1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,104 Posts

"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over."

Max Payne is a video game series developed by Remedy Entertainment and recently, Rockstar Vancouver. The series is named after its protagonist, Max Payne, a New York City police officer turned a vigilante. The series's original story and script is written by Sam Lake.

The first game of the series, Max Payne was released in 2001 for Microsoft Windows and 2002 for Xbox, PlayStation 2, and Apple Macintosh; a special version of the game was also released for the Game Boy Advance in 2003. A sequel entitled Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne was released in 2003 for PC, Xbox and the PS2. In 2008, a movie adaption of the original game entitled Max Payne was released. In 2009, Rockstar announced Max Payne 3, being developed by Rockstar Vancouver and currently scheduled for release in May 2012 for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The franchise is notable for its use of "bullet time" in action sequences. The series has achieved varying levels of success. Both Max Payne and Max Payne 2 were well received by critics, although the sequel's sales were considered underwhelming. As of 2011, the Max Payne franchise has sold over 7.5 million copies. The film rendition, which featured Mark Wahlberg as Payne, was the opposite, in that it received harsh criticism and was given negative reviews but was commercially successful (somehow).
    Max Payne

Max Payne is the first game in the franchise; a third-person shooter video game developed by the Finnish company Remedy Entertainment, produced by 3D Realms and published by Gathering of Developers. The game follows the story of detective Payne as he attempts to hunt down the ones responsible for murdering his wife and child, as well as framing him for the murder of his partner, Alex. As the story unfolds he gains a number of "allies"--most of whom are killed off in the sequel—including a Russian mafia gangster Vladimir Lem, and Mona Sax, another gun-totting vigilante who's out to avenge the death of her twin sister, Lisa, and manages to bring down the ring-leaders in a major drug-operation for a narcotic called V or Valkyr—after the mythological figures in Norse mythology.
    Max Payne 2: Payne hard- The The Fall of Max Payne

At the ending of Max Payne, Max was being led away by the police, about to face charges for his killing spree. However, Max was eventually cleared of all charges, thanks to his relationship with a very influential member of society, Senator Alfred Woden. A few years have passed, and Max has returned to work for the NYPD as a homicide detective. However, during a routine murder investigation he finds himself face-to-face once again with the fugitive Mona Sax, a woman he thought was dead. Max and Mona team up to solve the answers to Max's past that left his wife and child dead.
    Max Payne 3 (bad joke about bald max here)

Max Payne 3, the first game in the series developed by Rockstar Vancouver (and not by Remedy Entertainment, the original developers), will find Max in a "downward spiral" following the events of the second game. He is now 8 years older, has left both the NYPD and New York itself, and his appearance is considerably different from that of the first two games.Working for a security firm in the city of São Paulo located in Brazil, Max is double-crossed, finding himself in a "city full of violence and bloodshed". Max Payne 3 will use the same formula as before to tell the story, jumping between different points in time to elaborate on story elements while keeping pace.
    I will update but for now lets just have some MP3 media shall we?

Trailers:
    1 & 2

Design & Tech

Bonus:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 20Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2010
    1,566 Posts
    I still need to replay Max Payne 2, I did a playthrough of the first a few months back, still as good as ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,104 Posts
    I would suggest some mods at some point. Cinema 2.0 and Payne Effects 3 are pretty damn good and it's up to you what else you what given most others tend to be buggy or a bit wacky.

Edited:

Might make some avatars tomorrow when I have time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    I've been fiddling about with modding Max Payne 2. Does this look like James McCaffrey Max at all?

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    November 2010
    8,554 Posts
    Have they said if the multiplayer for PC will have dedicated servers or if it's going to be peer to peer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    Very little PC details are going to be revealed until it's closer to release, around May.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #7
    Trying to play through the first now... I must really suck or something because I'm having a rather difficult time. Max can only take like two bullets. Literally. This is noir, right? He should be able to take as many bullets as he damn well pleases!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,282 Posts
    Trying to play through the first now... I must really suck or something because I'm having a rather difficult time. Max can only take like two bullets. Literally. This is noir, right? He should be able to take as many bullets as he damn well pleases!
    Dying a bunch normal for the first time. You are good as dead unless you have good aim and use slow motion all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9

August 2011
    836 Posts
    Thread needs more pictures.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,582 Posts
    Move the blood a little right and that would be a perfect screenshot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,608 Posts
    Quicksave before you have enter any room. I pretty much finished both the games without loosing much health thanks to rapid quicksaving
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    November 2007
    2,464 Posts
    I forgot there was a movie. Is it worth watching? I'm just getting into the series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    Not really. It has some cool references here and there and James McCaffrey has a cameo in it, but Jim Bravura is played by Ludacris. The old, crotchety, Jewish lieutenant is played by a slim, black rapper.

Why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 5 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2010
    1,941 Posts
    Not really. It has some cool references here and there and James McCaffrey has a cameo in it, but Jim Bravura is played by Ludacris. The old, crotchety, Jewish lieutenant is played by a slim, black rapper.

Why.
    Because Ludacris was the most popular B-list "actor" they could get, and the studios thought that putting him in it would draw more popularity from other crowds even though pretty much the only crowd they really got anyways were people that wanted to see a film adaptation of the game.

Basically, film studios usually don't have any idea how to handle movie adaptations of games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2007
    748 Posts
    And Mila Kunis, yech. Terrible actor.

Whole movie was a disaster.

The games themselves are excellent enough, with the comics, narration, and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Fuck Arnold Palmer
    April 2011
    8,700 Posts
    I need a Max Payne related avatar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Glory To Victotzka
    November 2010
    1,249 Posts
    I'm very late to the party (bought the collection on Steam a few months ago), but I love Max Payne. Money well spent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

18. Post #18
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,495 Posts
    I'm about halfway through the first one, need to finish them at some point.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,748 Posts
    I fucking love Payne Effects 3. Max Payne 2 was never especially gory, but the throat slitting works for the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,568 Posts
    When i first saw the movie, my first thought was "Are they retarded? That's the opposite of what that character is."

And Mila Kunis, yech. Terrible actor.

Whole movie was a disaster.

The games themselves are excellent enough, with the comics, narration, and such.
    Mila Kunis isn't terrible, but she's OK when she's in a role that fit's her, which is usually the same character, which i know can get a little boring to some people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    October 2005
    421 Posts
    Hey guys,

First of all, absolutely love the MP series. And yes, it's normal to die in MP1. It's a pretty hard game imo.

Second, is the iOS version of MP1 worth getting? I've seen it, it costs 2,40, but I dunno. Looks pretty good though. I imagine the controls to be REALLY awkward however.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,568 Posts
    Hey guys,

First of all, absolutely love the MP series. And yes, it's normal to die in MP1. It's a pretty hard game imo.

Second, is the iOS version of MP1 worth getting? I've seen it, it costs 2,40, but I dunno. Looks pretty good though. I imagine the controls to be REALLY awkward however.
    If you want an OK portable version of Max Payne, the GBA version is recommended. I just can't imagine the PC version of Max Payne working on a portable device.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

23. Post #23
    October 2005
    421 Posts
    Well, carrying it around on a phone is way more convenient haha. Anddd I used to share that opinion 'bout the GTA 3 port, but it's pretty good. Shooting is VERY awkward though (and thus missions become way harder than they already are haha, and some are ridiculously hard imo :p). Might have to look up some reviews or gameplay videos. But i'd rather hear from someone who actually has the game :p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #24
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    I haven't beaten the first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,362 Posts
    You should, it's a damn good game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    these assholes keep shooting at me which makes it really hard to continue on my path of righteous vengeance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

27. Post #27
    October 2005
    421 Posts
    Shame on you sir.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,362 Posts
    these assholes keep shooting at me which makes it really hard to continue on my path of righteous vengeance.
    Well usually if you shoot people they will shoot you back.

but yeah Max Payne is damn hard, especially this fucker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,551 Posts
    In the OP...

"Max Payne 2: Payne hard- The The Fall of Max Payne"

??

30. Post #30
    July 2007
    462 Posts
    Is there a decent fix so Max doesnt look like a garden gnome in 1920x1080 yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 China Show Events

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,748 Posts
    In the OP... "Max Payne 2: Payne hard- The The Fall of Max Payne" ??
    I think it's a joke that landed on it's nose. Should have been Payne Harder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

32. Post #32
    August 2010
    1,012 Posts
    My suggestion for thread title: Max Payne 3: Payne in the ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,686 Posts
    Countless times shooting bullets during killcams to see them wheeze through and add more wounds/debris around. Good times!

If you enjoy mayhem - you might want to give Stranglehold a try, it's basically Max Payne minus the story, but the shootouts are genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,104 Posts
    It was supposed to be like that. I'd rather not put a fake title in for people who know nothing of the series to assume that's what it's actually called.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,551 Posts
    It was supposed to be like that. I'd rather not put a fake title in for people who know nothing of the series to assume that's what it's actually called.
    I just found the redundant 'The' a little odd.
    So I think it's great how this game is dripping with Norse mythology.

36. Post #36
    October 2005
    421 Posts
    I agree stranglehold is pretty good. Loads of awesome shootouts. too bad the story. Is pretty gay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    AUTISTIC DOTA WANKER
    June 2006
    7,361 Posts

The writing is just so goddamn perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #38
    March 2010
    3,139 Posts
    Can someone explain the controls for eagle eye, sliding and cover in Payne Effect? I can't get any to work.

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts

Edited:

Is there a decent fix so Max doesnt look like a garden gnome in 1920x1080 yet?
    I play in 1280x1024 windowed, then alt+enter so it fits the screen. You get the black bars at the sides, but it's a good ratio.

Edited:

Edited:

Is this better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,095 Posts
    Use this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)