1. Post #1
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts

Only Facepunch could take something like SW:TOR and make it look this stupid.

DO NOT POST UNBLACKED SPOILERS, THIS MEANS CLASS STORY, COMPANION STORY AND FLASHPOINTS

Welcome to the official SW:TOR thread!

Looking to start a character, but don't know where to play? Want to add your name to our player list? Here's our current list of players:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Up4/edit?pli=1

WHAT IS STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC?

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a story-driven MMO set in the Star Wars galaxy. The game takes place 300 years after the events of the Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the films. The galaxy is on the brink of war, and its fruition has only been stopped temporarily by the Treaty of Coruscant. In the game, you create your own hero based on the classic Star Wars roles, including Jedi Knights, Sith Lords, Bounty Hunters, Smugglers, and more. The involvement of your hero in this struggle will gradually unfold as you play, while you simultaneously take part in your hero's personal quest line. Your decisions will determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force, and ultimately how your story will end. Whether you play with your friends or people you meet for the first time in-game, you choose how your destiny unfolds.

WHO/WHAT/WHERE CAN I PLAY?

When making a character, you have two faction choices: Empire and Republic.

Galactic Republic:

Trooper
    Smuggler
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Consular

Sith Empire:

Bounty Hunter
    Imperial Agent
    Sith Warrior
    Sith Inquisitor

Factions share planets and world quests, and each class has a unique "Class Quest", which is essentially a single player story arc for your character. However, the four classes for each faction "mirror" the other, in abilities. For example, the Sith Inquisitor is a "mirror" of the Jedi Consular, as their advanced classes and abilities are the same, just with different visuals. Class Quests are not mirrored.

WHY SHOULD I PLAY THIS OVER WARCRAFT OR ANY OTHER MMO?

Star Wars: The Old Republic has a number of things in common with WoW and other MMOs, mostly for convenience, quality of life, or to help new players adjust. The biggest change SW:TOR brings to the field is story and personal character progression:

- It's the first MMO ever with fully voiced, fully animated cutscenes. Every conversation is voiced (including unimportant NPCs) and almost every conversation is a cutscene (excluding unimportant NPCs). This may seem like a gimmick at first, but it's definitely a change of pace from other MMOs. Instead of clicking through quest boxes, you're immersed in what's going on, and there's hardly ever a moment where you're completely clueless as to what's going on. Some characters you'll come to love, while others you'll detest. When it came to MMOs, none of that had ever really been a factor before. It's a huge selling point, and it makes rolling new characters much more enjoyable.

- SW:TOR has a conversation wheel, which allows you to control the progression of a conversation. Your decision might lead to a black and white outcome, but often times there's more nuance than that. Every choice is voiced by your character, unlike the silent protagonists from KOTOR. If you're in a group, each player rolls for a conversation choice. The highest roll is the one who speaks.

- Each class has a unique story, which progresses as you explore and level up. They're all designed to be completed alone, so you'll never need a group for your personal quest. Your personal quest may mingle what's happening around you (like the war) but for the most part, it's a story of its own.

- Expansion/Closure for the KOTOR story arc. If you liked the original KOTOR games, and you were hoping for KOTOR 3, you might want to play this. Almost all of the loose ends from KOTOR are tied up in SW:TOR, across both factions. Some characters return, while others live on through their ancestors. For example, Satele Shan, the current Grand Master of the Jedi Order, is a descendant of Bastila Shan from the original KOTOR.

THE ART STYLE IS REALLY STUPID, WHY SHOULD I BOTHER?

BioWare chose a more stylized approach for character design in SW:TOR. It's not impossible to make a cool character. It is possible to make a completely lame character, if that's what you want. There are some odd NPC designs in the game, but those aren't very common. The environment art however is almost always fantastic. Classic worlds like Tatooine feel like they did in the movies, while newer worlds like Ilum feel fresh and unique. Each world has its own flavor. So, while you might see the occasional tubby Sith Lord named Bubbafatte running around on your planet, that's not really going to make or break the game.

SAW SOME VIDEO WITH SOME BUG OR SOMETHING, ARE THESE STUPID THINGS FIXED? THEY LOOKED AWFUL.

A lot of the "TORTanic" videos on Youtube are old beta videos or release videos. Those bugs were fixed a long time ago. There are still a few bugs in the end game content, but most of those will be receiving fixes in 1.2, the next content update (coming out in April). BioWare has recently devoted an entire team to fixing bugs in endgame content.

HOW MUCH DOES THE GAME COST? DO I HAVE TO USE SHITTY ORIGIN? CAN I USE GOOD OL' STEAM INSTEAD

Current prices:

Base Game (Standard Edition - Digital Download): $59.99 (44.99 / €54.99)
    1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (8.99 / €12.99)
    3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97 / 25.17 / €35.97)
    6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94 / 46.14 / €65.94)
    You have to use Origin to purchase the game, and to download the launcher. You don't have to use it to play. You can't buy the game on Steam, and at the moment you have to use a work around to get the overlay working.

Here's one:

http://www.teambps.net.au/Noth/Star ...d Republic.exe

Place in same folder as launcher.exe, setup Steam shortcut to downloaded exe
    Here's another if you don't like downloading and using random .exes:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=94152

DING DONG BANNU!!!!!! LOOK OUT, THERE GOES TORTANIC

shaddup

Useful Links:
    Loot List for HM Flashpoints.
    Loot List for Operations.
    Guides for finding Datacrons.
    Torhead, databases, skill calculators, etc
    Darthhater.com, useful news about The Old Republic
    Community Manager Stephen Reid's twitter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,962 Posts
    I can see this new megathread every month being really annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
    I can see this new megathread every month being really annoying.
    i agree 100%

Edited:

also @pinut you said the splash damage from the fabricator's random lock-on attacks wasn't that bad?
    Well they changed most of the bosses in 1.1.1 and on hardmode it was doing about 5k damage to everyone who was around the person who got locked onto.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    snip because you guys cant take a joke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    Buy Some Apples
    April 2008
    8,899 Posts
    Now it's down to 179 people. It's been this dead all day too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

6. Post #6
    Bold Member
    October 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Now it's down to 179 people. It's been this dead all day too.
    I quit a server I was on, level 45 because it was so dead. :( I rolled a new character on the server reddit plays on.

7. Post #7
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    snip

8. Post #8
    April 2007
    1,133 Posts
    If your looking to play Republic I recommend you guys roll on Infinite Empire there are some really good republics players i go against but their population need some more numbers it starting to balance out.

9. Post #9
    June 2011
    8,369 Posts
    There's literally no reason to play Republic.

Empire gets
    1. Instant abilities - Almost zero delay, nearly all of the Republic abilities have a very noticeable delay, especially on the Consulars and Troopers

2. Better stories - The Trooper story is bland and boring, the Smuggler story is only worth going through because of the hilarious responses, the Jedi Consular is the perfect sleeping pill, and Jedi Knights are the only one with an interesting story, and it doesn't start picking up until late in the game

3. Significantly better looking fleet - The Republic fleet looks like a run down garage

4. Better leveling worlds - Once you leave Corscant you're basically walking into hell, Taris and everything is boring and the quests are spread out, a lot of the empire quests are closer together and require less shit to deal with, this is the most noticeable on Tatooine and Taris

5. Datacron are much easier to access, You literally walk up to most of the Empire only datacrons, hell you take a damn taxi to one of them

6. We don't look retarded - Jedi Knights: Gay Tron Samurai (PVP) & steam-punk stereotypical Jedi robes (PVE) Jedi Consular: Hobo in rags (PVP) & Wedding dress (PVE) Smuggler: Gay cowboy, no variety (PVP/PVE) Trooper: Tons of variety, looks like troopers from Episode II & III, only decent looking republic gear

7. There's plenty of people to play with - Almost every server has a healthy and active Empire population, on servers like the Fatman and Port Nowhere finding a group for Operations, PVP, and Flashpoints is as easy as looking at general chat, from what I've heard from my friends it's this easy on other servers as Empire too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts

Empire gets
    1. Instant abilities - Almost zero delay, nearly all of the Republic abilities have a very noticeable delay, especially on the Consulars and Troopers

2. Better stories - The Trooper story is bland and boring, the Smuggler story is only worth going through because of the hilarious responses, the Jedi Consular is the perfect sleeping pill, and Jedi Knights are the only one with an interesting story, and it doesn't start picking up until late in the game

3. Significantly better looking fleet - The Republic fleet looks like a run down garage

4. Better leveling worlds - Once you leave Corscant you're basically walking into hell, Taris and everything is boring and the quests are spread out, a lot of the empire quests are closer together and require less shit to deal with, this is the most noticeable on Tatooine and Taris

5. Datacron are much easier to access, You literally walk up to most of the Empire only datacrons, hell you take a damn taxi to one of them

6. We don't look retarded - Jedi Knights: Gay Tron Samurai (PVP) & steam-punk stereotypical Jedi robes (PVE) Jedi Consular: Hobo in rags (PVP) & Wedding dress (PVE) Smuggler: Gay cowboy, no variety (PVP/PVE) Trooper: Tons of variety, looks like troopers from Episode II & III, only decent looking republic gear

7. There's plenty of people to play with - Almost every server has a healthy and active Empire population, on servers like the Fatman and Port Nowhere finding a group for Operations, PVP, and Flashpoints is as easy as looking at general chat, from what I've heard from my friends it's this easy on other servers as Empire too
    It all just comes down to personal preference. I know somebody who doesn't like empire because they're evil and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2011
    8,369 Posts
    It all just comes down to personal preference. I know somebody who doesn't like empire because they're evil and stuff.
    The majority disagrees.

You don't have to be evil while playing the Empire anyway, the game isn't 100% black and white.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,120 Posts
    RIP Electric Boogaloo we hardly knew ye.

Edited:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ele...lts-2012-02-01
    2Mil units sold, 1.7Mil active subs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2011
    8,369 Posts
    RIP Electric Boogaloo we hardly knew ye.

Edited:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ele...lts-2012-02-01
    2Mil units sold, 1.7Mil active subs.
    1.7 million active subs? And people kept saying the game was going to flop hardcore, it's retained almost all of it's players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,628 Posts
    yeah republic sucks ass at the moment, i think the highest amount of players i've seen on any planet/instance so far is 25 on the republic fleet...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,376 Posts

Empire gets

Disagree with 3, 4, and 6.

The fleets look the same to me, Republic leveling (atleast in beta) was better, and Operative/Sorc gear looks mighty dumb from what I've seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,707 Posts
    If your looking to play Republic I recommend you guys roll on Infinite Empire there are some really good republics players i go against but their population need some more numbers it starting to balance out.
    You're on Inf Emp too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

17. Post #17
    June 2011
    8,369 Posts
    Disagree with 3, 4, and 6.

The fleets look the same to me, Republic leveling (atleast in beta) was better, and Operative/Sorc gear looks mighty dumb from what I've seen.
    Yeah the Operative/Sorc gear looks kinda rough and some of it looks downright bad, but the JK and Smuggler gear is just painful to look at (mostly), there is zero variety for smugglers and the JK PVP gear has nothing to do with star wars, or anything.

I do kind of like the PVE gear for Jedi Knights though.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,705 Posts
    I don't know what people expected from a trooper story though. Although trooper one does end really badly and abrupt. At least JK actually had an end somewhat.

Edited:

also @pinut you said the splash damage from the fabricator's random lock-on attacks wasn't that bad?
    Well they changed most of the bosses in 1.1.1 and on hardmode it was doing about 5k damage to everyone who was around the person who got locked onto.
    5k still isn't a great deal really, a third of someones health if they're not really geared that great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #19
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
    I don't know what people expected from a trooper story though. Although trooper one does end really badly and abrupt. At least JK actually had an end somewhat.

Edited:

5k still isn't a great deal really, a third of someones health if they're not really geared that great.
    yea but the boss also hits for 12k
    so if you got an idiot melee dps standing next to the tank as he gets hit for 12k and thne loses another 5k if you do the math he just lost 17k hp and say he had around 21k health he's pretty clsoe to getting knocked out then and there

20. Post #20
    April 2007
    1,133 Posts
    You're on Inf Emp too?
    Yep my main is Ross almost full columni geared sniper with rataka offhand, so many fucking sith warrior rataka drops jesus... and my alt is Bross almost full epic PT tank

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,707 Posts
    Yep my main is Ross almost full columni geared sniper with rataka offhand, so many fucking sith warrior rataka drops jesus... and my alt is Bross almost full epic PT tank
    Mine are Sixen (36 Jugg) and Noth (41 Sniper)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,376 Posts
    I want a Sith Assassin tank but don't want to level.

What do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,139 Posts
    I think the operations group I was just with was the worst one I've ever been apart of. One of the fucking healers forgot to repair his gear...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,707 Posts
    I want a Sith Assassin tank but don't want to level.

What do
    You deal with it and level, or you don't get a Sith Assassin tank.

25. Post #25
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
    I think the operations group I was just with was the worst one I've ever been apart of. One of the fucking healers forgot to repair his gear...
    the A-team on the guild is deifnitely the best of the server though
    we've got ordo, heelar, bench, all grade a++ players
    guildmaster told me he wanted to heal for the good group and made go to the shit group lol

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,139 Posts
    the A-team on the guild is deifnitely the best of the server though
    we've got ordo, heelar, bench, all grade a++ players
    guildmaster told me he wanted to heal for the good group and made go to the shit group lol
    No offense but the shit group is the worst group I've ever raided with. I would've rather suicided against the force ghost on Ilum rather than fight with them again.

Also who the fuck goes "We can't kill Karagga on normal so lets go to EV hard mode." Yeah you're going to do so much better when you couldn't even get Karagga down to 50%.

27. Post #27
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
    No offense but the shit group is the worst group I've ever raided with. I would've rather suicided against the force ghost on Ilum rather than fight with them again.

Also who the fuck goes "We can't kill Karagga on normal so lets go to EV hard mode." Yeah you're going to do so much better when you couldn't even get Karagga down to 50%.
    alec and ducky are probably the only competent people who were in that group with us
    probably wasn't smart to do what we did but yeah the dps wasn't doing the dps man, i can say that despite the other healer being dreadful he wasn't the reason we couldn't suceed

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,139 Posts
    alec and ducky are probably the only competent people who were in that group with us
    Alec was a saint and ducky was good. The second healer annoyed the fuck out of me. We tell him to move when the droid does his STORM and he stands there for five fucking seconds than moves going "I WAS MOVING". No you weren't you goddamn idiot, you were sitting there trying to finish that cast, we told you to stop the cast if he casts his storm shit.

29. Post #29
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
    Alec was a saint and ducky was good. The second healer annoyed the fuck out of me. We tell him to move when the droid does his STORM and he stands there for five fucking seconds than moves going "I WAS MOVING". No you weren't you goddamn idiot, you were sitting there trying to finish that cast, we told you to stop the cast if he casts his storm shit.
    don't forget "he didn't say the thing"
    I didn't have the heart to tell him he was awful, around the time where he didn't realize I was trying to organize healing with him was when I was losing patience.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,139 Posts
    I was losing patience with the entire group when I had to explain how the two healers actually have a specific group of people to heal and they're only supposed to heal outside when the other healer needs help. Also when that one guy said he was full lightning I tried not to cry inside, full lightning spec is horrible in raids.

31. Post #31
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
    I was losing patience with the entire group when I had to explain how the two healers actually have a specific group of people to heal and they're only supposed to heal outside when the other healer needs help. Also when that one guy said he was full lightning I tried not to cry inside, full lightning spec is horrible in raids.
    im gonna go out on the limb and say the other healer respecced to healing recently and had no idea what he was doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    What the fuck are you guys talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,139 Posts
    What the fuck are you guys talking about?
    We're bitching about how we both managed to get into easily the worst raid group ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts

There was this one scene where me and mako point our guns at somebody in an extremely serious situation, which is when I first noticed shes been holding it like a retard for a while now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,376 Posts
    Uh.
    Your back is on fire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts

There was this one scene where me and mako point our guns at somebody in an extremely serious situation, which is when I first noticed shes been holding it like a retard for a while now.
    Could've sworn I saw that on reddit a few hours ago.

37. Post #37

I forgot what pistol it was, and I went around with it in PvP with my Bounty hunter.. I held two of them like a fucking retard and got so much shit for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Buy Some Apples
    April 2008
    8,899 Posts
    Uh.
    Your back is on fire.
    That was his plan all along.
    It backfired though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    Buy Some Apples
    April 2008
    8,899 Posts
    It was 49 people on republic faction earlier today.
    On the whole server...
    49... people.......
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,705 Posts
    server is pretty much on a decline from what can see.

even pvp queues on the server I'm on are virtually pointless now as almost every republic is retarded and takes 10 hours of queues for 3 wins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events