1. Post #1

November 2010
    122 Posts
    Picked up a 04 Detectives vic with 85k. Had it for about 2 days ,pretty sweet car
    pic

I have a few things i need to fix. but wat do first.

Before purchase mechanic said the diff had a slight slight slight SLIGHT leak in it, and should be addressed eventually.

also said plugs/coils were original, and should be replaced

also said a small exhaust leak had formed, i have not taken it to inspection yet but depending on the results of inspection this might be further towards the top

the radio in the car is AM/FM only. no cds.
    i purchased a thing that plugs into the cigerette lighter an makes a radio station for your mp3s. but eventually i would like a double DIN touch screen radio.

I am going to be addressing these things as I get money I can spend on it, I have $500.00 I can dedicate to fixing up the car.
    What do first?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dip
    June 2009
    1,042 Posts
    Picked up a 04 Detectives vic with 85k. Had it for about 2 days ,pretty sweet car
    pic

Before purchase mechanic said the diff had a slight slight slight SLIGHT leak in it, and should be addressed eventually.

also said a small exhaust leak had formed, i have not taken it to inspection yet but depending on the results of inspection this might be further towards the top

i purchased a thing that plugs into the cigerette lighter an makes a radio station for your mp3s. but eventually i would like a double DIN touch screen radio.

I am going to be addressing these things as I get money I can spend on it, I have $500.00 I can dedicate to fixing up the car.
    What do first?
    ...wow.

How much did you pay for this?

3. Post #3

November 2010
    122 Posts
    $3,000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,410 Posts
    differential or the exhaust first, radio last.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,967 Posts
    differential or the exhaust first, radio last.
    Plugs first, diff second, exhaust third, radio last.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    737 Posts
    Replace plugs, wires, and do an oil change.

You may want to have a mechanic do the plugs because its easy to strip the threads on those cylinder heads.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,464 Posts
    diff last
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,591 Posts
    Get some mustang cobra rims.

Badass everyday
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,903 Posts
    First thing I would do is put it in the bank and start saving up for a T56 swap.

10. Post #10
    VAG Lover
    June 2010
    2,762 Posts
    First thing I would do is put it in the bank and start saving up for a T56 swap.
    Dude it's his first car WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY.

It's going to get hammered into shit, bottomed out, curbed, and treated like shit when it run's, but love it when it start's to idle or run weird.

(That's if he is like most people that get there first vehicle)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,903 Posts
    Dude it's his first car WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY.
    Because a manual is just better. It's tougher, it's simpler, it's lower maintenance, it's better on gas(The manual in my truck makes the difference between 12MPG average and 17MPG average), it's more reliable, and it forces teens to pay attention to what they're doing behind the wheel. The only valid reason for a driver to not know how to drive one, IMO, is if the driver lacks the use of their left leg or right arm.

I think every first car given to any able-bodied driver should have one, and they shouldn't be allowed into an automatic until they're proficient with the manual. As long as they know how to drive one I don't care if they never touch a clutch pedal again for the rest of their lives.

It's going to get hammered into shit, bottomed out, curbed, and treated like shit when it run's, but love it when it start's to idle or run weird.
    What your peers do to their cars is not an accurate indicator of what every first car goes through. Mine never had any of that done to it, and I made it a point to keep it running as well as I could.

Besides, manuals put up with that type of shenanigans far better than automatics do. They're simpler, they're tougher, and they don't have a fragile oil pan waiting to get ripped off. They're often the last part of a car abused in that manner to let go, the clutch usually gives up first, and that's a cheap and relatively easy replacement for whoever rescues it. You can get some damn good cars for pennies this way. Pop a clutch in it, do the brakes and plugs, and it's good as new.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    My first car was mint from the day I bought it to the day I sold it, never put a scratch on it, and I delivered pizza in that thing for half a year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    I bottomed out but i was trying to catch air.
    I got stuck in sand because rallycar
    I destroyed my sidewall doing donuts
    I broke my foglight trespassing in some parking lot
    I raped the tread on my front right tire from ripping skids

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,739 Posts
    I hit a Scion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    I think a vic would of won that battle

(of hitting a scion)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16

November 2010
    122 Posts
    I do plan on taking care of it, but i felt like the P71 was a good choice bc its at a good enough price point and the body isn't perfect already, plus it has well documented bulletproof reliability. (no really, i think the doors have kevlar in them)

so i can still have fun

so far going to do the plugs and coils
    differential
    and exhaust leak
    then a double din radio

recently purchased a center console and floor mats, pics soon xoxo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,903 Posts
    I bottomed out but i was trying to catch air.
    I got stuck in sand because rallycar
    I destroyed my sidewall doing donuts
    I broke my foglight trespassing in some parking lot
    I raped the tread on my front right tire from ripping skids
    So you abused your first. Doesn't mean everyone else does.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Those vics man... They are the most simple yet best looking cars that you can see in a large number.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Please take care of a Vic, they're awesome. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    IT WAS ONLY $1 SO WHY NOT BUY A TITLE?
    March 2007
    3,102 Posts
    So you abused your first. Doesn't mean everyone else does.
    Just because a few car enthusiasts treat their first car like royalty doesn't mean everyone else will. I do
    see his point in that a large majority of people with their first car will rip around in it, hit curbs,
    etc. It's their first car and even if they don't drive wildy, accidents will happen.

21. Post #21
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,466 Posts
    jesus christ, why did you buy a used CVPI. I drive one 3-times a week and let me tell you, they drive them to hell and back.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,903 Posts
    Just because a few car enthusiasts treat their first car like royalty doesn't mean everyone else will. I do
    see his point in that a large majority of people with their first car will rip around in it, hit curbs,
    etc. It's their first car and even if they don't drive wildy, accidents will happen.
    For every one abused car I saw at my high school I saw ten in excellent shape.

Just because you've seen a few abuse their first doesn't mean everyone will.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,607 Posts
    I love crown vics, there are po-po auctions all the time around here so I bet i can find one

24. Post #24
    March 2011
    639 Posts
    Yeah, the state police around here are always auctioning them off for super cheap. It'd be cool to grab a cheap one just as a beater or something.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    161 Posts
    Respect! Good thing you didn't get a CamCord or something boring like that.

26. Post #26
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts

Im the fucking hoon master and understeer my way to class/ work nearly every day

gotta shred the tread, thats what its there for nyga.

27. Post #27
    IT WAS ONLY $1 SO WHY NOT BUY A TITLE?
    March 2007
    3,102 Posts

I don't think you understood my point. I didn't say every new driver will ABUSE their car. I said most new drivers will bump into things,
    scrape the rims, get in a minor accident, etc etc. It's bound to happen, either from their driving or someone else's that they fail to avoid.

28. Post #28
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,498 Posts
    pic

What do first?
    It looks like it still has the lights under the grill??

29. Post #29
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    9,899 Posts
    It looks like it still has the lights under the grill??
    Just hidden extra lights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30

November 2010
    122 Posts
    Just hidden extra lights
    Disconnected, still has the strobe controller.
    I might hook those lights up for fogs.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    161 Posts
    I don't think you understood my point. I didn't say every new driver will ABUSE their car. I said most new drivers will bump into things,
    scrape the rims, get in a minor accident, etc etc. It's bound to happen, either from their driving or someone else's that they fail to avoid.
    I've been driving for over six years and I have not once been in an accident or scraped my car and I don't have any speeding tickets. My friends have never been in accidents and they're fairly good and responsible drivers (most of them at least). You make it sound like new drivers are somehow bound to hit things.

But I do know a girl that's completely bat shit insane in traffic. Her dad bought her a new Volvo C30 that she totaled within the first two months. After that her dad bought her a BMW 1-series that's already banged up from every corner and she somehow broke the doorhandle (!). Her latest victim was her dad's Jag XK that she totaled in a rollover accident that almost killed her. I can't believe how she still has her license.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,498 Posts
    I always thought that the PDs removed all that shit. Now I want one...

33. Post #33

November 2009
    15,466 Posts
    I always thought that the PDs removed all that shit. Now I want one...
    They remove a lot of shit. But some of it just isnt worth it. (like the spot light)

34. Post #34
    March 2008
    9,899 Posts
    So they're the police lights?

I thought they were something like this:

just smaller

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,607 Posts
    They remove a lot of shit. But some of it just isnt worth it. (like the spot light)
    They leave the spotlight because it's simpler and cheaper to leave it on and not need to fill the hole it would leave.

I would totally use it to fuck with people i know

36. Post #36
    March 2008
    9,899 Posts
    They leave the spotlight because it's simpler and cheaper to leave it on and not need to fill the hole it would leave.

I would totally use it to fuck with people i know
    They wouldn't leave a hole. They're behind the grill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37

November 2010
    122 Posts
    They wouldn't leave a hole. They're behind the grill
    He was talking about the spotlight, for the strobes and grille lights they just cut the wire . For the spotlight it would leave a half dollar sized hole in my A-pillar. Plus they are legal to have so long as your not an idiot about it. So why not?

console

rolled 86,000 :D

headlights

floormats :D make a hell of a difference since it has no carpet.

38. Post #38

November 2009
    15,466 Posts
    He was talking about the spotlight, for the strobes and grille lights they just cut the wire . For the spotlight it would leave a half dollar sized hole in my A-pillar. Plus they are legal to have so long as your not an idiot about it. So why not?

console

rolled 86,000 :D

headlights

floormats :D make a hell of a difference since it has no carpet.
    I drive one of these bitches for my department. I really dont like them. Just something about how the power-steering is..

39. Post #39

November 2010
    122 Posts
    I drive one of these bitches for my department. I really dont like them. Just something about how the power-steering is..
    Ford PS pumps are shitty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40

November 2009
    15,466 Posts
    Ford PS pumps are shitty.
    It seems to just be on that model. My 88' Vic's PS is so strong. I can drive with my pinky