1. Post #1
    bbc
    ERECT PENIS
    January 2011
    6,311 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/technology-17190910
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2010
    6,223 Posts
    How many calls does it take for something to be done?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

3. Post #3
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,264 Posts
    How many calls does it take for something to be done?
    I saw a teacher try to use a computer once

It was terrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,948 Posts
    American computer literacy classes are a joke.

I am a junior in high school, and I have to take it this semester. The first 2 weeks have been about how to install, open, and use firefox and registering a gmail account. The worst part is, the majority of it is useless stuff like setting calendar dates.

I don't see why they don't teach things like control panel and installing proper anti-virus programs, but I guess they'd just tell us to get McAfee because the instructors don't seem to know any more than the students.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,214 Posts
    American computer literacy classes are a joke.

I am a junior in high school, and I have to take it this semester. The first 2 weeks have been about how to install, open, and use firefox and registering a gmail account. The worst part is, the majority of it is useless stuff like setting calendar dates.

I don't see why they don't teach things like control panel and installing proper anti-virus programs, but I guess they'd just tell us to get McAfee because the instructors don't seem to know any more than the students.
    trust me, uk is worse. We do slideshows and spreadsheets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    98 Posts
    trust me, uk is worse. We do slideshows and spreadsheets.
    My IT teacher admitted she didn't know how anything works on a computer. She basically reads off of a sheet of paper.. :\
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    April 2011
    266 Posts
    ICT and Computing are classed as different subjects.
    They need to include Computing at GCSE (or lower) standards - It'd be easier just to add another 'section' under ICT coursework relating to programming.

This is all pointless though without teachers qualified and trained to teach those areas - and that actually have more knowledge than the students.

As far as I know (from my time at secondary school) most of the class knew just as much (if not more) about ICT than the teacher - we didn't really learn anything new at all!

--

tl;dr - I hope ICT and Computing get taught by teachers that know what their talking about and know more than the students their meant to be teaching.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    April 2010
    2,354 Posts
    Hasn't gcse ict just been scrapped, and replaced with computing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,292 Posts
    The biggest issue with ICT is that you dont get people who aim to teach ICT to kids when they want to go into teaching, and anyone that has the knowledge is most likely working in industry where the money is way better.

Most of the time ICT teachers are essentially the only ones really learning anything because all of the stuff being taught is already known by the kids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    98 Posts
    Hasn't gcse ict just been scrapped, and replaced with computing?
    That was the plan. Everyone's too lazy to actually give a fuck and do anything though.

11. Post #11
    own-fucking-zone
    April 2009
    4,016 Posts
    Whenever my teachers had to hook a computer to the projector it always took a battle. Just shove the cable in the socket - it only fits one place - and turn on the projector.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    My IT teacher admitted she didn't know how anything works on a computer. She basically reads off of a sheet of paper.. :\
    How is she a teacher?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,924 Posts
    I saw a teacher try to use a computer once

It was terrible
    once
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,846 Posts
    They actually teach Java coding at my school.

15. Post #15
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    2,025 Posts
    My Spanish teacher didn't even know that Internet Explorer is used for Internet stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    August 2009
    2,861 Posts
    They actually teach Java coding at my school.
    Me and fellow students had to organize a club and teach it to ourselves after school for that. The best we get in the actual curriculum is basic html/css and dreamweaver.