1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    11,568 Posts
    Time Travel,

Oh boy does this topic cause debates, it's hard to know if us humans will ever be able to actually travel in time. For me, after watching BTTF, I was puzzled with questions about time travel.

Before we head into a debate, lets read the wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

I believe Time Travel is a possibility, but there can be a chance that we will never find out. Or for my life span that is, maybe in the future, but right now its a topic that's still being discovered and debated.

2. Post #2
    December 2010
    6,403 Posts
    I honestly don't think it's possible. I mean if there weren't any boundaries then something would have gone back in time and fucked the whole universe. I am a dumbass though so I have no knowledge or scientific evidence to back anything up, this shit is way over my head.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,066 Posts
    Time travel, probably not. Multiverse travel, maybe.

4. Post #4
    April 2011
    63 Posts
    Both, it's possible until we know otherwise and fiction until somebody does it.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    831 Posts
    I'm one of those guys who thinks time is a creation of man.
    I.E. Not "real", so impossible to change.

6. Post #6
    Not disallowed based on our current understanding of general relativity.

7. Post #7
    April 2011
    2,309 Posts
    i think that multiuniverse teory is possible, that way you could change thinks, but it would affect other realities, not the same.

8. Post #8
    October 2010
    3,292 Posts
    Replace the word time travel with television back in the 1900's and you'd get the same replies.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,262 Posts
    I'm one of those guys who thinks time is a creation of man.
    I.E. Not "real", so impossible to change.
    elaborate

10. Post #10
    November 2009
    210 Posts
    Forward time travel is possible, through a certain point of view, by using such techniques like freezing yourself and being unfrozen in say, a couple hundred years.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    831 Posts
    elaborate
    I do not think that time is anything more than what us humans use to measure how long things have existed. I don't think there's some clock of the universe we can rewind.

We needed a way to communicate in language cycles and how long things have been. We made time, right then. Humans starting recording things (or reading unintentional clues left to suggest something used to be different) and suddenly the universe wasn't just a constantly moving cog without any markings. We slapped dates on it and called it time.

I'm not sure on how to elaborate much more. I was trying to think of something to compare it to, something that can be measured yet not altered or not even there at all.

I don't think there's anything else that quite fits that like time does.

I'd love to be proven wrong, without doubt.

12. Post #12
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    Possible.

13. Post #13
    January 2011
    4,454 Posts
    Forward time travel is possible, through a certain point of view, by using such techniques like freezing yourself and being unfrozen in say, a couple hundred years.
    I thought that was Fiction

14. Post #14
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    Time is a dimension as any other.

15. Post #15
    February 2010
    1,903 Posts
    I heard on a documentary once, that time travel to the future could be possible.

Using a a train that could at least go nearly the speed of light going around the world in two weeks could possibly throw them into 100 years in the future. But that's just a theory, I believe it could be possible, but could only go forward.

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    5,139 Posts
    I think we CAN do it, but just because you can does not mean you should. Someone will get a hold of it, and fuck up everything.

17. Post #17
    Ian
    I'll show you a gold member.
    June 2010
    6,526 Posts
    You can't go back, but going forward is possible with an infinite supply of time and work.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,262 Posts
    I do not think that time is anything more than what us humans use to measure how long things have existed. I don't think there's some clock of the universe we can rewind.

We needed a way to communicate in language cycles and how long things have been. We made time, right then. Humans starting recording things (or reading unintentional clues left to suggest something used to be different) and suddenly the universe wasn't just a constantly moving cog without any markings. We slapped dates on it and called it time.

I'm not sure on how to elaborate much more. I was trying to think of something to compare it to, something that can be measured yet not altered or not even there at all.

I don't think there's anything else that quite fits that like time does.

I'd love to be proven wrong, without doubt.
    So you're suggesting that we invented increments of time. Ok, but how does that suggest that there is no such thing as time? This is similar to suggesting that distance doesn't exist and that we made it by creating a system of measurement for it.

Time is clearly real. We can measure the differences in time between satellites and systems on the ground. Time is faster for the satellites.

It's like you're suggesting that time wouldn't work the same way if we hadn't started measuring it which is absolutely nonsense and based on nothing.

Edited:

You can't go back, but going forward is possible with an infinite supply of time and work.
    Prove it.

19. Post #19
    Using a a train that could at least go nearly the speed of light going around the world in two weeks could possibly throw them into 100 years in the future. But that's just a theory, I believe it could be possible, but could only go forward.
    It's a theory that is considered to be scientific fact.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,690 Posts
    I remember reading some theory about how if you ever traveled in time, whether it was forward or backward, that you'd end up in another universe. And if you had gone forward then tried to go back to before you went forward, it would be a different universe then the one you were in before you time traveled; it would appear to be the same yet it wouldn't be. But again this was all theoretical, no idea if it makes any sense or is even possible.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,262 Posts
    I remember reading some theory about how if you ever traveled in time, whether it was forward or backward, that you'd end up in another universe. And if you had gone forward then tried to go back to before you went forward, it would be a different universe then the one you were in before you time traveled; it would appear to be the same yet it wouldn't be. But again this was all theoretical, no idea if it makes any sense or is even possible.
    nonsense hypothesis that isn't based on anything

i time travel forward every day

22. Post #22
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,798 Posts
    Probably not possible, but a man can dream.

*sigh* I've always wanted to travel through time.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,129 Posts
    if time travel was possible, then wouldn't it have already happened

and how would we know if it happened if it just became part of history

what if our gods of today were just time traveling humans we will never know until we reach that point

24. Post #24
    nonsense hypothesis that isn't based on anything

i time travel forward every day
    It sounds like he's referring to some muddled form of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, meaning the universe splits to accommodate all possible outcomes of any quantum event, so it would happen even while you're traveling forward in time.

Probably not possible, but a man can dream.

*sigh* I've always wanted to travel through time.
    But it is possible as far as modern physics is aware.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,690 Posts
    It sounds like he's referring to some muddled form of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, meaning the universe splits to accommodate all possible outcomes of any quantum event, so it would happen even while you're traveling forward in time.
    Yeah, pretty much that. Do you think it may be possible or is it some far fetched idea?

26. Post #26
    Possible, but I don't believe it. It's not provable as far as we know and it's essentially not based on anything but random conjecture.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

October 2007
    2,316 Posts
    As interesting and amazing time travel sounds, there are too many things that could go wrong with it that could potentially fuck a lot of things up. So I'm staying on the safe side and hoping that it doesn't happen in my life time.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,428 Posts
    Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

Meh. I think if it is at all possible it's nothing like what we want to see.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,330 Posts
    In my honest opinion, everything is possible until it is proven impossible. Time travel has not been proven to be impossible, so therefore, it must be possible. We just haven't figured out how yet.

30. Post #30
    In my honest opinion, everything is possible until it is proven impossible.
    It is possible to prove absolutely that this is not true until you prove that it is not possible.

31. Post #31
    October 2009
    9,288 Posts
    This is what I was going to say.
    As far as we understand how things work, going back in time is just flat out impossible.
    Forward in time, however, has been done. A very small extent, but has been done.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    In my honest opinion, everything is possible until it is proven impossible. Time travel has not been proven to be impossible, so therefore, it must be possible. We just haven't figured out how yet.
    That's backwards thinking. Do you also believe in ghosts and unicorns and other things that haven't been disproved?

33. Post #33
    As far as we understand how things work, going back in time is just flat out impossible.
    No, no, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_timelike_curve

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    810 Posts
    my favourite movie is back to the future, so that's my opinion on this.

I want a time travelling delorean.

35. Post #35
    June 2007
    2,755 Posts
    If time travel is possible, where are all the time travellers?

36. Post #36
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,158 Posts
    If time travel is possible, where are all the time travellers?
    exactly.

if you would travel back in time to say, go see your past self, you should've already seen your future self.

37. Post #37

May 2007
    60 Posts
    Time travel, into the future is possible (and has happened).

if you had an identical twin, who was the exact same age as you, and you went into orbit around the earth for a couple of years, due to the speed you travel at in orbit, he would be older than you when you got back.

I can't really explain it better than that :/ other than this has happened to an astronaut, who was in orbit for a long time, and because of that, "travelled" a few seconds into the future.

38. Post #38
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    Replace the word time travel with television back in the 1900's and you'd get the same replies.
    But it's not 1900 anymore and it's not television it's time travel

39. Post #39
    August 2011
    655 Posts
    On one hand, ever-advancing technology would suggest that we will come close to discovering it.

However, the fact that no-one has yet "come back" from the future using a time machine they have invented suggests that it will not happen.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,933 Posts
    It might be possible, but I belive it's so risky that "every time" someone invents it, he goes back in time to stop it.