1. Post #1
    August 2010
    530 Posts
    I bought a ASUS K53S laptop the other day loaded up with Windows 7. The specs are

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.3Ghz
    6GB DDR3 Ram
    NVIDIA GT540M 1G DDR3
    640GB Hard Drive

I never realized how many programs it would come with, but there were roughly a dozen ASUS programs on my computer when I booted it up for the first time. I'm wondering if any of them are worth keeping, or if you know of any free programs to replace them. The reason I'm thinking about deleting them is because I think some of them may be running in the background or just generally clogging up space (maybe I'm overreacting but that's why I'm posting this thread). The programs are

ASUS Vibe Fun Center
    eManual
    AI Recovery Burner
    LifeFrame
    Splendid Utility
    ASUS Sonic Focus
    e-Driver
    syncables desktop SE
    Nuance PDF Reader
    Wireless Console 3
    WinFlash
    FastBoot
    FancyStart

Now, as for programs to download as staples, I'm wondering what you'd recommend. I haven't bought a new computer in over 5 years and I'm sure my current PC is outdated, so I'll just post a list of what I've downloading so far.

Spybot, Firefox, I-Tunes, uTorrent, Malwarebytes, VLC Player, Steam (with games), and..that's actually it. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few.

I guess I should also ask if there are any programs that generally come with Windows 7 that are worth deleting. I have never used Windows 7 before so I don't know much about it. Things like Windows Live I think I'll keep, although I logged into my MSN account and everything looked entirely different, I couldn't even find out how to talk with my friends because the main page was bloated with news articles.

The other question I have is I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to prepare my laptop for games. I currently have CSS and TF2 downloading from Steam so I imagine I can run them without too much hassle, even if I have to play on low settings. But as this is a laptop, it's probably going to run into some problems if I try and put the settings up to high or very high - is there anything I can do to optimize my computer or generally just tips to run games smoother?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    I looked up each piece of software one by one when I bought my ASUS laptop to see what each one did, in the end I just reformatted the the thing and installed the stuff I needed. Most the software that comes with the laptop is "fancy" crap you probably won't even need. I've heard a few good things about the FastBoot application though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2010
    86 Posts
    Format it and put linux on it!

In all seriousness though:
    Now of those things seem all that useful. If you want an antivirus try Avast, it seems to work for me.
    For gaming theres programs like Gamebooster but I'm unsure if their any good, you can also set stuff like avast to "silent/gaming" mode. To clean your computer get ccleaner, its really helpful.

Dropbox is nice for backing up and storing files. Then for videos I'd go with VLC but I have heard good things about Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,414 Posts
    http://ninite.com/

You're going to need an antivirus program, so get Comodo.

Edited:

Dropbox is nice for backing up and storing files. Then for videos I'd go with VLC but I have heard good things about Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.
    I've had better experiences with CCCP+Media Player Classic HC.

Also, if you use Dropbox, which you really should, get ZScreen for taking screenshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,429 Posts

6. Post #6
    August 2010
    530 Posts
    Thanks guys, especially that last link. This laptop is great, I can finally play TF2 and even..ARMA 2! I bought them ages ago but my old computer couldn't handle them.

7. Post #7
    intercontinental mexican sausage filler
    October 2009
    2,594 Posts
    ASUS Vibe Fun Center

sounds like some sex toy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)