1. Post #1
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    978 Posts
    Hi, I having a problem when trying to upgrade packages and wondering if anyone could help me.

Use of uninitialized value $text in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Text/WrapI18N.pm line 101, <GEN1> line 5.
    substr outside of string at /usr/share/perl5/Text/WrapI18N.pm line 130, <GEN1> line 5.

There is nothing about it on Google, except from a pastebin from someone else.

2. Post #2
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    978 Posts
    Never mind, I'm just going to reinstall.

3. Post #3

August 2011
    1 Posts
    Hi COBRAa,

I just got the same error and fixed it by editing /usr/share/perl5/Text/WrapI18N.pm.
    In fact, it's a kind of dirty fix, but after editing some code, the system upgrades worked for me (using Debian Lenny).

On line 130 of /usr/share/perl5/Text/WrapI18N.pm you can find

Code:
            $r = substr($string, $l);
    By replacing this line with the following code, the dist-upgrade works.

Code:
            if (length($text) < $l) {
                $r = '';
            } else {
                $r = substr($string, $l);
            }
    Unfortunately I could not reproduce the base error which causes the error in /usr/share/perl5/Text/WrapI18N.pm, but well, it works...

EDIT:
    After finishing the dist-upgrade, the modified perl file will be reverted (or updated) and the modification is gone.
    Future upgrades will be finished properly, so the 'base error' seems to be resolved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    978 Posts
    Hi, thanks for posting the solution even though I re-installed; anyone else who has this problem can fix it it now (without the need to re-install) :)

What I think caused it is I was trying to get GCC-4.6 for the 0x standard, but it wasn't in any of my current repos, so I added the Debian Sid repo. I was in need of a reinstall anyway, was getting clogged.

Thanks.