1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    This is based off Sobotnik's Empires and Revolutions. But mainly Van Keao's World in Balance, I give most of the credit to him. It can be found here: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1160376
    This is my first time attempting somthing like this, so go easy on me

How to join:

PM me with this sheet filled out:

Civilization Name:
    Civilization make up: (This is where you tell me what species make up your civilization, Please be reasonable about it and don't make them overpowered or like 500 feet tall squid people, Just make them humanoids or close to it.)
    Civilization belifes: (Religion, Gov't type, Etc.)
    Civilization Emblem: (250x150 flag. No other sizes will be accepted.)
    Color:(Don't use black, white, or grey)
    Location: Crop the map down and put a dot where you'd like your home planet to be. (Don't forget to name your home planet!)

I will be starting this game Friday morning around 11am EST. People are free to join before and during the game, but you will be behind other players if you join late.
    (The 1st turn will be in introductory turn, stating each civilization and how they came to be.)

After the 1st turn, send me a PM with this info:
    Subject: [Civilization Name]: Turn #

Technological Research:

Military Endeavours:

Economic Endeavours:

Galactic Diplomacy:

Planetary Affairs:

Setting: The time is about 200 years in the future in a fictional galaxy far away. Civilizations across the galaxy have just began to harness galactic travel. These Civilizations have no idea that other intelligent life forms exist in the galaxy, but they are beginning to expand and search for habitable planets and resources.

Technology: Just like Van Keao's game, You may research up to 3 things at once. Whether or not you succeed is based on a 1-100 number roll on www.random.org. If you roll 1-50, you succeed. 51-100 you fail. I work down the list, if you fail to research technology 1, you go on to technology 2, and then 3 if you fail again. When you succeed at researching a technology you stop research for that turn. These civilizations have just harnessed efficient space travel, All civilizations only have projectile weapons and only have fighters and corvette sized ships, that will change however in time. So please be wary of that, and don't immediately start building Death Star sized ships and weapons. Take it in baby steps.

Things that are not technology research
    -Money
    -Trade
    -Gov't affairs
    -Anything that isn't a tangible development

Things that ARE technology research
    -Improved weaponry
    -Upgrading ships
    -New Ships
    -Improved tech
    -etc.

Don't write giant paragraphs, write simple turns as so:
    Technology:
    -Tech 1
    -Tech 2
    -Tech 3

Military:
    -Invade civilization/planet X
    -Build orbital station/ Ground defenses around planet X
    -Expand the Civilization to the North into unclaimed territory

Economy:
    Establish trade route between planet X and Y
    -Raise taxes on planet X

Diplomacy:
    -Declare war on Civilization X

Internal Affairs:
    -Wipe out resistance on planet X
    -Impose law X on all planets
    (These are just examples, but follow the basic idea they set.)

The Map:

Empty areas are unclaimed, claimed areas will be encircled with the civilizations color encircling it. Planets will represented by a square shape, the color of what civilization controls it. Fleets will be small circles, color of their civilization. And space stations and other space-esque vehicles will be an X and labeled what they are. As your civilization expands, you will discover more planets, which I will put on the map. Unclaimed planets will be grey.

Units:
    Your fleets will be represented by small circles. One dot is one armada of ships. Every 2 turns your planets will produce a fleet.

Because this is my 1st time, Please offer me suggestions!

2. Post #2
    Country RPs, country RPs everywhere. Glad to see you went through with it.

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    I'll join this one, too, if I can basically be the Great Race of Yith. Which requires that my entire species can transfer their consciousness through spacetime and swap bodies with any being at any time at any place.

I'm sure that's "overpowered" however.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    I'll join this one, too, if I can basically be the Great Race of Yith. Which requires that my entire species can transfer their consciousness through spacetime and swap bodies with any being at any time at any place.

I'm sure that's "overpowered" however.
    Yeah....Don't do that. A combined consciousness is okay. But not the body-swapping thing.

5. Post #5
    Can I still play as the squid futa women with acid semen?

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    Can I still play as the squid futa women with acid semen?
    No. This isn't rule 34 thread.

7. Post #7
    Fuck this game, then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 28 (list)

8. Post #8

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    How about I play if I can, in time, develop that ability?

10. Post #10

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    How about I play if I can, in time, develop that ability?
    Sure, But soon as you do squid lady planet is gunna get hit by an asteroid

12. Post #12
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    July 2010
    22,196 Posts
    Oh god what have I started.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    So I have 1 person playing so far. Come on guys :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    August 2008
    4,666 Posts
    Hey Vosk I suggest using two types of maps. Planetary maps for each player's homeworld and then each world they colonize and spread on, and then a master map that has all the planets and solar systems in it, but simplified, like in Spore's space stage.

I'll join later tonight after work though.

Edited:

I could actually do the map(s) if you like, and let you focus on the game itself. I have a set of rules in Photoshop that let me create worlds very quickly with random continents and oceans and lakes and shit.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    I would love that VK.

16. Post #16
    So I have 1 person playing so far. Come on guys :/
    Is that me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    I'll more than likely join after class. I just gotta put some thought into what I wanna do/be. I'll get some great ideas, as I'm going to my astronomy class located in a planetarium, I'm sure, so once I'm back.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,392 Posts
    Wow I had this exact same idea for a thread this morning on the bus.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    Then join please! Just PM me the info.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    914 Posts
    Hey Vosk I suggest using two types of maps. Planetary maps for each player's homeworld and then each world they colonize and spread on, and then a master map that has all the planets and solar systems in it, but simplified, like in Spore's space stage.

I'll join later tonight after work though.

Edited:

I could actually do the map(s) if you like, and let you focus on the game itself. I have a set of rules in Photoshop that let me create worlds very quickly with random continents and oceans and lakes and shit.
    I think the game will play unneccisarily slowly if you force every player to not only settle his own planets continents. You might spend 15 turns taking your own planet which might take between 15 and 30 days and then still be 25000+ lightyears from the nearest person, which is simply too far for a race of beings who have just entered the space age.

I'm also going to join.

21. Post #21
    June 2011
    349 Posts
    Something tells me to bring the Krogans
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22

January 2010
    1,214 Posts
    Vogons
    Let me read you some poetry.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    I planned it so all civilizations will have complete control of their home planet. The planet maps are for if a civilization's home planet is invaded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    Sent in.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,787 Posts
    The great race of Yiffians. Oh boy.

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    The great race of Yiffians. Oh boy.
    YiTH.

I knew this would happen. I WARNED ME ABOUT THAT YIFFING BRO, I WARNED ME.

27. Post #27

January 2010
    1,214 Posts
    YiTH.

I knew this would happen. I WARNED ME ABOUT THAT YIFFING BRO, I WARNED ME.
    WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED.

28. Post #28
    June 2011
    349 Posts
    WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    8,661 Posts
    I AM LRR FROM PLANET OMICRON PERSEI EIGHT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    914 Posts
    Just finished sending VOSK the biggest fucking PM ever. <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2008
    4,666 Posts
    I think the game will play unneccisarily slowly if you force every player to not only settle his own planets continents. You might spend 15 turns taking your own planet which might take between 15 and 30 days and then still be 25000+ lightyears from the nearest person, which is simply too far for a race of beings who have just entered the space age.

I'm also going to join.
    Except you start with your homeworld 100% colonised unless you work out a deal with another player where you share a planet from the start.

You'd only have to work at colonising newly discovered planets which only makes perfect sense.

There's no reason you can't colonise planets AND expand in space. Armadas and Armies are different units.

32. Post #32
    fucking incredible
    September 2008
    1,596 Posts
    I'm going to join this, I just need to set up first.

33. Post #33
    August 2008
    4,666 Posts
    And with that, the Imperial Veran Empire has begun.

Some information for you chaps.

Verans are a race of bipedal humanoids averaging at two and a half to three metres tall with binary respiratory and cardiovascular systems. They have rough, thick skin ranging in colours from blue-grey to pitch black with bright orange veins showing under some parts of the skin. Their faces are teardrop shaped with angular and very pointy chins that extend down into their necks. Unlike the rest of their bodies, the skin on their face is very smooth and somewhat shiny, with a hard ridge down the middle from the forehead to where the mouth would be, and three sets of eyes on either side.

They look very similar to This minus the wings and glowy arms/midsection.

Verans worship the Dark Goddess Inara, the personification of all the decay, death, and destruction in the universe from black holes to genocide to volcanoes to a simple murder. They believe that with devout worship (and a firm hand in society) they can avert most crises.

They are not outward with their religion. If you don't worship, that's fine. They don't care. However if you plan to live permanently on any Veran settlement worship is mandatory. Their religion is non-restrictive aside from base morals such as no murder, rape, etc. There is no such thing as repression of sexuality or science. Science flourishes under this religion, and all sexualities are seen as equal (Largely due to the fact that Verans are all laboratory grown instead of raised by families. No worries though, they're not clones! Still takes the chromosomes of two parents to make a child).

Their homeworld is Solusta Hazus. Solusta Hazus, meaning "Dying Home" in the language of the planet, is a terran planet roughly one and a half times the size of Earth. It is arid and dry over 80% of the planet's landmass with seas covering only roughly 40% of the planet. The other 20% of the planet's landmass are the last lush forests and grasslands of the world, located at the North and South poles. It has never snowed on Solusta Hazus and rainfall outside of the poles is estimated at less than a millimetre per year. Many large landlocked salt lakes exist in the lower regions of the planet due to the receding seas. Tall, proud mountain ranges run along the planet's arid regions, extending hundreds if not thousands of miles before receding. The tallest mountain, Ovorus Khailor, named after the first person to scale it, stands at just over 10,200 metres.

Originally a 'garden world' with two moons keeping it in perfect balance, it became an arid wasteland when a comet collided with the larger of the two moons, breaking it into three large pieces, knocking the planet off balance and destroying most of the ecosystem. Some time after the cataclysmic event, the three pieces and the smaller moon managed to stabilize the planet again on a 0 degree vertical axis. The Verans adapted quickly to this change, moving most of their settlements underground or to the poles. After having spent several generations trying to fix the problem, and having found that it is impossible, the population voted to give up and strip the planet of its' resources before starting a mass exodus to a new colony.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    July 2010
    22,196 Posts
    Mary Sue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2011
    349 Posts
    Sounds like if someone were to meet that race they would say "Well are you scientific? No? Dirty primitive fools" from their high thrones in their fancy garden full of rainbows and exotic flowers

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    Oh yea? well, I look like this:

Hm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2008
    4,666 Posts
    I fail to see how you think they're arrogant. They're quite nice really.

And Sobotnik how the hell are they mary sues?

Edited:

Oh yea? well, I look like this:

Hm.
    D:

38. Post #38

January 2010
    1,214 Posts

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    914 Posts
    Huge post of informations and stuffs
    In the interest of full disclosure, here you go!

Civilization Name: Vandura (IE - The people of Vandura, or the Vanduran people).

Civilization make up: Several types of sentient beings have learned to live in peace on the Vanduran home planet of Tambor and habitable moon of Kyrr.

The original inhabitants of Tambor are the Hygarth.

The Hygarth are a highly intelligent race but are very weak physically. They stand to be 5 feet 6 inches tall on average and weigh an average of 55kg. They have highly attuned senses that developed as a result of their physical defects through evolution and to this day their reflexes border with pre-cognition. They Hygarth are relatively few in numbers considering the size of the planet they inhabit (2.2 times the size of Earth), there are only 19.8 million Hygarth across the entire planet. During their equivalent age of discovery they learned of the existence of civilisation on the orbiting moon of Kyrr, at this point the sole goal of the Hygarth was to establish contact with the inhabitants, to do this the Hygarth build highly advanced robots to do the general day of life work that was needed to survive, this allowed the Hygarth to dedicate their entire collective intelligence toward making contact with their neighbours.

These robots are known as CK88 class units and number at 105.3 million. The CK88 class robot is a complete artificial intelligence and are not programmed for specific work and can be simply told to do something and they will do it. The CK88 are a non-aggressive robot and share their creators passion for peace and discovery as a by-product of their inventors. They stand at 6 feet 2.2 inches and tower over their creators. A standard CK88 class robot will weigh 87.4kg. Despite their standing and purpose in society the Hygarth have always treated CK88 robots will uttermost respect and would even consider the CK88 robots to be like sons.

The final race of sentient life that make up the Vanduran people are the Rhauks. (They are the original inhabitants of the moon, Kyrr).

These beings are brutal by nature but are completely loyal. Their loyalty has developed over thousands of years of society being run by the most powerful of them, this created a cult of respect for that person and this generates intense loyalty. The Rhauks are 7 feet 1 inch tall and weight on average 112kg. The Rhauks are very physical and outstanding fighters however they lack the incredible levels of intelligence possessed by the Hygarth. As a result it was the Hygarth that first met the Rhauks and after several decades of development a Hygarth solar-shuttle landed on the surface of Kyrr. From that day onward the Rhauks and Hygarth have considered each other brothers and the planet of Tambor and the Moon of Kyrr have highly mixed society's. At this moment the planet of Tambor is inhabited by 26.4 million Hygarth, 41.7 million Rhauks and 167.7 million CK88 class robots. Also at this moment the moon of Kyrr is inhabited by 6.6 million Hygarth, 81.5 million Rhauks and 53.2 million CK88 class robots.

Civilization belifes: The Vanduran people do not hold any religious beleifs. They simply care about discovery. They care for peace but by no means are pacifists, if something gets in their way or threatens the Vanduran people they will fight to stop it. The people of Vandura operate under a democratic system of elected officials. Those officials would then select someone as their leader who would make executive decisions for Vandura.

Color: #2266ff

My flag:

A render of Tambor and Kyrr (Image_Thumb):

And where I'm going to be!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    The Great Race of Yith, or Yithians, are 15-foot-tall conical highly intelligent creatures. In the past, they collectively replaced their consciousness with that of their current host. A single Yith's body can live for thousands of years, but their consciousness can live eternally as long as there is a body to host it. It is prophesied that in the future, the Great Race will again unlock their ability to move their consciousness freely again, in order to avoid a certain doom their ancestors had foreseen.

The Great Race lives on the planet Yith (surprise), which is Earth-like and strewn about with grey vegetation. The Great Race are very scientific-minded, and have developed their art and scientific understanding greatly. Their society exists in several major cities on Yith, and the entire Race is contained within these few cities. The Yith are mostly peaceful, having long since abandoned the ways of war after nearly being defeated by rival races ho have came in contact with them from across the stars.

Yith government is lead by a selection of technocrats, enacting a classless benevolent fascist society. The bodies of the Great Race need little nourishment, and their society is well-developed enough that it does not require regular labor, allowing the Great Race to spend its time researching, recording, and enacting science from its enormously huge data centers. It is a common practice of the Yithians to extract the consciousness of other beings from other points in spacetime and place that consciousness for an extended stay in a Yithian body, where it will have free movement through the Great Race's cities and society, in return for recording any and all information it can in the Yithian archives and data centers. So far this extraction technology is not precise enough to "aim" it, and the consciousness transfer is only temporary.

The physiology of the Ythians themselves is rather basic- a toughened, but soft, skin covers the entire cone. Feelers at the end of a tentacle/stalk allow for the sensing of touch, smell, and sight, but not sound nor taste. A grasping claw allows for gripping or potential combat. A four "petaled" tube is used to absorb nutrients, which is rarely needed. Their internals are mostly brain, with several hearts pumping blood through the body at different speeds depending on the need. Oxygen is taken in by osmosis through the skin's outer membrane and it distributed directly to the blood.

The number of Yithians is under 30,000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)