1. Post #1
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts
    Welcome to the guitar thread. New month. New thread. Everything related to guitar and bass guitar goes here to not clutter up our poor music section.

Here's my stuff:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2009
    478 Posts
    I just got a DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion and a DiMarzio PAF DP-103 36th Anniversary for my Fender Special Edition Jaguar HH, thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    i may prefer my fender jazz but this Ibanex SRX430 my brother gave me after ppacking up playing is pretty cool. It's got those big fat pickups I like the look of so much, and it looks great in white with a black pickguard

4. Post #4
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts
    I just got a DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion and a DiMarzio PAF DP-103 36th Anniversary for my Fender Special Edition Jaguar HH, thoughts?
    I use DiMarzio PAF-7's and I think they sound unbelieveable

I know a few people with the DiMarzio DP100 super distortions and they love them.

DiMarzio has always been my choice pick anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Iceland Show Events

5. Post #5
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    Put a DP100 into my Sterling last night, but I messed something up because it sounds like a single coil at the moment haha. The pickup was in another guitar, and the wiring was a mess, so I am guessing a wire is in contact with another wire that it's not supposed to be. I think they might be out of phase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,517 Posts
    So I'm looking for a bass. Something I can gig with but I won't break the bank. Doesn't have to sound fucking incredible, i'll be playing pop to agressive pop punk stuff mostly. Anyway, a quick search found these two things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bass-guita...#ht_500wt_1413

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ca...ry-item-full-3

Sent off emails asking about both. Thoughts?

7. Post #7
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    I don't recognize that Bass, but judging from the price tag alone, it's probably complete shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Johnson's are utter pieces of shit.

YMMV but you do get what you pay for. Carlsbro's aren't too bad amps in my experience, but I wouldn't expect much from the bass, regardless of the fluff in the description

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,517 Posts
    OK fuck the bass then. I can trust carlsboros. They always sound decent. Quite annoyed that I found one that I'd used before and know well was for sale for like 45 but is about 200 miles away. Back on the hunt.

10. Post #10
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,015 Posts
    I looked at the other listings on gumtree for your location, there's an Aria for 140 and Aria are pretty respectable.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ar...nning/95631765
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Ugh, I need to buy pickup covers again.

I know I'm the only guy who thought triple shots were a good idea, but they're crap. The switches wear out real easily and installing them is a cunt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #12
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,654 Posts
    well the super distortion is the best pickup ever made so you've done well

Edited:

though mine is kind of on the noisy side but it adds character I guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,517 Posts
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/la...s-amp/95749839

Think I might go for this amp, I've played one before and remember it being good. DI output, always good.

Back on a bass hunt.

14. Post #14
    October 2009
    146 Posts
    For some reason whenever I touch the strings on my bass, I feel a little bit of electric shock... any idea on what's causing this/how to stop it?

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,517 Posts
    There are quite a few mexican jazz's on ebay, some quite low prices. I've played one, really enjoyed it. Any else used one?

16. Post #16
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,834 Posts
    I gig a Mexican jazz as my secondary bass. It's great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #17
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Ugh, I need to buy pickup covers again.

I know I'm the only guy who thought triple shots were a good idea, but they're crap. The switches wear out real easily and installing them is a cunt.
    The Triple Shot is a good idea in theory. I suppose being the first of it's kind there's gonna be some teething problems but it is an interesting concept. On saying that I'd much rather have an obvious if slightly unsightly switch on the main portion of my guitar I guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #18
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    For some reason whenever I touch the strings on my bass, I feel a little bit of electric shock... any idea on what's causing this/how to stop it?
    Could be some wiring problem inside, the grounds I think.

Check what your amp is plugged into, and if the cable is good. It can be somewhat dangerous. I'm not a electrical wizard, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,308 Posts
    Might be something wrong with your amp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #20
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,834 Posts
    You may also just generate a lot of static for some reason and are discharging yourself through your bass's ground?

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    The Triple Shot is a good idea in theory. I suppose being the first of it's kind there's gonna be some teething problems but it is an interesting concept. On saying that I'd much rather have an obvious if slightly unsightly switch on the main portion of my guitar I guess
    Hah.

I'm just feeling kinda shit about this because it's more money into a guitar when, if I knew better in advance, I could have avoided what I've done to it in the interim and bought a new guitar with the money saved.

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Everybody makes mistakes. I blew nearly 600 on the entirely wrong amp for me. Ended up flipping it a year later for half that. Look on it as an investment in knowledge :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,506 Posts
    open that shit up

24. Post #24
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    June 2005
    12,654 Posts
    I fucking hate gibson but goddamn I love everything about this guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

and it's on sale

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,308 Posts
    That's a Gibson even I would like.

Thank god I have no money

Talking about Gibsons I like:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    May 2011
    3,905 Posts
    do you guys prefer thicker necks or thinner necks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    18,026 Posts
    I prefer thick necks when the neck is narrow and the other way around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

29. Post #29
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,015 Posts
    I fucking hate gibson but goddamn I love everything about this guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

and it's on sale
    that's a cheapo gibson as well, low low price of $400 for a starter gibson!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I like both, but there good thin necks and bad thin necks, and the same for thick ones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

31. Post #31
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,534 Posts
    Thick necks! The huge C cut is where it's at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

32. Post #32
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Thin necks are so much easier to play technical shit on imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    October 2009
    146 Posts
    I fixed my shocking problem by sitting down with my bass amp and telling it my feelings.

(actually... I kicked it a few times and wiggled the chord on the back until it got it's shit together)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    thin necks just hurt my wrist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    I'd love to order the amber one with a tailpiece (currently only a blue one available) and with some warranty attached. I want to live in the US.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Joining music forum with this post. I got a Stagg knockoff strat that's pretty awesome for 200 bucks and a line 6 spider 15 amp. Also, C necks are my favorite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,052 Posts
    God damn it. Tosin Abasi announced an Australian clinic tour, and initially announced an Adelaide date. Now Ibanez have posted the official schedule and suddenly Adelaide is gone. No explanation either.
    Why does everyone have to insist that Adelaide does not exist and its inhabitants are far less important than the rest of Australia?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

38. Post #38
    June 2005
    12,654 Posts
    that's a cheapo gibson as well, low low price of $400 for a starter gibson!
    with an MSRP of $829

I don't care how ignorant I may be where do they get the idea they can charge what they do

Edited:

my rg and destroyer are 19mm at the 1st fret and 21mm at the 12th and my as103 is 20mm at the 1st and 26.5mm at the 12th

I like both for different reasons but I think if I could have one that was like 23 the entire length would be cool

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    with an MSRP of $829

I don't care how ignorant I may be where do they get the idea they can charge what they do
    Collectors overvalued everything, since more buyers than just musicians creates more demand than was originally reasonable. That combined with price stickiness and the fact that you can always mark stuff down at retail made it permanent. When you're selling shit that's overpriced by magnitudes you need to inflate stated prices to at least give the product a semblance of being a "deal", that's where that originally comes from, and it's easier to keep a consistent brand image as being high-end if you keep that practice up across the board. That's why you have a separate brand for the reasonably priced stuff.

Guns are the same way, actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    Thinking of buying a bass guitar, never played the guitar before, zero experience. What do you guys think of this?