1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,111 Posts

[release] A small but growing number of teens and even younger children who think they were born the wrong sex are getting support from parents and from doctors who give them sex-changing treatments, according to reports in the medical journal Pediatrics.

It's an issue that raises ethical questions, and some experts urge caution in treating children with puberty-blocking drugs and hormones.

An eight-year-old second-grader in Los Angeles is a typical patient. Born a girl, the child announced at 18 months, 'I a boy' and has stuck with that belief. The family was shocked but now refers to the child as a boy and is watching for the first signs of puberty to begin treatment, his mother told The Associated Press.

Accepting his identity has been difficult for both parents, the woman said. Private schools refused to enroll him as a boy, and the family's pediatrician refused to go along with their request to treat him like a boy. They found a physician who would, Dr Jo Olson, medical director of a transgender clinic at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.

Pediatricians need to know these kids exist and deserve treatment, said Dr Norman Spack, author of one of three reports published on Monday and director of one of the nation's first gender identity medical clinics, at Children's Hospital Boston.

Gender-reassignment surgery, which may include removing or creating penises, is only done by a handful of US doctors, on patients at least 18 years old, Dr Spack said. His clinic has worked with local surgeons who've done breast removal surgery on girls at age 16, but that surgery can be relatively minor, or avoided, if puberty is halted in time, he said. [/release]

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_768680.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Dumb x 116Friendly x 15Funny x 7Winner x 6Optimistic x 2Informative x 2Late x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    I believe that the choice to change sex should be legally made no sooner than 18 years old. This includes puberty blocking. A young child is not someone who has the mental capability to make these kinds of choices for themselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 278Dumb Dumb x 21Disagree Disagree x 17Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,151 Posts
    which may include removing or creating penises
    I laughed heartily at this.

On topic: what in the blue fuck makes children these days so convinced of their own maturity that they think they can make life-changing decisions like this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 73Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2010
    2,325 Posts
    How can you decide that you don't want your balls when they haven't had time to drop yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 79Funny Funny x 17Zing Zing x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,656 Posts
    Yeah I don't think this should be a thing. Historically, Gender Identity Disorder in children expires as the child approaches adulthood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 46Disagree x 3Informative x 2Useful x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    I laughed heartily at this.

On topic: what in the blue fuck makes children these days so convinced of their own maturity that they think they can make life-changing decisions like this?
    Because as a child you have no concept of how you'd think as an adult, obviously. It's not like an eight year old thinks "oh wait I better myself ten or so years to mull this over, I'm not that mature after all".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts
    I believe that the choice to change sex should be legally made no sooner than 18 years old. This includes puberty blocking. A young child is not someone who has the mental capability to make these kinds of choices for themselves.
    Though I agree with you that kids shouldn't take responsibly for more serious and permanent measures, allowing them access to puberty blocking drugs is fine for me.
    The effects of them are only temporary , and really allows the kid to have more time to experience life as their preferred gender, especially into the teen years. It can also help protect them against a lot of social rejection and mental stress.
    And to even be allowed to take the drugs, the kid has to go through a thorough psychoanalysis test by therapists with expertise in gender-identity, and the severity of the transgenderism has to be bad enough as to cause self-harm.
    These drugs can be life savers .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 31Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8

February 2012
    101 Posts
    people think they're happy being transgender but in reality you're going to get bullied right through school and be depressed all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 50Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts
    Doesn't the process need to start earlier than that for hormonal reasons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    talk about being judgmental.
    maybe you guys should read-up on something before ejaculating and defecating your opinions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 50Dumb Dumb x 17Funny Funny x 4 (list)

11. Post #11

February 2012
    101 Posts
    I think if you're born a certain gender then you should stick to it so you have a functional reproductive organ. Afterall that is the reason you are alive, to reproduce and advance the human race. If you can't reproduce then you're killing our species off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb x 95Agree x 2Useful x 1Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts
    An eight-year-old second-grader in Los Angeles is a typical patient. Born a girl, the child announced at 18 months, 'I a boy' and has stuck with that belief. The family was shocked but now refers to the child as a boy and is watching for the first signs of puberty to begin treatment, his mother told The Associated Press.
    ok thats ridiculous. that family sounds stupid as hell.

Los Angeles
    there we go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 42Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,338 Posts
    There shouldn't be an arbitrary age limit on these things. Obvious mental maturity is a more ethical watershed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    585 Posts
    I think if you're born a certain gender then you should stick to it so you have a functional reproductive organ. Afterall that is the reason you are alive, to reproduce and advance the human race. If you can't reproduce then you're killing our species off.
    humanity doesn't need everyone to reproduce anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 63 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Doesn't the process need to start earlier than that for hormonal reasons?
    My cousin is transgendered. She started the process towards becoming a woman sexually in her 30s. There need to be hormone treatments, but it doesn't have to happen before puberty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16

February 2012
    101 Posts
    humanity doesn't need everyone to reproduce anymore
    Look at Japan, people stopped reproducing and their population is projected to be down by a third.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 52Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    Judging on how you feel on TGism, you dislike gays for that very reason as well, as they aren't reproducing. But that's just an assumption.

The world needs less people anyways, with a population of nearly 7 billion, a form of friendly population control sounds nice right about now.

Less people, less demand, less resource consumption, more money all around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    15,327 Posts
    Look at Japan, people stopped reproducing and their population is projected to be down by a third.
    for a completely different reason and it won't affect anything badly, considering the rise in life expectancy and infant mortality getting better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    uh guys you realise they don't just hand out hormones to kids on a whim right? they have to go through counselling and shit to make sure they're legit and not just going through a weird phase

Edited:

completely unfair comparison. japan's birthrate problems has nothing to do with LGBT people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    uh guys you realise they don't just hand out hormones to kids on a whim right? they have to go through counselling and shit to make sure they're legit and not just going through a weird phase
    Can you tell if someone is legit or not before their brain and hormones have become fully matured? A lot of mental issues are solved simply by maturity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    I AM A PUTRID FUCK WHO CHASES AFTER PEOPLE'S VANS, SCARES GIRLS, FELL FOR A RANDOM FUCK ON THE INTERNET WHO I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN, AND SHOVED RUSTY NAILS DOWN MY COCK FOR THEM.
    July 2008
    4,193 Posts
    I wish there were shemales my age when I was younger :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Friendly Friendly x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 7Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22

February 2012
    101 Posts
    Its contributing if this is on the rise though. You cannot deny this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26 (list)

23. Post #23
    Who cares! The world needs less people anyways! It doesn't harm anyone, and if anything, it helps the economy and environment if everyone isn't having an orgy to reproduce.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Can you tell if someone is legit or not before their brain and hormones have become fully matured? A lot of mental issues are solved simply by maturity.
    gender identity develops fairly early in childhood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    This trend is rising in the USA, it has nothing to do with Japan. There are already people way more educated than you or I studying the factors that go into Japan's population shrinking, and I haven't heard them say transgenderism being any sort of factor.

A man who is gendered as a woman isn't likely to reproduce whether they have a penis or artificial vagina. It really doesn't matter if they have their genitals re-organized.

Edited:

gender identity develops fairly early in childhood.
    But gender identity and sexual identity aren't generally solidified until fairly late in adolescence. It's actually fairly normal for children to be confused as far as gender and sexuality goes, and these things tend to fix themselves as the mind and body mature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    But gender identity and sexual identity aren't generally solidified until fairly late in adolescence. It's actually fairly normal for children to be confused as far as gender and sexuality goes, and these things tend to fix themselves as the mind and body mature.
    That's what the counselling is for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,763 Posts
    The problem with the debate of "you're to young to make this choice" is a tricky one to make, because if you make up your mind that you want to be a different gender at a young age and are prohibited to do so until 18, it could screw with that kids mind and lead to depression, ect, until they get it at 18.

Also it's harder and more lengthy to do it the older you are. When you are younger, you can heal faster and your body can take changes easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    That's what the counselling is for.
    How can counselling take the role of hormones and mental development?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,605 Posts
    "Gender-reassignment surgery, which may include removing or creating penises, is only done by a handful of US doctors, on patients at least 18 years old"

The surgery already only goes on at 18 or at the earliest 16. However, the notion of whether one is male or female forms quite early on and as such hormonal treatments are allowed for people under 18. There's no problem with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    talk about being judgmental.
    maybe you guys should read-up on something before ejaculating and defecating your opinions?
    what, seeing another person's opinion hurts you? People express their opinions all the time. I don't see how you should be surprised.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Zing Zing x 7 (list)

31. Post #31
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    what, seeing another person's opinion hurts you? People express their opinions all the time. I don't see how you should be surprised.
    what was the point of this post?
    i'm pretty sure i said people should read up before saying ignorant and stupid things.
    thanks for letting me know people express their opinions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 12Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    This is something someone can regret very quickly, I don't think it's the best idea to trust <18 year old children with this decision
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2010
    3,618 Posts
    people think they're happy being transgender but in reality you're going to get bullied right through school and be depressed all the time.
    Um. No. What are you saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,879 Posts
    they really need to wait until they're older to make these decisions
    it's not a switch, you can't just change back when you feel like it
    well you can, it's just gonna be a lot of time and money and you won't have your proper reproductive organs etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    I don't really know how to feel about this. On one hand, I don't want children suffering from depression and other mental problems due to gender dysphoria. But on the other hand, I don't know if a child is necessarily mature or competent enough to make a decision that will radically affect him/her in a permanent way. It's kind of a touchy issue, and ideally the decision would be made on an individual basis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

36. Post #36
    January 2012
    141 Posts
    *plays music,but instead of a ending, people yell DUMBDUMBDUMBDUMB!*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Informative Informative x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    16,528 Posts
    Sex changes for kids isn't a good idea at all. Of all the children who think they would be better in the opposite gender, there is only an infinitely small portion that is actually mature enough to know what they want on the long run, and if they are mature enough to make this decision they surely are also mature enough to understand they should wait after their majority just to be sure it's what they want.

Up to the end of puberty, children are developing mentally and physically, and most of the time there IS a stage where they just wish to be of the opposite gender, simply out of curiosity or because they think they would feel better if they had different genitalia, without being actually sure of it.

There is also the fact that some kids are a bit more androgynous than others, which can create bullying (just like pretty much everything when you're at school), and bullying can have noticeable changes on one's mind - some people might think they actually are dumb because they are getting called one all the time, some might think they are actually gay because they are getting called one all the time, and some might think they are actually a girl or a man depending on your original gender because they are getting called that all the time.

To exaggerate a bit, providing sex change therapy to any kid who thinks he might feel better as the opposite gender is like providing cyanide to any teen who wish his life would end right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb x 15Disagree x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    10,433 Posts
    I'd say 18 months is more than a little too soon for someone to make a decision like this.
    I think that children should be allowed to act whatever gender they feel, but no actual surgery until their mid-teens (and no removal/addition of organs until adulthood) so they are capable of understanding exactly how big of a deal their gender is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    I always cringe at the thought of sexual reassignment surgery. Cutting off what's essentially a limb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    16,528 Posts
    I'm pretty sure there's at least one teen girl on the entire planet who once thought "I want a dick just so I can piss standing !"

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling/Incredibly insensitive & degrading" - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb x 20Funny x 7Agree x 3Informative x 2Friendly x 1 (list)