1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    Fighting games, everyone has played them, and very few don't mash in them.

2.5D fighting games:

If you clicked this thread you probably know about this franchise
    Following the successes of SF4, SSF4, and AE, capcom has made a new revision which comes in the form of an update, changing most of the game, called AE 2012: Hakan is actually not shit anymore edition.

It's mahvel babeh!
    A new version of capcom and marvels cross franchise game, Marvel vs Capcom, which came under fire for releasing a new full game a year after mahvel 3 instead of a dlc, everyone still picks at least one from the trenchcoat mafia(Wesker Dante Vergil) and the darkstalkers characters are still shit except morrigan

Street Fighter x Tekken

Street Fighter x Tekken and its sister game Tekken x Street Fighter are a pair of games being developed by Capcom and Namco respectively, bringing two of the biggest fighting game franchises together for the very first time. Capcom's game will be more based on the Street Fighter engine, with Tekken mechanics like Special Punches being converted into a more SF-compatible format. The same is true for Namco's version, with Street Fighter characters presumably being adapted into Tekken mechanics. There has been much less information about the latter game than the former, however.

2D fighting games:

Blazblue

Blazblue has been a spiritual successor to the popular Guilty Gear franchise, which they lost the rights to. This isn't that popular in America but it is pretty popular in Asia and Europe(Which is odd since Europe mainly plays 3d fighting games)

Melty Bread/Blood

A not so known outside of japan franchise, features three styles of play per character, making them play vastly different(A zoning character can suddenly become a rushdown, etc) and the way you get meter also changes depending on the moon, some of them being much alike how other franchises do their meter building(Crescent is blazblue like if I remember right), This is pretty much the only fighting game worth playing on pc nowadays, since the PC version of SSF4 AE is still not 2012 and probably won't be for a good while. Only way to legally get this is to buy a bundle with this games anime, which costs like $130.
    And yes, he has a move that summons a deer.

Street Fighter: Third strike

Hailed as the best street fighter game by many, this game is what pretty much shot the fighting game scene into the tournament scene. It has recently been re-released on consoles with online support, not much to say about this, it's just that good.

3D fighting games:

Tekken

Tekken isn't really that popular in America, no idea about Japan, but in Europe it is possibly the most played fighting game outside of soul calibur, it features destructible terrain, allowing you to for example knock someone out of a window, then jump after them to fight further down.

Soul Calibur

Probably the most popular 3D fighter in America, tied with tekken in Europe and pretty popular in japan, it features destructible armor, custom characters, a lot of guest characters(Ranging from anywhere from darth vader, to Ezio Auditore, and even the games producer) This game features mostly weapon combat rather than hand to hand combat, and features ring outs that are instant KO's.

Catherine

This isn't so much a fighting game, but a game people sometimes play at fighting game tournaments for shits and giggles

Popular fighting game streams(Toss me a PM if I missed any)
    The king of streaming: http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky
    EG Floe, dansgame: http://twitch.tv/eg_floe
    8wayrun: http://twitch.tv/8wayrun
    Fingercramp Jago: http://twitch.tv/fingercramp

If you want any games added to the OP just pm me with the info about it, I don't really want to write about games I don't really know about(Haven't played anything of KoF but KoF98, and never played DoA for example)
    And if you have any good footage for tekken and soul calibur just toss me a pm too, I don't follow the tournaments of those that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,660 Posts
    I love fighting games. Started to play Virtua Fighter 5 again today, although I still prefer VF4 Evolution or whatever it was called.

3. Post #3
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Always been a Tekken kid. Mostly 3,4,5 and Tag.

Also "Throwing your enemy through a wall" or whatever was first featured in Dead or Alive AFAIK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    I still need to decide whether I buy SCV or KOF. Going to try them both out at a local session this weekend.

5. Post #5
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,409 Posts
    i just read what i think may be one of the worst reviews for a fighting game in my life

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201...soulcalibur-v/

The new character customization is either much better or much worse, depending on what you're looking for in character customization. If you want to put stickers on your cape or make a short Asteroth, Soulcalibur V is the game for you. But if you want Soulcalibur IV's indepth unlockable stat-based equipment RPG, well, Soulcalibur IV is the game for you. Because Soulcalibur V has none of that. What a disappointing step backwards.
    who fucking complains about lack of rpg elements in a fighter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    in 2013 people will no longer be judged by ethnicity but by the anime girl used as their avatar
    March 2007
    7,909 Posts
    what i don't like is that they made SC V into a more serious and competitive game (which is ok i guess) but they p. much threw out a lot of modes like team battle mode and survival mode

why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,258 Posts
    I keep losing to the AI in soul caliber V because i love high moves and they all love to duck...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2011
    267 Posts
    Honestly, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Skullgirls yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    who cares, nobody played that shit anyway.

10. Post #10
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,409 Posts
    what i don't like is that they made SC V into a more serious and competitive game (which is ok i guess) but they p. much threw out a lot of modes like team battle mode and survival mode

why
    you see this is actually a legitimate complaint, not 'i can't play rpg dressup 2000!'

11. Post #11
    in 2013 people will no longer be judged by ethnicity but by the anime girl used as their avatar
    March 2007
    7,909 Posts
    skullgirls is ok i guess ugh

the art style i dislike and it pretty much looks like a straight up mvc clone

12. Post #12
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,409 Posts
    yeah i'm already over skullgirls and it's not even out
    it's not going to take off like a lot of people seem to think it will

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,258 Posts
    The cast seems pretty small.

14. Post #14
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    Because it is, because you're going to pay for it later.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    Is there a release date on dampierre in SC5? Like for people that don't want to support gamestop

16. Post #16
    March 2007
    7,909 Posts
    character access limited by which retailer you choose to buy the game from?

really namco?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    character access limited by which retailer you choose to buy the game from?

really namco?
    It's only one character, it's not really new, I mean it was console exclusives last game.

Also good job on arturo and spore not noticing they weren't on AE 2012 for an entire match

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,660 Posts
    Is there a release date on dampierre in SC5? Like for people that don't want to support gamestop
    What? Not Dampierre! He was my favorite in Broken Destiny! And it's the only Soul Calibur game I own!

19. Post #19
    I LIKE BIG DUCKS AND I CANNOT LIE, YOU OTHER QUACKS CAN'T DENY
    December 2008
    13,247 Posts
    UMvC3 is filled with babies that ragequit over everything. Once I landed Wright's Objection! on someone and they quit as soon as it hit them.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    UMvC3 is filled with babies that ragequit over everything. Once I landed Wright's Objection! on someone and they quit as soon as it hit them.
    That's been the case since fucking mvc2 mvc attracts the whiniest of the whiners, hell, just look at the youtubemonsters whining about ChrisG's awesome morrigan in the finals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    I LIKE BIG DUCKS AND I CANNOT LIE, YOU OTHER QUACKS CAN'T DENY
    December 2008
    13,247 Posts
    That's been the case since fucking mvc2 mvc attracts the whiniest of the whiners, hell, just look at the youtubemonsters whining about ChrisG's awesome morrigan in the finals.
    If I was caught in that nightmare I would probably be a bit mad too. heh

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    If I was caught in that nightmare I would probably be a bit mad too. heh
    Yeah, but watching it was fucking awesome, yet the youtubemonsters fucking hated him for it.

23. Post #23
    March 2010
    5,092 Posts

Now that you mention it, it does play similar to MvC. I feel like a moron for not realizing that earlier.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    http://twitch.tv/leveluplive

Wed night fights live.

25. Post #25
    ASK ME ABOUT THE SLUTTY CAT PEOPLE THAT LIVE INSIDE MY HEAD
    August 2010
    4,978 Posts
    skullgirls isn't an mvc clone because it has six buttons, custom assists and anti-infinite stuff!   because they cant just punch out the infinite   

Honestly, I just want it because it's coming for PC and that SFxT looks to be casual babby tier stuff right now.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    Yeah, you'd have to be legally retarded to think it's an mvc clone, it reminds me more of.. Gah what was that other fighting game where you could choose one or two characters, I think capcom made it.

And PC needs more fighting games, nowadays we only have melty blood, and ggpo.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,258 Posts
    You know you could of got him in release day copies from best buy? I didn't even pre-order and i still have him.

28. Post #28
    March 2010
    5,092 Posts
    Yeah, you'd have to be legally retarded to think it's an mvc clone, it reminds me more of.. Gah what was that other fighting game where you could choose one or two characters, I think capcom made it.

And PC needs more fighting games, nowadays we only have melty blood, and ggpo.
    The Capcom vs SNK series came to mind. You can pick the number of characters you want.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts

taking mechanics from one of the best fighting games ever released isn't cloning it you dolt. i understand people disliking the art style because that is subjective but almost every video and hands-on impression has been overwhelmingly positive.

Street Fighter: Third strike

Hailed as the best street fighter game by many, this game is what pretty much shot the fighting game scene into the tournament scene. It has recently been re-released on consoles with online support, not much to say about this, it's just that good.
    lol not at all. many people disliked it on release (lack of established cast, universal option select in parrying). in general SFII Super Turbo is seen as the best and most competitive street fighter game.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    You know you could of got him in release day copies from best buy? I didn't even pre-order and i still have him.
    Yeah, we sure have best buy over here in EUROPE

And I know 3rd strike was hated on release

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,660 Posts
    Mortal Kombat Kollection just came out on PC!
    FUCK YEAH!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    MK's AI was always super cheap as fuck, specially Cyrax, Jade, and Motaro.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,126 Posts
    No King of Fighters mention? Sad day. KoF has to be one of my favorite series in terms of the actual fighting aspect. If I want story in a fighting game, I play BlazBlue.

Although I do think KoF 13 is missing quite a few characters that I enjoyed from previous titles, it is quite fun. Especially playing as the Black alternate skin for Terry.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,349 Posts
    No King of Fighters mention? Sad day. KoF has to be one of my favorite series in terms of the actual fighting aspect. If I want story in a fighting game, I play BlazBlue.

Although I do think KoF 13 is missing quite a few characters that I enjoyed from previous titles, it is quite fun. Especially playing as the Black alternate skin for Terry.

Toss me a PM with some info on the series, as I said I've only played 98.

35. Post #35
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    MK's AI was always super cheap as fuck, specially Cyrax, Jade, and Motaro.
    It's not cheap, it's broken retarded. The AI in the first 5 games is literally a table of instant attack responses to inputs from the user, with standardized variable resposnse and built in delay-by-difficulty. Worst AI ever.

36. Post #36
    June 2009
    3,692 Posts
    Mortal Kombat Kollection just came out on PC!
    FUCK YEAH!
    bought this 1 minute after reading your post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    March 2007
    7,909 Posts
    why are you two guys getting pissed off about my opinions about the game

to me it looks like a mvc style fighting game no need to get angry about it

it's not like i'm telling people to not buy it or something geez!!!

38. Post #38
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    why are you two guys getting pissed off about my opinions about the game
    Maybe you missed the part of the title that says "fighting games"?

Any opinion that isn't parroted verbatim from someone in Akihabara or Van Nuys/San Diego is automatically the devil.

39. Post #39
    March 2007
    7,909 Posts
    can't understand why everybody seems to bandwagon on the sf x tekken hate train

how do you know it's bad if you haven't even played it yet

it looks like a legit fun game to play and it's introducing lots of new and innovative things to a genre that is often static and doesn't change much (heroes vs heralds mode in umvc3 comes to mind if you want another example)

i get the feeling that most fighting game fans have a hard time embracing change
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    June 2009
    3,692 Posts
    asdfghjk getting an error on my MK collection, ue3shader etcetc missing needs to be in binaries folder but i straight up don't have the file.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)