[release]What is Killing Floor?
Killing Floor is a pseudo-horror survival game in which you take the role of some wankers to shoot bloody big guns at a bunch of bloody Millwall fans in Croydon, on a Friday night.
The game is focused around 6 player coop in which you and a team of mercenaries hired by British Government take on up to 10 waves of oncoming enemies, gradually getting harder. You earn money from kills, and spend it on sodding big guns to take on the oncoming horde of Zeds.
There is a feature called ZED-time, which makes everything awesome and cool – slows down the game for a few seconds and lets you gather your senses too.[/release]
[release]What are these “Zeds” you speak of, what do they do?
Simple really, these guys are all fur-coat no knickers. They’re the genetically mutated horde of enemies produced by Horizine, these bloody idiots have taken over Britain – and it’s your job to wipe them out.
Click the enemy for in-depth analysis from the Wiki
Some extra details in order of appearance:
• THE CLOT This cunt is not to be laughed at, they might be easy to kill and spawn all the time, but watch these buggers because they will grab onto you and not let go (Unless you’re the Berserker class). They move fairly quickly and can overwhelm you if you’re not careful – always a hazard in crowded areas.
• THE GOREFAST The Gorefast is probably causes the most deaths to last men standing in the game, since he always spawns and moves incredibly quickly he’s a target you must get rid of, his sword blurs the players vision and obviously deals quite a bit of damage because of his quick ‘double swipe’ - as with all enemies in this game – lethal even in small numbers.
• THE BLOAT
This fat bugger will puke up highly acidic vomit, partially blinding you for a short time – not to be gotten close to in any circumstance. The bile will slowly chip away at your health and cause a slight disorientation to the player – this bile also spews out when he is popped (i.e. killed) and can also inflict damage to enemy units.
• THE CRAWLER This little fucker is probably one of the most annoying cunts in the entire game, seriously – they’re lower than every other enemy, jump at you and claw off your face, and because of this – become very difficult to shoot. Not only that, but because they can spawn in vents and so forth – they appear ALL THE TIME, IN THE WORST PLACES IMAGINABLE.
• THE STALKER These guys can cloak and move fairly quickly, they do a fair amount of damage but because they stick out so much to somebody that has a keen eye and have low health – they’re fairly easy to deal with. Commandos have the ability to spot this enemy at a further range.
• THE SIREN This bitch is equally annoying - take her out the moment you see her as her piercing scream blows your mind, blurs your vision and doesn't stop until you either out run her or kill her - I REPEAT, KILL THIS BITCH AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN
• THE HUSK Oh, this guy – spawns from round 2 and shoots fire. Do not under-estimate the powers of a husk, their aim is dead-on and the flames are a nuisance to anyone under a large amount of attack from enemies – this is a H.P.T (High priority target) you must take this out as quickly as you can in order to stop yourself from losing a large amount of health.
• THE SCRAKE This guy is the 3rd toughest enemy in the game, wielding a chainsaw and having a large amount of health makes him another H.P.T, however it is best to take him out from a distance, with a weapon such as a crossbow, AA12s can tank them, but only on lower difficulties (such as 3 player hard difficulty, or normal difficulty). Berserkers do have the ability to stun them, this is usually the favoured tactic.
Has a resistance to explosives.
THE FLESHPOUND This guy takes the most firepower, a slow walking (until enraged) enemy that has meat grinders for arms, literally has no weakness what-so-ever other than explosive weapons, even then that’s barely enough as when he becomes enraged you best evacuate your current area, or engage him – either way you’re probably screwed. Two usually spawn on round ten. Favoured tactic of slaughter is a crossbow from a distance.
DO NOT FUCK WITH THIS ENEMY.
THE PATRIARCH This guy is the boss, the big baddie, the end of the game – for you or him – there is no way out. Has a chain-gun and a rocket launcher for an arm, yeah, that’s right. He can cloak and regenerate health as he sends out his minions to fight, has a powerful melee attack and run very fast when cloaked. He will tear you apart and has no weakness other than constant firepower. Entire team needs to be dedicated to taking him down.
Favoured methods of annihilation is pipe bombs + explosives or a berserker sandwich (which involves everyone attacking with a melee weapon as a berserker)
[release]WHO DO YOU PLAY AS?
You play as a wide variety of characters, from a fancy British guard to a priest cleansing the living undead, the full list can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/
Yeah, this game uses a perk system, which gives you upgrades as you progress, and weapons as you reach the higher levels, they include:
Click the class icon for in-depth analysis from the Wiki
Some notes in order of appearance:
•Medic, who can heal his teammates with great efficiency, and has stronger combat armour - also runs quicker.
•Support Specialist, who uses shotguns and specializes on welding doors. They also get more carrying weight
•Sharpshooter, who uses accurate weapons and specializes on taking out specific targets.
•Commando, who uses rapid fire weapons such as ak-47's, and can see enemy health and cloaked stalkers.
•Berserker, who uses melee weapons rather than guns. He's quite fast and can stun specimens when he's a high enough level.
•Firebug, who specializes on making everything burn to a crisp. He also gets fire grenades mixed in with explosives.
•Demolitions, who gets the weapons that are great at making big explosions. They have the downside of being rather expensive and causing large smoke clouds to appear - this is sometimes dangerous for players that are camping as it disrupts vision.
Quite surprising for a game like Killing Floor is that it has an awesome soundtrack, but I suppose if you think how devoted Tripwire are to sound design I guess it makes sense:
[release]CAN I RUN THIS GAME?
Yeah, probably, if you can’t you’re from 1998 or something.
Minimum System Requirements:
• OS: Windows 2000/XP/Vista
• Processor: 1.2 GHZ or Equivalent
• Memory: 512 MB RAM
• Graphics: 64 MB DX9 Compliant
• Hard Drive: 2 GB free hard drive space
• Sound: DX 8.1 Compatible Audio
Recommended System Requirements:
• OS: Windows 2000/XP/Vista
• Processor: 2.4 GHZ or Equivalent
• Memory: 1 GB RAM
• Graphics: 128 MB DX9 Compliant with PS 2.0 support
• Hard Drive: 2 GB free hard drive space
• Sound: Eax Compatible[/release]
[release]BUT WAIT THERE’S A LITTLE BIT MORE!
Killing Floor is supported by one of the best developers in the world, providing interesting, high quality and new content from time to time – killing floor started off with a few weapons and 5 maps, since then has sprawled into 33+ weapons, 170 achievements and an officially supported SDK, for you to mod to your heart’s content.
EVENTS AND COOL STUFF
Throughout the seasons Tripwire provides seasonal content, from the best Christmas update, to fresh and interesting Halloween and summer events.
We have had:
• WINTER 2010 – New maps, new achievements and a new character to play as.
• SUMMER 2011 – A new map, more achievements and a new character to play as.
• HALLOWEEN 2011 – A new character to play as + some new achievements.
• WINTER 2011 - A new map, more achievements and seven new weapons.
• SUMMER 2012 - A new map, more achievements and and 5 new weapons from the IJC Weapon pack, Harry Enfield and 4 new characters. [/release]
• Each event has had changes to the enemies too, from carnival themed enemies in the summer, to Christmas themed enemies in the winter, Killing Floor is packed full of fun, and is supported (again) by one of the best developers out there.
And remember kids!