1. Post #1
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    What should you take when you go urbexing?

The basics: a torch, camera, friend, water
    If you're a bit more serious: rope, climbing gear, helmet, high vis, small first aid kit, 2 or more torches, high-vis, tripod, friends, food, water all contained in a nice sturdy backpack.

You're of course going to need the most basic of things: a torch

Urbex in most places is pretty difficult at the best of times, and without a torch you might not notice a hole in a floor, miss a wall or just get lost. The places you visit don't have lighting, it's all what comes through the windows (which might not be alot). You should also carry a backup, incase your main ones battery dies or just stops working cos you got it out your basement and threw a few Energizers you saw on your desk into it and ran out into the first derlict building you saw.

So, you need a decent torch or two.
    An expensive, but brilliant torch comes in the Lenser series.

The Lenser MT7 has 220 lumens of illuminating power to guide you through whatever you find, and it 60, maybe a bit much for the relaxed explorer.

The torch most of you would buy is the Maplin CREE LED torch

You can pick one of these up for 15 from your local maplin and they are brilliant. You can buy a couple of em, stick them in your bag and go out. According to one review, you can even batter people with it if they get too close for comfort.

That's just one of the things you need. If anybody else wants to write a section on a bit of gear they use (tripods + cameras is a good place to start) post it and ill chuck it in the op.

Edited:

Something else you might consider packing is a high-vis jacket. If you're sneaking into somewhere near a building site or some railway property, wearing a yellow or orange high vis always helps and people will see you and not really care you're there. I pack a plain yellow one and an EWS one I acquired legitimately.

Edited:

You might also want to get a cheap first aid kit, they usually can be found in pound stores, just incase you fuck your hand up on something it would let you patch up and make going on a little bit more bearable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    A torch I would recommend is a 2D-Cell Maglite

http://www.maglite.com/product.asp?psc=2DCELL

I use one and if you go on the Maglite website they have plenty of stories where they drove a truck or something ridiculous over it and it still works.

But don't use cheap batteries in them as the light output will be really low
    Or if you want many sites do LED upgrades for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    the maglites are tough as nails, but not as bright as a lenser or cree led
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    condoms
    for the gay hobo rape

remember dont touch the hobos bed it has aids
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 36Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    the maglites are tough as nails, but not as bright as a lenser or cree led
    Possibly the LED upgrade could make it much better.
    I'll tell you in the future after I get one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,916 Posts
    I got a cheap little clip on light as a gift a few years ago that works really well since its actually fairly bright, but has alternate modes for green and red light. The red in particular is great at night since it doesn't really affect your night vision.

See, for me, I have a fascination with survivalism (not a survivalist, but could be), so the transfer to Urbex was simple. Most of the stuff I had collected was already great for it.

Also, add either Dust Masks or Gas Masks to the list. You don't know when you could happen across something potentially hazardous in the air, such as asbestos or chemicals. If you do run in to anything truly dangerous though, best to leave for your own safety.

Edited:

Glow sticks can also be nice if you want to keep an area lit without using batteries. I actually had to use these for about a week after the April 27 tornado outbreak down here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Dust Masks You are apparently looking for something like this to combat asbestos
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=290495966631

which makes sense as I have saw a few used lying around in Urbex sites
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    If you're gonna use masks, you're better buying a cheap respirator and filters, cheaper in the long run.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Or go for a medium range one that will defiantly protect you for a long time which could be cheaper in the long run and more importantly stop you dying of many asbestos related diseases

10. Post #10
    February 2009
    724 Posts
    Never cut back on respirators. They could mean having cancer years later or not. I'd take a pair of steady boots aswell (preferably army boots, not that expensive in most military dumps) since they protect you from all kinds of shit on the floor.

I am not fairly sure about the glowsticks, how much light do they emit? (Although they could be awesome for nifty light trick photo things).

11. Post #11
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Never cut back on respirators. They could mean having cancer years later or not. I'd take a pair of steady boots aswell (preferably army boots, not that expensive in most military dumps) since they protect you from all kinds of shit on the floor.

I am not fairly sure about the glowsticks, how much light do they emit? (Although they could be awesome for nifty light trick photo things).
    I would also recommend Assault Boots around 30 slightly used condition
    And as for the glowsticks it depends on the type, If its those cheap ones its useless, but there are higher end military glowsticks that are supposed to be bright.

On another note I need a respirator, Any recommendations?

12. Post #12
    April 2011
    1,045 Posts
    Another useful torch is a really small one but really powerful lights. (Like mine)

It fits in your pocket well and only needs four Wincell batteries. (Small, flat, circular)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,937 Posts
    I usually use my bike light, as it can blindingly light up an entire room and lasts 3 hours on a single charge or 5 hours using flash illumination [which is surprisingly usable]

It has three modes, bright, blinding, and flashing blinding. I put a red filter on mine so it would wreck my night vision a little less as a reflection of it's beam can put dark spots in your sight that take about a minute to go away.

It's also incredibly tiny and light, making it able to be strapped to my wrist or hat so I can have my hands free while exploring.

14. Post #14
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts

P3 rated mask if there's a risk of asbestos is a good idea even though I don't bother with it much anymore, I just avoid asbestos all together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Two other torches

5 9LED TORCH (Rubber Coat) http://www.maplin.co.uk/9-led-rubber-torch-509533
    3 9LED TORCH (Metal) http://www.maplin.co.uk/9-led-aluminium-torch-507637
    They are really Cheap and for once don't go for the more expensive one as I have managed to break the Rubber/Plastic one but not the metal one

16. Post #16
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Two other torches

5 9LED TORCH (Rubber Coat) http://www.maplin.co.uk/9-led-rubber-torch-509533
    3 9LED TORCH (Metal) http://www.maplin.co.uk/9-led-aluminium-torch-507637
    They are really Cheap and for once don't go for the more expensive one as I have managed to break the Rubber/Plastic one but not the metal one
    they are bright close up but total crap for throw. they also sell a 13 CREE torch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    they are bright close up but total crap for throw. they also sell a 13 CREE torch
    They are good as a back-up but yep I need to get a proper LED torch
    Only problem I have with D-Cell torches is the batteries cost a fortune

18. Post #18
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    They are good as a back-up but yep I need to get a proper LED torch
    Only problem I have with D-Cell torches is the batteries cost a fortune
    the 13 one is tiny and uses wee thin ones or AAAs i can't remember

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,099 Posts
    a gun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 31Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,099 Posts
    ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 29 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    912 Posts
    Possibly the LED upgrade could make it much better.
    I'll tell you in the future after I get one.
    They are quite bright, and be sure to get the newest LED's. They're brighter than the old LED's. MagLite has an LED Upgrade Kit that you can buy for your incandescent one, and it's pretty cheap. Be sure to use good batteries.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,950 Posts
    I have a camelpack and I love it. It's a hell of a lot better than carrying around bottles of water.

23. Post #23
    December 2009
    2,149 Posts
    I fucking love those things.

24. Post #24
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,916 Posts
    I have a camelpack and I love it. It's a hell of a lot better than carrying around bottles of water.

I just stick with a plain water bottle strapped in with the rest of my gear. I don't drink a lot anyway so it does just fine. I also get really uncomfortable with those things on, they rub my back raw.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    715 Posts
    i use this torch
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-1-18650-55241
    it is absolutely brilliant it has good flood and throw, comes with strobe and sos modes which can come in handy. 500 lumen's and haven't had a problem with it in 9 months :)

26. Post #26
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,143 Posts
    Currently I have a mag-lite 3D and 4D, but the batteries are getting too expensive, thinking about getting a cheap led lenser or something, I really would like something with the same range and power again tho. and of course a focus ring.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,222 Posts
    I usually prefer a head lamp over a flashlight to have both hands free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,878 Posts
    I've never done this before, would you need a hard hat or anything?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2010
    2,109 Posts
    I've never done this before, would you need a hard hat or anything?
    I would imagine the only circumstance you would require a hardhat in is if the building is in extremely bad shape.

30. Post #30
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,916 Posts
    I would imagine the only circumstance you would require a hardhat in is if the building is in extremely bad shape.
    I mean, it could possibly be a good idea in some circumstances, because sometimes something can just fall over accidentally, but without being part of the overall structure, like loose pipes or boards. You shouldn't need one 99% of the time though.

31. Post #31
    April 2010
    156 Posts
    If you're worried about chemicals and abspestes pick up a PMK, M 15, or a GP 5/6/7. Thoses are good masks and will definantly protect ya. Make sure you pick up some NATO filters if it came with unsleaed ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    October 2010
    3,292 Posts
    An extra pair of socks for fucks sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

33. Post #33
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    beer!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

December 2004
    2 Posts
    Yes, by all means, bring a dehydrating, bulky beverage. Then you can leave your detritus behind like all the other human filth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 15Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    i carry my empties out

always
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    December 2009
    2,102 Posts
    A gun just in case, a flashlight, socks, t-shirt, grappling hook, commando-mask and luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    426 Posts
    torchlight, medkit, cellular, mask, gloves are the very important thing... take some other things like a bottle of water another pairs of shoes and socks if you walk by accident in something creepy...maybe you should add a shirt too...

torchlight: in case you must access to a dark area

Medkit: you can hurt yourself there, you never know and you must clean wounds rapidly to doesnt get infection..

Cellular: If you have an accident... you can call help

Gloves: to don't touch creepy things with your own hands...

mask: do i really must explain you why its needed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2010
    3,946 Posts
    I would bring a crowbar and bolt cutters. That way I could brake into any location I want to explore.

Also, I could pretend that I'm Gordon Freeman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    but then nobody else could get in there after authorities realize and lock it up tighter

don't fall into that trap
    get some skill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40

April 2011
    42 Posts
    Being as i have a drivers license and a car now i may have to go to some of the places I've heard of in NJ.

useful thread and stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)