1. Post #1
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    Hey everyone. There has been a growing interest in Entropia Universe on the Facepunch forums, so I thought it'd be a great idea to start our own discussion thread
    about the game without getting hammered by insults from people who don't appreciate the game. So new and old players alike, welcome!

What is Entropia Universe?

Entropia Universe is a massively multiplayer online virtual universe that uses a micropayment business model, in which players may buy in-game currency (PED - Project Entropia Dollars), and also convert it back to real life dollars.
    This means that virtual items acquired within Entropia Universe have a real cash value!

The game can be downloaded and played for free. However, a new player receives only a basic colonist jumpsuit, and a tool for gathering sweat from creatures. By collecting and selling sweat from creatures, you can earn PEDs in-game to spend on your chosen profession. Of course, if you decide you want to deposit some money from your bank account at the start you can get into the beef of the game much faster, and start having more fun with friends. For example, by depositing $10USD you can easily purchase hunting starting equipment and then go from there.

A few example professions:
    Hunting
    Mining
    Crafting (Weapons, armor, clothing)
    Store Management
    Real Estate
    Beauty (Salon and Body modifications)
    Skill Implants (You skill your character, then use a microchip to extract the skill and sell it on the market for PEDs)

The economy in this game is real. A good example would be the crafting profession. A lot of craftsman will pay a lot of PED for things like wool so they can craft clothing. So guess what? As a hunter, going out and killing beasts for cloth earns you more profit. The same goes for other materials like iron, which armor and weapon makers would pay a markup for.

You should turn back if you don't like games that require you to use your brain, and a little patience!

Although Entropia is a complicated, and sometimes a slow game, you can still just have fun with your friends. Whether that is hanging around Port Atlantis with your clanmates (known as societies in-game) or going hunting and helping each other out in combat. Teamwork is a big gameplay element for hunters in Entropia. Some people like myself like to take a support role, which involves healing other squad mates and setting up distractions for the harder monsters. Me personally, I never plan to make real world money from the game. I just go in to play and have fun hunting with friends, and do my best as a beginner paramedic.

Are you interested in giving it a go? There are a few ways you can play the game..

A lot of people are asking if Entropia is Free-to-Play... yes and no. If you want to play Entropia completely free from the start you're going to need to be a lot more patient. Many players do something called 'sweating', which is a group activity in the game which is pretty much a grind. About 2 hours of sweating with a group of people will get you enough PED's to go on a single hunt, which isn't too bad, but it also depends on the profession you want to do. I only mention hunting all the time because that is what my profession is, so I feel like I can explain things better by talking about something I know more about. Others spend their hard earned PED's on Mining which I've heard is more profitable, but I haven't given that a go yet.

For those who can spare the money, there is depositing. Some people prefer to avoid sweating all together and spend $10 or so a month on Entropia and get PED's that way. Think of depositing as a MMO monthly fee, except you get to choose what that monthly fee is.

Still interested in playing?

Entropia Universe is a very difficult game to get started in without the help of other, more experienced players. I'm sure there will be a few of you who want to give the game a go, and I'd really like to personally mentor you into the game, but It's just an impossible feat I cannot do alone, as I am a beginner myself. Because of this, I have passed on a message to a in-game Society called the "Vikings of Calypso" which I'm a new recruit in. They are gladly accepting newbie applications. You can apply for membership at any Society terminal in-game. These terminals can be found nearly everywhere.

Before applying:

1. This is not an absolute requirement, but more of a recommendation: Do the quests around the starting areas when you first log in. A lot of these quests will teach you the basics on how to play and they will also send you around to different areas, which is a good way to familiarize yourself with locations in the game. They will also teach you basic knowledge about how equiptment and such works. This will give you a stronger platform to ask questions from, and a better understanding of the answers that society members will provide you.

You can sign up and download the client at:
    http://www.entropiauniverse.com/
    MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP TO LIVE ON PLANET CALYPSO!

Known Facepunch Players:
    Simazzarome - Andrew Andy Grafton
    gnisasas - Sir Sasasing Burrito
    norzone - Otic Norzone Kims
    MadPro119 - Ark Bishop Serius
    Bugga12 - Andylon Stig Sabz
    alx12345 - Alexandre Vermette
    Fish_poke - Nic Wyglef Bremar
    RichyZ - Richard RichyZ Zennikan
    Contag - melise contag madden
    scratch (nl) - Wright Frier Jeremy
    HeroicPillow - Ronaldo Gate Simmon
    Bionicchick - Bionic Biotic Johnson
    Psygo - Sequoia Olimpia Astrid
    Shotacon - Kalamari Mc Demacy
    Cousland - Florent Daunchy Rousseau
    Adius Shadow - Adius Kx Omega
    cdr248 - Nicholas Cdr248 Alekseyevich
    Stupideye - Ivan stupideye Trotsky

Let me know what your in-game name is so I can add you to the list!

2. Post #2
    February 2011
    1,958 Posts
    Gnisasas - Sir Sasasing Burrito

Add me on the list, I don't really play it but I'll give it a try, it sounds like great fun if you care about giving this some time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2010
    2,432 Posts
    Ignore the few assholes in the media thread, a lot of us like looking at your screenshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    Looks interesting and sounds like fun to play together with Facepunch. How are the system requirements though? does it scale well for older computers?

5. Post #5
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    Looks interesting and sounds like fun to play together with Facepunch. How are the system requirements though? does it scale well for older computers?
    I honestly cannot say. I've never ran the game on anything lower than a mid-range computer. The graphics do scale to really low settings and resolutions, so it's worth a try.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    956 Posts
    It works fine outside of big cities on average computers, though if you move in close to areas with many buildings etc = massive lag.

edit: Also if the real life money value scare you off, think of the game as a subscription based MMO ie, put in like 15$/month.

also you might as well add me onto the list, though I can't really remember my full name on it but it does have Xavith at least

7. Post #7
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,173 Posts
    Someone help me start out in this game, I can't even get out of the starting club.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    sweating for 10 years to get a gun universe
    but i guess its a good thing i have a gun now

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    I am not sure. I have all my settings on low and my game still freezes every now and then. And so far it's been really fucking boring. I skipped the crafting and mining courses because of it. And when i arrived they obviously offered me no hunting quest.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,180 Posts
    Sign me up - Andylon Stig Sabz.

11. Post #11
    May 2010
    592 Posts
    I'm still not quite getting this, are you saying; you can make cash in game and sell it for real cash?

Oh and I get an error during installation "Could not start the updater application" Any halp?

12. Post #12
    I can resist everything except temptation
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    I'm still not quite getting this, are you saying; you can make cash in game and sell it for real cash?

Oh and I get an error during installation "Could not start the updater application" Any halp?
    Open taskmanager and end the processes, i had the same problem.

Edited:

I am completely stuck in this game.

All my clothes are damaged to the point of where i can't wear it, i have no money, no weapons.

I even spent 4 hours finding all the archaeologists on Arkadia, what did i get in return? A fucking "thank you" from the quest giver

And, I'm stuck on Arkadia, people claimed it was a good place to start.

Any tips?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    9,682 Posts
    So I could collect sweat from animals sell that, buy hunting gear kill stuff and sell its stuff, invest in a store and get infinte munyez?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    So I could collect sweat from animals sell that, buy hunting gear kill stuff and sell its stuff, invest in a store and get infinte munyez?
    in theory yes, but it will take fucking FOREVER to collect enough sweat to get a pistol and more than 100 shots of pistol ammo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Add me to the player list, Otic Norzone Kims

Also, does it have divided US and EU servers? I looked around but couldn't find any info.

16. Post #16
    August 2009
    9,682 Posts
    I guess I'll join I don't play many mmos so might as well play one with facepunch.

17. Post #17
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Just saw my first vehicle, a sleipnir VTOL.

I complimented the owner on it.

He replied "Lol noob bum faggot" :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

18. Post #18
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,173 Posts
    I want to geto ut of this fucking club but there is nothing to hit with my bat...

19. Post #19
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    I want to geto ut of this fucking club but there is nothing to hit with my bat...
    Use the teleporter

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,672 Posts
    Fuck, I started my character but I started in Arkadia, how can I switch to Calypso?

21. Post #21
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Fuck, I started my character but I started in Arkadia, how can I switch to Calypso?
    Only way i know of is to get someone with a space ship to fly you there.

What is your ingame name? I'm on Arkadia.

Edited:

This awesome guy asked me if i needed a lift to calypso :D

Edited:

Then his ship got raped by space squids, and we continued on in a VTOL

Edited:

Fuck sweating, when i get my new credit card later this week, I'll deposit $100.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    Why are people starting out on planet Arkadia? I'm pretty sure when you sign up you can choose which planet to colonize to. I recommend going to Calypso because it's the most developed.

Add me to the player list, Otic Norzone Kims

Also, does it have divided US and EU servers? I looked around but couldn't find any info.
    Everyone is on the same server

I hate to say this - but you're going to need a pilot to get you to Calypso. The other solution is to make a new account and be careful not to select another planet besides Calypso.

23. Post #23
    January 2010
    6,003 Posts
    My name is Ark Bishop Serius

Good game so far, depsoited 10$ and a guy helped me out with what to buy and train.

24. Post #24
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    The first thing i'm buying when i get my 1000 PED, is a vehicle. Preferably something flying.

What should i get?

25. Post #25
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    The first thing i'm buying when i get my 1000 PED, is a vehicle. Preferably something flying.

What should i get?

Sliepnir's are one of the basic air vehicles in the game and you can pick them up pretty cheap at the moment (about 100PED). They can got to space as well with a booster upgrade which I've heard costs an extra 100PED.

26. Post #26
    January 2010
    6,003 Posts
    I have no idea what half of these skills do. Like anatomy, Courage, Bravado, etc.

27. Post #27
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    I was just out looking for a nice place to start a hunt and saw a noob being chased by a tough monsters. I managed to save him just before it was too late... feels good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,180 Posts
    I'll say it again damn it. Andylon Stig Sabz, add me :c Iz feel like outkast in hurr.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts

Sliepnir's are one of the basic air vehicles in the game and you can pick them up pretty cheap at the moment (about 100PED). They can got to space as well with a booster upgrade which I've heard costs an extra 100PED.
    Not sure i want to go to space, pirates and stuff.

And the guy that gave me a lift to calypso lost his interceptor to space squids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    I'll say it again damn it. Andylon Stig Sabz, add me :c Iz feel like outkast in hurr.
    Added

We should all meet up at Port Atlantis sometime and go for a hunt at the swamps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    January 2010
    6,003 Posts
    Wheres the best place to sell items after a hunt? Auction house, trade terminal?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,180 Posts
    Yay.

Also, I can't stop laughing at the thought of "lost his interceptor to space squids."

Well done Space Squids... Well done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts

SPACE SQUIDS, MAN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    January 2010
    6,003 Posts

SPACE SQUIDS, MAN
    Scary.

35. Post #35
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Added

We should all meet up at Port Atlantis sometime and go for a hunt at the swamps.
    I would.

When i get enough money to stop running around in my underwear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    January 2010
    6,003 Posts
    I would.

When i get enough money to stop running around in my underwear.
    Good luck unless you deposit :/

37. Post #37
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Good luck unless you deposit :/
    Fuck sweating, when i get my new credit card later this week, I'll deposit $100.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,180 Posts
    Holy fucking shit, they're huge.

Morelike Space Slugs, amirite?

Edit - AND NOTICE IT'S A YOUNG ONE! Fuck space.

39. Post #39
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    Wheres the best place to sell items after a hunt? Auction house, trade terminal?
    When you have finished a hunt, right click each individual item and check their base value. This can be found under the "I" icon.

Once you see that, go to the market value button which is a small button with a graph on it, and check what todays mark up is on the item. anything over 100% means you can sell it for that much more at the auction. For example, if a looted item is worth 1PED and the markup is 130%, you can sell that item quickly at a trade terminal for its base value for 1PED. But if you save up more of those items over the course of a few hunts, you can sell it in bulk at the auction for 130% of its base value

I hope I explained that well enough.

40. Post #40
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Holy fucking shit, they're huge.

Morelike Space Slugs, amirite?

Edit - AND NOTICE IT'S A YOUNG ONE! Fuck space.
    No, space squidz.

They have tentacles and shit.

Edited:

Oh, and i saw a mothership.

I was like "woah"