1. Post #1
    April 2011
    620 Posts
    Totally not my second thread.

Ok so this is your global warming debate thread! Global Warming is either one of the biggest problems or the biggest lies in human history.

Is it a true?
    or is it a huge hoax?

Since this thread covers a scientific matter, please provide some facts to your argument.

Totally not links that you can click on to learn about both sides of the issue.

SAVE THE POLAR BEARS!!!!
    http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/exhibitgcc/
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

FUCK THAT, MAN GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX
    http://www.wnho.net/global_warming.htm
    http://www.globalwarminghoax.com/news.php?item.11.4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    15,239 Posts
    Well, I personally believe that global warming is not a hoax. I mean, what if it isn't? Then we'd kinda be fucked. We'd lose a whole lot of land mass. Gonna pull a classic here: Better safe than sorry.
    Of course, I always try to be rational and generate my views based on the evidence presented and I haven't seen any decent evidence to convince me that it is a hoax.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    16,823 Posts
    Since when did people think it was a hoax?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

4. Post #4
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    9,884 Posts
    Well, I personally believe that global warming is not a hoax. I mean, what if it isn't? Then we'd kinda be fucked. We'd lose a whole lot of land mass. Gonna pull a classic here: Better safe than sorry.
    Of course, I always try to be rational and generate my views based on the evidence presented and I haven't seen any decent evidence to convince me that it is a hoax.
    'what if'
    'better safe than sorry'

That's not exactly a good way to think, but in the end you're right.

Also Climate Change is a fact, supported by most climate scientists who are worth their words.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    952 Posts
    It's a shame this is even still a debate. The scientific consensus is that it exists and humans have a significant role in it. When the evidence is so overwhelming, it's hard to justify opposing "opinions," or whether it's possible to even have an opinion on what is regarded as scientific truth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

6. Post #6
    September 2010
    374 Posts
    Since people started listening to Fox News over 97% of climate scientists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 12Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2007
    9,884 Posts
    Totally not my second thread.

Ok so this is your global warming debate thread! Global Warming is either one of the biggest problems or the biggest lies in human history.

Is it a true?
    or is it a huge hoax?

Since this thread covers a scientific matter, please provide some facts to your argument.

Totally not links that you can click on to learn about both sides of the issue.

SAVE THE POLAR BEARS!!!!
    http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/exhibitgcc/
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

FUCK THAT, MAN GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX
    http://www.wnho.net/global_warming.htm
    http://www.globalwarminghoax.com/news.php?item.11.4
    Hey dude. I know you tried to do the 'show both sides of the argument' thing, but the first website on the HOAX side is filled with HE IS RISEN and JESUS IS THE SAVIOR and pro-life fuckery.

And the others are respectable sources like National Geographic.

8. Post #8
    April 2011
    620 Posts
    It's a shame this is even still a debate. The scientific consensus is that it exists and humans have a significant role in it. When the evidence is so overwhelming, it's hard to justify opposing "opinions," or whether it's possible to even have an opinion on what is regarded as scientific truth.
    can you give any facts?

9. Post #9
    True, but inflated. I don't think it's a huge issue personally. I say we focus on the economy for now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    952 Posts
    Although I agree and I understand what you're getting at, statements like "I personally believe" is the kind of thing you could say when debating some kind of ethical dilema or something, but for something that can be tested scientifically, I think something like "the evidence suggests" has far more merit

11. Post #11
    April 2011
    620 Posts
    Hey dude. I know you tried to do the 'show both sides of the argument' thing, but the first website on the HOAX side is filled with HE IS RISEN and JESUS IS THE SAVIOR and pro-life fuckery.

And the others are respectable sources like National Geographic.
    yeah but it's got all these links

12. Post #12
    November 2009
    4,170 Posts
    I don't know why people call it a hoax. Either Earth is getting warmer or it isn't.

13. Post #13
    February 2007
    9,884 Posts
    True, but inflated. I don't think it's a huge issue personally. I say we focus on the economy for now.
    This is a silly way to think.

A rising average sea level which will destroy the homes of countless people "Observations of sea level rise since 1993 are consistent with observed changes in ocean heat content and the cryosphere."
    Increased amount and ferocity of hurricanes"Globally, estimates of the potential destructiveness of hurricanes show a substantial upward trend since the mid-1970s, with a trend towards longer storm duration and greater storm intensity, and the activity is strongly correlated with tropical sea surface temperature."
    Basically everything here too

More than one-sixth of the world's population are supplied by meltwater from major mountain ranges. Changes in glaciers and snow cover are expected to reduce water availability for these populations.
    low-latitude areas are at most risk of having decreased crop yields

There's a lot more than that. Climate change isn't a problem that's just going to be all "Hey in a couple hundred years I'll increase the temperature a bit"

It's a problem that'll be all "Hey I'm going to fuck up your ecosystems, food production, populations in very short order"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    It's a hoax,said my old biology teacher.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

15. Post #15
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,781 Posts
    That's what stubborn people do.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    952 Posts
    can you give any facts?
    Well, there are countless papers on climate change, all dealing with very specific issues, and even then, the full texts of peer reviewed papers in scientific journals can't be viewed without a subscription (such as through a library, academic centre etc) or paying for them. This, in my opinion is a huge problem if non-scientists want to review the real evidence and make up their own mind rather than using potentially biased or charged news stories.

What I can give you is a study by the National Academy of Sciences showing that ~98% of climate scientists support the view that climate change is happening, and that the credibility of the scientist's expertise is far less in the 2% that do not agree.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20....full.pdf+html

17. Post #17
    I <3 OTTERS~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    9,935 Posts
    I feel it's true, but the proportions might be abit exaggerated.
    The sea levels rise 7 meters.. Isn't that really much considering ice is like 90% air?

18. Post #18
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    9,010 Posts
    People who say global warming is real:
    -Analysts
    -Al Gore
    -The entire scientific community

People who say global warming is fake:
    -Oil tycoons
    -Their wholly-owned media subsidiaries

Hmm, I wonder which is more trustworthy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

19. Post #19
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Global warming is a natural process, we can probably speed it up but not by much

Actually, it's summer here and temperatures are between 15 to 25C max, last year it was like +35C every summer day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2010
    2,409 Posts
    The sea levels rise 7 meters.. Isn't that really much considering ice is like 90% air?
    Pure ice is entirely water, most ice is probably part air but not to a degree of 90%

Floating ice is 10% above the water and if it melts, would cause no changes to sea levels. Its the land based ice that would fuck everyone over if it melted, which is most definitely not 90% air
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member

September 2006
    1,356 Posts
    I've always understood Global Warming to be a natural mechanism the only difference is that humans are accelerating it.

Global Warming may eventually lead to such an occurance as an ice age which would reflect heat and cool the earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    807 Posts
    Global warming is a natural process, we can probably speed it up but not by much

Actually, it's summer here and temperatures are between 15 to 25C max, last year it was like +35C every summer day
    The fact that it was cool in your region doesn't represent the whole of the Earth hence it being called "Global" Warming not Regional Warming.

23. Post #23
    December 2009
    5,277 Posts
    Isn't that really much considering ice is like 90% air?
    ... What?

Yes, there is a natural cycle of the average temperature rising and falling. It coincides greatly with a natural cycle of CO2 levels.
    CO2 levels naturally oscillate between 180 ppm and 280 ppm. Ever since about the start of the Industrial Revolution, it's been rising, with it rising faster and faster as we get to present day.
    The current level of CO2 in the atmosphere is 390 ppm. Over double the natural oscillation. Again, starting at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

There are also several few short term cycles, some are about 11 years.

The difference between two summers in one area isn't a very effective proof against climate change.
    Climate is about temperatures and such over long periods of time and covering large areas; in this case, the area is the whole world. Not between 2 years. Not just one state.

It's really a misnomer (is that the right word?) to say that we're "speeding it up" or "accelerating it". It would be more proper to say that we're completely messing it up, or at least causing it to be much worse than normal. Speeding it up implies that the cycles would go faster and faster. Not that we would get double the amplitude of natural change over ~200 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,784 Posts

Global warming doesn't necessarily mean that everything gets hotter. The global temperature will rise but this will cause changes to our weather systems. Changes in air temperature and in ocean currents will all affect the weather; both of which are affected by global warming. For example here in the UK it snowed deep for the first time in years. They said it wouldn't happen for another 80, yet it is now happening every year. I don't know if there is ever been a reason stated for this, but it is an example of something global warming can cause - more extremes.

25. Post #25
    I like the fat, greasy nerds that wear MLP shirts three sizes too small
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,417 Posts
    Since they started wearing tinfoil hats.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    952 Posts

Notice how you rarely hear "global warming" anymore, and how it's not commonly reffered to as "climate change?" That's deliberate.
    Despite the term global warming still being accurate in that average global temperatures will rise, so many people think because it snowed in their area for the first time in years global warming must be false. It's these kind of assumtions and poor logic that is really counter productive. The global weather system is highly chaotic and dynamic. A rise in global temperatures can cause localised effects of extreme cold or rainfall because of changes in airflow and other factors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2010
    2,432 Posts
    Global warming is not a threat to Humanity in my opinion.

During the Medieval period Europe had a mini Ice age and we out lasted that, even with the Plague, the low life expectancy, and all the wars.

By the time it becomes too big a problem to handle we will have Starships in space, and/or dozens of years of scientific advances.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,944 Posts
    I've been able to see the effects of global warming pretty shockingly here in Finland.
    Winter keeps getting pushed back and back, hell, last Christmas we barely had snow here.

29. Post #29
    Jin
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    300 Posts
    Evidence of the product of global warming:

Venus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    September 2010
    644 Posts
    How about it's not as big a deal as either side makes it out to be, but there are contributing factors from humanity, as well as that of external influences, such as the sun's activity and natural climate cycles.

Too reasonable?

31. Post #31
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Global warming doesn't necessarily mean that everything gets hotter. The global temperature will rise but this will cause changes to our weather systems. Changes in air temperature and in ocean currents will all affect the weather; both of which are affected by global warming. For example here in the UK it snowed deep for the first time in years. They said it wouldn't happen for another 80, yet it is now happening every year. I don't know if there is ever been a reason stated for this, but it is an example of something global warming can cause - more extremes.
    I know i just used it as a bad example

32. Post #32
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    16,634 Posts
    I personally believe global warming isn't really true (Maybe it's because i don't have enough evidence or something, but i honestly don't see it being true). I believe we should get more green alternatives though so living conditions don't get terrible in the future (i don't want pollution central.)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,650 Posts
    I think the title isn't really fitting for a discussion, since you pretty much said there that it is a hoax. I think it should be something more neutral, like "Global Warming - A problem or a myth?"

That said, I don't think it's a hoax or myth at all. I live in the mountains, with big ski resorts. After talking with some engineers, they told me how they have to build deeper and broader fundaments for the ski lifts nearly every year. We can also see how our glaciers shrink from year to year.
    So I can see the problems it's causing in real life.

34. Post #34
    February 2010
    10,567 Posts
    Gee, what an unbiased thread title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    6,731 Posts
    I personally believe global warming isn't really true (Maybe it's because i don't have enough evidence or something, but i honestly don't see it being true)
    Based on what exactly?

36. Post #36
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    13,367 Posts
    It's real, it's just a natural cycle. Humanity is nowhere near capable of causing something that massive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    16,634 Posts
    Based on what exactly?
    Well people claiming the World gets hotter faster every year due to it, that shits been happening for hundreds of years now (the World constantly gets hotter then colder then hotter every few years or so.)

just one example. as i said, i probably don't have enough evidence.

38. Post #38
    Insensitive Jackass
    June 2011
    1,945 Posts
    I always had a tinfoil hat close me when it comes to global warming, there is simply more to it then we probably know.

39. Post #39
    February 2007
    9,884 Posts
    The fuck?

Where the fuck did you get that 90% air from, holy shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,273 Posts
    It's real, it's just a natural cycle. Humanity is nowhere near capable of causing something that massive.
    I usually hate to hear / say "carbon emissions" because I hear it more in bullshit than science ("buy eletric cars save the planet" sort of shit, even ignoring that the elecricity they run on is made from mostly carbon based fuels)

But seriously, we have been dumping, a lot of fucking shit, into our atmosphere
    Plus, using oil untill it runs out, probably limiting our options even more, arent even remotely a good idea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)