1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,725 Posts
    Pittsburgh (CNN) - Mitt Romney, slamming President Barack Obama for his performance creating jobs, said Friday any unemployment figure above 4% shouldn't be cause for celebration.

Romney's comments came hours after the Labor Department released figures showing hiring slowed in April, and workers dropped out of the labor force at an alarming rate. At the same time, the unemployment rate fell to 8.1%.

"Just this morning there was some news that came across the wire that said that the unemployment rate has dropped to 8.1% and normally that would be cause for celebration, but, in fact, anything over 8%, anything near 8%, anything over 4% is not cause for celebration," Romney told a crowd while campaigning in Pittsburgh.

America's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was last below 4% in December 2000, when it stood at 3.9%. That was at the end of President Bill Clinton's second term in office. In October 2004, just before President George W. Bush won re-election, the unemployment rate was 5.5%.

Romney went on to point out the statistics on workers who have dropped out of the labor force, saying the rate of people in the workforce reflected a sad reality. At 63.6%, the portion of the working-age population participating in the job market is now at its lowest level since 1981.

"The unemployment rate is lower now because not so many people want to work," Romney said. "This is a sad time in America. When people who want work can't find jobs. College kids, kids coming out of college. Surveys said half of the kids coming out of college can't find work or can't find work that's consistent with their skills. This is a time when America wants to have someone who knows what it takes to create jobs and get people working again."

Repeating an oft-used campaign line, Romney told the crowd that in order to create jobs, "it helps to have had a job."

Romney discussed the plight of taxes on small businesses at the Sauereisen Concrete Company, which has been owned by the same family for three generations.

"Right now small business, the top rate they pay is the individual tax rate of 35% and 35% of what they make will go into the government income tax rolls. Then they have the state income tax rolls on top of that," he said.

"What's the state tax here in Pennsylvania?" Romney asked, to which a few people responded with 3.07, the state's flat rate income tax and considered low compared to other states. After he heard the number Romney joked, "That .07 gets you doesn't it?"

At one point during his campaign rally, Romney was interrupted by a veteran who, among other points, advocated turning a veterans' hospital slated to be shut down into a veterans' university.

After a minute of letting the man make his points, Romney interjected, asking if he could finish his stump speech. The candidate eventually allowed the attendee to finish his point.
    Source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ployment-rate/

Because the president, whether it's Obama, Romney or God himself, can magically change unemployment!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,257 Posts
    The best this country has ever seen the employment rate was during WW2 at the high of the war coming out of the depression, and that was when it was around 2%, based on what the history books say. Fuck off Romney.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

3. Post #3
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,498 Posts
    Isn't anything below like 5% considered really good? I'm trying to recall what my econ teacher said
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,257 Posts
    Isn't anything below like 5% considered really good? I'm trying to recall what my econ teacher said
    My U.S history teacher, retired economist, says that anything below 5% is amazing for a country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,420 Posts
    fuck you Mitt Romney unemployment is slowly declining I celebrate when I want
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2009
    9,432 Posts
    I'll celebrate if it's 30%, if I want. >:U
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Biggest Homosex
    February 2011
    2,667 Posts
    Whatever shreds of respect I've ever had for Romney is steadily finding its way to the incinerator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2009
    25,725 Posts
    Whatever shreds of respect I've ever had for Romney is steadily finding its way to the incinerator.
    Surprised anyone has even that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    February 2010
    1,242 Posts
    There's frictional unemployment, about 4% (so my eco instructor says) I think that is healthy to always exist in an economy. If it drops below that it's bad because it means that employers are desperate to hire people.

This guy's pullin' your leg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #10
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    i'll celebrate when Romney suspends his campaign
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts
    I guess we can never celebrate then.

12. Post #12
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    My U.S history teacher, retired economist, says that anything below 5% is amazing for a country.
    Well, usually anything below 5% is considered "full employment" with some economists insisting on only calling 0% full employment.

Point being, 4% would be fucking stellar to have, but saying that we can't be happy until we're there is too much.

13. Post #13
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,287 Posts
    if romney could have it his way everyone unemployed would work for a tenth of the minimum wage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,108 Posts
    There's frictional unemployment, about 4% (so my eco instructor says) I think that is healthy to always exist in an economy. If it drops below that it's bad because it means that employers are desperate to hire people.

As of May 3rd, the natural rate of unemployment is 5.5%

just fyi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2010
    1,242 Posts
    Thanks. I was only...err.... 1.5% off.
    They get the idea

16. Post #16
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,218 Posts
    Someone posted this on facebook, idk how accurate it is, ignore the tool splashmark

Modern Republicans make Reagan look like a moderate democrat

17. Post #17
    February 2009
    25,725 Posts

It's these damn "neocons".

18. Post #18
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Is unemployment really down? I can't find any solid numbers on it. I mean, the unemployment rate isn't incredibly accurate. I can't really find net job growth for states though, even when I google it they generally give me normal job growth without taking into account the increasing workforce.

19. Post #19
    February 2009
    25,725 Posts
    Is unemployment really down? I can't find any solid numbers on it. I mean, the unemployment rate isn't incredibly accurate. I can't really find net job growth for states though, even when I google it they generally give me normal job growth without taking into account the increasing workforce.
    From what I've read, it's gone down a bit, but it's still really bad.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,439 Posts
    "Hey guys, don't give Obama credit for doing anything until I say so."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    April 2012
    13 Posts

Just wondering, why is that so bad? Much better than most graduates finding it extremely hard to find a job because so many people have degrees now.

22. Post #22
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    From what I've read, it's gone down a bit, but it's still really bad.
    I know for a fact if you're a migrant worker shit is looking pretty good right now(in Washington). I just got an off/on job at a gooey duck farm that pays 4 times minimum wage. I also know quite a few other places are opening up and increasing wages for migrant or seasonal work.

How this translates to other jobs that aren't hard labor, I have no clue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,108 Posts
    Just wondering, why is that so bad? Much better than most graduates finding it extremely hard to find a job because so many people have degrees now.
    In theory, an unemployment rate under the natural rate leads to excessive inflation in the short run.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Someone posted this on facebook, idk how accurate it is, ignore the tool splashmark

also the dot com bubble probably helped with the economy

Edited:

not to pin the success of the 90s wholly on clinton
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,012 Posts
    Though to be fair, Unemployment was 4.5% under Dubya for a good part of 2006, and under 5% for a good solid 3 years.

26. Post #26
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    From what I hear W didn't create many jobs, even if unemployment was rather low.

27. Post #27
    April 2010
    4,031 Posts
    Meh. The unemployment statistics don't mean a lot too me. The numbers are either fudged a bit to make things seem better or some unemployed are erased from the list, just to be disregarded from the statistics.

28. Post #28
    May 2011
    1,259 Posts
    Thanks for telling me what to do Romney, I'll make sure to postpone any future partying until you say otherwise.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,192 Posts

Huh.

Edited:

That's not a lot of celebrating.