1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts

This is what I am working on.

Behold the matrix! (just a random idea when looking at q3k's little demo)
    Day 23!
    Online Multiplayer!
    Who needs splitscreen when you have ONLINE MULTIPLAYER?
    Only players are currently synced, everything else is completely clientside. This will also work for local network without problems. The other guy in the video lives about 800km away.
    I will put netplay on hold until I have finished the game, though. It would become too much of a mess.

So I added rolling, jumping and basic level editor functionalities to my game.

(the red blocks don't do anything yet)

The rolling is always relative to the camera, so if you press up, you always move away from the camera, and if you press down you move towards the camera, etc.
    Added tearing

works pretty good
    Revised that algorithm as fuck.

displacement lightmaps :)

I've been working on a project for College this past semester, last time i spoke about it here was just when we started. Our time is now up and we are getting ready for the presentation now. I thought I'll show you guys some of what we've done:

It's a Team based, third person shooter. We have Controls points, Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch and a random Soccer game mode. 6 Classes each with 2 weapons and 2 abilities, each ability can be upgraded.
    Our art department is meant to do the levels but they didn't have enough time, so most of the maps are mine (including the one shown above). Most of the map textures there i just threw together as well.

We're going to recording a gameplay video soon; so i'll probably show that off too, next week :P.

Hey guys, I made my first android game. Please download it and tell me what you think. Its a remake of the classic Pipes game where you connect up all the tiles to turn them all green

Android Market for 'Source'
    joining the webm fad
    make sure you unmute

Two things. I made this sweet animation:

And while you nerds were arguing about the pros and cons of GIFs, I recorded it with a tool I made earlier today that lets you record GIF's directly off your desktop and upload to an FTP server automagically.
    I was bored in school today and forgot to sync Mari0 so I made something stupid (as usual)

It randomly prints phrases, too.

Totally copying Terraria

Edited:

Oh shit that tiny green line.. must fix

A green and red light in the room

(Also, ignore the horrible artifacts left by Java2D's fillArc().)
    added lighting to the cloth simulation

todo:

- options screen
    - pick picture from photo library
    - wind
    edit: wait, some of the highlights with webm are broken. one sec.
    edit2: fixed forever.

Older threads:
    Version 21 (November 2011)
    Version 20
    Version 19
    Version 18
    Version 17
    Version 16
    Version 15
    Version 14
    Version 13
    Version 12
    Version 11
    Version 10
    Version 9
    Version 8
    Version 7
    Version 6
    Version 5
    Version 4
    Version 3
    Version 2
    Version 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,956 Posts
    Complementary post about fresh thread smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    Simple and straight to the point. I like this OP style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,614 Posts
    Gave my "Pick a random IP And try and connect to it" Program a upgrade:

Edited:

Oh wow got to the highlights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,212 Posts
    Working on the rest of my material system, OpenIL can load more formats than I've ever heard of
    I challange someone to find me an image format it CANT load
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2007
    611 Posts
    An address book for my C++ class

I didn't say it was advanced or exciting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Thanks for using my header. The first WAYWO I participated in, I got a highlight in, too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,090 Posts
    no one likes broken webm files in the highlights so here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    975 Posts
    Does anyone know how to stop these debug messages being shown in Mono?

** (Test.exe:32243): WARNING **: _wapi_connect: error looking up socket handle 0xd
    It's a console application and it gets flooded with these so I can't read output.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts
    How do you get the line numbers from the compiled result?
    I currently compile it into "lines" with a character separating each statement. The number just points to a cell in the array of lines split by that character.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

11. Post #11

March 2009
    105 Posts
    Brittish people, it's your time to shine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    486 Posts
    Just thought i'd give a tiny update, for those who remember i posted about being invited to monetize my youtube account, i've created a whole new account with help from my brother and i shall keep you informed whether they will accept our adsense account or will keep it banned!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I can't wait for the autoplay video/animated gif fad to end. It's getting to the point where being able to load the page and scroll down without everything locking up is a small miracle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    I can't wait for the autoplay video/animated gif fad to end. It's getting to the point where being able to load the page and scroll down without everything locking up is a small miracle.
    I'm sorry, I'll be staying for another while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

15. Post #15
    Crescent fresh
    January 2011
    997 Posts
    Only happens to me on OPs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

16. Post #16
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    I understand your complaint, but people are much more likely to comment and rate if you have something that jumps into their eyes and burrows into their brain.

You can post about some awesome project you've worked on for 2 months, but without an image, you'll get a couple informative's. With several animated images, you'll instead get 30 programming kings, 20 artistics, 8 winner ratings, and people will comment on it for 2 pages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2006
    4,120 Posts
    Teaching myself C# and XNA.

Try
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Estonia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    September 2001
    12,369 Posts
    I like coming in here and seeing vids/animated gifs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 45Informative x 2Friendly x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2006
    148 Posts
    I like coming here to look for inspiration. The stuff the people in these threads produce makes me want to learn more. You guys are my inspirational mentors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    I mainly come here to see cool projects and rate images creative while I don't know what the hell is going on. Some day I will create a abomination that's actually worth posting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

21. Post #21
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,212 Posts

Texture manager working fully now, I'll be implementing things such as mipmapping later
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,956 Posts
    That's an interesting mix of OO and non-OO programming. Why have the material system return an ID? Why not a Texture class or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    That's an interesting mix of OO and non-OO programming. Why have the material system return an ID? Why not a Texture class or something?
    Easier to store and sort materials by ID I imagine - You want to batch together identical textures when rendering.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,212 Posts
    The texture ID will mostly not be exposed outside the engine, since most things will be handeled in the shader manager, but I should probably implement a texture handle class or something

Which would be totally useless really, since textures are only unloaded when they arent used, so if you do it right the ID will never be invalid, and the non-engine side should probably never be touching raw textures anyways

Edited:

Also, I actually have proper multi-monitor support! Why does nobody actually ever bother writing that when its just 100 lines of code
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

25. Post #25
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Easier to store and sort materials by ID I imagine - You want to batch together identical textures when rendering.
    This is true, but I'm wondering if it's worth it with the trade-offs you're forced to make. Generally you want some sort of spatial hierarchy structure to make frustum/occlusion culling viable, so if you're traversing a structure like that it doesn't seem convenient to batch meshes by sorting their texture ids.

You also benefit by sorting front-to-back when rendering opaque objects, since doing so will cause more hidden fragments to fail the depth test and be skipped entirely. I'd be interested to know which optimization is more useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

26. Post #26
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    It's really discouraging to not be in the hightlights :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Friendly Friendly x 8 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    This is true, but I'm wondering if it's worth it with the trade-offs you're forced to make. Generally you want some sort of spatial hierarchy structure to make frustum/occlusion culling viable, so if you're traversing a structure like that it doesn't seem convenient to batch meshes by sorting their texture ids.

You also benefit by sorting front-to-back when rendering opaque objects, since doing so will cause more hidden fragments to fail the depth test and be skipped entirely. I'd be interested to know which optimization is more useful.
    Wouldn't you want to sort through which objects you _want_ to render, then sort by shader/textureID? I've yet to develop a system like this so you could be right.

28. Post #28
    June 2010
    1,338 Posts
    How do I make a good muzzle flash effect? I've been looking at the same things for so long I don't understand why they look so bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Happy holidays my fellow comrades!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

30. Post #30
    gra

August 2011
    276 Posts
    Hello World
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 29 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts

Texture manager working fully now, I'll be implementing things such as mipmapping later
    Just a quick gotcha note: Binding textures may be a bottleneck once you have lots of them, it may be better to use portions of an image, like a sprite sheet.

Also, whitespace nazi unite!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts

Woo, full texture pallet loading and slightly bigger map parsing.
    16x16 worked just the same as the 8x8 map, so it should scale to 64x64 fine, but I did notice that it had swapped X and Y of the input map. Hm.
    I'm thinking of breaking it up into chunks for the renderer somehow, but I'm not sure how or if this is a good idea.
    The best I could come up with was iterating through the walls matching start and end points together to form rooms, then somehow linking them via doors. The problem is I can only think of an O(n^n) style algorithm for calculating that with how the walls are currently stored, which doesn't sound much fun.
    Any ideas?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Thanks for using my header. The first WAYWO I participated in, I got a highlight in, too!
    That was your first? Way to fit in to the community.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    How did I not make the highlights AGAIN?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts

Woo, full texture pallet loading and slightly bigger map parsing.
    16x16 worked just the same as the 8x8 map, so it should scale to 64x64 fine, but I did notice that it had swapped X and Y of the input map. Hm.
    I'm thinking of breaking it up into chunks for the renderer somehow, but I'm not sure how or if this is a good idea.
    The best I could come up with was iterating through the walls matching start and end points together to form rooms, then somehow linking them via doors. The problem is I can only think of an O(n^n) style algorithm for calculating that with how the walls are currently stored, which doesn't sound much fun.
    Any ideas?
    Uhh input size should have little bearing on the speed you render at. It's a raycaster.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Uhh input size should have little bearing on the speed you render at. It's a raycaster.
    No it isn't, it's a meshrenderer.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    No it isn't, it's a meshrenderer.
    Oh. In software?

Edited:

Because if not, that shouldn't even need optimization. You could render a huge Wolfenstein3d map in fixed function immediate mode really quickly. I've done shit like that before.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Oh. In software?

Edited:

Because if not, that shouldn't even need optimization. You could render a huge Wolfenstein3d map in fixed function immediate mode really quickly. I've done shit like that before.
    Programmable batched mode in fact. That's good to know though, I'm just making this up as I go along :D

39. Post #39
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Oh. In software?

Edited:

The console on the right mentions vertex and fragment shaders, so it seems to be a relatively modern 3D graphics API.

The title on the top also says 'OpenGL', so that's kind of a giveaway...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,212 Posts
    Also, whitespace nazi unite!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)