1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,791 Posts
    Hey, I would like to try developing apps for my iPod Touch, but I hear it's difficult, but not impossible to do on Windows, and that the apps you make can only be run on a jailbroken device and also can't be submitted to the app store. Neither of those problems affect me because I'm jailbroken already, and I don't think the apps I'm going to try to make would even be release worthy.

The only programming language I know of is Java, and I've programmed in this language for the past 3 years now, and I'm willing to learn a new one if I have to.

However, I'm not going at this completely without researching this topic online, I've seen a couple of methods for doing this, one of which using a Virtual machine and emulating OSX, which I won't be able to do because my CPU doesn't support hardware virtualization, and the other was XML VM cross compiling java through their methods of stuff (seemed like it was something up my alley, most of the stuff that he said made sense to me).

I Saw a video that the team of XML VM had at a google tech talks or something like that, and he was showing all of the stuff done on a windows computer, as well as he said that it was only possible through a jail break, and yet the website is currently showing all the opposite. So this is my question to you guys:

How would I go about developing apps for my IPod touch on my Windows 7 computer, and in addition, is it even possible to use xml vm, Java, or any other way that isn't emulating OSX
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    March 2011
    261 Posts
    Develop applications on the Windows Phone 7, it's a great platform with a nice API where you can transfer all your games onto the Xbox 360 and PC as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,332 Posts
    Develop applications on the Windows Phone 7, it's a great platform with a nice API where you can transfer all your games onto the Xbox 360 and PC as well.
    This isn't what he asked. You're not being helpful.

OP, refer to this: http://maniacdev.com/2010/01/iphone-...ons-available/

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts
    You can try using Adobe Air, it works on iOS and uses the Actionscript 3 language which is fairly similar to Java I think. The benefit of this one is that you can also use it to make the app on Android and Playbook. Just don't expect anything too complex to run on it, it's fairly slow compared to native development.

You use Flash Builder to develop with it which has a 60 day free trial.

5. Post #5
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,814 Posts
    AFAIK there are a few engines that can be developed with in Windows 7 like Unity, but I'm pretty sure you'll need a Mac for anything else.

Worst comes to worst borrow a friend's OSX disc and set up a VM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

September 2011
    10 Posts
    There is, or at least was, a toolchain on a Ubuntu VM for developing. I think you can find a tutorial on the Cydia main page if you set your Cydia filter to "Developer".

Still, you need to use Objective-C. It would be hard to do this on Windows because Windows pretty much has no big build in support for the common C compiler. However, You can still try Cygwin or the other Unix emulation thingy on Windows.

Objective-C isn't so different from Java. Sun was also a Part of the group that extended Objective-C to become a new powerful language. They left the group to create Java. A lot of different elements just have another name in Objective-C. You can find stuff about that via Google. Good luck. I would still recommend you to buy a Mac for this or try to emulate it properly. Also, keep in mind that developing without a proper IDE is still a pain in the arse if you aren't one of the old master minds who developed stuff in vi.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,945 Posts
    http://www.stencyl.com/stencylworks/overview/

Stencyl Works

I have haven't gotten around to trying it yet but you can look into this. It's the only thing I know of that says it allows you to develop iOS games on Windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)