1. Post #1
    Garry doesn't deserve a penny of my money
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    What is pocketSteam?
    pocketSteam is a platform that allows people to talk to people in their steam friends on multiple devices, such as mobile phones and tablets.

How can I use this?
    There will be a web app that should work on most platforms and device, and an android app that will be specifcly designed for ease of use on android phones.

So how does it work
    Using the SteamRE library created by Voided, my server handles steam connections and relays important data back to your client (such as friends list and messages) and also recieves commands

Are there any limits with this
    Only a certain amount of people will be able to use pocketSteam at a time due to limits on the server

Is this useable yet
    Almost, there are still quite a few bugs and missing features, but you can use the web app to talk to your friends

When will this be released?
    No ETA yet

I don't want to give you my steam password
    Sorry, the only way to connect is with your username & password, a OpenID login isn't enough. But don't worry I don't log your password.

MEDIA

The website, talking from my account to my test account

The website, showing the friends list

Android app, the friends list (avatars not displayed yet and will be toggleable)

https://www.pocketsteam.com/ <--- web app, if you use this please tell me of any problems you encounter (such as it not connecting)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner x 65Useful x 8Programming King x 6Friendly x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    ~ an extraordinary gentleman ~
    December 2006
    1,347 Posts
    Can you add a "Login with Steam" option? I'm kind of wary of typing my username and password to foreign websites without any type of OpenID. I hope you understand.

Amazing work though, any chance of an iOS app or is the mobile website designed for it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 45 (list)

3. Post #3
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,832 Posts
    Can't login, says i need to enter the steam guard access code, but i'm not getting one in my email.

4. Post #4
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    Can you add a "Login with Steam" option? I'm kind of wary of typing my username and password to foreign websites without any type of OpenID. I hope you understand.

Amazing work though, any chance of an iOS app or is the mobile website designed for it?
    I can't use the OpenID service as that only returns your SteamID, while for chatting I need to connect to steam with your username & password. I don't have any way to make a iOS app (no dev licence or mac) but if anyone here is intrested in making one contact me and i'll give you details on how to use the pocketSteam backend.

Edited:

Can't login, says i need to enter the steam guard access code, but i'm not getting one in my email.
    Make sure you're checking the right email, its automaticly sent by valve when you get rejected due to missing Steam Guard auth.

5. Post #5
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,832 Posts
    I can't use the OpenID service as that only returns your SteamID, while for chatting I need to connect to steam with your username & password. I don't have any way to make a iOS app (no dev licence or mac) but if anyone here is intrested in making one contact me and i'll give you details on how to use the pocketSteam backend.

Edited:

Make sure you're checking the right email, its automaticly sent by valve when you get rejected due to missing Steam Guard auth.
    I know

I got the mail, although like half an hour later, that's why I thought it wasn't working, as steam usually are instant when it comes to emailing.

Edited:

This is great, works nicely, although there are some bugs.

- When switching to a conversation, the scrollbar is reset to the top
    - Doesn't show offline contacts(feature or bug?)

Some stuff i'd like to see are

- See people's status (in the chat, both current and a message if they changed it)
    - Set your own status
    - Close conversations (didn't see a button for it)

I'm sure you're already working on these, as they are quite obvious, but i decided to post it anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    I know

This is great, works nicely, although there are some bugs.

- When switching to a conversation, the scrollbar is reset to the top
    - Doesn't show offline contacts(feature or bug?)

Some stuff i'd like to see are

- See people's status (in the chat, both current and a message if they changed it)
    - Set your own status
    - Close conversations (didn't see a button for it)

I'm sure you're already working on these, as they are quite obvious, but i decided to post it anyway.
    Thanks for the bugs, will release the fix in a bit. It doesn't show offline contacts until I add ordering by state (ingame top, then online and offline at bottom)
    Those features will be added soon.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,732 Posts
    Can I create an empty steam account to use this? I don't trust you, OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    You can if you wish, but I assure you I don't store passwords.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,832 Posts
    He would still need to access your email to get a steam guard key, so it's not like he can instantly steal your account if he has your details.

You'll also notice if someone has tried to login to your account since you'll be getting emails with keys from steam
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,597 Posts
    OP, while I'm sure you're trustworthy, having something like this be open source would help a lot of people into believing you aren't just phishing for passwords.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2011
    166 Posts
    Is this completely legal? (for both you and us).

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,769 Posts
    Is this completely legal? (for both you and us).
    It's probably in a gray-zone (like using No-CD cracks on software) but I don't think Valve would get mad about it, personally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    568 Posts
    This website is awesome!
    Im on holiday at the moment for 2 weeks and using this app i can still talk to my gaming buddys frequently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    This website is awesome!
    Im on holiday at the moment for 2 weeks and using this app i can still talk to my gaming buddys frequently.
    Cool, have you had any troubles connecting or losing connection?

15. Post #15
    November 2008
    1,023 Posts
    Cool, have you had any troubles connecting or losing connection?
    I used it for a day, no connection troubles. You could add closing chat tabs because if there's more than there can fit on one line it screws up.

16. Post #16
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    I used it for a day, no connection troubles. You could add closing chat tabs because if there's more than there can fit on one line it screws up.
    Yeah, its still a work in progress. Tabs closing will be in the next release.

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    111 Posts
    This is really useful, great work!

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,769 Posts
    I'm not able to use it very easily on my iPod Touch 2G - It asks for the Steam guard key but I get it in about an hour so it's of no use even trying to login :(

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,745 Posts
    Can you chat with groups?
    Thats the only think I miss about Vapour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,895 Posts
    It's probably in a gray-zone (like using No-CD cracks on software) but I don't think Valve would get mad about it, personally.
    Isn't that what everyone said about SteamStats?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,574 Posts
    This is perfect for my old craptop. I love you.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,769 Posts
    Isn't that what everyone said about SteamStats?
    I've never heard of SteamStats, but if it's something that networks data from Valve's servers they probably wouldn't mind at all unless you were using bandwidth or something

23. Post #23

July 2011
    131 Posts
    Fantastic.

24. Post #24
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    I'm not able to use it very easily on my iPod Touch 2G - It asks for the Steam guard key but I get it in about an hour so it's of no use even trying to login :(
    The emails are automaticly sent by Valve, so its just valve being slow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,769 Posts
    I get them almost instantly through the Steam client, though.. :o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,895 Posts
    I've never heard of SteamStats, but if it's something that networks data from Valve's servers they probably wouldn't mind at all unless you were using bandwidth or something
    Steamsats was that TF2 idler program.

Then Valve put a new clause in the TOS and punished everyone who used it by erasing thier backpack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,832 Posts
    When is the android version coming?

28. Post #28

April 2011
    103 Posts
    It's a different language, so unless someone ports it to Java. Then it won't happen. (Well there is MonoTouch.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,112 Posts
    It's a different language, so unless someone ports it to Java. Then it won't happen. (Well there is MonoTouch.)
    Have you even read the OP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30

April 2011
    103 Posts
    Have you even read the OP?
    That android app in the OP relies on the pocketSteam back end. I would prefer direct access to Steam.

31. Post #31
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,832 Posts
    That android app in the OP relies on the pocketSteam back end. I would prefer direct access to Steam.
    I wouldn't really mind, just as long as i don't have to zoom in and fiddle around with the page to make the chat visible, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    October 2008
    1,097 Posts
    When is the android version coming?
    Android version is taking a while, but it should be ready for testing by the end of this month.

Edited:

Actually I think I may have just fixed that Steam Guard email problem by updating to the latest SteamRE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,769 Posts
    You have INDEED fixed it! Thanks a bunch! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    8,582 Posts
    Can you make an iOS app too? Thanks.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,769 Posts
    Can you make an iOS app too? Thanks.
    You don't quite need an app for this, you can just bookmark the webpage to your home screen with Safari
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,196 Posts
    If you think im going to send my steam login information to your server then your wrong.

Either way how would this work as the new security measure requires you to get a string sent to your email when accessing from another computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,769 Posts
    When you login, it sends the code to your email. You just put the code into the new input that comes up and it authorizes you. Even if he had your password, he'd also need access to your email account tied to your steam account. It's safe, calm down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    My email password is my steam password. So I'd be fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,141 Posts
    I don't trust the creator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,573 Posts
    My email password is my steam password. So I'd be fucked.
    Change one of them!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)