1. Post #1
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts

[h2]What is Project Zomboid?[/h2]

Project Zomboid is a fairly new and upcoming indie title, currently in beta stages of development, from a small team who call themselves "The Indie Stone".

The game is places you in a familiar situation; zombies are real and the world is going to shit. The goal in the game is simply to survive in a sandbox world for as long as you can by collecting supplies and tools, crafting unique tools, creating a safe house, and keeping yourself healthy by eating, sleeping and keeping your mental state in a reasonable state.

What I mean by creating a safe house isn't to grab a few planks and building in the middle of nowhere, it's not that in depth (not to say it can't be in the future!), however if you manage to find a hammer you can board up windows, doors, and also create barricades (which is basically big destructible wooden walls). There are plans to be able to move furniture so we can do what we always wanted and push a sofa in front of the door. When you gather stuff you'll need it often so happens that you'll be held back by the weight of all the stuff you're carrying, so you need to clear out the kitchen of the place you're holding up and start making use of all those cupboards. The best kind of food you'll find will sometimes need cooked, so you'll need access to one of those, and a fridge so they stay fresh. You'll also need a bed or seat to sleep in. All this will keep you from being depressed and you'll be in a fitter state for surviving another day.

In a world with zombies and infections going around chances are you're not the only one to have the shitty enough luck to be in this situation, and so that stands in PZ. You'll find in your adventures that NPCs will be walking around, with each their own personality. You'll be able to team up with teammates, but if you think they have an infection is that a good move? You'll find people who don't trust anyone in fear of becoming infected, so the first thing they'll do is point their gun to your head, and wither they give you a chance to talk your way out of it will be entirely up to them. So while the main danger is zombies, it's not the only one out there!

It's to be noted that in this game you will die. This game is harsh on you from the start, and attacking a single zombie without being properly armed can end your play-through. The game brags this point to you by beginning your play-through with the sentence "This is how you died". While to some that may sound unattractive as a feature to a game, it works well, and it's fun because of it. You simply wouldn't be able to get the same feeling of fear before opening every door, before going for supplies, or after spending your last bullet on saving your ass.

[h2]When will it be released?[/h2]

Currently there is no set date for release. However the indie stone has followed along with the recent indie style and allows purchase of the game now, and you'll get access to an alpha version, all future updates, and the full game upon release. The game is for sale on Desura, and as far as I'm aware should be available on Steam fairly soon, but don't hold me up on that. You can also play a recent, but old alpha version of the game for free. Download from the Desura link for free, so you have no reason to pirate it if you want to try it.

[h2]FAQ[/h2]

Will there be multiplayer?
    Yes, it has been said numerous times that it is a planned feature, and it is listed on their official site as a planned feature.

Is this still under development?
    The only reason I list this is because a lot of people seem to think that development on this has stopped because of quite a bit of drama happening a while back, when the computer the only copy of the source code was on for a upcoming update was stolen. But yes, it is still under development, and most lost features have been made again, and in addition made better. See below for the most recent update's details.

How is this game looking for mods? Is the devs planning to support it?
    They do indeed support modding. Better yet, they've already started supporting the modding scene. It's already possible to to build your own maps, weapons, change textures, and there's a whole scripting language built dedicated to building story missions and similar stuff, take that Notch!. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, so I'll be talking about this in more detail further down.

Need, or want to contact the developers?
    There are various ways to go about this. First is emailing them using the emails here, second would be to to send a tweet their way, and they'll also, although not very often, post on Facepunch, if you want to try your luck that way.

[h2]Modding[/h2]

Point out a single person out there that doesn't like a few mods and I'll be surprised. The PZ developers seem to be very determined to add modding support to the game, with it already being possible to mod the shit out of your copy of the game, to a fairly good level. Lets go over what we can currently do, and what we'll soon be able to do.

Level editing and creation, world textures.etc
    While level editing and creation is what I'd call "optimized" for doing so yet, with a few niggles keeping some potential back, it's entirely possible to edit levels at this point in time, removing places you don't like, or creating an entire new block of buildings to survive in. Last time I checked it wasn't possible to create a new level from scratch, because of the game starting with a tutorial, but it could be possible now. Level editing makes use of the the free tool called Tiled to create maps.

If maps is what you're interested in then be sure to check out this guide to get you started:
    http://theindiestone.com/community/v...hp?f=34&t=3961

Costumes, character editing:
    This is a planned feature and not yet possible to do, however Binky, one of the devs, has been creating a nifty looking tool to make this process extremely easy. I believe this tool was one of the things lost when someone stole their computer, but it's being remade, and like many of the other features lost, looks even better than before. Read more.

Scripting, custom stories, custom items:
    This is by far the most impressive part of the modding support I've seen from this team, especially because of how early it arrived. Why? Well, lemmy101, another one of the developers made it possible to quite easily program all this stuff into their game, by making an easy scripting library. http://theindiestone.com/community/v...hp?f=34&t=3962

item Pillow
    {
    Type = Normal,
    DisplayName = Pillow,
    Icon = Pillow,
    Weight = 2
    }
    [highlight]Modding update: Lua is now 100% supported, in addition to all of the above!

[h2]What's going on now? (Latest update news)[/h2]

Basically right now they're working towards a huge update, which will make the game feel more like a game and less like a beta, so they can release the game on Steam via their already approved greenlight application.

- Completely new map system, which allows areas of maps to be streamed into the game, meaning there's a much MUCH bigger world size potential.
    - New areas for said massive world.
    - A Metagame which effectively simulates things that you aren't near in a efficient way, allowing for a much more lively and much more believable world. Groups of NPC's will form miles away, looting and exploring the world, for example. It basically simulates the world that you don't see in a optimized way.
    - Much more advanced (and unbroken) NPC AI, with A LOT of dialog wrote for the many situations you'll come across.
    - Improved animations, graphics, environment.
    - Kate & Baldspot story redone and expanded upon.
    - New mapping tools, and other things to make modding much easier.
    - New features such as farming and camping.
    - Revamp'd construction system. If you're shit at carpentry, you're gonna be building shit walls, but you'll get better eventually.
    - Sandbox mode in the current version will be split into two different modes. "Survival and Sandbox". Survival is basically what today's survival is, which the PZ team setting the rules. Sandbox lets you set the rules by changing a bunch of variables to change the gameplay.
    - Probably more that I've forgot to list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 22Disagree x 1Informative x 1Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2011
    6,508 Posts
    BRAAAAAAAAAINS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,287 Posts
    Everything is in a weird format and it's late.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    May 2011
    278 Posts
    Nice new thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts
    Everything is in a weird format and it's late.
    I know it's late:
    On an ending note, I'm aware another v3 thread already exists, however before it was posted I was already half through writing this one, and I feel this one gives more information about the game. The other thread is also created by the same person who created the V2, and it wasn't updated that much - I plan to keep this up to date as soon as new news comes out, as I actively follow this games progress. (So hopefully I didn't waste a few hours gathering info, and writing this for nothing!)
    It shouldn't be too weird unless you've got a pretty small monitor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,287 Posts
    Using a 26 inch monitor. But it looks really weird. Huge gaps without text or pictures on the right and a small bar of text on the left.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #7
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts
    Using a 26 inch monitor. But it looks really weird. Huge gaps without text or pictures on the right and a small bar of text on the left.
    Alright. Fixed it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,287 Posts
    That's much better. I hope this thread survives.

9. Post #9
    August 2008
    940 Posts
    We already have a new thread, don't we?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,715 Posts
    It's V2 all over again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

11. Post #11
    October 2010
    10,385 Posts
    If you know it's late why did you make a new one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

12. Post #12
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts
    If you know it's late why did you make a new one?
    We already have a new thread, don't we?
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was a race.

I spent a good 2-3 hours writing the whole thread so it was up to date and in detail, covering everything down to modding. The other thread is a single line of text by the op, and link to the download, a copy pasted feature list, and 2 YouTube videos.

As I said before, I was half way through writing the OP when the other thread popped up, and even that half I had wrote was more than that other thread, so I kept going thinking maybe someone would appreciate it. Obviously not though, by the sounds of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 10 (list)

13. Post #13
    I wonder what the "hidden feature" in the video is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    10,385 Posts

I spent a good 2-3 hours writing the whole thread so it was up to date and in detail, covering everything down to modding. The other thread is a single line of text by the op, and link to the download, a copy pasted feature list, and 2 YouTube videos.

As I said before, I was half way through writing the OP when the other thread popped up, and even that half I had wrote was more than that other thread, so I kept going thinking maybe someone would appreciate it. Obviously not though, by the sounds of it.
    It's not a race, but it's just kind of stupid to make 2 threads and then judge which one is better, it's been done in the past and people ended up being a drama queen over it and getting their feelings hurt, so it's just traditional, that the first thread to be made, as long as it isn't absolute shit, is uncontested.

I mean yeah, yours is better, but cmon, we don't want drama.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,287 Posts
    This one is better and has more posts.

16. Post #16
    September 2008
    955 Posts
    Whens the npc better interaction update out? I might just buy this, though I am weary of paying unfinished games made by indie devs and those that get their stuff stolen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts
    Whens the npc better interaction update out? I might just buy this, though I am weary of paying unfinished games made by indie devs and those that get their stuff stolen.
    Next update should have significantly improved AI - probably not as good as I describe in the OP, which is what they're aiming for in the final game. They say they're close to releasing it but being honest you can't know if that's true.

There's no problem with waiting until the next update releases then buying the game, because the free version that's on Desura isn't that old. In fact it may actually be the same version as you currently get when pay for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #18
    THE MOON ... BEAU TIFUL
    June 2006
    1,143 Posts
    This thread is definitely better. We should use this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2010
    2,446 Posts

You did a wonderful job with the thread! Thank you for making it since I had to make it pretty quickly because I had to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts
    Two small updates from Lemmy:

First is, we can now chop down trees and use a saw to make planks:

Second is "A feature clue, in the form of a game reference!"

I have no idea what the feature is, though. But my guess is the little stars under certain items are perks and you'll be able to train yourself to learn new perks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,431 Posts
    Looks like levelling up, I remember the text in Oblivion.
    The stars are items durability.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    797 Posts
    For a sec I thought the update was out and someone uploaded screenshots of them playing but then I realize it's not.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts
    Looks like levelling up, I remember the text in Oblivion.
    The stars are items durability.
    maybe they're introducing stats like strength and speed (that can be levelled up as you progress)

Edited:

of course that would make it all the more painful when you eventually die
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I love Scandinavians and Ducks
    August 2007
    4,173 Posts
    The new secret is an expanded map, you can see it in the video. He runs down the high-street and it loads another area underneath him, he doesn't go there though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    September 2009
    3,717 Posts
    So, I'm about to head over to the TF2 subforum and empty out my inventory to get someone to buy this game for me, I have a question though, once I have the account info, will I be able to change the email associated with it and password and such to shed any connection with the person who brought it? Fanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts
    The new secret is an expanded map, you can see it in the video. He runs down the high-street and it loads another area underneath him, he doesn't go there though.
    that oblivion line couldn't be referencing that though, it wouldn't make any sense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2007
    2,253 Posts

I have no idea what the feature is, though. But my guess is the little stars under certain items are perks and you'll be able to train yourself to learn new perks?
    In the top left corner of the last picture is a text saying: "You should rest and meditate on what you've learnt."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    October 2010
    10,385 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    In the top left corner of the last picture is a text saying: "You should rest and meditate on what you've learnt."
    Gee thanks I thought the game reference was the stairs.

I need to try this game again. By again, I mean actually play it as opposed to watching other people's playthroughs.

30. Post #30
    April 2010
    2,446 Posts

Is your picture broken? I can see the picture if I take the link and open it in the browser but not on your post :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    September 2008
    1,149 Posts
    Seriously guys, nobody noticed the DIRT on the walls?
    Seems like houses will gradually start to get into worse shape/already are when you start to play :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    797 Posts
    I noticed them, looks pretty awesome.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts
    Seriously guys, nobody noticed the DIRT on the walls?
    Seems like houses will gradually start to get into worse shape/already are when you start to play :P
    I figured it was just a result of the better graphics/lighting, but it'd be cool if that was the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    December 2009
    5,000 Posts
    New thread smell!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts
    You can now build complete walls, doors, crates and windows allowing you to make forts and stuff:

and there may be a limitation:
    @lemmy101 posted:
    If rumours of a skill system were true, not saying they are, then crafting buildings would likely only be possible for carpentry pros.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

36. Post #36
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,715 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,636 Posts
    This is starting to get more unbelievably awesome! I can not imagine what the final product will have for us in the future!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts
    now I just hope we can bash a hole in the wall of existing buildings and build a friggin back door.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,636 Posts
    Now that would be sweet. Or even break the frame off a old doorway and build a wall there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,160 Posts
    Now that would be sweet. Or even break the frame off a old doorway and build a wall there?
    Then paint the outside of the wall to be similar to the rest of the house, and zombies won't know it's breakable, thinking it's just more wall
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)