1. Post #1
    I notice there isn't a thread, so I thought I make one.

I'm pretty sure Feminism was a good thing during the early 20th century, because, at that time, they seem pretty oppressed, seeing as how not having schools for them was pretty mainstream, and so was the 'stay in the kitchen'. Plus, they couldn't vote, which I could see why they would want more rights. But today's feminist just seems like they want superiority over men, and that men is not doing enough to them and that kind of crap. Sure, some people still make the 'Get me a sandwich' in modern day, but they are jokes. They just couldn't seem to take them seriously.

I don't know about you guys, but I think its pretty dumb. Its sort of like treating 'women like queens'. In other words, helping women open the door and that kind of shit. Its even dumber when those ladies complain about how guys don't do those stuff for them. I'm pretty sure quite a number do this, but they are only doing this because they are doing it for some hot girl, even though they'll probably only get a simple compliment. But of course, there are still people doing it because they were bought up this way.

And then there's the whole 'YOU CAN'T HIT THE PERSON CAUSE THE PERSON IS A LADY' kind of thing. What, so if she's charging at me with a knife I'm supposed to let her do it? If some girl is trying attack you for no reason you can't hit back? Its just another of the dumb 'ladies first' things.

And not to forget, rape as well. I don't see how a some women thinks the men enjoys getting raped by a women, but when you change sexes its a horrible thing. And If some guy who is 18 years old have consensual sex with a 17 year old girl, the guy goes to jail because he 'raped' a underage girl.

Edited:

And If a girl starts to sexually harass some guy, its okay for them, but when it goes the other way round, they go 'NOOOO ITS NOT OKAY', and the guy goes the cops over sexual harassment.

The main problem is that modern feminism just wants to have even more rights. They want to be equal for both sexes, yet they are contradicting themselves.

2. Post #2
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,701 Posts
    if you believe that women should be able to vote, work at a job, and control when they have children, you are a feminist. Feminists are not exclusively nutjobs and radicals.

There are some people that think radical feminists are "all lesbians" because they "hate men so much" or something of the sort. Also not included in the stereotypical list is ugly, butch, bitchy, prone to temper tantrums and mood swings, etc.

There are more schools of feminism than I can name without having to spend an hour Googling and trying to get them all to agree on what feminism means is like trying to herd cats into a car wash.

That said, all of the modern young ones I've encountered are for equal treatment and equal opportunity. There's practically no one wanting to establish a matriarchy, and even then, it used to be rare and often regarded as extremism.

The dictionary definition of feminism is "the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men".

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,626 Posts
    I notice there isn't a thread, so I thought I make one.

I'm pretty sure Feminism was a good thing during the early 20th century, because, at that time, they seem pretty oppressed, seeing as how not having schools for them was pretty mainstream, and so was the 'stay in the kitchen'. Plus, they couldn't vote, which I could see why they would want more rights. But today's feminist just seems like they want superiority over men, and that men is not doing enough to them and that kind of crap.
    hi there. I've arrived to inform you, friend, that what you think are feminists are actually just caricatures of feminists who are played for laughs on shitty tv shows and in shitty jokes. if you take some time to actually read into modern feminism, I'm sure your mental image of them will change drastically.

this thread on the something awful forms has a large amount of great info to help explain why A. your image of what a feminist is is currently wrong and B. why the fight for women's rights is not over yet. please, please, please, just take a few minutes out of your day to read it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=3452508

Sure, some people still make the 'Get me a sandwich' in modern day, but they are jokes. They just couldn't seem to take them seriously.
    but they're jokes that rely upon sexism to work.

And then there's the whole 'YOU CAN'T HIT THE PERSON CAUSE THE PERSON IS A LADY' kind of thing. What, so if she's charging at me with a knife I'm supposed to let her do it? If some girl is trying attack you for no reason you can't hit back? Its just another of the dumb 'ladies first' things.
    sexism against women is responsible for this mentality though. the "you can't hit a women" thing is based on the >sexist< belief that women are weaker than men.

And not to forget, rape as well. I don't see how a some women thinks the men enjoys getting raped by a women, but when you change sexes its a horrible thing.
    that's because male-on-female rape is a very big issue which directly affects many, many more people than the reverse. not because the reverse (female-on-male rape) is any less terrible, it's merely because fewer people have had personal experiences which would make making light of the subject of female-on-male rape taboo.

And If some guy who is 18 years old have consensual sex with a 17 year old girl, the guy goes to jail because he 'raped' a underage girl.
    and a woman who does the reverse goes to jail too. women aren't exempt from statutory rape laws.

Edited:

And If a girl starts to sexually harass some guy, its okay for them, but when it goes the other way round, they go 'NOOOO ITS NOT OKAY', and the guy goes the cops over sexual harassment.
    maybe that's because women are more likely to be sexually victimized by men than the reverse? men sexually harassing women is more often treated as threatening because it more often is

Edited:

please, just check out the link and do a little reading so we can torpedo this thread before it goes bonkers and becomes the 55 page eternally cyclical clusterfuck that the thread on homosexuality is

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,633 Posts
    heres a great video which opened me up to some new sides of it all. Really worth the watch.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,626 Posts
    except "male disposability" can also be attributed to the patriarchy's view of women as the weaker sex: I.E. "male disposability" is one of the end-results of sexism against women; the view of women "needing to be protected" and thereby being exempt from, say, military service has it's roots in women being treated like property; the very first thing a man needed to "protect" his women from was other men seeking to displace him as the woman's sexual partner.

just one of the ways that the patriarchy hurts men and women alike

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    heres a great video which opened me up to some new sides of it all. Really worth the watch.

Her intelligence makes her attractive and I respect her a lot.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    869 Posts
    And not to forget, rape as well. I don't see how a some women thinks the men enjoys getting raped by a women, but when you change sexes its a horrible thing. And If some guy who is 18 years old have consensual sex with a 17 year old girl, the guy goes to jail because he 'raped' a underage girl.
    That isn't how it works in most states. Usually there is a small grace period protecting couples crossing the age of consent by a few years.

8. Post #8
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts

That is so, wow. Thank you. She's so smart :O

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,507 Posts
    I don't like the idea of either Feminism or Masculinism, although both can be justified in a situation where the right's of the sexes are extremely unequal.
    That said, I prefer to take a stance that basically says "Both groups have problems, and should be looked at equally". Whilst women still do probably have a lot more to overcome than men, you shouldn't ignore the problems that men currently face.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    thank fuck a good poster turned up. basically listen to everything this guy has to say.

11. Post #11
    December 2009
    4,846 Posts
    I don't know about you guys, but I think its pretty dumb. Its sort of like treating 'women like queens'. In other words, helping women open the door and that kind of shit.
    Well If you dont open doors for people then your just an arsehole, its common decency for you to hold a door open for someone whether they're a man or a women.

12. Post #12
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    Speaking of gender equality I noticed that socially we separate genders more then we have to. WHy have womens tennis and mens tennis when they are both just as good at it. Why have girls track and boys track when studies show that there is virtually no difference in males and females running speed.

13. Post #13
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Speaking of gender equality I noticed that socially we separate genders more then we have to. WHy have womens tennis and mens tennis when they are both just as good at it. Why have girls track and boys track when studies show that there is virtually no difference in males and females running speed.
    Because that simply is not true.
    For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_metres

The current men's world record is 9.58 seconds, set by Jamaica's Usain Bolt, while American Florence Griffith-Joyner holds the women's world record of 10.49 seconds.

14. Post #14
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    For example:

You can't use world records for something like that. You would have to use average. Something like a world record could be due to more male runners or something else. Not to mention track is usually more then 100 meters and involves more stamina then simply muscle like a hundred meter would. In fact in Ultra Marathon Running women tend to do better then men on average.

15. Post #15
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    There are many many different types of feminism that all greatly differ, which makes it extremely difficult to talk about feminism as a whole. There is of course some string that combines all of feminism together, but different groups have very different means and ends.

This thread on the something awful forms has a large amount of great info to help explain why A. your image of what a feminist is is currently wrong and B. why the fight for women's rights is not over yet. please, please, please, just take a few minutes out of your day to read it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=3452508
    Some interesting stuff in there, but there really needs to be more of an explanation of the economics behind the wealth statistics. The biggest issue is marriage and how the mother typically assumes responsibility for the child. For a while it has been the case that single unmarried women tend to make more than men. It mentions this in one of the statistics.

I think I could agree with the social goals laid out in that link you posted. It is my belief that everyone should be treated as individuals. I'm a bit lost with the "surprise sex" bit though. The term and the description is really throwing me off.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    I'm a bit lost with the "surprise sex" bit though. The term and the description is really throwing me off.
    That's the wordfilter on something awful for unregistered people. It turns the word 'rape' into 'surprise sex' amongst other things.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,507 Posts
    Pretty interesting video on payment differences between men and women, because I know that this will come up at some point.

18. Post #18
    July 2011
    112 Posts
    The definition of feminism can be interpreted in extremely many ways. In addition to that, there are several different kinds of feminism including more radical forms of it.

My conclusion is that feminism is an extremely vague word and I find it ridiculous how people go around and say they are feminists instead of just saying that they are in favor of gender equality. It's basically something people often say because they believe it makes them smart and "modern".

19. Post #19
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,787 Posts
    For example:

The way we treat the sexes is different from the time they're born. Men are trained to be more athletic and aggressive from their birth. Studies show that coaches for women's teams tend to go softer on them.
    The fact that two fully grown people from the opposite sexes, who have had life-long sex-specific conditioning, scored differently on a world record, only shows how sexist we are.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    Pretty interesting video on payment differences between men and women, because I know that this will come up at some point.
    All of those problems are being caused by gender inequality.

21. Post #21
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    All of those problems are being caused by gender inequality.
    I agree that men should take over/help with more household duty's and raising children, but you can't deny that vital parts of raising especially young children, women are far better suited for. There will always be some difference between men and women, as men can't give birth.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,141 Posts
    I agree that men should take over/help with more household duty's and raising children, but you can't deny that vital parts of raising especially young children, women are far better suited for. There will always be some difference between men and women, as men can't give birth.
    Yo please tell me exactly what elements that are somehow innate in them that make women better for raising kids.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    Women are only better suited because society conditions them to be.

24. Post #24
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Yo please tell me exactly what elements that are somehow innate in them that make women better for raising kids.
    Breastfeeding for starters.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,626 Posts
    I think I could agree with the social goals laid out in that link you posted. It is my belief that everyone should be treated as individuals. I'm a bit lost with the "surprise sex" bit though. The term and the description is really throwing me off.
    what? that phrase doesn't appear anywhere in that link

Edited:

if by "interesting" you mean "myopic" then yes, you're right.

this dude's completely oblivious to the fact that the "differences in the job choices men and women make" is still something that's attributable to sexism and prejudice.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts

if by "interesting" you mean "myopic" then yes, you're right.

this dude's completely oblivious to the fact that the "differences in the job choices men and women make" is still something that's attributable to sexism and prejudice.
    To be fair on the video maker he does kind of mention that at the end

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,626 Posts
    My conclusion is that feminism is an extremely vague word and I find it ridiculous how people go around and say they are feminists instead of just saying that they are in favor of gender equality.
    being a feminist and believing in gender equality are the same thing though. that's why people who believe in gender equality call themselves feminists. please please please, for the love of god just read the link i posted previously in this thread because it explains this shit.

It's basically something people often say because they believe it makes them smart and "modern".
    no no no "they're just trying to be hip" is a dumb thing to say about anyone.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    Yes and that is literally the only thing, most women of which don't even do so it makes virtually no difference in regards to who is better at raising children.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,626 Posts
    To be fair on the video maker he does kind of mention that at the end
    yeah but that's certainly not the part that the people who go spreading that video around are paying attention to

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    It's not really "for starters" when that is literally the sole example

Edited:

what? that phrase doesn't appear anywhere in that link

Edited:

yeah but that's certainly not the part that the people who go spreading that video around are paying attention to
    just because they're completely oblivious doesn't mean he is
    though i agree that i too groaned when he kept going on about "choices" without immediately dealing with the fact that in some cases they're not really choices at all

31. Post #31
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Yes and that is literally the only thing, most women of which don't even do so it makes virtually no difference in regards to who is better at raising children.
    They also have a stronger bond with the child, since the child is apart of them for the better part of a year.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    They also have a stronger bond with the child, since the child is apart of them for the better part of a year.
    The child isn't even conscious for most of that.

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    The child isn't even conscious for most of that.
    It's present more in the mother than the child, and either way the child is conscious for enough of it to develop a strong bond.

This is why twins are often so close, they form a very strong bond while sharing the uterus and that bond continues and strengthens through childhood.

Edited:

This is what happens when humans are connected to each other in very profound ways.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    i don't think this is true
    i love and loved both my parents, but as a smaller child i probably was closer to my father - not loads closer, but appreciably

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    i don't think this is true
    i love and loved both my parents, but as a smaller child i probably was closer to my father - not loads closer, but appreciably
    I'm talking coming right out of the uterus here, not the entire childhood.

Your childhood bonds are influenced by a load of different things, from gender to who you spend most time with.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,429 Posts

Oh great, now all the people on the fence who don't know what they're talking about are going to start saying that feminism is bullshit.

All this boils down to is another one of those lame arguments that feminism has done nothing but make us prefer women over men, which will make a feminist furious. It's not about preference, it's about equality and if you talk to a reasonable feminist, they'll tell you that there are idiots out there who call themselves "feminists" and give the movement a bad name.

Yes, we've traditionally put women's safety first, but the point is that they had no say in the matter. The fact that women usually take the safer roles and are given preference for survival does NOT make everything okay. Today, we've eased up on the gender roles a bit, but you've still got shit like rapists getting off easy because "she was asking for it" due to the way she dressed. Dismissing feminism as if women are only using it to take advantage of people is idiotic.

37. Post #37
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    You can't have absolute gender equality and chivalry. Pick one or the other

38. Post #38
    January 2010
    962 Posts
    You know, I have literally never heard a feminist list "ill-begotten and harmful chivalry customs" as scourge that the patriarchy causes. They only seem to bring it up in response to criticism of bias. In all other cases, they only care about things that uniquely oppress women. Not that that isn't something that needs to be addressed, but it's kind of hard to take the definition that feminists tout seriously while they behave like this.

39. Post #39
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    You can't have absolute gender equality and chivalry. Pick one or the other
    Who are you asking to choose?

40. Post #40
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    Who are you asking to choose?
    The women, naturally

Edited:

To clarify, either we maintain the status quote for women and keep chivalry, or we aggressively pursue absolute gender equality and disband chivalry