1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,028 Posts
    -was running an ancient debian version at the time-

2. Post #2

November 2011
    18 Posts
    Wine 1.0.1? Um... that version of Wine is at least four years old now, have you tried upgrading it? Newer versions of Wine have much better compatibility with Steam and Source games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.

September 2007
    18,881 Posts
    Indeed, you should always be using the latest version when it comes to WINE.

4. Post #4

January 2012
    68 Posts
    ugh. WINE is very fiddly. Check out PlayOnLinux. http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

5. Post #5
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.

September 2007
    18,881 Posts
    ... PlayOnLinux uses WINE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 3 (list)

6. Post #6

January 2012
    68 Posts
    ... PlayOnLinux uses WINE.
    yes but it's all automated with scripts, any dependencies are automatically configured and it downloads a specific version of WINE that has been tested with the game. It's easier than mucking about with regressions and out dated instructions.

your advice on using the latest stable is not always the right path with something like WINE, fixing one thing can break another.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,028 Posts
    Guess I'll update is as soon as I can. This is a school laptop and we don't have superuser permissions.
    The update could take quite the time to perform.
    Also, I noticed that not even GCF standalones seem to work. Older versions of Garry's Mod seem to work just fine. Not sure about things like TF2 or Portal.

8. Post #8
    July 2009
    1,268 Posts
    You could try to boot in runlevel 1, if you're not prompted for a password you're in luck...

9. Post #9
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    sudo apt-get install wine1.4
    password: ********

Success.

10. Post #10
    June 2011
    80 Posts
    I have tried the package install for most of the debian versions as well as ubuntu. What I have found is the package managers like apt-get/aptitude install older versions of Wine. In my experience the best way to get Wine running and working properly is to download it and compile it from source.

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    1,268 Posts
    Doesn't the wine website offer a bunch of debs for the latest versions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    the official ppa from winehq installs the latest, which is 1.4 at the moment.