1. Post #1
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,194 Posts

[HR]Let me introduce you to Windows Phone 7[/HR]
    Windows Phone 7 Is a mobile operating system made by Microsoft. Rumored to have started in 2004 going by another name, That was canceled but in 2010 Microsoft resumed development, it was launched in late 2010
    With some good, solid minimum requirements. Your phone shouldn't be sluggish and unresponsive. Unless you are running lugs of crap on it.
    There aren't too many apps out, But the ones that exist are typically well made.

Now here are some of the best selling hardware, And my favorites:
    Nokia Lumia 800

Built pretty darn well, Has the same processor and amount of ram as the HTC titan. And it just looks snazzy

HTC Titan

A big 4.7 inch screen with a 480x800 display, With a reasonably thin 9.9mm body, Packed with a single core 1.5 GHZ qualcomm processor and 512 MB of ram. I can't decide whether to like it or hate it. I probably would need to get my hands on one and see if I like the feel of it.

HTC Radar

A minimalistic approach, It looks nice.
    However it is a bit underpowered, and only 8GB max of storage.
    Regardless though, it is one of the cheaper WP7 phones.

Here are some links you may enjoy

XDA developers WP7 forum
    WP8, Posted by the god of the windows forum, Panda X
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts
    Hmm, you should put a little more effort into the thread, it doesn't have that New Thread Smell :( Plus you forgot to add the Nokia Phones, by far the most sexy looking of all.

Edited:

btw guys, it's happening!

The login actually works, but there's nothing else coded, so of course it won't do anything...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Hmm, you should put a little more effort into the thread, it doesn't have that New Thread Smell :( Plus you forgot to add the Nokia Phones, by far the most sexy looking of all.
    You can use my image for the OP if you want:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2009
    2,190 Posts
    I really need a job so I can get one of these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,194 Posts
    Hmm, you should put a little more effort into the thread, it doesn't have that New Thread Smell :( Plus you forgot to add the Nokia Phones, by far the most sexy looking of all
    I'll get right on it when I get home.

6. Post #6
    September 2007
    580 Posts
    Been thinking of getting a WP7 to replace my old iPhone 3g, my budget is around $250 AUD and I'm thinking of buying from eBay.

Any suggestions?
    Re-post from last thread

7. Post #7
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts
    Re-post from last thread
    You should definitely get the Focus (1st Gen), great looking phone at 210$ new on amazon, performs like a charm too (Like every windows phone) and it's the easiest (along with the Omnia 7) to jailbreak.

8. Post #8
    September 2007
    580 Posts
    You should definitely get the Focus (1st Gen), great looking phone at 210$ new on amazon, performs like a charm too (Like every windows phone) and it's the easiest (along with the Omnia 7) to jailbreak.
    Amazon posted:
    Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses.
    Damn, no support for Australia...

Seems I can get it from eBay for US $238.
    I'll continue watching it.

Any other suggestions before I decide?

9. Post #9
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts
    Damn, no support for Australia...

Seems I can get it from eBay for US $238.
    I'll continue watching it.

Any other suggestions before I decide?
    can't you use some of those services that ship from the US to anywhere? Though if it's to australia the shipping might be more expensive than the actual phone

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,768 Posts
    So finally have my lumia :)
    First thoughts after a day.

Feels great and slick. Everything runs smooth. Honestly was surprised at how good the keyboard is. Usually when trying out friend's androids and iphones I had massive issues typing.

But what compared to my old w995 it feels the camera can't last anything. Though it might be with me having 3g and wifi on currently. Will have to try it with them off.

Zune is so so, kinda annoying that I can't just throw the music and vids on the phone that I want though. Mostly since I have a complex folder system for music on my pc for foobar and tags tend to be a bit fishy.

But it's nice that I can directly synch anything from avi videos to more or less any format if I have the coxes and it will get on the phone playable.

The on phone zune is a bit confusing though. I'm not entirely sure how to turn it off.

Did a quick look at apps as well. Kinda shame that the best looking IRC app seems to loose server connection any time the phone locks. Quite a shame really.

Last thing I don't terribly like, is how it seems to make all normal sim numbers into live ID's

Groups and accounting linking is very nice though.

One big criticism to nokia though - why do they have a problem directly including a flashlight app. It seems they are the only ones that refuse to do so.

can't you use some of those services that ship from the US to anywhere? Though if it's to australia the shipping might be more expensive than the actual phone

I'd be more worried about supported network bands to be honest.

Overall though I think Nokia is doing a really good job of becoming the main wp7 manufacturer. Mostly due to the fact, that they seem to be doing unique handsets. The rest are seemingly using their android phones and just loading them up with wp7 instead. Or at least in a way that looks very similar.

The lumia looks like a wp7 phone I guess. With the colours being the same kind of strength.

The only other phone I've yet seen that has a similar grade of finsih was the is12t from fujitsu I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2007
    580 Posts
    I'd be more worried about supported network bands to be honest.
    Aparently my provider supports
    3G Network Band 2100MHz / 900MHz
    2G Network Band 900MHz / 1800MHz

And according to the eBay page the focus supports
    General2G NetworkGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 19003G NetworkHSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

If I remember correctly using shipping companies to shop from us to Australia was expensive, it would be cheaper to buy from my eBay source

my god this was way too hard to type up, would of been faster to turn my laptop on

12. Post #12
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts
    Aparently my provider supports
    3G Network Band – 2100MHz / 900MHz
    2G Network Band – 900MHz / 1800MHz

And according to the eBay page the focus supports

If I remember correctly using shipping companies to shop from us to Australia was expensive, it would be cheaper to buy from my eBay source

my god this was way too hard to type up, would of been faster to turn my laptop on
    If facepunch lags on my Omnia, can't imagine how much it lags on the iPhone 3G
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,791 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts
    Now I wonder if our 1st gen phones will get the update :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,768 Posts
    Uh this looks nice
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/ap...?wa=wsignin1.0

From the article
    One of the key criticisms about the current Windows Phone ecosystem is the strict set of guidelines that Microsoft has established for phone handsets, which allow few opportunities for manufacturers to differentiate on a hardware level.

How is that a criticism. That's one of the best points about wp7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,432 Posts
    Now I wonder if our 1st gen phones will get the update :(
    I really hope so and I do think so. Splitting up the OS after just one major update seems like a bad move.

17. Post #17
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,194 Posts
    Think this OP is better?

Anyways, I hope the old handsets get the update too.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    um

OP posted:
    [Lumia 800]Built pretty darn well, but the hardware is about identical to the HTC titan
    Apart from the extra inch difference in screen size? really they are about as different from each other as you can get in Windows Phone land.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,768 Posts
    um

Apart from the extra inch difference in screen size? really they are about as different from each other as you can get in Windows Phone land.
    Well the different screen size might mean a bit different battery capacity. To be completely honest, either I have dainty fingers and pockets, but I can't imagine handling a phone that's any bigger than the lumia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    November 2008
    230 Posts
    anyone knows when Tango 1/2 are supposed to come out?
    I read it's gonna add more languages which I desperately need (since there's no keyboard support for my native language atm).

also, is there any way to keep WiFi alive when the phone is locked? I looked everywhere online and couldn't find a way to do so. so if anyone knows a way, or knows if this feature is gonna be available in future updates, do share! thanks.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,768 Posts
    anyone knows when Tango 1/2 are supposed to come out?
    I read it's gonna add more languages which I desperately need (since there's no keyboard support for my native language atm).

also, is there any way to keep WiFi alive when the phone is locked? I looked everywhere online and couldn't find a way to do so. so if anyone knows a way, or knows if this feature is gonna be available in future updates, do share! thanks.
    You sure it dosconnects - I tried having IRC on via mibbit and IE and it didn't disconnect when I locked the phone. Most other apps do though. So I'm assuming it;s an application that's not allowed to run behind the lockscreen as opposed to the wifi turning off.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    No the wifi does turn off when you lock the phone, then automatically turns back on when you unlock it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,768 Posts
    Uh weird question, I just noticed that all the songs in albums are seemingly ordered by alphabet and not tracknumber.

I can't find an option to order them correctly anywhere. Does anyone know how to do it, apart from renaming all %title% tags?

EDIT

It seems to play them in the right order when selecting album view, bu shows them alphabetical when viewing the songs of the album, Odd.

24. Post #24
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts
    Uh weird question, I just noticed that all the songs in albums are seemingly ordered by alphabet and not tracknumber.

I can't find an option to order them correctly anywhere. Does anyone know how to do it, apart from renaming all %title% tags?

EDIT

It seems to play them in the right order when selecting album view, bu shows them alphabetical when viewing the songs of the album, Odd.
    Must be an issue with the tag info of the tracks. My guess is that when the tracks don't have "track number" zune orders them alphabetically. Check if the tracks have "track number" on the meta info

25. Post #25
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Shouldn't they be focusing on Windows Phone 8, and less on 7?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,768 Posts
    Must be an issue with the tag info of the tracks. My guess is that when the tracks don't have "track number" zune orders them alphabetically. Check if the tracks have "track number" on the meta info
    I have fairly meticulous tagging. Like I've said, if you play the album itself it plays them in the correct order, if you look at the songs in it (only ways I found is tap album name>swipe to songs) it lists them alphabetically.

27. Post #27
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,194 Posts
    Shouldn't they be focusing on Windows Phone 8, and less on 7?
    Eh, It's not necessarily done. And the details are scarce. One of my favorite things is the claim that it will be incredibly simple to port applications from windows 8 desktop to windows phone 8 because of how similar they are, Maybe we will see a big bump in apps.
    My fear for that is that, some programs won't make the transition well. But we will see eventually.

28. Post #28
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Eh, It's not necessarily done. And the details are scarce. One of my favorite things is the claim that it will be incredibly simple to port applications from windows 8 desktop to windows phone 8 because of how similar they are, Maybe we will see a big bump in apps.
    My fear for that is that, some programs won't make the transition well. But we will see eventually.
    Unless ARM and x86 are really easy to cross-compile, how are they "similar", I don't understand this. :/

29. Post #29
    September 2007
    580 Posts
    One last question, but this is a pretty big thing for me.
    Is it possible to reply to text messages whist in another app?

eg. I'm browsing the web or playing a game and someone texts me, am I able to respond without leaving said game/browser?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

August 2008
    2,905 Posts
    No, but if your app supports the Mango update, then you'll be able press on your text message, reply, then run back to multitask to resume your gaming session where it left off. Or just press the back button.

But I would just use multitask after you reply to your text, just in case.

31. Post #31
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,194 Posts
    Unless ARM and x86 are really easy to cross-compile, how are they "similar", I don't understand this. :/
    Well, that was one of the things microsoft was bragging about.

32. Post #32
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    No the wifi does turn off when you lock the phone, then automatically turns back on when you unlock it.
    This is one of the most annoying parts of WP7 for me, I hate it when I don't get notifications because my phone is in sleep mode.

33. Post #33
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,368 Posts
    Man, I wish there was something like the Galaxy Note with WP7.

34. Post #34
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,820 Posts
    HTC Titan's about as close as you'll get

35. Post #35
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,368 Posts
    Well, not close enough, sadly.
    Also I hope that WP8 will have more optimization for larger screens, like allowing 3 columns of tiles or something.

Edited:

Also, Lumia 800 is so damn sexy.

36. Post #36
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    This is one of the most annoying parts of WP7 for me, I hate it when I don't get notifications because my phone is in sleep mode.
    I agree, that would be annoying as fuck not getting text messages from a Wi-fi app, or Facebook messages. I want Wi-Fi enabled even when sleeping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,432 Posts
    I agree, that would be annoying as fuck not getting text messages from a Wi-fi app, or Facebook messages. I want Wi-Fi enabled even when sleeping.
    I'm not too keen on this really, I'm not gonna look it up till the morning after, so what's the rush? Besides, it'd probably change battery life a fair bit.

38. Post #38
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    I'm not too keen on this really, I'm not gonna look it up till the morning after, so what's the rush? Besides, it'd probably change battery life a fair bit.
    When my phone is in my pocket I'd like to be able to receive emails still. Besides, if you have network data enabled it still checks in the background. WP7 just doesn't use WiFi in the background.

39. Post #39
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,820 Posts
    I consistently have wi-fi and 3G running. I get plenty of battery life with moderate usage. My Trophy only has a 1350mAh battery. I don't know what you guys are talking about

I know it constantly pushes emails to my phone in sleep mode too

40. Post #40
    August 2010
    856 Posts
    I want that answer from a wp7 user who used android long enough:
    Are wp7 mobiles good enough or better than android in usuability and performance? And does it have good free apps?
    But at leasr: for average use( music + net) does it feel very slick and straightforward?