1. Post #1
    May 2011
    90 Posts
    Hello, so I just got 500 SEK from a guy that wanted som help with c++ questions.

The question is, can I now call myself a professional c++ programmer or a professor in c++? :O

Btw, the questions was stuff you learned at day 1. LOL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Optimistic Optimistic x 9Funny Funny x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

August 2011
    192 Posts
    the title professional is not protected in any way so call yourself one.
    expert is another word that is not protected

so this makes me a professional expert in programming!

3. Post #3
    December 2011
    34 Posts
    Simple rule: you don't call yourself a professional. Wait for other ones to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

4. Post #4
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,526 Posts
    Calling yourself "a professional c++ programmer" only makes you sound like a douchebag.

you need to create a portfolio, so people know what you are able to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    It's like claiming you're a pro hacker, you're not even a hacker let alone pro unless other people recognize your work so it's pointless to self-entitle yourself, it just makes you look weak...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

August 2011
    192 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the thread starter wasn't that serious, otherwise sry for the not so serious answer ;p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    978 Posts
    Professional doesn't have anything to do the skills you have. Professional means that it's something that you can/do use as a profession. I've met plenty of people that worked with programming/IT/etc./etc. but didn't know damn about it. They're professional because it's what they earn money on, not because of their skills. "Expert" is related to skill, not to whether or not you earn money on it.

So yes, technically you can call yourself a professional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    June 2008
    1,243 Posts
    I don't think a one-time payment counts as a profession. If you go around calling yourself a "professional C++ programmer" and someone finds out it really means "someone paid me a little money once", they'll feel that you misled them, and think less of you for it. Wait until you have a regular job doing C++ development.

I wouldn't recommend calling yourself a professor unless you actually have a teaching job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    If you're a programmer by profession, and have qualifications to support it, then I'd say it is acceptable to call yourself a professional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I wouldn't recommend calling yourself a professor unless you actually have a teaching job.
    To be more specific, a doctorate and a teaching job at a university.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts
    I think using the word "professional" requires that your primary source of income is from said profession and that you can actually live off these earnings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2006
    42 Posts
    If you're a programmer by profession, and have qualifications to support it, then I'd say it is acceptable to call yourself a professional.
    That would be correct if you removed the part about qualifications. If you have a profession, by definition you're a professional.
    As stated above though, it certainly doesn't imply you're actually any good at what you do...