1. Post #1
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php...s&article=5645
    there's multiple sources of this, but they basically stipulate teaching young children about homosexuality in California.

I'm alright with gays, I have no beef against gay marriage or anything like that, but I strongly disagree with something so subjective and opinion-based being taught to children. School is supposed to teach you factual information only, not to advocate or damn sexuality. CA has a very tight budget, and they're already axing lots of educational programs, and instead they replace them with this.

It's like preaching a religion in school; it just doesn't belong. What the hell happened to innocence?

2. Post #2
    Sorry about the downtime, now buy shit.
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    I agree. There is no place in school for teaching about sexual preference. Sexual preference is a decision much like religion for people to make.

3. Post #3
    Huge Faggot #2
    November 2007
    5,149 Posts
    I agree. There is no place in school for teaching about sexual preference. Sexual preference is a decision much like religion for people to make.
    It's not a decision.

4. Post #4
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    It should be up to the parents to teach their children or they can learn themselves (I think that's the best way, tbh).

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,069 Posts
    http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php...s&article=5645
    there's multiple sources of this, but they basically stipulate teaching young children about homosexuality in California.

I'm alright with gays, I have no beef against gay marriage or anything like that, but I strongly disagree with something so subjective and opinion-based being taught to children. School is supposed to teach you factual information only, not to advocate or damn sexuality. CA has a very tight budget, and they're already axing lots of educational programs, and instead they replace them with this.

It's like preaching a religion in school; it just doesn't belong. What the hell happened to innocence?
    Implying teaching children about different kinds of sex is wrong.
    I think it's a good idea to teach kids about homosexuality so they won't get a fucked up view on it from their priest or a Fox News reporter.

Edited:

If you made a conscious choice to be straight you're not straight.

6. Post #6
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    It's not a decision.
    sometimes it is, some people choose to be what they're not just to be accepted.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,069 Posts
    It should be up to the parents to teach their children or they can learn themselves (I think that's the best way, tbh).
    Why?

8. Post #8
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    Implying teaching children about different kinds of sex is wrong.
    I think it's a good idea to teach kids about homosexuality so they won't get a fucked up view on it from their priest or a Fox News reporter.

Edited:

If you made a conscious choice to be straight you're not straight.
    But remember, the schools can be just as biased.

9. Post #9
    September 2011
    250 Posts
    Sexual preference is about as much as a decision as the race you're born as.

10. Post #10
    April 2010
    1,983 Posts
    You don't need to teach people about homosexuality, that makes it stand out like it's something special and not just a sexual preference. They shouldn't say anything other than "it's when a human likes same-gendered humans" and leave it at that.

Edited:
    It's like racism, the best way to avoid homophobic tendencies is to not talk about it like it's a special thing.

11. Post #11
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    I just don't believe it's something that belongs in an educational system that (was) designed to prepare you for the future. When I grew up (and where), being gay wasn't normal and was never spoken of, and I've grown up to be tolerant and accepting, because I learned throughout life what to believe.

12. Post #12
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    It's not a decision.
    Yes it is. No baby is born saying, "I like other men!" or "I like other women!"

Sorry, everything you do in your life is a decision. I don't buy this "born this way" bullshit.

What happened, was homosexuality used to be taboo, not accepted anywhere. Then, gay people saw this, wanted to change it, so started to say, "Oh, we were born this way!" to make it more widely accepted.

It's like me saying I was born with an attraction to a particular hair color. It's a preference. I know a few gay people who say it is indeed a choice they made.

13. Post #13
    October 2010
    587 Posts
    no, sexuality isn't a choice.

Edited:

Sorry, everything you do in your life is a decision. I don't buy this "born this way" bullshit.
    genetics determine sexuality, not free will.

14. Post #14
    February 2010
    10,174 Posts
    Just let gay people marry and give them the same rights as straight people, and that's all. Nobody needs a whole lesson to explain that gay people are just like everybody else, just teach children that all people are equal and deserve equal rights, no matter who they like, what their race is and what their sex is.

Edited:

Sexuality is not a choice. If it was, I would be asexual rather than heterosexual.

15. Post #15
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    Remember to keep on topic, this isn't about "is gay a choice". Save that for another thread.

16. Post #16
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology...al_orientation

Read. There is no sufficient proof to suggest that it is or is not genetics.

It's a choice. Pedophiles use the same fucking excuse. "I was born this way!"

17. Post #17
    October 2010
    587 Posts
    why would anyone choose to be have less rights or be less liked by the public?

18. Post #18
    September 2011
    250 Posts

no wonder you're so retarded, you put pedophiles on the same level as homosexuals.

19. Post #19
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    Just let gay people marry and give them the same rights as straight people, and that's all. Nobody needs a whole lesson to explain that gay people are just like everybody else, just teach children that all people are equal and deserve equal rights, no matter who they like, what their race is and what their sex is.

Edited:

Sexuality is not a choice. If it was, I would be asexual rather than heterosexual.
    This. eventually children will learn of gay people on their own and choose to accept or vilify them. It's an ongoing problem with social media producing cliques and social "norms" for sensitive subjects. it's a double edged sword, it can be good, and it can be very, very bad.

20. Post #20
    October 2010
    587 Posts
    Homosexuality should be mentioned in sex ed, history and biology, it's not like it deserves it's own class

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    I always figured it was both. Like how some people are turned on by feet, some people are turned on by their own gender, I mean, that's not genetic. And then there are the ones, who because of some unusual hormone levels in their brain during early growth in the womb, are turned on by their own gender.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,069 Posts

What happened, was homosexuality used to be taboo, not accepted anywhere. Then, gay people saw this, wanted to change it, so started to say, "Oh, we were born this way!" to make it more widely accepted.

It's like me saying I was born with an attraction to a particular hair color. It's a preference. I know a few gay people who say it is indeed a choice they made.
    Why are you so against to men having consensual sex?

23. Post #23
    June 2011
    3,337 Posts
    The people saying that homosexuality is only a choice or in genetics are wrong.
    I can't remember it exactly, it's something to do with not getting a burst of a certain hormone during puberty.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,069 Posts

Did you chose to be sexually attracted to women? Could you chose to be sexually attracted to men?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    Did you chose to be sexually attracted to women? Could you chose to be sexually attracted to men?
    I think that environmental factors can have an impact on peoples sexuality, subconsciously.

26. Post #26
    Well,

Yes.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,914 Posts
    By fifth grade, all the kids call everything they dislike "gay" anyway. It's not like they haven't heard it.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,069 Posts
    Well,

Yes.
    Congratulations, you're bisexual.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,914 Posts
    It's not so bad to say "sometimes boys like boys and sometimes girls like girls", is it?

30. Post #30
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    Homosexuality should be mentioned in sex ed, history and biology, it's not like it deserves it's own class
    I forgot to mention that, biology I'm not sure of, but history definitely. The greeks and romans would dip their dongs in everyone and everything. Sex ed is a sensitive class, I'm not sure if it belongs. But, it would help those who are gay (in the class) feel less vilified, as long as they still remain anonymous.

Edited:

It's not so bad to say "sometimes boys like boys and sometimes girls like girls", is it?
    not at all, but having a whole class devoted to it is just silly.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,080 Posts

Yes they do, you closed minded twit. A baby can't talk and doesn't think about that, but as a child grows up they begin to develop and eventually the feeling of "other boys like girls but I'm different," emerges, and is often confusing and alienating, and as the child is educated in what those feelings mean, that's where the transformation into acceptance comes in.

Notice it's only straight people who are making the choice claim. Where the fuck do you get off making the claim you know what is going on in the heads of an entire group better than they know themselves?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    I'd like to first state that Teaching homosexuality in school is somewhat a fallacy. As schools do not teach children to be homosexual or to be more capable in homosexual acts. Schools instead tend to teach about homosexuality which implies a very important thing.

Now to the point itself. Homosexuals compromise roughly 5% of the population as far as I remember. This percentage is even wider if you add in people who have bisexual tendencies but aren't fully homosexual. In that sense teaching about the existance of homosexuality and the fact that some people do have a sexual preference for their own gender is completely legit. In the same vein as teaching about the existance of other races.

Likewise the presence of mentions of homosexuality among the population could easily help people who are afraid of coming out making their own decisions and make society somewhat more prepared for their existance.

So the fact that you like blondes more than brunnetes is a decision? Or that you're a boobs man instead of an ass man is a decision? Or perhaps finding out that you have a fairly massive influx of blood into your penis at the sight of a man instead of a nude girl which you so hope to be sexualy attracted to?

Sorry while in some borderline cases there are people that can go either way, in a lot of cases people either due to their subjective experiences or biology end up with a preffered sexuality.

The truth is pedophiles were born that way. The differences between pedophilia and homosexuality is though that it harms no one as normal homosexuality happens between to consenting adults. Pedophila not. As a result pedophilia is illegal and pedophiles that cannot control their own urges persecuted.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,069 Posts
    Sex ed is a sensitive class, I'm not sure if it belongs. But, it would help those who are gay (in the class) feel less vilified, as long as they still remain anonymous.
    Not really. Sex ed used to be kinda awkward and funny, but everyone has sex, it's pretty damn common.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    From what I read, it doesn't seem like they're being taught that it's better to be gay or anything like that.. This seems to be like learning about Martin Luther King.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,080 Posts
    From what I read, it doesn't seem like they're being taught that it's better to be gay or anything like that.. This seems to be like learning about Martin Luther King.
    Nailed it. This isn't teaching which is better, it's acknowledging that the group exists.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,633 Posts
    I learned to start liking girls through the internet.

Still like boys more though.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    Yes they do, you closed minded twit. A baby can't talk and doesn't think about that, but as a child grows up they begin to develop and eventually the feeling of "other boys like girls but I'm different," emerges, and is often confusing and alienating, and as the child is educated in what those feelings mean, that's where the transformation into acceptance comes in.

Notice it's only straight people who are making the choice claim. Where the fuck do you get off making the claim you know what is going on in the heads of an entire group better than they know themselves?
    I have a lesbian and a bisexual friend that claim it was a choice they made.

Also, the case with the Romans and Greeks is to me even more evidence that the cause behind homosexuality isn't solely genetic. Environmental factors such as social acceptance, lot's of things can play into a persons sexuality. There were ancient Roman men who decided that they only wanted to have sex with men because it was more manly.

38. Post #38
    Why does that not apply to math? Factoring polynomials is hard! Leave it up to the parents to decide if their children need to know that!

The fact that homosexuality is not some terrifying revelation and there's no reason kids shouldn't have to learn about it in school.

You don't need to teach people about homosexuality, that makes it stand out like it's something special and not just a sexual preference. They shouldn't say anything other than "it's when a human likes same-gendered humans" and leave it at that.

Edited:
    It's like racism, the best way to avoid homophobic tendencies is to not talk about it like it's a special thing.
    Now we're writing black history out of curricula as well?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,069 Posts
    I have a lesbian and a bisexual friend that claim it was a choice they made.

Also, the case with the Romans and Greeks is to me even more evidence that the cause behind homosexuality isn't solely genetic. Environmental factors such as social acceptance, lot's of things can play into a persons sexuality. There were ancient Roman men who decided that they only wanted to have sex with men because it was more manly.
    Having sex with people of your own gender=/= being attracted to people of your own gender.

I have a very hard time understanding how anyone can just change their sexual preference. I can't just decide I enjoy looking at cocks. Doesn't do anything for me.

40. Post #40
    April 2010
    1,983 Posts
    Now we're writing black history out of curricula as well?
    Where did you get "black history"? Racism is not all about blacks.
    Sure, they can teach black history, but as history.

They can teach how they were repressed in the past, but they don't need to say "black people are different, but you shouldn't hate them for it because that's racism and racism is bad", just like they don't need to explain homosexuality like it's a special trait that you need to take special measures to avoid hating.

By mentioning how black people / homosexual people are different they don't help make it seem like a normal thing that is acceptable in the modern society.