1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,621 Posts
    I'll get a better name for it later
    You post your GMod WIP Contraptions here. Good place to get some constructive criticism. Balto's OP from last thread:
    Balto posted:
    To those that don't know the drill, this thread is for posting contraptions that you are currently working on or contraptions you've made that are too minor to warrant their own thread. It generally gets pretty big, and is a great community assimilator.
    [h2]The past WiP threads:[/h2]
    Post Your Current WIP!: V.2.0.1
    Post Your Current WIP!: V.2 "We're pretty much a guild of fucking wizards."
    Post Your Current WIP!

[h2]Useful building tools[/h2]
    Weight tool [WORKSHOP LINK, confirmed working in GM13]
    Wiremod (also get this, or you'll see a lot of errors) [confirmed working in GM13]
    Advanced Duplicator 2 [confirmed working in GM13, can have minor issues like saving problems]
    Fading door tool [WORKSHOP LINK, confirmed working in GM13]
    MakeSpherical [confirmed working in GM13]
    Lua wheels (wheel2) (If you have to choose between lua wheels and MakeSpherical, take MakeSpherical) [Deemed out of date]
    Parenting tool WORKSHOP LINK, confirmed working in GM13]
    Karbine's Improved Multi Parent [Out of date]
    Parenting tool [confirmed working in GM13]
    Nocolide All [Out of date]
    Wenli's tools [Out of date]
    ACF [Confirmed working in GM13]
    Fin2 [DROPBOX LINK, confirmed working in GM13]
    HERE IS A TOP TIP: Rename info.txt to addon.txt in order to make some old stuff launch in gm13.

[h2]Useful building model-packs[/h2]
    SProps (get it, you'll see a lot of errors without [Confirmed working in GM13]
    Wiremod (also get this, or you'll see a lot of errors) [confirmed (SORT OF) working in GM13]
    ACF Mobility [Confirmed working in GM13]
    Jojobull's Wheel pack [Confirmed working in GM13]
    Steering wheel pack [Confirmed working in Gm13]
    Tank wheels [Confirmed working in GM13]

[h2]Useful building tutorials[/h2]
    Jackpody's Tutorials
    How to parent buttons and press them from a far / while seated
    The MakeSpherical Basics

Karbine's Tutorials
    Multi Parenting Tutorial
    Moving large parts of a contraption
    Right click axis & axis/ballsocket linedraw
    Mirroring props in Precision Allignment
    How to: Anti-rolls bars!

MrWhite's Tutorials
    Suspension (and steering) tutorial Part 1 | Part 2
    Balancing your engine
    The BDD System
    The BRD System
    Steering wheel tutorial
    Elastic Placement for Traditional Chassis Building
    How to Install ACF
    Building an Engine | Part 2

General building tutorials and neat stuff
    Copying Materials in GMod

So yeah, get posting! My Jeep because my WIP is on another computer atm.

Transcript of OP http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54754401/OP%...cript%20V3.txt
    Anything you guys think needs a mention in OP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 7Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    528 Posts
    First attempt at something that flies:

Cockpit:

Also why was the other thread closed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic x 9Winner x 3Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,593 Posts
    Damn, I almost got to make the new thread.

Ooh, one post away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,621 Posts
    Still setting this thread up so it'll be prettier later.

Edited:

http://i39.tinypic.com/nxqnic.jpg
    Cockpit:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/5nm2wm.jpg

Also why was the other thread closed?
    Auto close for threads with 30+ pages every first day in a month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    366 Posts
    O new thread.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Estonia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Woop , carry on the tradition!

I shall soon get a powerplant in the Corsair and post

Cockpit:
    I approve

Edited:
    Wip thread is the best thread

Edited:

How about "You must construct additional tanks"
    or "We require more vespine planes"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2009
    2,129 Posts
    "Garry's Tanks: Tank Building Simulator"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    JDB
    July 2007
    2,854 Posts
    Updated my mek for all these planes im now seeing

also added a self destruct that deactivates the e2 when the ammo lights up
    aka it falls over and dies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    Add some useful tools and links to them to the op. It might help new builders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,621 Posts
    Add some useful tools and links to them to the op. It might help new builders.
    Good idea. I'll do that tomorrow.

Edited:
    I'm in Sweden what.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,458 Posts
    So I go the second last post in the old thread, and asked for a tutorial on how to power something with an engine, not how to make an engine, sorry for the misunderstanding :v

Edited:

I think I got an idea of how to do it from some of mrwhites videos..

anyway does anyone have a package/list/svn of what tools to use for building engines?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,621 Posts
    I'm making the list now for the most used addons for building shit so you should look back in a moment. There's probably more addons that's good for building engines than I can list though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,458 Posts
    Well for engines I'm not so much into yet, I just wanna build some cars for now, seems more simple.

Edited:

but thank you for doing a list :)

14. Post #14
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts

Edited:
    I'm in Sweden what.
    So, what's it like to be in Sweden?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2007
    88 Posts

Edited:
    I'm in Sweden what.
    You can't enjoy staying in Sweden, it's freakin' cold here! Where in Sweden are you? :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Corsair combat ready with four alternate firing 30mm HMGs. Retracts by way of fading door. It even stalls realistically if it pitches too sharply out of relative wind, though I have no idea how I got it to do that, I certainly didn't strike out for that, but it kind of pleases me. Feels strikingly similar to Il-2.

It just won its first dogfight against Phoenix's spitfire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,621 Posts
    Beautiful. Can I get a close shot of your windscreen design?

Edited:

also I added a bunch of neat tutorials for building shit. there's also a transcript of the OP if someone needs to quote it in another thread when this one is closed at 30+ pages in the future.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,458 Posts
    I tried to do that BRD system, could not do it to save my own life, and then once I thought I got it working, it just sprung back and forth... maybe I should just stop trying.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    528 Posts
    Added a bomb bay:

And size comparison:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,593 Posts
    There shouldn't be any reason to ever use PHX 2 metal props, yet I see that you have some on your wings there. Please don't tell me you like that texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    There shouldn't be any reason to ever use PHX 2 metal props, yet I see that you have some on your wings there. Please don't tell me you like that texture.
    also they eat your fps more than flat plates
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Beautiful. Can I get a close shot of your windscreen design?

Edited:

also I added a bunch of neat tutorials for building shit. there's also a transcript of the OP if someone needs to quote it in another thread when this one is closed at 30+ pages in the future.
    Will do, give me a bit. Maybe even a video, perhaps a dogfight.

Edited:
    Oh look imageshack forces registration, time for a new host
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

23. Post #23

July 2008
    850 Posts
    Yes, let's destroy the server with our 500+ prop dogfights again :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,636 Posts
    I want to know how you guys build these working vehicles so accuratly... all I get when I make something is "Nice" or doesn't work properly and I have to redo it all..

Do you guys use specific stuff to build the vehicles?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    I want to know how you guys build these working vehicles so accuratly... all I get when I make something is "Nice" or doesn't work properly and I have to redo it all..

In terms of props or tools? Tool wise I use a mix of Percision Alignment, Easy Precision, and careful, manual physgun placement. In terms of props, we are usually using phx flat or superflat plates in useful and explosive in combination with phx tubes in specialized. Detail props are usually vanilla

26. Post #26

July 2008
    850 Posts
    Arachnophobia, now with two extra legs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2009
    2,129 Posts

Nah man, we use the tank tool.

no, I use vanilla and PA

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,117 Posts
    Working on a hatchback; my first car. The suspension's bottomed out with the weight of the engine and gearbox so the height looks a bit off.

A proper side shot would probably be better than stupid angles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic x 2Disagree x 1Winner x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Close shot of windscreen, as requested:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts

underpowered, undergunned, and overarmored
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2009
    599 Posts
    I can get my tanks moving quickly, but the grip isn't there. I try to climb a hill and it just slips down as if it was on ice. I've tried playing with the weight but the engine I have just spins the "tracks" and doesn't move.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2010
    132 Posts

This is Bettler's and MrWhite's Trial Truck, finally completed. Specs in the video!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 2Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    underpowered, undergunned, and overarmored
    Now you're building the Red way!

Also, if threads closed after 30 pages auto at the end of a month, how'd we get the 130+ page original post your wip?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    129 Posts
    *vid*

This is Bettler's and MrWhite's Trial Truck, finally completed. Specs in the video!
    Man that thing is awesome, great work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    JDB
    July 2007
    2,854 Posts
    pow mek

silly 105
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    Now you're building the Red way!

Also, if threads closed after 30 pages auto at the end of a month, how'd we get the 130+ page original post your wip?
    All threads close after one month.

Edited:

big threads I mean
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

37. Post #37
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    883 Posts

I'm just wondering, what magic did you use on the gearbox??? I do want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,593 Posts
    Well, it was just my own transmission expression, the one that actually works properly and doesn't add any extra power to the drivetrain. For that vehicle, it had 4 gears with the lowest being 1/10, a low-rpm lockout anti-stall system, and a few other bells and whistles like an auto-clutching system that I worked on a bit to clutch off the drivetrain during certain conditions (high speed braking, mostly). Took a while just to get the code the way I wanted it, since anyone that has ever looked at my E2s know how awful I am at it.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts

Patrol boat, going to have HMGs for top gunners, turrets on the bow and stern with either ACs, cannons, or GL's. Side gunners will have GLs or mortars. I do intend on fin/ACF powering and controlling it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    883 Posts
    Well, it was just my own transmission expression, the one that actually works properly and doesn't add any extra power to the drivetrain. For that vehicle, it had 4 gears with the lowest being 1/10, a low-rpm lockout anti-stall system, and a few other bells and whistles like an auto-clutching system that I worked on a bit to clutch off the drivetrain during certain conditions (high speed braking, mostly). Took a while just to get the code the way I wanted it, since anyone that has ever looked at my E2s know how awful I am at it.
    So basically now, you have a working 1/10 reduction scripted gearbox which works without spazz?

Oh you, I'll do anything to get that ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events