1. Post #1
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,613 Posts
    NEWBIES! SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEEM MORE RED TEXT!!

What is Defense of the Ancients?

Defense of the Ancients is the original map that created the "Action RTS" (ARTS) genre. It started as a map modification in Warcraft III and is now being made into it's own game with Valve using the Source engine. In short, it's a session based, Player vs. Player RPG. Ten people play on two teams of five and each person controls a hero of various ability, utility and strength. As you play in a game your hero will level up, you will gain gold, you'll kill opposing heroes and buy items to become stronger. The ultimate objective is to kill the enemies main structure in the back of their base. This takes teamwork and coordination, not something you can do by yourself as the base is also protected by AI controlled creeps that constantly spawn to defend it and towers meant to hold you back. Matches take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and when you're finished and start a new game, you pick a new hero and start all over. Nothing is persistant when it comes to something that can affect each game. That sounds simple in description but what has kept people playing it for years now are the complexities of the game.

What is the history behind Defense of the Ancients?

Defense of the Ancients started out a long time ago as a map modification in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. It was originally started by someone who went by the name Eul back in 2003. DotA is actually based on an older map from StarCraft called Aeon of Strife. When Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne released, Eul never updated the map. Probably because he went to work for Valve on Half-Life 2 and every title since (see this interview).

Variants of the map were made to replace Eul's version but none really replaced it until Steve Feak, aka Guinsoo, made DotA Allstars. Guinsoo added more heroes, the recepie system for items, and Roshan (Which is named after his bowling ball? Huh.) with his Aeigs of Immortality. He held development of the map for two years and in that time also helped make a central hub for DotA players with Steve Mescon, aka Pendragon, at dota-allstars.com. The website is now debunk since Steve and Steve now work on League of Legends.

In 2005 Guinsoo handed off development to IceFrog, the most reclusive of the DotA developers. IceFrog turned DotA into the highly competitve map it is today. While he regularly updated the map, adding new heroes, items, and fixes over time, the only evidence that he was working on it was the fact that his name was branded on the loading screen. He even refused to do interviews. Eventually he opened up his own blog and then a website, playdota.com, to communicate better with players. PlayDotA is now the central hub for DotA. IceFrog's variation of the map is the most balanced and competitive. DotA didn't become an esport until this version. It's mind boggling to think how over 100 heroes on one map can be balanced to such a point but IceFrog did it and has been doing it for years now.

At some point Valve approached IceFrog with the proposal to make DotA into a full retail game. Robin Walker, Adrian Finol (Eul), and Erik Johnson were all fans of DotA and eventually started talking to IceFrog over e-mail using the fact that they were big game developers (lol). When IceFrog expressed the want to make a sequel that was free of the restrictions in the Warcraft III engine, Valve said "Hey, we've got a great idea! Why don't you come here?" Obviously he said yes.

So what is going to make Dota 2 better than DotA?

Speaking from a players perspective, DotA had a lot of restrictions in Warcraft III. Battle.net was not the best host. You needed third-party programs to reliably host a game of DotA. Hotkeys were either restricted to what they were in-game or you needed to dig through the CustomKeys.txt yourself and set everything individually. There was no stat tracking and leagues were all self-regulated outside the game. There was no voice chat. There were none of the conviences that other ARTS had developed. Eventually, if you wanted to play DotA on Battle.net, you needed to join an in-house league because the game list was taken over by bots and automated games.

Everything in Dota 2 that has to do with gameplay is the same. Heroes, items, map layout, even attack animation are the same. The big changes are to interface and accessibility. You won't have to rely on local host programs because it will be done on Valve's servers. Matchmaking makes it easy to find games. There is voice chat for better coordination. There will be stat tracking. Being free from the Warcraft III engine will pretty much allow IceFrog to do whatever he wants with the game. And Dota 2 looks amazing. The voice work for each hero is like nothing that's been done before. Heroes talk to each other. How awesome is that?

So how can I play it?

You can't. Yet. Sorta. You can sign up for the beta. More and more people have been getting in every day. The selection is totally random at this point but if you're in the pool you still have a chance to get into the beta.

In the meantime, they also lifted the NDA. People in the beta can talk about it, post screenshots, and stream. If you want to watch some streams check Twitch.tv or own3d.tv. There is a website dedicated to streams for Dota 2, StreamDota2.com. You can also check Reddit's Dota 2 subreddit for news and screenshots and stuff like that. You can also watch all the matched from Valve's Dota 2 reveal tournament, The International, here. It's a spectacular series and shows off the game very well.

Coming from League of Legends? Read this.

Written by Zorus...

Like LoL, but a lot more unforgiving.

*Abilities don't scale with items, with the exception of a certain item increasing the damage on certain ultimates.
    *There is no AD or AP as in LoL, just three attributes which give health/health regen, mana/mana regen, and attack speed/armor.
    *Also there doesn't appear to be any sort of fixed metagame, unlike League with its standard bruiser top, caster mid, support/carry bot and jungler.
    *Every hero uses mana as a resource.
    *There is no combine cost for some items, but there are items called recipes which you must buy in order to complete certain items.
    *CC is much more brutal, with fifteen second silences and five second stuns.
    *You can control more than one unit, players control their own hero and a courier, and some heroes can summon units that they control. In League there's things like Tibbers, and Shaco clones, but to control those you can only hold alt and move the unit.
    *Upon death, you lose gold. Killing a hero will not decrease their value. Bounties are pretty much the same thing, also exp reward from kills is much greater
    *You can kill your own creeps when they are under 50% hp, only with autoattacks and certain skills, this is called denying and stops a hero from killing the creep for gold, while also decreasing the exp gain from the creep.
    *Trees and elevation which can be used to advantage
    *Day/Night system, some heroes get stronger during the night (and day?)
    *A lot of mids gank, whereas in LoL mid normally doesn't gank/would gain more benefit from staying in lane
    *LoL level cap is 18 and you can only level abilities, each ability can be levelled to 5. In Dota, level cap is 25, and you can add +2 to attributes as well as level abilities to 4 and ultimates to 3, not every hero only has 3 standard skills, also the hotkeys are different for each hero (however in Dota 2 the ability hotkeys are standard QWER with some heroes having more skills that extend to d and f)
    *Certain heroes have more vision range than others.
    *Wards last longer
    *Neutral creeps do not give buffs, the equivalent to Baron drops an item which is the equivalent to Guardian Angel's passive, and also Cheese on third death
    *Two runespots, runes are items that can be taken instantly, or bottled (with an item) to be used for later, runes can double damage, make two clones of your hero, (which take and deal less damage) stealth, increase movespeed, or regenerate hp and mana greatly
    *Lane creeps give a lot more gold than in LoL
    *Unit collision is more important
    *Different types of shops, there's a unified base shop in Dota 2 but in Dota they were segmented, a secret shop in the jungle on both sides, and a sidelane shop
    *To return to base you must either walk or purchase an item that allows you to teleport to allied structures, in other words, no global recall spell
    *Towers deal less damage but fire faster, the last hit on a tower will reward extra gold, towers can be denied to the enemy team just as creeps can
    *No runepages/summoner spells
    *No bushes

and that's about it. I've played both games, switched to LoL for a long time and now I'm playing Dota 2. Some negligible things are that lane creeps are pretty damn big compared to hero units, and nomenclature of heroes isn't always standard. In LoL most heroes are called by name (Malzahar, the Prophet of the Void) whereas in Dota, you refer to a hero mostly by their occupation/title. Yurnero the Juggernaut, Krobelus the Death Prophet. Some exceptions like Zeus the Lord of Olympia or Rikimaru the Stealth Assassin.

Coming from Heroes of Newerth? Read this.

HoN has a very close relation to DotA, at least in it's early life. Over time its changed its but it still retains a lot of likeness and it the closest game to DotA between it and LoL. It does have it's differences thought. The HoN Wiki has a pages dedicated to what is the same and what is different between DotA and it. Check it here: http://honwiki.net/wiki/DotA_vs_HoN

Fucking helpful resources!!!
    Welcome to DotA. You suck! A must read for newbies.
    How to play Dota 2 in 4 Minutes A must watch for newbies.
    Ultimate Guide to Warding If you don't read this guide and take close notes you're a terrible, bad person.
    Dota 2 Wiki One of the best reference sites you'll find. Pretty much up to date within the hour of a new patch.
    The Guide section of PlayDotA Sort by rating. Use the highest rated guides. Still applicable to Dota 2.
    PSA! JUNGLING ETIQUETTE
    PSA! SUPPORT ITEMS AND YOU
    PSA! U-U-U-UTILITY PART 1
    PSA! U-U-U-UTILITY PART 2
    PSA! GO AROUND AND KILL
    PSA! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN CARRY PART 1
    PSA! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN CARRY PART 2
    PSA! AREA OF INFLUENCE
    PSA! POWER TO THE PUSHER
    PSA! SUPPORT OUR SUPPORTS
    PSA! ROAM AGAINST THE MACHINE
    Reddit "Hero Discussion of the Day" Top voted posts generally have valuable info about the hero.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Late Late x 7Winner Winner x 5Informative Informative x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    [img][b][color=red]Fuck this isnt HTML[/color][/b][/img]
    February 2009
    1,566 Posts
    How is this late, the other thread is locked.
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1152190
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

3. Post #3
    February 2005
    16,613 Posts
    Because I never check this section and forgot about remaking it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,507 Posts
    New thread smell?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,827 Posts
    I like Ursa when my team is good. Last round I went 12/3/20 for it. I could have gotten more if it wasn't my first time playing him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,270 Posts
    How is this late, the other thread is locked.
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1152190
    because ratings matter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,180 Posts
    I just started playing LoL and am loving it, but I really wish I could play Dota2 :saddowns:

8. Post #8
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,400 Posts
    So which thread do we use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events

9. Post #9
    February 2005
    16,613 Posts
    This one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,270 Posts
    this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

11. Post #11
    February 2005
    16,613 Posts
    I just started playing LoL and am loving it, but I really wish I could play Dota2 :saddowns:
    You should play HoN in the meantime instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2010
    4,961 Posts
    In the words of wasp:
    [bro]Wasp: lose a match - play until you win
    [bro]Wasp: win a match - wants to play more
    [bro]Wasp: wtf is with this gaaaaame
    Edited:

Also just finished a game where razor with a tank build carried his team to victory.
    He was really really stupid, like running into fountain in the end of game just to gank. He just got mad lucky he had so much health to throw around.

13. Post #13
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,400 Posts
    In the words of wasp:

Edited:

Also just finished a game where razor with a tank build carried his team to victory.
    He was really really stupid, like running into fountain in the end of game just to gank. He just got mad lucky he had so much health to throw around.
    well, what you do as razor is steal enemy carry's damage, so that build ain't wrong

need to tank that shit yo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,180 Posts
    You should play HoN in the meantime instead.
    Excuse the ignorance, but how is HoN different? Gameplay, or just skins?

15. Post #15
    February 2009
    1,566 Posts
    Gameplay is a little slower in Dota compared to HoN, characters that got ported to HoN have different stat changes and ability changes, S2 op heroes and items.

Otherwise core mechanics and map is the exact same.

Edited:

In the words of wasp:

Edited:

My face when someone says Strength is a better stat for survivability than Agility is on an Agi hero.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,912 Posts
    Gameplay is a little slower in Dota compared to HoN, characters that got ported to HoN have different stat changes and ability changes, S2 op heroes and items.

Otherwise core mechanics and map is the exact same.

Edited:

My face when someone says Strength is a better stat for survivability than Agility is on an Agi hero.
    Agility only gives survivability against autoattacks, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

17. Post #17
    February 2009
    1,566 Posts
    Agility only gives survivability against autoattacks, though.
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Cloak

You should really only need Magic survivability early game.
    Otherwise there are different items that can help with survivability like a Eul's, Force Staff, BKB, etc.

18. Post #18
    February 2005
    16,613 Posts
    The gameplay is closer to DotA than LoL is, so when you do finally get into the beta everything you learned in LoL isn't completely invalidated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

19. Post #19
    September 2011
    892 Posts
    Invoker is by far the most fun hero, useful, and extremely fun. If anyone wants to queue with a pretty competent midgame carry invoker add me, or just add me in general, im done queuing with really bad people.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,447 Posts
    I love Drow ranger & Windrunner. That is all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    February 2005
    16,613 Posts
    If I see another Lion build Agh's first I'm gonna find him and fucking kill him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    May 2008
    4,738 Posts
    Is there a dedicated thread for begging for a beta invite for dota 2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #23
    February 2009
    1,566 Posts
    Welcome, good luck with it.
    Valve doesn't give friend invites anymore I believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    May 2008
    4,738 Posts
    Welcome, good luck with it.
    Valve doesn't give friend invites anymore I believe.
    Even if they don't give them out anymore there must be some left over from when they did + the Christmas give-away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #25
    I am so sick of lifestealer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,270 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Late Late x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    February 2010
    5,421 Posts
    I just got invited :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2009
    8,507 Posts
    We should have coordinated, that was an easy win lol.

29. Post #29
    Cyberpunk Member
    August 2006
    3,520 Posts
    I am so sick of lifestealer.
    Why's that? He's awesome, slapping everybody with his sexy (bloodred) claws/hands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

30. Post #30
    April 2009
    8,507 Posts
    Why's that? He's awesome, slapping everybody with his sexy (bloodred) claws/hands.
    He probably plays pudge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,959 Posts
    Any suggestions for Tiny? I'm trying to figure out how to use him appropriately.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,709 Posts

First game as Invoker. He's awesomely fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,270 Posts
    Any suggestions for Tiny? I'm trying to figure out how to use him appropriately.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...toss_properly/

34. Post #34
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts

4th game of DotA 2

3rd game that I've gone undefeated

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,270 Posts
    32 minute game where not one carry has over 100 last hits uguhugghuhg

the horror.

36. Post #36
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    2,014 Posts
    32 minute game where not one carry has over 100 last hits uguhugghuhg

the horror.
    Pub games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,866 Posts
    I was wondering today, who was the most item dependent hero in all DOTA.

My vote goes to Syllabear(Lone Druid).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Guatemala Show Events

38. Post #38
    February 2005
    16,613 Posts
    I was wondering today, who was the most item dependent hero in all DOTA.

My vote goes to Syllabear(Lone Druid).
    Medusa, hands down.

Sometimes ganks just go so well.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Late Late x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,709 Posts

Carry Witch Doctor up in this place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events