The rifle I mentioned in my Skyrim helmet thread arrived today, and it's actually in a LOT better condition than I thought. Rusty and dirty for sure, but very little actual pitting, even more surprising is there was very little rust pitting under the barrel.
Another nice surprise is the action was already free, I was able to open and close the breech without any problems though it was a little sticky and was able to pull the trigger as well, though the trigger weight was more than a little extreme so we'll see if that's because of the dirt or if the rifle really has that stiff a trigger.
Unfortunately I forgot to check my camera's resolution setting and it was taking 640x480 images. Oh well, I'll remember to bump it up when I take more pictures, you'll still get the idea.
Here is the rifle as I got it:
Looks terrible doesn't it? Well, yes and no, most of the grime you see is basically 100+ year old packing grease which has turned into a combination of dirt, dust, oil and grease which shall hereafter be referred to as "Grud", under all of that caked on garbage is some pretty good looking metal. Some steel wool should make short work of the worst of the caked on grud that a soapy bath doesn't get.
First thing I did was take off the front barrel band, this was just held in place with a pin, grud and friction and slid right off after I tapped out the pin.
Next I removed the rear barrel band, this was the only screw on the gun that gave me any real trouble. This one was frozen solid by rust so I added a drop of Hoppe's #9 oil and put some muscle behind it. Took about 10 minutes of turning the screw back and forth to work the oil down into the threads before I was finally able to get it out.
This looks bad, but after closer inspection the underside of the barrel turned out to be perfectly smooth and shiny, not a trace of rust. The only rust I did find was on the sides of the barrel and this was fairly minor, I'll snap a better picture of the rust damage tomorrow.
The rest of the gun came apart nicely, some of the screws had little more than shallow V shaped notches cut into them, something few if any modern screwdrivers fit into, but with some careful persuading I was able to get those out and the action came apart nicely.
Tomorrow I'll wash all the parts in some hot, soapy water and get the rest of the grud off after I make a trip down to the hardware store for some pipe cleaners and steel wool. I'll also clean the bore and see what kind of a state that's in, from what I can see though it's not too bad, at least on the lands. The other thing I noticed with the bore is the rifling has a REALLY fast twist, it looks more like a screw and less like rifling! I've never seen rifling like that so it'll be interesting to see how that performs when I can put some lead down the barrel.