October 2007
    7,106 Posts

[TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Pokémon General v10
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Nostalgia(Claiming generation one is the best, type of nostalgia) will be laughed at.

Pokémon is a series of video games primarily for Nintendo handheld game systems, as well as the overarching franchise based on these games. Though many things differ depending on a specific canon's interpretation of the series, what remains constant is the focus on creatures known as Pokémon, which can be captured, trained, and used to compete against one another in battle or, more recently, other activities.

History of Pokémon games,

Gen I Coveted for its nostalgia but only that. 151 Pokémon Added

Red, Blue and Yellow (RBY)
    Pokémon Snap!
    Pokémon Stadium
    Pinball

Gen II Breeding, Shinys, Hold Items, Happiness, Time system and Genders were added. 100 Pokémon Added

Gold, Silver and Crystal (GSC)
    Pokémon Stadium II

Gen III Contests, Abilitys, Natures, Reform of IV/EV and Double battles. 135

Pokémon Added

Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald (RSE)
    Fire Red, Leaf Green (FRLG)
    Pokémon Colosseum
    Pokémon Ranger
    Mystery Dungeon
    Various others

Gen IV A Complete Battle Frontier, Wifi, Global Trading Center(GTC), Complete Meta Game*, 3D rendering of the overworld. 107 Pokémon Added

Diamond, Pearl and Platinum (DPt)
    HeartGold and SoulSilver (HGSS)
    Pokémon Battle Revolution
    Ranger/Dungeon Sequels

Gen V Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, Dreamworld and Loads of Wifi Features.

Black and White
    Pokemon Plus Nobunaga's Ambition
    Black and White 2

Gen VI Three-Dee

X and Y

Helpful Sources:
    http://pokebeach.com/ - http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml -General Pokemon News and info
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page -The Pokémon Wiki, In-depth info on everything Pokémon
    http://www.smogon.com/ -Competitive Play information and guides
    http://pokemon-online.eu/ -Very nice battle simulator. More bellow.

Metagame Guide Mostly Copy-pasta from Smogon

Finish the game and dont know what to do? Thats because most people overlook competitive play for Pokémon. Plus its really fun.

Competitive play requires knowledge of what Pokémon might be paired up on a team, what moves they might have, and how you can use your Pokemon to win.

Tiers

Most of the competitive community follows the Smogon tiers and clauses or the Pokemon Online tiers. Note: What Pokemon go in what tiers is determined by usage, not just power(for smogon at least, I dont know how PO dictates theirs.)

Use the PO list as most battles happen on tier simulator.

http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/show...en-5-Tier-List

UBER- Ubers are Pokémon that are considered too powerful for the OU metagame. The Uber tier is not meant to be a balanced tier, and therefore isn't the main metagame. Every Pokémon is allowed in this tier.

OU/Overused- OverUsed is the main metagame and used for most competitive battles and tournaments. It is the balanced tier that bans as few Pokémon as possible. However, placement in OU is based on usage rather than power, because power is difficult to gauge objectively. A Pokémon is OU if it shows up in 1 out of every 20 teams in the standard metagame.

BL/Borderline- Borderline is a non-competitive tier that has a function similar to that of Ubers. It is to include Pokémon that aren't used sufficiently to be considered OU, but are too powerful to be used in UU.

UU/Underused- UnderUsed is a lower competitive metagame than OU and is generally composed of Pokémon that aren't powerful enough to compete in OU. It is also based on usage.

NU/Neverused- NeverUsed is the lowest tier in the system and denoted Pokémon that are extremely weak. It is based on usage and doesn't exist in RBY or GSC, due to there not being enough Pokémon.

NFE/Not Fully Evolved- Pokemon that are not fully evolved.
    Limbo- Limbo serves as a place where Pokémon that do not yet have a decided tier are put.

OU is the most common tier

Clauses

Small, individual sets of rules that can be selected by the trainers before the battle. Basicaly removes bullshit and adds balance.

Evasion Clause*
    Moves that boost evasion (i.e. Double Team and Minimize) are not allowed. (Accupuncture is allowed)

Freeze Clause
    Two or more Pokémon on a team cannot be frozen at the same time.

Sleep Clause*
    Two or more Pokémon on a team cannot be asleep at the same time. Self-induce sleep via rest does not activate Sleep Clause.

OHKO Clause*
    One-Hit KO moves are not allowed.

Species Clause*
    Two or more of the same Pokémon may not be used on the same team.

Self KO Clause
    If both players have only one Pokémon left, moves which KO both the user and the opponent are not allowed (e.g. Explosion, Destiny Bond). If recoil damage would cause a tie, Self KO Clause does not activate, and the player who last attacked is the winner.

Item Clause
    All Pokémon on a team must hold different items. This is not a standard clause in competitive play, but it is used in Nintendo tournaments.

* Indicates Standard Clause

Stat Mechanics This section is pure copy-pasta.

These are mechanics that affect the statistics of a Pokémon, and thus affect its ability to give, take, and avoid damage.

Natures

Every Pokémon can have 1 out of 25 different natures. Most natures will raise one stat by 10% and lower another stat by 10%. In competitive battling, every Pokémon has one or two preferred natures depending on the moveset they are using. For example, a Pokémon meant to use only physical attacks would most likely benefit from an Adamant nature, which raises Attack by 10% and lowers Special Attack by 10%.

There are 5 Natures out there which do not have an effect on any stat. They are Hardy, Serious, Bashful, Quirky, and Docile. These natures should not be used in a competitive setting since they provide no beneficial stat boosts to the Pokémon.

For a list of natures and what stats they affect, Click Here.

Effort Values (EVs)

EVs are "invisible" numbers that can increase a Pokémon's stats. Every 4 EVs in a particular stat is equal to 1 point in that stat. Every Pokémon is capable of having a maximum of 510 EVs with a maximum of 255 EVs in any one stat. Note that neither 510 nor 255 are numbers that are divisible by 4. This means you only need 508 EVs total (252 EVs in any one stat) to have a completely EV-trained Pokémon. The remaining 2 EVs are useless.

For more information on EV's and how to EV train Pokémon in the cartridge games, See Here.

Individual Values (IVs)

Two untrained Pokémon of the same species with the same level and nature may still have slightly different stats. The reason behind this is that the two Pokémon have different IVs. IVs are "invisible" numbers that range from 0 to 31 and tell you the quality of a Pokémon's stats. 0 means that particular Pokémon's stat is the lowest it can be. 31 means that stat is at its best and is considered a perfect IV.

Unlike EVs, IVs cannot be changed and are permanent when you obtain the Pokémon. There is no guaranteed way of obtaining the exact IVs you want. The best way to get a Pokémon with good IVs is by breeding. More information on IV breeding can be found in the Breeding Guide.

Competitive Pokémon battling is based on the assumption that all players have perfect Pokémon. Much like professional athletes have near limitless access to state-of-the-art sports equipment, competitive Pokémon strategy assumes you have access to perfect Pokémon. This is often a difficult concept for players of the cartridge games to understand. But, it is essential to forget about that "awesome level 78 Charizard" you used to beat the Elite Four in FireRed. In competitive Pokémon, all players use level 100 Pokémon exclusively, they use only the most powerful species of Pokémon, AND the Pokémon are perfectly EV trained with perfect IVs, with perfect moves.

You may wonder, "How it is possible to get completely perfect Pokémon for competitive play?" In most cases, it is only possible to obtain perfect Pokémon through the use of a Battle Simulator - which is a program built for the express purpose of allowing competitive players to quickly and easily assemble entire teams of perfect Pokémon, and then battle against others. It's also possible to acquire perfect Pokémon through trading networks of competitive breeders, and thus use perfect Pokémon and competitive strategies in wifi battles and real-life tournaments.

Pokemon Online

Pokemon Online is a battle simulator. It has all the mechanics the games have except the irritating grind that IVs and EVs are. Its absolutely great if you want to get some battles in or test a team.

It's very simple to create a team. You open the teambuilder, pick your Pokemon, moves, items, nature, etc and save it on your hard drive. After that its just joining a server and participating by challenging friends or doing random battles. You will however need to set your tier at the top.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 9Dumb x 6Informative x 4Late x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    okay let's start this shit

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 32Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2011
    1,033 Posts
    Alright, new thread. It could have at least had 'January' in the title, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    We dont do 3000 posts in a month and I dislike titles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,322 Posts
    So, what is considered the hardest generation/games? And any word on what will be in the 3rd version(or if it will be harder)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    September 2011
    1,033 Posts
    We dont do 3000 posts in a month and I dislike titles.
    Oh, forgot about that important bit. It doesn't really matter anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    April 2010
    3,773 Posts
    I wish I had a job, I want to buy a 3DS and play the new pokemon games. I miss them so much but hate playing ROMS. (I don't even know if there is a 3DS ROM | Wouldn't use if it there was)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2010
    1,930 Posts
    Oh hey, new thread.

Also Bionic, most of the newer games can be played on the old DS, including Black and White. However, if you are talking about the Pokerumble (or whatever it's called) sequel, then I guess you are out of luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    I paid $999.99 for a forum upgrade and all I got was a beating from my mother :(
    February 2005
    16,987 Posts
    I hate the new Pokemon episodes and the new voice actors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Late Late x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2010
    3,773 Posts
    Oh hey, new thread.

Also Bionic, most of the newer games can be played on the old DS, including Black and White. However, if you are talking about the Pokerumble (or whatever it's called) sequel, then I guess you are out of luck.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since RBY because my gameboy was stolen from me at school in the 6th grade. (sad panda I was)

I'll look into getting a DS though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    hilariously terrible!
    April 2010
    453 Posts
    Playing the original Blue version, at the elite four. Fighting Lorelei's Dewgong with my Charizard.

"Dewgong used Aurora Beam!"
    "It's super effective!"

Then I remember Gen 1 was wierd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,322 Posts
    I wish I had a job, I want to buy a 3DS and play the new pokemon games. I miss them so much but hate playing ROMS. (I don't even know if there is a 3DS ROM | Wouldn't use if it there was)
    Same, I want to see if the whole "hardest game in the series" is bullshit, or true.

13. Post #13
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,027 Posts
    Guys, is the AR Pokedex for the 3DS free?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,054 Posts
    Toasting in the fresh bread.
    Lookin slick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

15. Post #15
    September 2011
    1,033 Posts
    Guys, is the AR Pokedex for the 3DS free?
    Yes. It is very free.

Now, it'd be really nice if all Pokémon were implemented at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,030 Posts
    Same, I want to see if the whole "hardest game in the series" is bullshit, or true.
    I've heard Platinum was really hard, but I haven't played it (for SHAME, Shibbey).

Also, dat new thread smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,902 Posts
    Haven't been on here in a while. Have any big changes happened in the past few months?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events

18. Post #18
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    Meh, peeps in PO aren't getting too creative nowadays.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

19. Post #19
    I paid $999.99 for a forum upgrade and all I got was a beating from my mother :(
    February 2005
    16,987 Posts
    I hope Pokemon FireRed and whatever Blue is in the 3DS store!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    $1 TITLE!
    December 2007
    3,740 Posts
    I always found R/S/E to be hardest tier. Mostly because of the 7th Gym being a doublefuck of psychics which shat all over my Blaziken
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #21
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,027 Posts
    I always found R/S/E to be hardest tier. Mostly because of the 7th Gym being a doublefuck of psychics which shat all over my Blaziken
    Fucking Double Battles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,425 Posts
    I hope Pokemon FireRed and whatever Blue is in the 3DS store!
    FireRed and LeafGreen are remakes of the original Red and Green only released in Japan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    May 2009
    13,030 Posts
    Raped that shit with a Swords Dance Absol. Absol is faster than everything they throw at you + beastly 130 base attack.

24. Post #24
    September 2011
    1,487 Posts
    Pokémon yellow is still by far my most favourite Pokémon game ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,425 Posts
    Thread needs music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    October 2011
    163 Posts
    Haven't played White in forever. I'm gonna start a new game, but can't decide on a starter.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,425 Posts
    Haven't played White in forever. I'm gonna start a new game, but can't decide on a starter.
    Pick a number, 1, 2 or 3.
    I have assigned each one to a starter.

28. Post #28
    October 2011
    163 Posts
    Pick a number, 1, 2 or 3.
    I have assigned each one to a starter.

29. Post #29
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,027 Posts
    Snivy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,425 Posts
    Bit late, but you chose Tepig

31. Post #31
    October 2011
    163 Posts
    Bit late, but you chose Tepig
    Snivy it is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2009
    1,504 Posts
    Snivy it is
    I hate snivy the way he looks at you like a smug fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    October 2011
    163 Posts
    I can agree to that. I'm gonna pick Oshawott instead.

Edited:

also I'm guessing that no matter what number I chose, I would get tepig.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    Snivy is fucking awesome fuck you fuck that little otter piece of shit

Edited:

fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    i love all pokemon
    except for bug
    normal
    and grass
    they're all fuckheads
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

36. Post #36
    snivy is OG y'all are haters
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2010
    1,055 Posts

pardon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    May 2009
    13,030 Posts
    Snivy and Servine are awesome.

Serperior sucks dick, ugly as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

40. Post #40
    August 2010
    1,055 Posts
    She looks beautiful in a lot of fan art, but you guys got mad last time i posted things with boobs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)