1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,513 Posts

(copied wholesale from the previous OP for the time being)

Name: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Release Date: November 11, 2011
    Platforms: PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Developer: Bethesda Softworks

Skyrim is the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls series, and follows the adventures of the player who discovers he/she was born with the soul of a dragon. The Dragonborn, or Dovahkiin (as it is said in the language of dragons) must face a series of challenges and do everything in their power to prevent the return of the dragon Alduin. Dragons may be killed (MUST, it actually gets annoying fast) in order to gain their powers. It's not without its flaws, but it's still one of the best games ever made.

If you weren't fond of the previous games in the series (What's wrong with you) you might still like Skyrim. It improves upon Oblivion dramatically, perhaps most noticeably in the appearance of characters.

e.g.

---->
    ---->

Map:

Trailer:

Live Action Trailer:

Gameplay video:

Machinima video

What I (we) think of your stupid memes here:

Why you should experiment with the console sometime:

Dovahkiin's disastrous entry into the Bard's College of Solitude singing contest.

System Requirements/Recommended Hardware:

Recommended Specs:
    Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
    Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
    4GB System RAM
    6GB free HDD space
    DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher (i.e GTX550Ti); ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
    DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs:
    Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
    Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
    2GB System RAM
    6GB free HDD Space
    Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
    DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet access for Steam activation

Console:
    PS3 or Xbox 360
    Sufficient memory for saving

Mods
    Don't like a certain aspect of the game? Lusting for some more stuff to do, things to kill, items to use, or tits to ogle at? You can bet your arse there's a mod for it. If not, then it's only a matter of time. Now that the Creation Kit (the tools Bethesda themselves used to make the game) is released, modding talent stretching back all the way to the days of Morrowind is fully unleashed. Even with the limited, jury-rigged tools previously available, there is a veritable plethora of mods to choose from. That having been said, with such modding freedom comes the inevitable shit to sift through.

If this is your first time playing Skyrim, i'd recommend playing through the game vanilla first at least for a while, so you can fully appreciate and understand the changes these mods make.

Want to make mods yourself? Direct your browser to http://www.creationkit.com/ if you'd like to learn how. If you're already familiar with Morrowind or Oblivion modding, check it out anyway; there's some new stuff. The kit itself will be in the Tools section of you Steam Library.

Mod Managers and other useful things
    Nexus Mod Manager
    TesModMananger
    Skyrim Script Extender(not a mod in and of itself, but massively expands the functionality possible for mods, thus many of them use this)

Performance Mods
    These mods either do not affect visual quality at all, or so minimally you'd be hard pressed to even notice it.
    TESV Acceleration Layer
    CURRENTLY INCOMPATIBLE WITH PATCH 1.4
    Skyboost (same function as TESVAL but updated more frequently)

Graphics Mods
    For those of you with beefier computers. That having been said, not all of these affect framerate noticeably, such as SkyUI.
    Realistic Water Textures
    Higher Res Textures
    SkyUI (VERY highly recommended, vast improvement on the default UI)
    Higher Quality Map (shows roads)
    Better Blood Textures
    Better Night Sky
    Flora Overhaul
    ENBSeries (shader extension mod, look for a good config for it as well)
    Such as these 2 by 2 sexy Facepunch members:
    Yadda's Realistic ENB Configuration
    BANNED USER's ENB Config

Gameplay Mods

Plutos Improved Skyrim Experience
    Killable Children (because they're creepy cloned Breton children, and often downright annoying)
    Deadly Dragons (self-descriptive)
    Balanced Magic (self-descriptive. makes destruction more useful the higher your level, in line with the damage increases for melee and bow weapons)
    Duel - Combat Realism (makes melee combat about a bit more than slam on the mouse buttons. wouldn't recommend the expansion for it till the compatibility issues are sorted out)
    Duel - Craftable Arrows (because it makes no sense to have to spend thousands on buying Dwemer arrows when you've got hundreds of Dwemer ingots waiting to be used)
    Let It All Out (improves the power and general usefulness of shouts)
    ThuuMic (allows you to control shouts with your own voice)
    Midas Magic (adds a bunch of new spells, as well as a rather convoluted way of acquiring them (in my opinion))
    Lost Art of the Blacksmith (Adds many many missing crafting recipes, as well as upgrading for those items sorely missing them)
    Smithing Perks Overhaul (Fixes the smithing perks, so that items that used to not be able to benefit from any of them now can from the appropriate perk)
    Weapons and Armour Fixes (Does what it says on the tin, very highly recommended)

Mods you should not install (i.e. monster penis mods)
    Troll Penis Mod ("Male" trolls) - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3684

Facepunch Modders (wip)
    Here I shall link to every Facepunch modder's Steam Workshop or Nexus profile (or whatever site they've uploaded their mods to) that I can find. If you've uploaded mods and are missing from this list, PM me!
    (names used here are their Facepunch user names)
    MadPro119
    Yotrig
    TrannyAlert
    Fatfatfatty
    Meat
    selby3962
    -TRASE-
    Funsize
    RayvenQ
    Hideous_
    Kai-ryuu
    Naitomere
    slayer20
    Yadda
    BANNED USER
    Seiteki
    PieClock
    thrawn2787
    Namelezz!
    Chilean_Wolf
    Lanopo
    KorJax
    Toomuchfags
    Psychojake
    Chickens!
    Eeshton
    diwako
    BLOODGA$M
    ConTron123
    Nitrowing
    H4wkeye
    UntouchedShadow
    Oicani Gonzales
    CasualJoe
    rinoaff33
    Wheeze201

Mod Projects in Progress
    If you know how to work the CK, or can voice act, go help out Oskutin with his new city project!
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1165664

Namelezz! is working on a pretty awesome-looking gladiator duelling mod, check it out on his blog:
    http://tomitoikka.com/blog/something...his-way-comes/

Protips/Exploits:
    "Why the fuck aren't my arrows or spells hitting distant things?!"
    This advice from rinoaff33:
    Go to your skyrim.ini and add this line at the bottom
    [Actor]
    fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=10000.0000

If for some reason you already have [Actor] just add the next part into that section. I set mine to 10,000 the same as my Actor fade distance. you should set yours the same too.
    What this does it fixes arrows that can't hit anything past a certain range. You know when you shoot mammoths from super far away and it never hit, but you get a little bit closer and it does hit?
    When hunting deer, they like to run far away and stop when they are out of range. well now you can hit them! you need to aim pretty high to shoot at this distance though

"Why does the HD pack prevent my retexture mods from working?"
    The problem is it uses .esps to get the textures loaded, overriding anything else. What you want to do is go to your skyrim.ini file and change

[Archive]
    sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

to

[Archive]
    sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

and just delete or disable the esps

Quick leveling smithing and making easy gold:
    Smithing can be raised quite easily by making many of the same low-level item. An iron dagger gives as much experience as a dwarven dagger or a daedric one. Travel around, buy up all the iron and leather strips and make them into daggers. Save the daggers. Enchant all of the daggers with whatever enchantment you have that is worth the most. You'll make absurd amounts of gold.

Alchemy and enchanting can be paired in a loop of sorts to create ridiculous potions/enchantments:
    1. Create a fortify enchanting potion.
    2. Drink the potion and enchant a full set of clothing with a fortify alchemy.
    3. Put on the clothing and return to step 1.
    4. Repeat until you've got your desired level of power.

Preventing damage from arrows:
    Objects can be used to deflect incoming arrows. Bodies work well.

Easy Sneaking/Theft:
    You can't be caught if they can't see you - put a bucket or cauldron over a viewers head.

Untested Theory Of How To Make Money Quickly (Crime Pays):
    1. Be married.
    2. Make sure your spouse has a store and gives you the 100 gold a day.
    3. Commit mass murder.
    4. Go to jail.
    5. Collect 200 Dollars.

User submitted content:

Why do argonians have tits? (Basically this was bethesdas way of explaining the changes that were made to the beast races)

Last Thread: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1152139

Was someone scheduled to make the next thread? It seemed odd to me that a new one hasn't been made yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Winner Winner x 14Funny Funny x 4Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,469 Posts
    Ok GUYYSS REV UP THOSE MOD TOOLS!

Official 1.4 update!!

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/02/01/1...-now-on-steam/

CK AND NEW FEATURES, EVERY SINGLE ONE IS AMAZING

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/02/01/f...yrim-workshop/

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 35 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    This game still hasn't ended for me.. I'm entangled in so many quests right now..

Blackreach place was interesting, but I didn't even manage to fully explore it when I was there for the Elder Scrolls. Also got a quest to gather Nirnroot in there. And now I gotta Harvest blood of several races, and Night Mother kills doesn't seem to end either..   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

4. Post #4
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,354 Posts
    New playthrough idea:

Only allowed to wear robes, enchanted one-handed sword, illusion magic, and sparks.

Master of the Force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 16 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,070 Posts
    Did Skyrim just update for anyone else? Also does anyone know what was updated? Because I can't find the patch notes on Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

6. Post #6
    ~ an extraordinary gentleman ~
    December 2006
    1,355 Posts
    Gonna make an arena mod, game concept is ready and the tools are mastered (due to the UI being the same as previous Construction Sets). Watch me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,469 Posts
    Did Skyrim just update for anyone else, also does anyone know what was updated? Because I can't find the patch notes on Steam.
    As I said in my post above, official 1.4 patch released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,513 Posts
    I'll be adding some more mods to the OP list soon, let me know of any suggestions/objections.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,070 Posts
    As I said in my post above, official 1.4 patch released.
    Oh I thought you just meant the trailer. My mistake.

10. Post #10
    January 2012
    1,140 Posts
    We need new animations.

New kill moves animations.

We need it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,792 Posts
    So is 1.4 released? Because I found this twitter post claiming that the "IR" will be released next week:

12. Post #12
    : |
    February 2009
    3,703 Posts
    i enjoy this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Informative Informative x 13Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,832 Posts
    so when's the CK out? thought it was end of jan? that video looks sick though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    866 Posts
    i just updated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2009
    486 Posts
    191.5 mb update a few minutes ago. Don't see anything on the "News" yet, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,513 Posts
    Oh by the way, SKSE has a beta version that should be compatible with the new patch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Puddin'
    November 2008
    10,408 Posts
    i enjoy this game
    No you don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative x 9Agree x 5Funny x 1Artistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,860 Posts
    First thing I'm going to do when the CK comes out? Add the ability to answer "Talos? Only heretics worship him. Long live Rajhin!" to the Justicars.

Edited:

Boop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    11,266 Posts
    Whay happened to the last thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,513 Posts
    Locked. I think the automatic too-big thread lock has been put into action again, if you check the event log's toobig section.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,642 Posts
    should i get the bonebreaker perks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,421 Posts
    New playthrough idea:

Only allowed to wear robes, enchanted one-handed sword, illusion magic, and sparks.

Master of the Force.
    You need Magicka Sabers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,944 Posts
    automatic new month lock
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,513 Posts
    should i get the bonebreaker perks?
    I'm going to assume you're using maces, so yes. Having one's weapon ignore armour is very useful against heavily armoured enemies (naturally) and dragons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

25. Post #25
    November 2009
    9,507 Posts
    automatic new month lock
    Wait, hold up... Threads can no longer last more than one month?

Doesn't that make more threads, thereby slowing down the forums, and creating the problem it's meant to solve?

I'm confused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,424 Posts
    I like how it took until February to make a video to show us the Creation Kit, when they said they'd release it in January. Todd has just as good of a sense of time as Gabe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

27. Post #27
    I DRAW SEALS
    March 2009
    6,089 Posts
    So, quick question. How do I clean my skyrim of mods without blowing up my saves? I want a fresh skyrim for when the CK comes out.

also, so going to make a shoryuken unarmed attack when it comes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,792 Posts
    Great, now I have to wait for SkyBoost to get updated, also before the CK is officially out, here is a cardboard spear:
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7575

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,421 Posts
    Great, now I have to wait for SkyBoost to get updated, also before the CK is officially out, here is a cardboard spear:
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7575
    The new patch is supposed to optimize the game a lot, so you might not even need SkyBoost anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,315 Posts
    Anyone knows what was all in this patch? Same as in the beta patch?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

31. Post #31
    I want mods support but i play on xbox 360 ... Hell, no skyrim is my most wanted game on pc. I'm jealous of all of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Exl
    October 2010
    86 Posts
    Looks like it. Though skimming over the quest fixes I notice one or two new fixes. There's also mention of some PS3 specific fixes to long-term play optimizations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,860 Posts
    The new patch is supposed to optimize the game a lot, so you might not even need SkyBoost anymore.
    Supposedly optimises the game. You're talking about the same company that promised the CK weeks ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,626 Posts
    I don't know what was in it but my load times just doubled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,832 Posts
    I like how it took until February to make a video to show us the Creation Kit, when they said they'd release it in January. Todd has just as good of a sense of time as Gabe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,777 Posts
    Part 1 of my "Facepunch Skyrim Project" is done uploading.

Give me tips/complaints/compliments as you see fit (Talk less/It was funny/hang you'reself). Note i had/have a mad cold, and wont be recording another till thats healed up

~9 hours to go uploading the next one. If anyone can help with recording/rendering/uploading, let me know. :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Winner Winner x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    Damn, I hate seeing my threads fill up (not really it's actually quite satisfying)

I think the current OP (The one I made) works fine, just add information as needed (esp that which pertains to the Creation Kit/new mods)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Supposedly optimises the game. You're talking about the same company that promised the CK weeks ago.
    Actually it was months ago. It was supposed to be released on launch.

On a more positive and less Valve-like note, have some screenies:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    July 2011
    1,302 Posts
    I guess skyboost is now incompatible and useless?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,513 Posts
    Too early for me to tell, but I think it may have solved some stuttering issues I was having, as well as increasing framerate (even with skyboost having to be removed)

Edited:

I guess skyboost is now incompatible and useless?
    So it seems, but it seems to run faster for me now than it ever did with Skyboost. We'll see when Skyboost gets updated, shouldn't be too long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)