1. Post #1
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    It is highly likely that this proejct is to soon be rebooted at request of the lead animator, mrkit. If you are interested, please read the latest post in the topic here.

Improved Taunts Mod Version 1.6 Release

*NOTE* THIS DOWNLOAD NO LONGER FUNCTIONS IN GAME. THIS MODIFICATION IS TOO HIGH MAINTAINENCE TO KEEP UPDATED WITH THE FREQUENT UPDATES OF TEAM FORTRESS. THE FILE WILL REMAIN AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES IN SOURCE SDK. DO NOT INSTALL IT FOR SAKE OF IN-GAME USE, IT WILL TURN YOUR PLAYER MODELS INVISIBLE. IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED IT, DELETE ALL PROVIDED FILES IN THE .ZIP.
    Download: Version 1.6 Release
    (Works as of Smissmas Update of December 23rd)

Video:
    Skullcutter (New as of 1.6)

About this Project: This project was originally a project started only by me in an attempt to improve existing taunts for weapons. Originally, it only involved using additional voice lines and assigning existing taunts to weapons that did not have them. However, one day I saw an animator (arrow1234/mrkit) who was working on an animation project but wasn't too sure how to get them in-game as unique animations. My playing around with taunts and his animation capabilities spawned the project you see today. The aim of this project is to create diverse weapon taunts for the weapons that exist now.

The main animator finally decided to put his work up on the workshop!

Mad Milk
    Liberty Launcher
    Disciplinary Action
    Flare Gun/Detonator [Author was not contacted regarding submission]
    Pain Train
    Scotsman's Skullcutter [Not Featured] [Author has declined submission]
    GRU
    Wrangler [Author was not contacted regarding submission]
    Machina
    Jarate
    Amputator
    YER/Kunai

Q&A:

How does it work?
    This project varies from your traditional method which overwrites existing animations in the character_animation mdl files. This creates completely new character_animation.mdl files which use "$includemodel character_animation.mdl". The player models are then hexed to default to the new, custom file. This way, the new animations are available as well as the old ones. After this, each new animation is made with an accompanying Vcd in Faceposer which covers all the facial expressions, character lines, etc. After that, the two tf.txt and response_rules.txt are modified so that these weapons are given unique animations that aren't shared with any others.

Does this work on a server?
    If you are a server owner and install this modification, any client with this modification will also be able to see it. If a client has this and a server does not, it will NOT work. If installed on a server, the client will not automatically download it. I do not know how to change this; perhaps somebody can inform me?

Are you accepting new animations?
    Yes, I am actively looking for new potential animators on this project. As it is, I only have one active contributor (as I can't animate myself), so this really limits things. However, I am responsible for the backbone of getting it in-game, so if you can get me the animation, I'll do all the dirty engine work.

Will you be submitting this to the Steam Workshop?
    After talking it over with my main
    contributor and project partner, we decided that we likely will not submit this project as a whole, but in parts. Due to several authors being involved, we find that it would be easier to simply submit the project on an animation-by-animation basis as to not step on any toes or go against anybody's wishes. If I'm not mistaken, at least one of the animations have been submitted to the workshop independently already. If it were submitted as a group project, that means all the proceeds (if any) would be split by how our percentages were made--and that may end up getting an author less than an independent or partnered submission.

If I want to contribute make a workshop submission, will you help me?

Valve has not yet stated any specifications of what they expect to see as far as animation submissions go for the workshop (though I have e-mailed Robin and expect a reply soon), so I'll wait to see there. If they just want a raw animation SMD, then I'm not needed. If they expect a Qc, a compiled mdl, and anything beyond and you aren't sure how to do it, I'd be willing to lend a hand.

Version 1.5 changelog

Scout
    Mad Milk now has custom animation

Soldier
    Black Box and Liberty Launcher now have unique line not shared with Rocket Launcher or Rocket Jumper
    Battalion's Backup now uses Buff Banner animation
    Battalion's Backup now has a unique line not shared with Buff Banner or Concheror
    The Disciplinary Action has a unique animation
    The Concheror now has unique line not shared with Battalion's Backup or Buff Banner
    The Righteous Bison now shares the Cow Mangler 5000 Taunt

Pyro
    Flare Gun and Detonator now use a Shoryuken taunt animation

Demo
    Scotsman's Skullcutter now uses Eyelander taunt animation
    Pain Train now has a custom animation

Heavy
    New primary weapon line for all miniguns
    Gloves of Running Urgently now have a new taunt animation

Engineer
    Wrangler now has a unique animation

Medic
    Syringe Gun and Blutsauger now have a new line not shared with Crusader's Crossbow
    Amputator now uses a custom animation

Sniper
    SMG now has three new unique lines
    Sydney Sleeper now has three unique lines not shared with Sniper Rifletaunt animation
    Machina Now has own animation

Spy
    Revolver, The Enforcer and L'etranger have two new lines not shared with Ambassador
    Ambassador has one new line not shared with Revolver or L'etranger
    Your Eternal Reward and Conniver's Kunai now use a custom knife animation

Known Bugs/Issues

Custom animations will not taunt kill [if their animation looks like they should]
    *This cannot be fixed, Valve must fix this themselves

readme
    TF2 Weapon Taunts Modification by Gamemaster1379 with assistance from Daimao and Mr. Kit

The goal of this mod is to add animations to all weapons in Team Fortress 2 as well as add unique animations

To install, extract the scenes and scripts folder into the .../Steam/steamapps/<Username>/Team Fortress 2/tf directory.

For any questions, you are welcome to contact me via Steam Powered User Forums or Steam IM (Gamemaster1379)
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gamemaster1379/

Special thanks to [in no specific order]:
    i-ghost for helping me get this mod started and allowing use of the Ullapool taunt change.
    Kenny1264 for testing
    Kenogu Labz for testing
    NDUDE for testing
    Critical Hit! for testing
    Kieoru for testing
    Syntax_Error for allowing server testing on Ichimonai - The Lounge
    Powerlord for SourceMod assistance
    Nucklez for testing
    XeroZohar for testing
    Ichimonai community for testing
    Daimao for all his help on troubleshooting

Credits:

*Your Eternal Reward/Big Earner, Amputator, Gloves of Running Urgently, Jarate, Disciplinary Action. Liberty Launcher, and Pain Train (Demoman), Machina, and Mad Milk animations by Mr. Kit (http://steamcommunity.com/id/zombie432345)
    *Flare Gun/Detonator Shoryuken taunt by superaldo (https://steamcommunity.com/id/superaldo)
    *Wrangler Animation by Max of S2D

Modified sounds are extracted from Team Fortress 2 Content.gcf and modified by Gamemaster1379
    Hiccup sound provided by Mr. Kit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 54Disagree x 9Dumb x 5Optimistic x 4Artistic x 2Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    23,979 Posts
    Awesome

Edited:

The GRU one is hilarious and the best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    25,639 Posts
    mad milk one seems stiff/rushed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38 (list)

4. Post #4
    Ern
    this title sucks
    July 2011
    6,313 Posts
    The Sniper's Jarate taunt is fucking BRILLIANT, I expected him to drink the Jarate with a "Mmmm, Delicious" Expression on his face.
    Thanks for not being Ultra Generic with these, GameMaster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    mad milk one seems stiff/rushed
    The author told me that part-way through, he wanted to do something else. He finished up the one he had though for sake of filler.

Edited:

The Sniper's Jarate taunt is fucking BRILLIANT, I expected him to drink the Jarate with a "Mmmm, Delicious" Expression on his face.
    Thanks for not being Ultra Generic with these, GameMaster.
    You should thank my animator for that, not me. He is the one who animated.

...Regardless, I wasn't going to add a drinking Jarate taunt to this project. That's bland, disgusting, over-considered, and bland.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    25,639 Posts
    The author told me that part-way through, he wanted to do something else. He finished up the one he had though for sake of filler.

Edited:

You should thank my animator for that, not me. He is the one who animated.

...Regardless, I wasn't going to add a drinking Jarate taunt to this project. That's bland, disgusting, over-considered, and bland.

Scout drinking milk would be cool. He gets a little milk mustache and wipes it off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,732 Posts
    While most of them are very, very impresive, they dont have the tf2 feeling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 55Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,970 Posts
    The Kunai and the Jarate taunts are really good, but to be honest the rest of them are really stiff feeling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

9. Post #9
    Grass Poison
    March 2010
    17,982 Posts
    i fucking love the YER/kunai and jarate taunts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

10. Post #10
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,433 Posts
    Christian brutal sniper reference?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Late Late x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    At least I don't have alzheimer's.
    January 2011
    2,350 Posts
    I'm really liking the machina one, but some of them seem really odd.
    For example: the GRU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    Christian brutal sniper reference?
    I suppose so. Like I said, I can't animate worth a damn, so I didn't animate it.

I'm really liking the machina one, but some of them seem really odd.
    For example: the GRU
    The GRU one is definitely an odd one, but that's the charm of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    10,124 Posts
    I personally dislike a good number of them. In fact, the only ones I think are good for TF2 are the Flare Gun/Detonator's, the Pain Train's, the Machina's, and the Wrangler's.

The rest just don't fit TF2 at all, and as you've heard before, are way too much like something out of an anime.

All my opinion, of course. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad. Just for TF2 they are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    16,344 Posts
    Scout + Mad milk = Masturbation Joke. Do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    I personally dislike a good number of them. In fact, the only ones I think are good for TF2 are the Flare Gun/Detonator's, the Pain Train's, the Machina's, and the Wrangler's.

The rest just don't fit TF2 at all, and as you've heard before, are way too much like something out of an anime.

All my opinion, of course. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad. Just for TF2 they are.
    That's understandable. It makes sense that a majority of them are actually under anime-esque culturing. The main animator behind most of the animations is somewhere over the general region of Japan. Not sure where exactly. This is why I'd love to have more than one animator contribute to the project. With multiple cultures, viewpoints, and animations to choose from, this project will develop to be better overall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,433 Posts

Everyone loves a good reference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    Ern
    this title sucks
    July 2011
    6,313 Posts
    Scout + Mad milk = Masturbation Joke. Do it.
    Although all of the semen jokes about Mad Milk fill my lungs with RAGE, I did have a good Idea for that.
    The Scout points at the screen with his index finger in the same hand he's holding his Mad-Milk with, looking at the potential kill-cam, but his body facing to the left. He puts his left (Free) hand with an open-grasp and hovers it over his crotch, air-masturbating.
    And whoever is reading this that can animate, please don't do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,130 Posts
    Am I the only who wants Sniper to drink it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,494 Posts
    It's actually apple juice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    No you aren't, but it isn't happening. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    May 2011
    571 Posts
    Maybe I'm not getting this, but why are you involved? Couldn't the animators just submit this themselves?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    16,344 Posts
    Although all of the semen jokes about Mad Milk fill my lungs with RAGE, I did have a good Idea for that.
    The Scout points at the screen with his index finger in the same hand he's holding his Mad-Milk with, looking at the potential kill-cam, but his body facing to the left. He puts his left (Free) hand with an open-grasp and hovers it over his crotch, air-masturbating.
    And whoever is reading this that can animate, please don't do that.
    I was thinking more like he holds the milk out and does the jacking off motion over it. And these jokes are justified cause it was originally named Mann Milk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    Maybe I'm not getting this, but why are you involved? Couldn't the animators just submit this themselves?
    They could submit the raw animations without me, yes. But as far as getting it in-game to test. In the past I have seen animators do nothing but replace existing animations. The problem with that was that when they did a strict animation replacement, they would use the same vcd. That vcd had the length of the animation time--so if you replaced a 50 frame taunt with one that was 60 frame taunt, it would end 10 frames early. You would then not know how the fadeout sequences would look or anything at all.

So, as far as actually getting the raw file submitted--nothing at all--but as far as testing goes (and if the team wants a compiled Qc and Vcd and all that), then that's where I can help out.

Facial expressions and all that aren't done in the animation itself. To get it working in-game, it takes a lot of here and there to get it in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Not a fan of the Machina's taunt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    You're actually the first--but I am not surprised at all that you aren't.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    Neither am I. It's the same concept as the hat over heart taunt but with a religious element for no reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    August 2011
    5,430 Posts
    Neither am I. It's the same concept as the hat over heart taunt but with a religious element for no reason.
    Machina.

Deus Ex Machina.

God in the Machine.

God.

I guess?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2010
    258 Posts
    I was actually expecting more concern over the machina taunt.

Not that I mind. TF2 isn't exactly the most politically correct game.

Also I have to say I love the wrangler and machina taunt for their simplicity.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    16,344 Posts
    The machina taunt fits the sniper like his gloves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,943 Posts
    I think the Mad Milk taunt would have been better as a more or less direct copy of Young Link's taunt from Smash Bros Melee but otherwise this shit is GOLDEN.

(Love that GRU taunt ahahaha)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    10,124 Posts
    The machina taunt fits the sniper like his gloves.
    Assassins in media are often religious, or spiritual, in some way.

32. Post #32
    fuck you inspecter I do what I want
    August 2009
    10,238 Posts
    I think the medic's taunt should be more Germanic like not so much as an anime reference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,321 Posts
    tbh I think all the taunts in that video need work, quite a few of them are too flashy as well imo

34. Post #34
    not affiliated with Sega™
    July 2010
    2,521 Posts
    the GRU taunt reminded me of this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny x 7Winner x 2Agree x 2Artistic x 1Useful x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2011
    1,226 Posts
    I think the medic's taunt should be more Germanic like not so much as an anime reference.
    I think it has a little wiggle room since the Amputator is a Medieval update weapon--so you could push it off as Medieval witchcraft for healing. Had it been any other weapon (Save the bow), I'd agree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,656 Posts
    They're all really stiff, though I liked the jarate one.

37. Post #37

June 2009
    7,883 Posts
    omg atheist!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

38. Post #38
    March 2010
    81 Posts
    Scout drinking milk would be cool. He gets a little milk mustache and wipes it off.
    It would be awesome if it was Legend of Zelda style.

39. Post #39
    October 2011
    193 Posts
    The Machina taunt is good but doesnt fit the Machina.

40. Post #40
    BUY THE BROWN BOMBER
    February 2011
    7,636 Posts
    the soldier whip taunt should be the new laugh taunt for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)