1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,892 Posts
    UPDATED!

LIVE COVERAGE (possibly UK only): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675

Some 16,000 officers will police London's streets in a bid to prevent a fourth night of rioting, with the Met Police drafting support from 30 forces. Businesses in some areas closed early in a bid to avoid the kind of violence that spread through London on Monday. David Cameron has recalled Parliament for Thursday in response to the "sickening scenes", which prompted unrest in other cities.

Tuesday evening brought disturbances in Greater Manchester and West Bromwich. West Midlands Police were dealing with sporadic disorder in Wolverhampton, while youths had smashed shop windows and set cars alight in nearby West Bromwich. Riot police were also surrounding Birmingham's Mailbox high-end shopping building.

Greater Manchester Police were involved in a stand-off with 70 to 80 young people in Salford, where a building was set alight, while a Miss Selfridge store was reportedly set on fire in Manchester city centre.

The Metropolitan force has released what it says will be the "first of many" CCTV images of rioting suspects, while 32 people have appeared in court charged with offences such as burglary and criminal damage during the previous riots. Among them were a graphic designer, college students, a youth worker, a university graduate and a man signed up to join the army. Some gave non-London addresses. Eighteen were remanded in custody.

So far 563 people have been arrested and 105 charged in connection with violence in the capital.

Some 111 police officers have suffered injuries including serous head and eye wounds, cuts and fractured bones after being attacked by rioters wielding bottles, planks, bricks and even driving cars at them. Five police dogs have also been hurt. However, the force has drafted in special constables and community support officers to ensure five times the usual number of officers for a Tuesday will be on duty. Similar staffing levels will be maintained over three days.

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard said a 26-year-old man found shot in a car in Croydon, amid rioting in the south London town, had died in hospital.

Follow the story on Sky News tv channel (UK)

Also trending worldwide on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23prayforlondon

Updated:

Confirmed, the rioting has spread to other parts of the country, including Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol and many smaller towns.

FACTS:

Code:
    Arrests so far in London (since Saturday night): 525

London arrests on Monday night: 310

People charged: 99

Arrests in Birmingham: 138

Emergency calls to police on Monday night: 20,800 - compared to 5,400 normally. A 400% increase

Emergency calls to the London Fire Brigade on Monday night: 2,169 - 15 times the normal amount

Police officers injured on Monday night: 44

Places where extra police in London came from on Monday night: Thames Valley, Kent, Essex, Hampshire, Surrey, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Sussex

Number of police patrolling London tonight: 16,000

Minimum cost of the riots so far: 100m

Small shops damaged on Monday night: 93

@riotcleanup followers at 15:20: 38,530

Members of the public cleaning up Clapham Junction area: 350

Specific events identified by the Guardian so far: 160
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly x 61Winner x 10Funny x 5Artistic x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2011
    1,416 Posts
    destroy city property to get what you want

it always (never) works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 93Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,145 Posts
    HOLY SHIT !
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts
    I decided not to make a thread because I couldn't get proper info on the shooting that sparked it.

The shooting was originally reported in the thread British Cop Saved After Bullet Hits His Radio

I can't get any clarity on whether the man shot was the police's intended target, and/or the one that shot back at the police

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    3,020 Posts

it always (never) works
    riots never work?

shows your education
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 85Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Hi
    February 2010
    12,231 Posts
    Hope no one gets hurt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 16Friendly Friendly x 12Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    March 2011
    1,218 Posts
    It'll blow over by morning.

I hope...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,092 Posts
    Why can't we have intense shit like this here?

Oh wait, we did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,103 Posts

Oh wait, we did.
    Over a game of hockey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 192Funny x 20Agree x 5Winner x 4Informative x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    January 2009
    755 Posts
    I decided not to make a thread because I couldn't get proper info on the shooting that sparked it.

The shooting was originally reported in the thread British Cop Saved After Bullet Hits His Radio

I can't get any clarity on whether the man shot was the police's intended target, and/or the one that shot back at the police
    I see. I'll have a dig around too. One would think police shooting someone who is shooting back at, and has already shot an officer is understandable and not something worth starting a riot over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2011
    1,416 Posts
    riots never work?

shows your education
    aren't you one of the racists from yesterday?

attacked any black youths today?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 35Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Hi
    February 2010
    12,231 Posts

Oh wait, we did.
    Not like rioting and stuff is something to be happy about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,342 Posts
    UK is always rioting. Guess the government really fucks up hard. Or the people are too ill tempered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 64Disagree Disagree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts
    UK is always rioting. Guess the government really fucks up hard. Or the people are too ill tempered.
    You didn't even read a single word of the OP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 28Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    December 2009
    7,484 Posts
    Wait, so the people are rioting over the shooting of a man who attempted to murder a police officer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts
    Wait, so the people are rioting over the shooting of a man who attempted to murder a police officer?
    No one seems to be able to confirm it yet but presumably he was a bystander who was accidentally shot by police attempting to get someone else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 9 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,342 Posts
    You didn't even read a single word of the OP?
    Most of the problems are caused by the government, but yea I kinda did read it...

I agree that a protest in this case was a good idea, but what the hell caused it to go this bad?

18. Post #18
    August 2007
    971 Posts

it always (never) works
    It stopped the WTO summit from taking place in Seattle.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts
    Most of the problems are caused by the government, but yea I kinda did read it...

I agree that a protest in this case was a good idea, but what the hell caused it to go this bad?
    Now that is a problem with the UK. We don't seem to be able to have large peaceful protests without them turning to rioting and burning cars. The fucking Egyptian Revolution was more peaceful than anything we can do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 27Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2009
    7,484 Posts
    No one seems to be able to confirm it yet but presumably he was a bystander who was accidentally shot by police attempting to get someone else
    Okay then. If that is so, I can see them being a bit angry about it, but this still really crosses the line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts
    The details according to the BBC just now on TV are that yesterday the Police were trying to arrest a man in a taxi cab. 3 shots were fired, 2 of them killed Mark Duggan, who was a passenger in the cab, and a third bullet was found lodged in a Police Officer's badge so was presumably fired by someone else.

The BBC don't know whether Mark Duggan was the Police's intended target, whether he fired the third bullet, or who fired first. The Met appears to be refusing to say anything until they get forensics on the bullets and stuff, but I doubt they'll be allowed to withhold the details after tonight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 9 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,342 Posts
    I just wanna know, how the hell do you go from "THIS ISN'T RIGHT LAW ENFORCEMENT!" to "KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL THEM!!! *Blood foaming mouth*"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

23. Post #23
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,366 Posts
    Is this related to the police officer who took a bullet to the radio and lived?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,342 Posts
    The details according to the BBC just now on TV are that yesterday the Police were trying to arrest a man in a taxi cab. 3 shots were fired, 2 of them killed Mark Duggan, who was a passenger in the cab, and a third bullet was found lodged in a Police Officer's badge so was presumably fired by someone else.

The BBC don't know whether Mark Duggan was the Police's intended target, whether he fired the third bullet, or who fired first. The Met appears to be refusing to say anything until they get forensics on the bullets and stuff.
    Now that's amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Insensitive Jackass
    June 2011
    1,945 Posts
    Tear gas those idiots, you don't need to go all fucking batshit insane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts
    I just wanna know, how the hell do you go from "THIS ISN'T RIGHT LAW ENFORCEMENT!" to "KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL THEM!!! *Blood foaming mouth*"
    At any peaceful protest this size, there are always people who don't care about the cause, and just want to turn it into a riot. The British public and our police forces are shit at singling these people out and removing them. All too often the Met just kettles the whole protest, causing the entire crowd to turn on them and there you have a riot.

I don't know if there was kettling in this case but it definitely appears to have begun peacefully according to BBC, so straight away there should have been police there looking out for idiots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    355 Posts
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...n-tottenham.do

Another source on the original shooting. Not a particularily reputable paper so take it all with a grain of salt.

Interesting how the witness made out the guy was on the floor incapable of doing anything but also says 4 shots were fired. Later they say 2 shots were fired by the police so someone must have shot the other 2.

What are the police meant to do, run the fuck away and let him go? No, they're going to shoot the dumb fuck. If you are going to shoot when you are surrounded by armed police like that you are either dumb as fuck (plus high on adrenaline) or expecting to die.

Also, just wait for the IPCC report before rioting you fuckwits. As soon as a police fires a weapon in active duty the shit hits the fan for them - automatic suspension etc until a full enquiry is carried out.

People can be fucking idiots, anyone remember the people Egging Raoul Moat on and thinking he was some kind of hero for trying to murder people & police? And they even acted outraged when the police cornered him and he finally shot himself. Thankfully these people are a minority and the rest of the country is sane, but there's enough of them to have a small riot it seems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2011
    1,218 Posts
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...n-tottenham.do

Another source on the original shooting. Not a particularily reputable paper so take it all with a grain of salt.

Interesting how the witness made out the guy was on the floor incapable of doing anything but also says 4 shots were fired. Later they say 2 shots were fired by the police so someone must have shot the other 2.

What are the police meant to do, run the fuck away and let him go? No, they're going to shoot the dumb fuck. If you are going to shoot when you are surrounded by armed police like that you are either dumb as fuck (plus high on adrenaline) or expecting to die.

Also, just wait for the IPCC report before rioting you fuckwits. As soon as a police fires a weapon in active duty the shit hits the fan for them - automatic suspension etc until a full enquiry is carried out.
    You're trying to reason with a bunch of chav's hell bent on causing violence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,085 Posts
    Oh man, this is intennseeeee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Click here for instant Gumby.
    November 2010
    4,445 Posts
    I hope this doesn't sound really bad....But I giggled when I seen the smoking wreck with a sign in front of it saying "Low emission zone".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 19Zing Zing x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,892 Posts
    I hope this doesn't sound really bad....But I giggled when I seen the smoking wreck with a sign in front of it saying "Low emission zone".
    You inconsiderate bastard, think of our beautiful planet full of these beautiful peop....nevermind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 9 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,499 Posts
    Prediction of course of events:

1) Politicians publically vow to prevent further shootings by tightening gun law further.
    2) This law is enforced in gun clubs/target ranges, where people are mostly law abiding.
    3) Nothing is done about actual gun crime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 26Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,725 Posts

it always (never) works
    Destroying property is a nasty side-effect of riots. Riots are the part that works. Perhaps you remember the incident in this little country called Egypt? And Libya?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    Click here for instant Gumby.
    November 2010
    4,445 Posts
    BBC pointing out the obvious a bit here.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 90Zing Zing x 3Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    5,896 Posts
    Anarchists.

UK's full of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,328 Posts
    BBC pointing out the obvious a bit here.

I just thought they were "mildly angry". Thanks for clearing that up BBC!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts
    Destroying property is a nasty side-effect of riots. Riots are the part that works. Perhaps you remember the incident in this little country called Egypt? And Libya?
    Riots did nothing in either of those countries, and they rarely do. In Egypt, rioting was largely in isolated pockets, and I remember us admiring the protesters in the I love baton thread who got into groups and handed rioters and looters over to the police.

In Libya, neither rioting nor peaceful protesting was enough, they had to arm themselves and fight the government.

Any regime that ignores a sizeable peaceful protest is going to ignore a riot too, and for a regime which cracks down on protesters, rioting is just going to help them justify it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Power to the people!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,787 Posts
    Prediction of course of events:

1) Politicians publically vow to prevent further shootings by tightening gun law further.
    2) This law is enforced in gun clubs/target ranges, where people are mostly law abiding.
    3) Nothing is done about actual gun crime.
    I agree but Imagine what these riots would be like if guns where legal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    December 2009
    2,145 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 5 (list)