1. Post #1
    The Transparency Wizard
    September 2009
    1,497 Posts

RELEASED

http://release.blackmesasource.com/p...d_manager.html

RELEASED

Overview:

The concept for a remake of Half-Life started in 2004 when a group of modders and displeased fans decided Half-Life Source was a bad port, and didn't make full use of the Source Engine's capabilities. In the beginning, 2 seperate teams had formed for the project, Leakfree, and the Half-Life: Source overhaul Project, both with the ambitious goal or recreating Half Life from scratch. Upon finding out about each other, the 2 teams merged together, and the Black Mesa: Source mod was created in 2005. They have, however, since dropped 'Source' from their name at the request of Valve, and are now simply known as 'Black Mesa'.

Since then, Black Mesa has become one of the largest mods ever made, a complete stand-alone game recreated with almost all custom content. The mod has been in development for 5 years and has won 4 awards and 3 honorable mentions.

Locations:

Black Mesa is set in and around the Black Mesa Research Facility as depicted in the original Half-Life game.

The majority of Black Mesa takes place in the Black Mesa Research Facility, a massive Research and Development lab built on the remains of a Cold War era Missile Complex in the New Mexican desert. The Black Mesa Corporation is a privately owned company, funded by the US Government. The Black Mesa Research Facility is home to just about every type of Scientific Research. Everything from basic science, to teleportation, to aliens are being studied in the compound. Employees live and work at the base, which is kept alive via Railroads used to bring in supplies from outside world. Black Mesa is kept safe and secure by it's remote location, heavy doors, and a large team of armed and trained Security Officers.

In this base, the player will fight through Laboratories, Offices, Tunnels, Warehouses, Surface Areas, Sewers, and Silos. All the while facing heavy opposition from both large numbers of Aliens, and the might of the US Military. Later in the game, the player is transported to Xen. Little is known about Xen or how it will appear in Black Mesa, as the devs have been very secretive about this part of the game.

Enemies:

Black Mesa intends to keep all the original enemies, and has stated that new enemies are not likely. Most enemies in Black Mesa have been recreated and remade. The only exceptions are the Headcrab, and the Barnacle, both of which appear and behave exactly as they did in HL2. Vortiguants look much like they did in EP2, with a slightly modified appearance. Many of the enemies have been made more challenging to fight thanks to better AI and health / damage tweaks.
    Each squad has a commander who leads the troops, and killing the commander will result in the other soldiers becoming less organized and effective. Many HECU Squads will also have Combat Medics which will heal their allies in battle, as well as defend themselves if they need to. It has also been implied that HECU Soldiers may not fall for Trip Mines.

There will not be any new enemies, or enemies added from other Half-Life games or expansion packs.

Weapons and Items:

Black Mesa will have most of the original weapons from Half-Life with new sounds, models and animations. A few exceptions are the M198 Howitzer, and the M20A1 FLASH, having both been replaced by the BGM-71 TOW. Ammo counts have been changed as well for balance reasons; The shotgun no longer carries 125 round, but is now limited to 30. The Grenade Launcher only holds 5 shots instead of 10. Larger weapons include M2HB Heavy Machine Guns, Weapon Emplacements, and a device for calling in Mortar Strikes.

Items in Black Mesa include the H.E.V. Suit, Health and H.E.V. Chargers, Ammunition, Health Kits, Batteries, TOW Missiles (around launchers), various Explosives, Weapon Boxes (on Xen only), and hundreds of new props.

Additional Features:

Achievements
    Cinematic Physics
    Co-Op gameplay (though it is unsure whether it will be done)
    Easter Eggs
    Face Creation System
    Gib System
    NPC Dynamic Interaction System
    Original Music by Joel Nielsen
    Sprint Function
    Voice Acting
    And much more.

For more information, visit the Black Mesa wiki, check out the FAQ, or visit the Forums.

Images

Links

http://blackmesasource.com/
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Winner x 73Dumb x 8Funny x 7Late x 6Informative x 3Optimistic x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,225 Posts
    I guess black mesa mod is completed. They just have to fix bugs and glitches.

Pozdro dla Da Evil Doctor Moodic xD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Dumb x 47Disagree x 5Optimistic x 4Agree x 2Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    05' Elitist
    November 2005
    270 Posts
    I see nothing has changed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 44Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    7,149 Posts
    Still... waiting...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 26Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    I guess black mesa mod is completed. They just have to fix bugs and glitches.

Pozdro dla Da Evil Doctor Moodic xD
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 30Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2009
    1,114 Posts
    Their last twitter post was almost 2 years ago...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    The Transparency Wizard
    September 2009
    1,497 Posts
    <snip>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,791 Posts
    Their last twitter post was almost 2 years ago...
    They stopped using it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Informative Informative x 7Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,290 Posts
    Well its almost true, last thing we heard about progress was in September, they were finishing up On a Rail and... some other level, after that it was just polishing.

Edited:

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=9883

good thread to read for developer quotes and progress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 7Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,290 Posts
    I completely forgot those existed.
    I remember those screenshots being bigger. Maybe because My monitor was smaller when they first came out.

I'd also like to point out that those Screen shots were taken on dev versions of the maps, not meant to be shown off in any way. Its also the reason the Xen section is all black its a surprise.

I think Raminator said something about the lighting not being fully compiled to the maps. It was months ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    117 Posts
    Those are really neat, and I think those show how much work was put into this mod. I know it won't be released for quite a while, but that amount of work I highly doubt will be just abandoned and never be released
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    5,266 Posts
    Its 2012 and not released, wasn't this annouced in 2008 or 2009? Since then I was worrying if my PC could handle it, but now my new one can. Hopefully it will still be worth the wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Its 2012 and not released, wasn't this annouced in 2008 or 2009? Since then I was worrying if my PC could handle it, but now my new one can. Hopefully it will still be worth the wait.

They never gave a release date though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2009
    1,008 Posts
    im so excited for their 2068 release
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 38Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2010
    946 Posts
    I want to believe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2011
    687 Posts
    Never seen those atomic ones before
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,652 Posts
    This mod will never be released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 36Disagree x 15Optimistic x 3Informative x 2Funny x 1Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,800 Posts
    >Win mod of the year
    >'fuck yea we won something already'
    >never work on it again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 43Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts
    I want to believe
    So do I

(And I don't believe this is an image macro since the original image had the text as part of it to begin with so I'm just editing a well known image)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 8Zing x 7Optimistic x 2Artistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Want an apple?
    October 2010
    2,904 Posts
    Is this ever gonna come out? My friend from my old school can still talk for hours about it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    June 2010
    2,477 Posts
    90% or so of the posts in this thread are saying that it's never going to come out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2010
    232 Posts

Just some stats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Informative x 36Agree x 8Winner x 7Late x 5Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,855 Posts
    holy fucking christ, that's about 6.3 GB
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

26. Post #26
    September 2008
    715 Posts
    Those are some pretty interesting stats. Also, [generic comment about how its still now out yet], and I've been following this since early 2006!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    970 Posts
    I'm getting impatient about this :L
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,998 Posts
    Remember when the release date was 2010?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29

She's like a hunchback or something.

I like the long-fall boots, though. They're a nice touch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 45Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30

December 2011
    50 Posts
    holy fucking christ, that's about 6.3 GB
    To be more precise:

06-05-11: 9.05 GB
    19-06-11: 9.60 GB
    02-09-11: 8.25 GB (new compression)
    02-11-11: 8.6 GB
    01-01-12: 7884 MB ()
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,960 Posts
    Still has a good chance of releasing before Episode 3. Honestly, a Black Mesa release would ease the pain of waiting for Episode 3 or vice vice versa.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    This mod looks promising... wait... oh, it's BMS...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    676 Posts
    To be more precise:

06-05-11: 9.05 GB
    19-06-11: 9.60 GB
    02-09-11: 8.25 GB (new compression)
    02-11-11: 8.6 GB
    01-01-12: 7884 MB ()
    Well time to find some room on my PC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts
    Like 10 GB isn't even that much if the game is as big as HL but with modern graphics

L4D2 is like 10 GB last time I checked and it's much shorter than HL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,222 Posts
    They're co-releasing it with HL3. Valve shut them up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 11Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Winner x 1Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts
    They're co-releasing it with HL3. Valve shut them up.
    So we'll be getting both of them in 2020!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 9Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    July 2011
    810 Posts
    I bet this time next year we will be still waiting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

38. Post #38
    November 2010
    532 Posts
    Since the Devs are not delivering anything here are some random and truly dumb images from the BMS forums:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 116Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 6Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts
    The last two aren't that bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts

Is that Patrick Stewart?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)