1. Post #1
    Half Life 2: Call of Duty meets Minecraft

February 2012
    13,025 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 34Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Well little console-kiddies don't like shitting their britches and having to think, so of course it hasn't taken off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 35Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,706 Posts
    Well little console-kiddies don't like shitting their britches and having to think, so of course it hasn't taken off.
    It's not the fault of 'console kiddies', it's the fault of publishers not experimenting or taking risks ffs.

As games such as Dwarf Fortress, Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, Wasteland 2, etc show that people will support and love the hell out of niche and non-mainstream games. The horror genre has been stagnant with so-so cash cows such as Silent Hill for the good part of a decade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2011
    1,385 Posts
    that his literally nothing to do with it

are you dumb on purpose
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,645 Posts
    I've never witnessed a game to have made me that scared to have nightmares/not want to play it. I really want one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2008
    1,996 Posts
    I've never witnessed a game to have made me that scared to have nightmares/not want to play it. I really want one
    Even when I was little I never got so scared that I couldn't play the game anymore. Nowadays I can't get scared because I'm too knowledgeable about game mechanics. I was never once scared in any way in Amnesia because with two exceptions you're always in a position to hide and wait for the 'bad guy music' to fade away. But I guess that's just me anyways since my pass time was throwing boxes at the monsters and laughing at them.

I'd really like to play a game that makes me experience the meltdowns people on Youtube have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    266 Posts
    I'd really like to play a game that makes me experience the meltdowns people on Youtube have.
    A lot of that is just people over-acting to try and be funny, so I wouldn't feel so bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,982 Posts
    Have you tried the old Fatal Frame games? I haven't, but it does look creepy. You basically have to use a camera to kill the ghosts, so you are forced to look at them in the eyes/face and take a picture. I would try it, but I don't know where to buy it.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,431 Posts
    Have you tried the old Fatal Frame games? I haven't, but it does look creepy. You basically have to use a camera to kill the ghosts, so you are forced to look at them in the eyes/face and take a picture. I would try it, but I don't know where to buy it.
    I see copies of it for the PS2 all the time at Gamestop, unless your not in the US. Just try amazon

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,649 Posts
    Even when I was little I never got so scared that I couldn't play the game anymore. Nowadays I can't get scared because I'm too knowledgeable about game mechanics. I was never one scared in any way in Amnesia because with two exceptions you're always in a position to hide and wait for the 'bad guy music' to fade away. But I guess that's just me anyways since my pass time was throwing boxes at the monsters and laughing at them.

Pure horror is letting one self be emerged in the presented atmosphere. Some people just can't do that. Doing, like you described, "throwing boxes at monsters" instead. In other words, fooling around. In a way, the mind doesn't accept getting scared. That is when you get the super effective gamers that pretty much runs straight from objective to objective. The actual elements of suspense and horror only becomes an annoying obstacle.

Edited:

I've played Fatal Frame. It is a surprisingly good game, although some elements feels very cheap and predictable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,003 Posts
    Horror is a tricky thing to get right. So it kinda makes sense that there isn't much evolution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,813 Posts
    Amnesia stopped being scary when you knew that as soon as you grabbed the item, or triggered the event that something scary might spawn behind you. They need to be more random and dynamic with it, Not knowing when something crazy is going to happen is a whole lot scarier then preparing yourself to hide after you grab an item.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,039 Posts
    A slow build-up is important so scares have greater impact,
    This is what I seriously loved about Amnesia and the beginning of Penumbra Overture, but then again it kind of ruins all replayability because you know exactly what's coming ahead of you. But still, was totally worth the money I payed for them due to the unique experience.

14. Post #14
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,793 Posts
    silent hill 4 > all other horror games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 21Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,309 Posts
    they're collaborating with the guys who made dear esther?

oh my god awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2010
    10,942 Posts
    I like this man. I want him to have more money and power.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    I'm rather weak when facing stuff involving little girls or horror games involving women moaning like fuck, and japanese horror does a huge fucking number on me. Sometimes I can't even sleep at night because of it, yet, I'd even laugh my ass off at other horror stuff.

Fatal Frame is the kind of game that I will never even try to play, because the fact that you have japanese ghosts coming out of fucking nowhere is unsettling and frightning as fuck. The sheer thought of having to "look them in the eyes and take a picture haunts me to no end. Same for that horror house flash browser game. Its a jumpscare thing, but I just find the faces unsettling...

Edited:

Amnesia stopped being scary when you knew that as soon as you grabbed the item, or triggered the event that something scary might spawn behind you. They need to be more random and dynamic with it, Not knowing when something crazy is going to happen is a whole lot scarier then preparing yourself to hide after you grab an item.
    Grab barrel, put it "between you and the monster" and it goes away. You're essentially hidden.
    And the thing that made the game scary imo was maybe the "bad scary guy coming up" music, that got the adrenaline running.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    silent hill 4 > all other horror games
    The fourth one really wasn't very good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2009
    963 Posts
    I find the best way to make something scary is to not let the user know anything about the game. When I first played Half Life 2 as the youngster I was, Ravenholm scared the crap outta me. But then I got Gmod and nothing scared me in it. Then, moving over to a game that I knew NOTHING about such as amnesia, I played for twenty minutes, then quit, and repeat a few times.

Still haven't finished it.... But the idea is, it's scary because I knew nothing of how the game worked apart from moving and getting lighting and run away from stuff (Didn't know how to hide yet, only saw a monster once)

20. Post #20
    April 2011
    2,596 Posts
    I think one thing that a lot of horror games lack are elements or events in the games that simply make no sense. Something so weird and out of the ordinary your only reaction is not necessarily fright, but disturbance. Something that leaves you wondering "how the fuck did they come up with this?"

Take the TV screens in the Godzilla creepypasta for instance.

I'm not sure I've explained this properly, I've always found it really hard to describe what I'm getting at as it isn't really all that tangible.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    539 Posts
    maybe we can swap i get scared so easy in games

:(

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    the shalebridge cradle from thief deadly shadows is a masterpiece of atmospheric horror
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,836 Posts
    I really can't wait for the new Amnesia game. I hope they'll make it more dynamic and unpredictable though

24. Post #24
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    the shalebridge cradle from thief deadly shadows is a masterpiece of atmospheric horror

Oh god, I fucking hated that place, and then when the hag came out. But yes, the cradle was fucking scary as a motherfucker.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    3,837 Posts
    Even when I was little I never got so scared that I couldn't play the game anymore. Nowadays I can't get scared because I'm too knowledgeable about game mechanics. I was never once scared in any way in Amnesia because with two exceptions you're always in a position to hide and wait for the 'bad guy music' to fade away. But I guess that's just me anyways since my pass time was throwing boxes at the monsters and laughing at them.

That's dumb as hell, I do too as well and make maps but I don't think about that when I play, I don't go "Geez this monster coming towards me was modelled using 3DS Max and has X number of polygons and animated with X" if you want to play properly then immerse your self or else there really is nothing to say. It's either you play properly or you don't.

Anyways I can't wait for this, just finished the Penumbra Collection and while definitely not anywhere near as scary it was a lot more interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,409 Posts
    bring back team silent

Edited:

The fourth one really wasn't very good.
    still better than homecoming and downpour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    GET OUT OF OUR CODE YOU FILTHY HACKERS 8-) BITCHES
    July 2009
    3,724 Posts
    bring back team silent
    just thinking that team silent was disbanded to work exclusively on mobile games brings a tear to my eye
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    I fucking loved penumbra