistic x 4Dumb x 3Funny x 3Agree x 2Zing x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,608 Posts
    Fucking yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,315 Posts
    Sweet been waiting for this. Gonna play it right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,558 Posts
    Although I'm too much of a wuss to actually play it, it will be amazing for posing purposes. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2010
    79 Posts
    I got into room 104 and quit to my desktop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,608 Posts
    Finished it! It was pretty damn scary. Silent hill style ambience that kept me sunken into my chair.
    Trippy ending as well, but i do have one complaint.

That typewriter puzzle was shit. There was no hint that it would ever be usefull. I think having a photograph of the area the answer is in (Without the Blue light) would help that alot.

Anyway, GREAT map. Absolutely astounding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    364 Posts
    I'm going to just spoil this one because i'm getting a lot of nasty letters already:

The answer to the typewriter puzzle is in room 101

Now please stop threatening to hurt my kitty. Professor Marshmellow has nothing to do with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2009
    262 Posts
    I'm going to just spoil this one because i'm getting a lot of nasty letters already:

The answer to the typewriter puzzle is in room 101

Now please stop threatening to hurt my kitty. Professor Marshmellow has nothing to do with this.
    There's also some Easter Eggs with the typewriter. Fuck if I know what they are.

Also, you're lucky I got lazy and didn't finish the Slide Puzzle.

You're welcome.

EDIT: We're going to re-release the map with some slight altering(Mostly to fix some tiny bugs) when we upload to Garrysmod.org. You won't notice any real differences in design, so it won't require a second playthrough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    364 Posts
    Update

We fixed some shit. Because someone said we would.

Dropbox

Mediafire

Changes:
    -Typewriter has been redesigned so that it should be much clearer on what the player needs to do.

-Some minor behind the scenes changes, mostly involving how triggers and the loading doors interact.

Garrysmod.org is still on the fritz but I will try to upload it there soon. Peace y'all i'm going to bed now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    June 2009
    1,765 Posts
    Well, i dont see maps like these by a loong time...
    Loved it, played it without checking Facepunch for hints (Only used the internet to    Check the dates of the persons in the pictures    the history is very awesome, in the end    Where the guy tells the story about the persons on his left and right    i have done my best to dont cry, and i havent, but its wonderful.
    Also, i laughed at the    My Little Pony    loadscreen easter-egg.

Sure its a great map, i recommend everyone to try this!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    SEXIST FUCK
    November 2010
    3,151 Posts
    I'm pretty sure he just rolls his face up and down the keyboard, and sometimes computers understand what it means.
    This is interesting.

played through the map, just wow. its very rare we get gmod adventure maps like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    February 2009
    3,884 Posts
    Wow, this was excellent. Good to see that you refrained from blatant 'fuck you ima popup in yo face and scream' tactics.
    The only down side is the     large text bit at the end. while it served the purpous of tying things up, the average user who finds this map on gmod.org isn't going to stick around to read it.   

Edited:

also, do you think you could re-release this so us posers could use this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2009
    262 Posts
    Wow, this was excellent. Good to see that you refrained from blatant 'fuck you ima popup in yo face and scream' tactics.
    The only down side is the     large text bit at the end. while it served the purpous of tying things up, the average user who finds this map on gmod.org isn't going to stick around to read it.   

Edited:

also, do you think you could release this so us posers could use this?
    The map and all the code is free to use. I: Just make sure to give credit is all we ask for.

14. Post #14
    February 2009
    3,884 Posts
    no no no, posing, like gmod and ragdolls

Edited:

Never mind, I just deleted the lua file, problem solved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    364 Posts
    .org mirror is live

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

December 2009
    8 Posts
    I can't get past the tutorial because the generator and crank are errors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    364 Posts
    You need episode 2 to play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18

December 2009
    8 Posts
    You should put that in the description, unless you already have and i'm just blind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2008
    154 Posts
    Amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,243 Posts
    Okay, I was shit scared from the beginning.
    The atmosphere is very similar to Silent Hill 2 and that's why it's very creepy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member

October 2010
    457 Posts
    Could you perhaps make another map like this with loading screens n shit but that isn't silent hill based?
    I keep getting shitted up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,013 Posts
    Very nice map, very well made.

What in the name of god was up with the pony in the loading screen all of a sudden though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2010
    2,113 Posts
    Is the lighter suppose to not emit a flame?

Edited:

No really, I refuse to play this until I see if the lighter works right...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Took me around an hour to get through the map. I really thought it was yet another stupid deatchmatch map but I gave it a shot anyways. And I'm glad I did. This has a wierd, yet amazing story to it and the map is small and simple, but feels so... perfect?!

Thanks for this great release
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    January 2010
    2,113 Posts
    Played it anyway...holy shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,397 Posts
    I feel stupid, how obvious is the clue for the typewriter in room 101?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,819 Posts
       You need to replace the lightbulb on the lamp with the blue one.   

Very cool map! Was linked to this by a friend and played through it. Enjoyed the entire map and was extremely glad there weren't any screamers in the map - it kept classy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,542 Posts

Enough horror already! Jesus!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    August 2007
    760 Posts
    Pretty cool map, just started so far.. pretty eerie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I will take every opportunity to remind you that I'm not gay
    January 2010
    5,897 Posts
    -snip because facepunch is fail-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,626 Posts
    Fellow brony, perhaps?
    who gives a fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 27Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    364 Posts
    So far, I've noticed this, and the Rarity "Scream" painting in the bathroom.

Fellow brony, perhaps?
    Nah, I don't really have any opinions on the show, I was just kind of hoping someone would get really angry about ponies in a videogame.

Hey kids

Some good samaritan's by the name of Sam and MacDguy fixed some small issues with the game, I don't want to mac a big deal about it but they really are cool guys.

Get it here

The patch fixes some typos with the thing at the end, some key description, and restores the flame to the lighter. Pretty nifty eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    I will take every opportunity to remind you that I'm not gay
    January 2010
    5,897 Posts
    Nah, I don't really have any opinions on the show, I was just kind of hoping someone would get really angry about ponies in a videogame.
    Ah, okay. I'm a guy who just assumes things too quickly.

Still amusing though.

Edit:
    Glad there's no screamers. Scary maps without those are a-okay in my book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    September 2005
    48 Posts

oh hellllllll naw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 16Funny Funny x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,608 Posts
    When i   took the pliers from the pills and i was locked in, and someone walked up to the door, i hid behind the fridge and almost   shat myself.

Also, the bit where the   hanging   girl   disapears, i knew it was coming from the start, but it still   freaked   me out.   

Thanks for having    a REAL horror map with no    screamers!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2010
    928 Posts
    You can scary people by two ways: first one is the easiest one - scare people by suddenness.
    And the second way is - psychological, there is no sudden appearance of something right to your face, just gloomy atmosphere that can make you quit the game, because you will be afraid of it.
    This map is a great example of second way. I wish that there were more maps like this one.

Warning, possibly spoilers in the picture.
    Also, this is reference to Afraid of Monsters?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2007
    760 Posts
    Wow the AoM references make me love this map more now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,460 Posts
    Does this map work in Gmod multiplayer? Might coop with a friend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Indonesia Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    August 2007
    760 Posts
    I wish it did, but it doesn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    SEXIST FUCK
    November 2010
    3,151 Posts
       Where can find the entrance to the other side of the 3rd floor?   

getting pretty confused with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)