1. Post #1
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts

Added some doors and buttons
    well, here's the final in-game result

serves its goal pretty well, gives better shape perception

time to commit to SVN and relax
    I thought this thread was going pretty well, lot's of content so far and it's only page 7. Talking about how you think one post shouldn't be here isn't going to do anything but cause then next few posts to be content-less/ not about programming.

I don't like posting without content so here's a gif of something I added quickly today:

I didn't like how the only difference between the Sniper rifle and the Crossbow in my game was that the rifle could shoot faster, so I gave the Crossbow explosive rounds.
    Look

I FEEL YOU HAVEN'T SEEN MY FANCY BUILDING ANIMATION ENOUGH
    Hmm, that's a pretty big sacrifice just to use the build-in Json parser instead of an external library... I'll go with the library for now.

Edited:

Anyway, here's some more sexy normal mapping goodness:

This is actually NOT a 3D model, but a 2D representation of one! It's created using these 3 images:

(they are upside-down because for some reason my shader flips the textures vertically)

It's like I'm making a 3D modeling program.
    I could stare at this for hours.
    Hey guys, I just finished the video for the Albino engine and Cantankerous (hover tanks game). Some of you might remember the project from some time ago, finally got around to making a video for it.

This is the project for lazy people:

Video:

Soo... I was bored again, so I wrote a soft body spring simulator thing.

It's really fun to play with :buddy: (also, as you can see, it's not really optimized, but it IS threaded so the "game" remains responsive )
    The ball on the wave form shows the progress of the song :D

then robmaister12 turned and said "let there be light,"

and there was light!
    My current project:

Sure is a bitch trying to get efficient tile rendering and collision handling. But I'm getting there... slowley :byodood:

Trying my hand at 3D for once.

It's funny what one little mistype in a function can do to stuff...
    Oh god, why did this shit take me 2 hours:

Anyway, I tried doing it myself first, which ended up in a colossal disaster, then I tried using JScript, which ended up even worse.
    So I found thing thing called NCalc and used it.
    Except that it also acted retarded so I had to pretty much copy and paste stuff from that project's manual.
    There's also an unhandled exception, and I don't know how to fix it.
    Anyway, here are the files:
    EzhikCalc 2.0: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7284637/EzhikCalc.zip
    Source Code so that you can laugh even more: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7284637/Calculator%20II.rar

Anyway, I probably should drop calculators now, they only bring pain.

Edited:

7 am. What did I do all night? Code a calculator.
    Hello ! Here's my last school project for this year, the graphics are terrible but I want to show it anyway :
    So I read the word "quad tree" somewhere on this page and that inspired me to make this:

As you can see, it gets really laggy near the end

Bigger, not-animated version:
    And for my next trick...

No one told me not to, so I put Webkit rendering inside double tiles. You can then load up cool html5 and javascript controled stuff into a tile and do whatever you want to. Forever.

Edit:

Except it can't be white. I mean, it can be but if it's white it won't showup because white = transparent for some reason. So I guess it's racist or something.
    what up payload progress bar thingy, even works for multiple CPs!

http://jimbomcb.net/spec/11-payload/

Having a dedicated artist is incredible.
    So we have finally started to make progress in the terrain generation department. Now we are able to dynamically make terrain as you walk, lag free, in a huge world.

The terrain now features huge oceans, large islands and land areas. You will not only find mountainous areas, but also flat, lagoon-like areas.

We are also starting to look at forests and tree generation (as you can see below).

Here are some pictures!

There are still some kinks and bugs we're working out. For instance, if you look closely at the terrain, you can sometimes see grid-like artifacts.
    A couple of screenshots of some stuff I'm pretty excited about:

I'll probably add more variations to artwork down the road.
    Small update:

Why do I love 2D GUIs in 3D so much?
    Made better buildings, they align with the road and don't intersect with it (most of the times)

Outdoor scenes are getting better and better looking.. My artist's good and I actually do some of it too.

Now it's possible to use skins with any size. I can create a skin and a joint map for it and it will work without any code changes.

I made a pacman man skin to test it.

Does it allow precision for top down zombie shooters?
    No. My engine automatically detects all overused game concepts and automatically creates bugs.
    i think you guys are right, if it's implemented then it's probably worth demonstrating

that's a mockup of one of the introductory levels of my unnamed game set to be released by the end of this summer

i gotta say, level design is very hard (for me, at least) - it makes a lot of sense that the Big Guys have specialized level designers, modelers, etc. i mean, level design is even harder than actually making the level
    I just thought of a really cool feature for Back2Work
    Content, you say?

Most permabanned user award goes to:
    deloc

Fanciest building animation award goes to:
    Xerios3

Best programming art award goes to:
    Dlaor-guy

The Not Arguments award goes to:
    icantread49

And finally, the most viral user award goes to:
    Maurice

Version 19
    Version 18
    Version 17
    Version 16
    Version 15
    Version 14
    Version 13
    Version 12
    Version 11
    Version 10
    Version 9
    Version 8
    Version 7
    Version 6
    Version 5
    Version 4
    Version 3
    Version 2
    ~ Version 1 ~

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner x 35Friendly x 3Funny x 2Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    Yes, glorious new thread! Thanks, Overv :h:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,430 Posts
    Don't you mean <EOP>?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,548 Posts
    Missed the highlights :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    fifth!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb x 4Informative x 2Winner x 1Useful x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Obj loader:

Now I just need to write an MTL parser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Programming King Programming King x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,019 Posts
    Dat new thread, didn't expect it that fast
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    I first thought the thread title was a sword.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,333 Posts
    Ok this time I'm going to try and make some flashy content to get into the next set of highlights, I swear it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    Still looking for help with the SwapBuffers thing if anyone has any ideas.
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/109...1#post32168083
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,430 Posts
    Still looking for help with the SwapBuffers thing if anyone has any ideas.
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/109...1#post32168083
    1000/60 = ~16

Vsync is on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,611 Posts
    I broke my bootloder thing:

Also missed the highlights, Even though I shamelessly added my self to the list that I posted :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Programming King Programming King x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts

Also missed the highlights, Even though I shamelessly added my self to the list that I posted :V
    You have a keyboard nipple :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative x 5Funny x 3Friendly x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    1000/60 = ~16

Vsync is on?
    No. No vsync on besides my own and it's the same implementation I used in my old projects. Besides, someone got 12 ms and the person Linux got under 1.

Well, I've traced the SwapBuffers call in OpenTK down to this
            [SuppressUnmanagedCodeSecurity]
            [DllImport("gdi32.dll", SetLastError=true)]
            [return: MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.Bool)]
            internal static extern bool SwapBuffers(IntPtr dc);

What now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,611 Posts
    It proabbly was 70% of the reason I bought another lenovo laptop.

Edited:

The evolution of my rainbow thing:

Well Its a start:

Well we have more than one color here:

I don't know what I did here but it looks cool:

Awesome it animates!

Getting closer...

Getting really close now...

Isolated rainbow:

200% more rainbow:

Strech that bow (end result):
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 27Programming King Programming King x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    The Not Arguments award goes to:
    icantread49
    i'm kinda depressed lately but that made me chuckle :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 24Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    Fixed...
    I'll stop being stupid now.
    GameWindow.VSync = VSyncMode.Off;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Funny x 19Programming King x 3Agree x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    i'm kinda depressed lately but that made me chuckle :)
    Don't be depressed, you're doing some awesome programming stuff that I'm currently only dreaming about doing in years :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    My idea for my game: Make a game like guitar hero, but for PC and with the arrow keys. (Alot like StepMania).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts
    My idea for my game: Make a game like guitar hero, but for PC and with the arrow keys. (Alot like StepMania).
    Frets on Fire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,763 Posts
    Frets on Fire.
    He's not looking to make a silly copy of Frets on Fire, he's pitching in his idea for Not Frets on Fire.
    Why do you have to be such a downer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    And if you like Frets on Fire, you might also want to consider Vuvuzela Hero and Black Belt Sorvi Hero, all from the Assembly Summer Gamedev compo originally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

23. Post #23
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    I will make the frets EXPLODE!

Edited:

with a neat explosion effect!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    Ninja'd, and additionally of course I'm fucking kidding you.

Doesn't make these games less hilarious.

Edited:

Okay what

stop deautomerging me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,834 Posts

How about you fully utilize the computer keyboard?

100 key guitar hero.

(also with key modifiers, with left and right seperate. Therefore 600 key guitar hero.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    Layered stenciling
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 11Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    q3k
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    921 Posts
    You inspired me to try and run my kernel on real hardware. The only x86-64 box I had access to (which is not my current computer) is a remote server to which I connected over KVM.

SPOILERS:    It fails miserably by triple faulting right away. Instead, you are subjected to 3 minutes of BIOS boot up screens. Sorry!   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Poland Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    6,992 Posts
    Layered stenciling
    Remove the lower half and fill in the gaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2008
    181 Posts
    Finally done with my projectile aimbot
    (and this time the video doesn't look like ass :P)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Programming King Programming King x 24Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    July 2009
    6,992 Posts
    Does it account for lag?
    Edit:
    Source networking does, nevermind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,794 Posts
    Reading these highlights reminded me to ask how do you guys make these awesome gifs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #32
    q3k
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    921 Posts
    You're tempting me to try my hand at cheat development again... The best thing I wrote was a shitty aimbot:

In fact, it was so good it got stolen by 'SteamH4X0R1337' .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    December 2008
    181 Posts
    Does it account for lag?
    Yes!
    Edit:
    Source networking does, nevermind
    Projectiles are not lag-compensated.

@Cobra:
    So thats why you rated late :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    970 Posts
    Like mine?

'Sept it's for the crossbow in GMOD/HL2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 11Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    371 Posts
    Right guys this is an Android app I was working on a while back called Stack of Notes. It's a notes application which I hope to put on the market for free some time soon.

I know there are lots of notes apps but I think mine is better because it shows the entirety of all notes on one screen, and the notes are editable in place so you don't have to wait to go to another page.

So tell me, if you have/had an Android phone, why wouldn't you use my app?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 11Artistic Artistic x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,430 Posts
    Right guys this is an Android app I was working on a while back called Stack of Notes. It's a notes application which I hope to put on the market for free some time soon.

I know there are lots of notes apps but I think mine is better because it shows the entirety of all notes on one screen, and the notes are editable in place so you don't have to wait to go to another page.

I'd like it if there was a choice of colour schemes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    What the hell, I could've sworn I saw someone use that application today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

38. Post #38
    Der FΓΌhrer
    January 2011
    4,016 Posts
    If I had an Android phone, I'd maybe use it once in a while. I honestly prefer to physically have pieces of paper with information on them, since I can quickly read it without having to open an app and then open the note.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,430 Posts
    If I had an Android phone, I'd maybe use it once in a while. I honestly prefer to physically have pieces of paper with information on them, since I can quickly read it without having to open an app and then open the note.
    I'd also like a widget for the homescreen that let you scroll through your notes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #40
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Reading these highlights reminded me to ask how do you guys make these awesome gifs?

1. Record a video with Fraps or a similar application that exports .avi files.
    2. Make sure you have all of the proper video codecs and open VirtualDub.
    3. Open your video file.

4. Select the portion you want to record using the two buttons displayed below:

Move to the start of your GIF and click the first button, and select the ending with the second button.

5. Resize the video appropriately to reduce the filesize by going to Video -> Filters.... Click Add..., select resize and click OK. Resize the video the way you want it.

When you're done, click OK twice.

6. Click File -> Export -> Animated GIF....

7. Save the file and upload it.

8. Post it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 30Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)