1. Post #1
    November 2009
    10,079 Posts
    [release]
    [h=1]Thieves Arrested After Pocket-Dialing 911[/h]
    Email2Smaller FontTextLarger Text|Print

Two thieves who couldn’t stop bragging about their loot of video games and DVDs from a Target store were surprised to find that someone was listening in on their conversation– a 911 operator.
    According to police in Madison, Wisc., one of the shoplifters accidentally pocket-dialed 911 following the Dec. 13 heist, discussing how smoothly the operation went and deriding other thieves for getting caught.
    The men, in their late 20s, allegedly stole the goods and then began discussing their plans to resell the games and movies for a profit to a local video game store. Their conversation was recorded for an hour by the 911 oeprator, who at first was befuddled by the conversation before catching on.
    Police–clued in by the 911 dispatcher– beat the thieves to the video game store and awaited their arrival with guns drawn.
    [/release]

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-dialing-911/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Funny Funny x 60Winner Winner x 6Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2010
    3,167 Posts
    Morons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    773 Posts
    How does this even happen..?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,684 Posts
    most (all?) non-touch screen phones have a safety feature where you can dial emergency numbers like 911 and 112 without unlocking the phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2008
    1,599 Posts
    most (all?) non-touch screen phones have a safety feature where you can dial emergency numbers like 911 and 112 without unlocking the phone
    And it activates every time you rob a store.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 53Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,452 Posts
    patents used to be about preventing inventors from taking credit for someone else's inventions. now it's all about monopolizing. get the fuck out of here with your bull, apple

oh shit, wrong thread. my bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    patents used to be about preventing inventors from taking credit for someone else's inventions. now it's all about monopolizing. get the fuck out of here with your bull, apple
    you're right, apple will probably patent pocket dialing next, the monsters!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    10,765 Posts
    Plus it's not hard to unlock button based phones, I've had mine backpack dial on me plenty of times even though I always make sure it's locked. And some touch phones have this feature as well.

Edited:

Wrong thread. Also something ironic about it considering you're a mac.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,991 Posts
    He is on a mac, True, But does that imedeatly mean that he supports Apple's patents ? He likes the products, And so to say i like them too, Just the corp. i dont like....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2010
    410 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,452 Posts

Wrong thread. Also something ironic about it considering you're a mac.
    trust me, i'd be using my PC but it broke a while back and I can't afford to fix it or buy a new one, so i'm stuck with this macbook that my school gave me :\
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2008
    1,599 Posts

oh shit, wrong thread. my bad
    bahahaha nice

13. Post #13
    January 2011
    2,288 Posts
    Pretty sure this is the same news as the last one.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...428&highlight=

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,020 Posts
    Plus it's not hard to unlock button based phones, I've had mine backpack dial on me plenty of times even though I always make sure it's locked. And some touch phones have this feature as well.
    You can't really buttdial with a touch phone though, unless it uses those flimsy pressure-based touch systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2010
    2,366 Posts
    You can't really buttdial with a touch phone though, unless it uses those flimsy pressure-based touch systems.
    or if you have an electric ass...

Expected zing, got optimistic instead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,631 Posts
    Obviously the government is listening in at all times and they force the phone to call 911 and make the criminals believe they accidentally pocket dialed.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,375 Posts
    or if you have an electric ass...
    In fact, the ass is electric, you can control your touchscreen with your butt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    654 Posts
    My friend's friend ass-dials all the time lol.

19. Post #19
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    7,875 Posts
    Apparently, its pretty easy. As far as I can tell, I've never done it before. But I've had several "buttdialed" calls from people with touchscreen phones. And they were capacitive too.

I'm assuming if the skin on their leg is conductive enough and their pants are tight enough, it will start interacting with the touchscreen in their pocket if the screen happens to turn on. The solution is putting some passlock on the phone, because odds are, your not going to butt-dial your pattern or PIN number.

I'm going to assume one of these guys had a phone that has an emergency call hotkey. It seems pretty unlikely that it would hit 9-1-1 <send>.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,331 Posts
    trust me, i'd be using my PC but it broke a while back and I can't afford to fix it or buy a new one, so i'm stuck with this macbook that my school gave me :\
    oh poor, poor you..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    10,765 Posts
    He is on a mac, True, But does that imedeatly mean that he supports Apple's patents ? He likes the products, And so to say i like them too, Just the corp. i dont like....
    I was just joking.