1. Post #1
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    (Monthly locks, people need better OPs.)

Hey, there lads. Welcome to my cozy little tavern. Take a seat and prepare for all the Dungeons & Dragons you can handle.

Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fpdnd?

What is Dungeons & Dragons?

Are you kidding me? Dungeons & Dragons is everything. Dungeons & Dragons is one of the most fun experiences you can have with your friends, and even people you don't know!
    Now this might not be enough information for you greedy little bastards, so prepare for some Good Ol' Mr. Wikipedia:

[release]Dungeons & Dragons (abbreviated as D&D or DnD) is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) originally designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, and first published in 1974 by Tactical Studies Rules, Inc. The game has been published by Wizards of the Coast since 1997. It was derived from miniature wargames with a variation of the Chainmail game serving as the initial rule system. D&D's publication is widely regarded as the beginning of modern role-playing games and the role-playing game industry.[/release]

So maybe I got you interested, and you want to play a game of D&D. What you should do is simply Google your place with "Dungeons & Dragons" behind it, or whatever suits you, and then see if you get results out of that. If not, try to find a FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store) in your area. They will organize these games, and many other games, so you can play a game and meet new guys.

So just go ahead to your FLGS, ask the store owner about D&D and he should be able to tell you anything you need to know. If he is incapable of doing that, you can always ask around in this thread.

So what does a game look like?
    Well, here is some media:

Now, you have to understand that behind this quite nerdy looking shell lies so much more. A world of fun. I understand that these pictures might just enforce the stereotype non-gamers have, but you shouldn't let that stop you to explore these games for yourself.

Now, if you know that these games are just not your thing then I won't stop you.

Basically this is all you need to know to get started, but I understand that the OP is missing quite a lot, so if you feel like contributing to it, please go ahead. I will add anything reasonable that you want.

So, you're interested. Great!
    As Dungeons and Dragons grew in popularity, so did the creators appreciation for its fanbase. There are multiple editions of the game and many official add-ons. Now don't get the idea that the latest one is the best, all the systems have different characteristics. The tools many players own can get expensive, so here's a few websites to help you with basic information.
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

[h2]NO EDITION WARS[/h2]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,100 Posts
    Been wanting to get into this for quite a while. Wish the Virtual D&D table would get released already. Seems very nice and a good place to start. Since me and my friends don't feel like spending $100 just to get the starter books.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2009
    443 Posts
    You know maptools does the job well enough, and its free. I'm currently teaching 3 of my friends the game, starting from scratch. If you want to learn 4th Edition, I can teach you enough for you to play. Give us a shout on steam and i'll find some time for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,100 Posts
    You know maptools does the job well enough, and its free. I'm currently teaching 3 of my friends the game, starting from scratch. If you want to learn 4th Edition, I can teach you enough for you to play. Give us a shout on steam and i'll find some time for you.
    Would be cool to try. Heard about maptools before actually. I'll talk to my friends and see if they are still interested as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,557 Posts
    I'll(try) contribute towards the op.
    So, you're interested. Great!
    As Dungeons and Dragons grew in popularity, so did the creators appreciation for its fanbase. There are multiple editions of the game and many official add-ons. Now don't get the idea that the latest one is the best, all the systems have different characteristics. The tools many players own can get expensive, so here's a few websites to help you with basic information.
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
    So, to continue from the last thread, does anybody have any examples or links to other pocket editions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    2e best e
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 2Zing x 2Funny x 2Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    March 2009
    443 Posts
    6 posts. I think thats a new record.

.. and then i thought about it for a moment. and i agree. 2e will be the best e
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    September 2009
    180 Posts
    I've been wanting to get into D&D for a whole while, but I've never really found the time, nor people to play with in my area. It does sound like great fun though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    From what I hear, I may have a small group (anywhere from 3-5) ready to play. Going to be trying out Legend for the longer campaign, that Pocket RPG for quick one-offs.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,746 Posts
    I've always wanted to learn to play this, happy the thread was made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    March 2009
    443 Posts
    I guess ill try to schedule some sessions for 'punchers wishing to learn 4e. I can only really cover aspects pertinent to players, since im still learning to DM myself.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,635 Posts
    I have this:

Not true D&D, rulesets are based on 4th edition rules, and its a boardgame but sue me, I think its fun, and more importantly I can actually play it more than once in a blue moon

It's possible to play it with other people without having to do a large setup, time commitment, or have every person playing be "into" D&D, which I like. If you're someone like me who's interested in D&D but just wasn't blessed growing up with people who knew how to play and regularly played, its a nice alternative that requires a lot less commitment and know-how. Plus the figures are pretty sweet.

13. Post #13
    March 2009
    443 Posts
    maan i wish i had money and could buy nice things like that

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,557 Posts
    I am, an artist~

I'd add a better description, but I'd have to go in and fill all the white spaces created by letters with close areas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,207 Posts
    I've been running a Pathfinder game for about the past month and a half. It is pretty fun, but basing a whole campaign around Demons can be a bit difficult at times since half the fucking time the Demons in the Bestiaries are either too high a CR or too low of a CR for the group.

16. Post #16
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,420 Posts
    Is this thread only for DnD? Can we talk about nWoD? Dark Heresy?

Can we get some Facepunchers to post some stories of their gaming shenanigans?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,557 Posts
    I believe Dark Heresy chat goes in the 40k thread. I'm pretty sure all others are welcome here, but don't take my word for it.

18. Post #18
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    Writing an introduction for my campaign.
    http://diceofdoom.com/blog/2009/02/8...t-in-a-tavern/
    http://www.dangermouse.net/gurps/reject/tavern.html

Hooray, they're not starting in a tavern, unless they choose that is.

Edited:

I believe Dark Heresy chat goes in the 40k thread. I'm pretty sure all others are welcome here, but don't take my word for it.
    I see this thread as a general Pen & Paper chat, might update the title to something fitting.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    name the thread 2e, no edition wars.

But 2e has raging clerics.

2e really is best e.

Except for pathfinder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,207 Posts

Edited:

I see this thread as a general Pen & Paper chat, might update the title to something fitting.
    Maybe like, TRPGs - Where we worship Satan 24/7

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,447 Posts

Edited:

Speaking of our game, when did you plan on having the first session? I was hoping for this saturday or sometime soon. I'm really looking forward to it.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    I just really like the depth and flexibility in path finder classes.

I mean, sure you can fluff things up nicely no matter what system.

But holy shit pathfinder has lots of stuff.

Edited:

Maybe like, TRPGs - Where we worship Satan 24/7
    PnP RPGs, murdering kids in the sewers since like '80

Edited:

Also you need clips from the tom hanks movie in the op

23. Post #23
    June 2008
    700 Posts
    I was waiting for a thread like this. Just got into DnD and doing my first campaign.

Said campaign has lasted like 3 or 4 months though but I think I have a good knowledge of the game.

24. Post #24
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    I could never play this game seriously and it didn't help that the group I ran with were all asshole(myself included). We were all dysfunctional from the get go and did exactly the opposite whatever the DM had laid out. Probably the best memory I have is the group taking bets on who get hit the dragon's balls with a throwing hatchet first or when I killed my swashbuckler when I failed a tumble check to land safely after jumping from a crows nest in the middle of a fight. D&D is cool but I always preferred Spycraft and Deadlands

25. Post #25
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    Speaking of our game, when did you plan on having the first session? I was hoping for this saturday or sometime soon. I'm really looking forward to it.
    I could do probably do Saturday. My Fridays are already taken for another group.
    Only thing I need to do is design a couple more floors of a dungeon, figure out how I'm gonna make it all work.

I just need to have a definite answer on who's attending and when they're able to show up. I've just had a bunch of maybes. I'll be running Legend and am willing to help people create characters. I know a little about it, having read through the various PDFs and made a few sheets. It's still new, after all.

If the Legend campaign falls apart, I can salvage with a different system or just scrap it, but hopefully it all stays together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,447 Posts
    I could do probably do Saturday. My Fridays are already taken for another group.
    Only thing I need to do is design a couple more floors of a dungeon, figure out how I'm gonna make it all work.

I just need to have a definite answer on who's attending and when they're able to show up. I've just had a bunch of maybes. I'll be running Legend and am willing to help people create characters. I know a little about it, having read through the various PDFs and made a few sheets. It's still new, after all.

If the Legend campaign falls apart, I can salvage with a different system or just scrap it, but hopefully it all stays together.
    I'll be there for certain. College classes seem to be giving out little homework as of late.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,582 Posts
    Is this thread only for DnD? Can we talk about nWoD? Dark Heresy?

Can we get some Facepunchers to post some stories of their gaming shenanigans?
    Got into trouble with the local law enforcement in an Outlands town after 7 sessions of no contact with an NPC that didn't want to spill our precious bodily fluids. It was supposed to be a friendly brawl between me and the party cleric, but apparently Ribcage doesn't support a Bar Brawl policy, because by the time I was down to 50% health we heard the police yelling for everyone to get outside.

Luckily for the four of us (the halfling rogue and our death machine half-orc were watching and preparing to turn our fisticuffs duel into a full blown melee with everyone else) we got some really good rolls to talk our way out of getting arrested. The half-orc intimidated the guards to let him leave while I had to convince them that we were simply civilians (and not the ones who started the fight.) It was a 17+13, but nowhere near as impressive as the natural 20 (with +12 modifier due to some nifty spells) that the cleric pulled out.

One thing led to another, and now we've convinced the law enforcement me, the halfling and the cleric are undercover agents working for an Archdevil, and they want us to "hunt down the half-orc" (he ran off into the city.) As the session drew to a close, our tankish dragonborn clomped up in full plate with a horse in tow. Apparently, he really, really likes that horse.

We got quite a bit on our plate next session, but to be honest it's a great change from the hack n' slash with periods of non-combat situations we've been having lately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    As the session drew to a close, our tankish dragonborn clomped up in full plate with a horse in tow. Apparently, he really, really likes that horse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    FINALLY found a student club devoted to tabletop gaming. FINALLY.

DM's, I want to pitch a monster character to you: Ethereal merchant. Yes, inspired by WoW.

Ethereals started as an ancient single spark in the positive energy plane, and it gained energy from the plane and split. With every split, the two new ethereals hold some of the memories and ideals of the previous spark, although the memories of a few generations of sparks back begin to fade. However, outside the positive energy plane, sparks stabilize and lose the energy to split. And they set out to explore. You see, descending from a common ancestor so rapidly relative to other races, ethereals have had an abundance of discourse between themselves exchanging ideas and information gleaned from explorations of the various planes, taking shape within clothing and becoming a citizen. As a race of people, they constantly seek to gain new perspective and foster individuality. It's the constant quest of an ethereal: Seeking a perspective on the multiverse such that it can claim with confidence the pronoun "I".

With enough information, wildly varying among individual ethereals, they may reach a tipping point, and seek to return to the positive energy plane for a split. Thus, two new individuals with different perspectives will seek yet more knowledge.

My ethereal would be the merchant, having wandered the planes and found the material world at its center, fascinated by its serene, diverse beauty relative to the chaos of the planes. No more powerful than an average PC race. Its been quite some time since he split and began wandering, but he has no desire to leave the material world, simply carting goods from town to town, city to city. The opportunity to adventure and explore further landscapes, nations, factions, motives, politics, arts, eventually drives him to unite with a party.

Anyone think it's workable? Any idea for race bonuses and disadvantages? Obvious one being that negative energy is crippling/fatal.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    Get your WoW out of my tabletop shit.

Seriously.

Having ANYTHING inspired by WoW runs the risk of derailing everything and having players talk about WoW instead of the game going on right now.

What I find fucking incredible is all the posts "oh yeah so glad to see a thread like this" how did you all miss version 1 of this thread?

Shit.

Gaming shenanigans?

I joined a group as an elf bard-barian (bard of rage).

In my first session I decided it would be swank to burst into the middle of their combat (they were going through a swamp area and there were CROCODILES!!)

Charge + rage + cleave = I killed all of the crocodiles in two rounds and pissed off the half-elf fighter who's so full of himself it's hilarious.

Also I've used bard powers to fascinate shopkeepers while someone else swiped the magical masks that they were trying to gouge us out of.

Cool stuff... uh
    My friend once took a running leap off a boat at a seamonster, he failed his checks to get on it, fell in the water and fucking DROWNED. It was hilarious.

I don't know I mean, that guy stories are not really my forte, most of my IRL games devolve into hack and slash video game simulators and are mostly silly. Our last session was an acid trip. You go into the dungeon expecting undead, zombies, fort saves (poison traps) and it was ALL IN YOUR MIND. It was well done and really fucking weird. The DM had rewatched inception a few weeks before he wrote it.

OH fun story, playing through the tomb of horrors with DAT SPHERE, we feed half a 10 foot pole into it, out comes a 5 foot pole, the rogue decides to throw in a +1 ring of deflection into it. The DM laughed in his face.

Also for tips on race creation pick a pre-existing race, use those rules and just fluff the differences out, DMs love that shit because you're not using homebrew rules which are stupid and likely as balanced as a one legged prostitute on a stilted unicycle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    Get your WoW out of my tabletop shit.

Seriously.

Having ANYTHING inspired by WoW runs the risk of derailing everything and having players talk about WoW instead of the game going on right now.
    Well then people should stop being children and derailing threads. Not the least of them being yourself.

Now, did I not present a legitimate question?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    Well then people should stop being children and derailing threads. Not the least of them being yourself.
    I said derailing players. Like in your game.

Have you ever sat down at a table of neckbeards?
    Shit is easier to derail than a train. Just say "Wouldn't it be cool if we played X"

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    I said derailing players. Like in your game.

Have you ever sat down at a table of neckbeards?
    Shit is easier to derail than a train. Just say "Wouldn't it be cool if we played X"
    Should their objections to the source of inspiration be strong enough, this is where a middle finger and a "Fuck off" become attractive options.

Chances are, their opinion of me is tainted and their attitudes will suck shit. I won't stick around for that kind of hostility.

34. Post #34
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    suppertime, who are you on Steam? It's bothering me.

Edited:

Also, I named it 2e because this is the 2e of D&D General Chat.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,173 Posts
    I played a 4th Edition campaign for about a year, then it dissolved. I miss late night D&D games.

36. Post #36
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    So, apparently Monks gain a flight speed in Legend.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,173 Posts
    So, apparently Monks gain a flight speed in Legend.
    Haha we had a monk in our party. His paragon path let him explode in a fiery blaze whenever he spent an action point.

Truly the best class.

38. Post #38
    September 2005
    12,173 Posts
    Haha we had a monk in our party. His paragon path let him explode in a fiery blaze whenever he spent an action point.

Truly the best class.
    Legend Monks? Take the Discipline of the Crane track.
    Increased move speed (up to +70ft)
    Deflection bonus to AC
    Flight equal to move speed
    Turn ethereal
    Teleport up to 100 miles, 100% chance
    Extra move action/once per encounter
    Full revive/once per scene
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,173 Posts
    Legend Monks?
    Increased move speed (up to +70ft)
    Deflection bonus to AC
    Flight equal to move speed
    Turn ethereal
    Teleport up to 100 miles, 100% chance
    Extra move action/once per encounter
    Full revive/once per scene