1. Post #1
    March 2006
    4,109 Posts

Large threads get closed ~every month. Here's the new one.

[release]This thread is part of a series of similar threads, all of which are meant to be a safe haven for all artists, no matter if you're unsure of your ability and don't want to make a thread, are lazy and don't want to make a thread, or tend to get yelled at when you make a thread but feel like your work needs to be posted anyways.

Previous Thread List:
    v1 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/874501
    v2 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/951319
    v3 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1053150
    v4 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1081881
    v5 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1105624
    v6 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1152100
    [/release]

What should I post?
    If you post any photos here, expect to learn from your mistakes. We are here to help you improve and give you a little praise to help you along the way, don’t be expected to be treated as a photography god though. As long as the photos are something you are proud of, and have some sort of artistic qualities to them, feel free to post them. Just don’t post a huge batch of drunken point and shoot photos from your nightclub antics.

Example of a good post:
    I did a photoshoot with a new model today, experimenting using my wireless flash.
    1-5 artistic photos including Flickr links at 640x420 or 1024x680

Could I get any criticism for these photos, should I do some changes to x in photoshop?
    This poster would reply to criticism and improve themselves upon it.

Example of a bad post:
    Hi guys my photos are better than yours, check out my amazing HDR!!!
    5+ filter rape, overdone HDR, drunken point and shoot, etc photos at 1024x680+
    This poster would ignore all criticism and continue to think they are amazing.

Why should I post here instead of making a thread?
    Often if you make a thread it is a gallery of five or more photos of which people may praise or give light criticism, if you post your photos in here you will often receive more useful criticism.
    Furthermore if you have less than five great photos to show off, you should probably just post them in here instead. If you don’t think your photos are good, then people in here will be happy to help you improve (don’t cry in the corner, just post your photos!).

Don’t post photos unless you are going to give criticism to others!
    If you see any photos you like of dislike, please give criticism. Criticism is far more value-able to a photographer than praise, so criticise even the tiniest of flaws in a photo!
    Don’t post your own photos without giving criticism to others, as that is rather rude. Also, if you are going to post photos listen to criticism given to you and don't throw a hissy fit if someone tells you something you don't like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,250 Posts
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

4/52 by Gotnoodles, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,573 Posts
    hey man just a tip expose your subject correctly and get a more interesting subject, it will benefit your photos greatly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2008
    734 Posts
    Thanks for the helpful before/after comparison. When you're taking the non-subject surrounding pictures, do you physically move on a horizontal plane? Or do you just turn the camera, such as being on a tripods tilt head?
    Just turn the camera as if it was on a tripod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    November 2008
    2,220 Posts
    can i post my photos from the last thread? it was like the second to last post and i wanted some critique on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,573 Posts
    can i post my photos from the last thread? it was like the second to last post and i wanted some critique on it
    if you want critique then of course go for it.

I edited this one again, its a tricky one. But its hopefully a little better.

11.365 by marley h
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    March 2006
    4,109 Posts
    stop knocking off bopie guys
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

8. Post #8
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,594 Posts
    so much boop

he's very inspiring, you can't deny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,073 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    4,974 Posts
    dat new thread taste

a kid and his goat by Jacob A. Mann, on Flickr

more goat and hippie child pics to come
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

11. Post #11
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,794 Posts
    love the thread title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    March 2006
    4,109 Posts

11.365 by marley h
    coming back to this photo, I thought I had accidentally selected it because of the washoutiness
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2012
    17 Posts
    Example of a bad post:
    Hi guys my photos are better than yours, check out my amazing [SUB]washed out undersaturated picture(s)[/SUB]!!!
    5+ filter rape, overdone [SUB]washed outness[/SUB], point and shoot, etc photos at [SUB]any resolution[/SUB]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2006
    4,109 Posts
    I've got another example of a bad post:

Example of a bad post:
    Hi guys my photos are better than yours, check out my amazing [SUB]washed out undersaturated picture(s)[/SUB]!!!
    5+ filter rape, overdone [SUB]washed outness[/SUB], point and shoot, etc photos at [SUB]any resolution[/SUB]
    Stop being a dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2012
    17 Posts
    I've got another example of a bad post:

Stop being a dick.
    How are overdone washed-outness and udnersaturation of colors any better than overdone HDR? They're both quick and easy ways to make crappy point-and-shoot shots look "artsy" used by crappy amateur photographers who don't actually want to learn the craft before they "jump in" do whatever the hell expecting their work to be good. They're both processes used to make up for lack of actual photographic quality.

Edited:

There is literally no difference between making your photos look "washed out" and making them HDR, except of course for the fact that one of the schools of thought thinks itself superior to the other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,368 Posts
    edit: Forgot there was a thread for pets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    11,926 Posts
    The overly "washed out" thing happens a lot on tumblr, but I haven't seen it much on FP.

It can look "washed out" and still look great if done by someone who knows what they intend for the photograph to look like from the start, using it well can be a good way to isolate the subject.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2012
    17 Posts
    The overly "washed out" thing happens a lot on tumblr, but I haven't seen it much on FP.

It can look "washed out" and still look great if done by someone who knows what they intend for the photograph to look like from the start, using it well can be a good way to isolate the subject.
    Just like HDR can look good when used appropriately, but that doesn't mean that either are ever appropriately used.

Edited:

Also may I direct you to the old creative photography thread and the film thread, where washed-out pictures flow like water from a fountain of crappy amateurish work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,073 Posts
    Just uploaded this:

Sydney by edwin.quast, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,336 Posts
    Jealous of how much you travel.

Edited:

Did you get my message about Cargo?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #21
    March 2006
    4,109 Posts
    How are overdone washed-outness and udnersaturation of colors any better than overdone HDR? They're both quick and easy ways to make crappy point-and-shoot shots look "artsy" used by crappy amateur photographers who don't actually want to learn the craft before they "jump in" do whatever the hell expecting their work to be good. They're both processes used to make up for lack of actual photographic quality.

Edited:

There is literally no difference between making your photos look "washed out" and making them HDR, except of course for the fact that one of the schools of thought thinks itself superior to the other.
    I wasn't saying you shouldn't criticise, but don't do it like an asshole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    385 Posts

I really have a temptation of going inside this place but... There's a sign that says no trespassing... Hnggghh, the urge...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,073 Posts
    Jealous of how much you travel.

Edited:

Did you get my message about Cargo?
    I did, I did.
    Sent them a message, they said yes. I'm gonna sit on it for a while, see if that baby can hatch at some point in the next year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2012
    17 Posts
    I wasn't saying you shouldn't criticise, but don't do it like an asshole.
    But it's okay to do it like an asshole if you are criticizing HDR rather than criticizing washed-out pictures. Because HDR is totally inferior and stupid, whereas washed-out effects are totally cool looking, and artistic, and chill, man. And they're definitely not both two means to get to the same end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    4,974 Posts
    I am a man of my words:

DSC_0108 by Jacob A. Mann, on Flickr

DSC_0089 by Jacob A. Mann, on Flickr

DSC_0117 by Jacob A. Mann, on Flickr

EXTRA ACTION SHOT

DSC_0080 by Jacob A. Mann, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2009
    814 Posts

32/366 by KayGeeCee, on Flickr

Repost from 365 thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

27. Post #27
    November 2008
    2,220 Posts
    Just uploaded this:

-sydney pic-
    looks awesome man, really sharp! it almost looks 3D but that might just be the fact i've just woken up but regardless i like it:)

-hand holding camera image-

Repost from 365 thread.
    OCD niggle but i personally think it would look better if you rotated it slightly so that the camera is perfectly horizontal, but thats just me

repost from last thread:

inspiration has struck for the first time in about a week!!

also, any thoughts on the formatting? i figured it beat the standard flickr links spaced 2 lines apart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,573 Posts
    coming back to this photo, I thought I had accidentally selected it because of the washoutiness
    I'm not sure if that guy is referring to my photo about the washed out look too, but ah well aha. It's washed out cause i was trying a new look because keeping it contrasty wasn't as pleasing imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,908 Posts

11.365 by marley h
    There's a lot I like and a lot I don't like. I love the wave the light is reflecting off the leaves on the ground and how is subtly changes as you go further back. I also love the clipped blacks on your jeans, really makes you blend in with the ground (in a good way). Love the setting too btw, that oof hanging branch in the back center is awesome. Finally I like how you sort of lead the viewer's eye to the branch on the right with your line of sight. However, I really dislike to the degree you've faded the blacks, and it seems you haven't made any effort to work around the fading either (subject is too dull, ground lacks definition, this could have been counteracted by upping the lights but I guess the background is too bright for it - a good thing to think about when choosing background). The background is way too eye catching and the subject is hard to make out (a good rule of thumb is if you're going to under expose the subject, the background has to be bright and vice versa, if you can't see the subject really clearly when you squint, the viewer can easily get lost in the photo).

I know that probably sounded really harsh but I think you're on the right track, keep plugging at it until you hit the spot :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

30. Post #30
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,676 Posts
    So I took 100 steps from my house and this is where I landed, I gave myself around a 5-10 meter radius of where I could take photos

DSC_0233.jpg by Dannimagn, on Flickr

DSC_0216.jpg by Dannimagn, on Flickr

DSC_0234.jpg by Dannimagn, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Iceland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,573 Posts
    Constructive Criticism
    Thanks for the kind words first of all, i like the concept of the photo but i think i made some mistakes which brought it down a lot. Upping the lights did indeed overexpose the background to an unusable extent, and in future I'm gonna be more careful on what my subject is directly in front of, in frame. The location was the most annoying part, as i had struggled to find anywhere decent. About the washed out look, was just trying something new which didn't turn out too great, a learning curve if you will. I can post a few more from the day that may have been better choices, if you'd like to see.

It wasn't harsh at all, i appreciate comments like that more than you'd think. After all it's a 365 and I'm always looking to improve and learn.

Edit: I think i prefer this other one, might switch around my flickr entry. Surely thats okay for a 365 cause i did take it yesterday. I'll post it here and see what you guys think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,573 Posts
    Different photo, and different editing style. Would love to hear your opinions over the other one.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    The colors are kinda boring, looks like a photo that wasn't post-proccesed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2011
    150 Posts

Manchester airport, Christmas day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 19Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    November 2008
    2,220 Posts
    Different photo, and different editing style. Would love to hear your opinions over the other one.
    I personally preferred the colder colours but the bokeh in this one is gorgeous!!

also, can i please get some feedback on my above post?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,573 Posts
    I personally preferred the colder colours but the bokeh in this one is gorgeous!!

also, can i please get some feedback on my above post?
    Thanks, I'm gonna post another. Im torn between three right now.

Yeah your photos seemed like more of a play around, and a test rather than something artistic. personally i don't find light painting like that very artistic, maybe if you got outside and did something a little more time consuming you might have a more interesting image. I don't mean to be harsh, all the best.

38. Post #38
    November 2008
    2,220 Posts
    thanks man, i see what you mean. i was actually just experimenting with new ways to do light painting and wanted some opinions :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,573 Posts

12.365 by marley h
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Cold tones on that one are really nice because not only is she dressed for the mood, but her eyes are also blue so it really makes them stand out. Nice.

Do dislike the bottom left. The entire rest of the frame is clear save for that spot. Slightly distracting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)