1. Post #1
    [h2] OP Is work in progress[/h2]
    TheIceMan posted:
    I looked back a lot of pages and noticed there is no official thread (at least not recent) that is dedicated to my favorite band of all time.

In here I will summarize the band from beginning to end, analyze each member and give those who haven't gotten the chance to listen to these gods the reason why they should listen, and how, because it isn't just finding a random Floyd song and press play.

-=HISTORY=-

Pink Floyd was founded officially in 1965 and compromised of 4 members, Syd Barrett, Richard Wright, Nick Mason and Roger Waters. Before that, Waters and Mason had been performing together under a variety of band names, but after Barrett and Wright joined, they were called Pink Floyd.
    They released their first single, Arnold Layne in 1967, and their debut album Piper at the gates of Dawn later that year.
    Lead guitarist David Gilmour joined the band for the release of their second album, A Saucerful of Secrets. The album was an instant hit, but it was the last Floyd album to feature Syd Barrett. Barrett left the band in 1968. He became mentally ill and spent the rest of his life out in the country.

Pink Floyd released loads of great albums, fx, Meddle, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and The Division Bell.
    Roger Waters however claimed ownership of the band when they made The Wall, and tensions rose when he wrote an entire album, The Final Cut, dedicated to his father, much to Gilmour's dismay. The Final Cut is considered by many to be Roger's first solo album. Roger left the band after the release of The Final Cut, and Gilmour assumed leadership of the band. Gilmour and Mason together made the album Momentary Lapse of Reason, the first album without Waters. Wright was not a part of the official lineup of the album.
    Before dissolving, Pink Floyd, comprised of Gilmour, Mason and Wright, recorded their final album, The Division Bell.
    However, in 2005, the four bandmembers reunited for one show.

-=MEMBERS=-

SYD BARRETT

Lead singer and guitarist from 1965-1968 before being replaced by Gilmour due to differences in the band. After he left the band recorded many songs and albums about Barrett, including Wish You Were Here, The Wall (Pink's insanity is mirrored to Barrett's insanity), The Dark Side of the Moon, and many songs, most known is Shine On You Crazy Diamond from Wish You Were Here.
    Barrett mainly played Fender guitars.

DAVID GILMOUR

Gilmour replaced Barrett in 1968 and became lead guitarist and singer. He and Waters suffered differences with each other, and after Waters left the band in 1983, Gilmour wanted to write an album as an "in-your-face" to Waters.
    Gilmour favored Fender Stratocasters.

NICK MASON

Nick Mason was Pink Floyd's drummer from 1965-1994.

RICHARD WRIGHT

Richard Wright was Pink Floyd's keyboardist and backing vocalist.

Roger Waters

Roger was Pink Floyd's leader, bassist and primary songwriter for most of his tenure in the band. He left the band in 1983 after massive differences with Gilmour.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T LISTENED TO FLOYD
    Never listened to Floyd have you? Well now would be a perfect time to start!
    If you're gonna listen to Floyd you kind of have to do it right. Some people are able to listen to song and song, but to catch the real essence and power of their songs, you have to listen to each individual album.
    [
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,777 Posts
    urgh the same OP for 3 threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    I would write a better one but i'm lazy and evil. I'll probably update it when i can be arsed.

Edited:

Also, i swear to god last night i met someone on TF2 who said that "The Wall is shit because its a ripoff of Dark Side Of The Moon, since Sidd Burke died after writing Dark Side and the band couldnt complete his success"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,879 Posts

Also, i swear to god last night i met someone on TF2 who said that "The Wall is shit because its a ripoff of Dark Side Of The Moon, since Sidd Burke died after writing Dark Side and the band couldnt complete his success"
    Ok, we get it. You get pissed off all the time when people are misinformed about the band.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,021 Posts
    I would write a better one but i'm lazy and evil. I'll probably update it when i can be arsed.

Edited:

You are like the easiest person to troll I have ever met.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    You are like the easiest person to troll I have ever met.
    I've killed a man for misspelling my name before.

Edited:

Ok, we get it. You get pissed off all the time when people are misinformed about the band.
    No. When people are misinformed in general and refuse to admit it. If you're gonna criticize something. Do your research.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,021 Posts
    I've killed a man for misspelling my name before.
    That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,796 Posts
    [h2]HOW DARE YOU NOT INCLUDE MY FAVOURITE FLOYD SONG WHICH YOU SO KINDLY NAMED V3 AFTER!!![/h2]

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2008
    1,742 Posts
    I started to listening to The Final Cut a couple of days ago, this song is amazing:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,777 Posts
    final cut will always be a bit meh and unmemorable for me. I may or may not listen to more of it in the future.

It's not due to it being a Roger album either. It's just not very interesting to hear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    677 Posts
    Yeah, honestly, "The Final Cut" is my second favorite Floyd album behind "The Wall". I guess that kind of makes sense though, since the two are unofficially deemed companion pieces. I just feel like there's a ton of emotion in each track and Gilmour's solos(what few that he had) are some of the best in the band's history.

^^For me, I have to give the 'meh' treatment to "Ummagumma". Besides Careful With That Axe Eugene and Astronomy Domine, I just can't sit through it all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,777 Posts
    agree to disagree I guess, but I'm just seeking out what they're expressing.

Same with movies, it only moves you if the emotion feels true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I really like the Final Cut but i can't always listen to it(aside from Not Now John), because of how depressing and nihilistic it sounds.

Edited:

I mean the running theme of DSOTM is that "You can't escape evil, all good (light) sides have a bad(dark), But i'm in this too, in the same boat with you.", And while The Wall is depressive, it doesn't SOUND depressing.

The one good thing in the otherwise forgettable Video LP of The Final Cut is a jolly Hitler jogging past a mirror while waving.

Edited:

What i do HIGHLY reccomend is, If you like Final Cut, you find the soundtrack to When The Wind Blows, it features two songs by Roger which have an almost identical theme to The Final Cut.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #14
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    I need to listen to The Final Cut again. It's been such a long time the album is almost foreign to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #15
    February 2010
    1,185 Posts
    Just bought the Division Bell. It's the blue unofficial one, but it looks cool. I just need Ummagumma, Saucerful and More now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Here have the alternate version of Have A Cigar

I like this just as much as the album version tbh.

17. Post #17
    January 2012
    339 Posts
    final cut will always be a bit meh and unmemorable for me. I may or may not listen to more of it in the future.

It's not due to it being a Roger album either. It's just not very interesting to hear.
    I start it from the 2nd half. I have the vinyl aswell so when I get that cracking I'm not going to bother playing side A or flipping it or anything.

Edited:

Here have the alternate version of Have A Cigar

I like this just as much as the album version tbh.
    At first I honestly thought Roger did vocals on the original anyways. Roger should have sung as close to Roy as possible and he would have pulled it off. (Apparently, Roger wasn't satisfied that he didn't have the final take)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,879 Posts
    At first I honestly thought Roger did vocals on the original
    That's funny because Roger was a little ticked that Harper sounded a bit like Gilmour (which he doesn't :raise:).

19. Post #19
    January 2012
    339 Posts
    That's funny because Roger was a little ticked that Harper sounded a bit like Gilmour (which he doesn't :raise:).
    I don't believe this. Sounds nothing alike.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,652 Posts
    I don't believe this. Sounds nothing alike.
    So you were at the perth show then what kind of tickets did you have :3:
    The fireworks at Burswood Were for Chinese new year

Edited:

God damn i want to see the show again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #21
    January 2012
    339 Posts
    So you were at the perth show then what kind of tickets did you have :3:

Edited:

God damn i want to see the show again
    I got silver. You?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,740 Posts
    I've only listened to The Wall completely in one sitting about two times before, but I'm in the mood so I'm doing it.

I'm at Mother so far.

Edited:

20 to go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,652 Posts
    I got silver. You?
    Gold But it was to the side of the stage on the right side not the bedroom side was still brilliant though

Edited:

Chick next to me had been both nights i went the 2nd night
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

24. Post #24
    I doubt that, But then again Roger is a control freak so.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,777 Posts
    Just bought the Division Bell. It's the blue unofficial one, but it looks cool.
    I read this and can't remember why I didn't post.

The original vinyl release was only on blue vinyl.

Edited:

I've only listened to The Wall completely in one sitting about two times before, but I'm in the mood so I'm doing it.

I'm at Mother so far.

Edited:

20 to go
    That's only a double album... try triple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #26
    Anyone else reckon you could set Your Possible Pasts to scenes from Mother and it would fit fine?

27. Post #27
    May 2011
    3,864 Posts
    I got silver. You?
    gold, and 3rd row to the right of the middle, could see every line and expression on Roger's face :smug:

Edited:

I was wondering about them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

28. Post #28
    Well it's official, I am ordering DSOTM: Experience edition tomorrow morning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    September 2009
    4,394 Posts
    I find the lack of Sheep disturbing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    June 2008
    4,659 Posts
    new thread? i guess the monthly thread lock is coming into pace.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,032 Posts
    I find the lack of Sheep disturbing.

Oh, anyone seen this yet?

32. Post #32
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,818 Posts
    How many of you have experienced The Wizard of Floyd? (AKA Dark Side of Oz, AKA Dark Side Of The Rainbow)

I'm about to do it again because I just remembered about it.

Edited:

How many of you have experienced The Wizard of Floyd? (AKA Dark Side of Oz, AKA Dark Side Of The Rainbow)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    677 Posts

Edited:

I haven't myself, but I'm curious to see just how well everything fits into place. From what I've heard though, it seems like people are really grasping when it comes to correlating scenes with the album.

I once saw a video on youtube that was a recording of a 1974 concert (Dark Side of the Moon). However, instead of showing the band, it was all visualizations......you know, like the videos the Floyd would play behind them in concerts? It was cool as hell, especially the visualization for "On the Run"...made me dizzy though lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,879 Posts

Edited:

My favorite part about that would have to be when Us & Them first comes on.

Edited:

'And who knows which is Witch and who is who." :)

35. Post #35
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,818 Posts
    My favorite part about that would have to be when Us & Them first comes on.

Edited:

'And who knows which is Witch and who is who." :)

Adding on to this, the ones that I remember were

"Dig that hole!"

and the first playing of Brain Damage

(As well as "See you on the dark side of the moon")

36. Post #36
    February 2010
    1,185 Posts
    I read this and can't remember why I didn't post.

The original vinyl release was only on blue vinyl.
    It was something like this:
    http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Pin...260?ev=bp_titl

But it says Unofficial Release in the title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37

Holy fucking SHIT. i hope that is like the beginning of a run of ads, i'd love to see an up to date(or at least more satisfying and longer) Run Like Hell scene, since the movie one is drastically short.

38. Post #38
    May 2011
    3,864 Posts

Probably new advertising for Why Pink Floyd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    4,710 Posts
    it...

is

it's for the remasters you punks

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,796 Posts
    It's for The Wall Immersion box set which is coming out in a couple weeks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events