1. Post #1
    July 2008
    3,763 Posts
    The US government yesterday rolled out not one but two copyright notices, one to "warn" and one to "educate." Six major movie studios will begin using the new notices this week.

The main change is that Immigrations & Customs Enforcement (ICE) has, in the last several years, made itself a key player in the copyright wars. The FBI has shown extremely limited interest in going after individual websites, but ICE has done so with gusto; it has so far seized more than 750 domain names after rightsholder complaints. This new prominence is reflected in the broader logos used.

ICE now appears on both notices. The first notice shows the traditional FBI seal and a warning that "the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement is investigated by federal law enforcement agencies and is punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a fine of $250,000." The logo for ICE's Homeland Security Investigations unit now appears beside the FBI's.

The second notice shows the logo for the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center, which involves 20 different US government agencies. It features one extremely angry eagle who would probably pluck your eyeballs from your sockets if he could get those talons near you. "Piracy is not a victimless crime," says the notice. "For more information on how digital theft harms the economy, please visit www.iprcenter.gov."

Will the two screens be shown back to back? Will each screen last for 10 seconds each? Will each screen be unskippable? Yes, yes, and yes.

An ICE spokesman tells me that the two screens will "come up after the previews, once you hit the main movie/play button on the DVD. At which point the movie rating comes up, followed by the IPR Center screen shot for 10 secs and then the FBI/HSI anti-piracy warning for 10 secs as well. Neither can be skipped/fast forwarded through."

The idea isn't to deter current pirates, apparently (the new scheme requires all legal purchasers to sit through 20 seconds of warnings each time they pop in a film, but will be totally absent from pirated downloads and bootlegs). It's to educate everyone else. As ICE Director John Morton announced in a statement yesterday, "Law enforcement must continue to expand how it combats criminal activity; public awareness and education are a critical part of that effort."
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ment-warnings/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 118Funny Funny x 16Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    makes sense

It's to educate everyone else.
    gimme dat kneejerk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 27Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    The Mad Scientist
    September 2008
    20,470 Posts
    Punish the customers who pay!

This is so stupid, and won't help with anything, it'll only make the customers more angry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 148 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    makes sense
    how
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

5. Post #5
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,079 Posts
    One more reason to pirate it.
    After buying it of course
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 66Agree Agree x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,741 Posts
    -Can't fucking read

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,173 Posts
    This is like having a car alarm that shouts "DO NOT STEAL CARS" and goes off every time you turn the key.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 178Agree Agree x 19Winner Winner x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    sarcasm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    I'll buy it even more just because of this!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2010
    3,380 Posts
    I'll just illegally download it to skip these warnings.

Edited:

But really I hate having to sit through these warnings, just let us play the damn movie!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 25Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,741 Posts
    You really couldn't post the news straight from the horse's mouth?
    ICE press release

Edited:

Fuck's sake, I'm against piracy and think that this is one of the most horseshit antipiracy move they could have played
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    February 2010
    3,397 Posts
    That would just make me want to pirate it out of spite
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

13. Post #13
    I am no one's bitch now! AHAHA!
    October 2008
    4,187 Posts
    Now that's stupid.

14. Post #14
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,677 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 59Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,188 Posts
    What the fuck is the point even? If you bought the DVD, you shouldn't need to see the warning at all. It should just be common sense that doing it is illegal.

One warning is more than enough, especially if it's unskippable. We don't need two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

16. Post #16
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,613 Posts
    More time to pop the corn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,187 Posts
    Wow, 20 seconds of sitting and staring at an unskippable government PSA about Hollywood's bullshit piracy "losses"? Wonderful. I'll totally enjoy staring at it before I can watch the content I legally paid for, instead of downloading illegally and not having to waste my time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,836 Posts
    Thankfully, most UK releases have this instead now:

http://www.copyrightaware.co.uk/abou...-you-ident.asp

Take heed, America.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 42Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,626 Posts
    You don't beat pirates by scaring people, you beat them by offering a better service than they do.

Forcing people who PAID for your product to watch unskippable ads which tell them NOT TO PIRATE something they already paid for is not going to encourage sales.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

20. Post #20
    Waluigi Time!
    July 2011
    5,815 Posts
    This is how I seem to picture it:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 39Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,700 Posts
    i like backing up my blurays so i skip all this shit anyways
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    This is how government works.

It takes effort and sincerity to uphold the laws on the books. Lets just make more of the same laws that we'll continue to do nothing to enforce.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    Also obligatory:

Seriously, this gets more ridiculous with each passing year. I don't buy Blu-Rays to watch advertisements (especially advertising the slick new medium of Blu-Ray on a fucking Blu-Ray disc) and I sure as hell don't buy movies to be constantly reminded to NOT turn to criminal behavior. I bought the movie, now let me watch the goddamn thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    I've never seen a DVD or BluRay with unskippable previews and two nonconsecutive government warnings.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    I've never seen a DVD or BluRay with unskippable previews and two nonconsecutive government warnings.
    Unskippable previews have become more of a rarity now, but I still find the occasional disc with them. Nowadays, however, I direct my frustration to the RIDICULOUS loading times for Blu-Ray movies because they spend so much time attempting to connect to the internet to download current information or a new trailer. On our standalone Blu-Ray player, it takes 2-4 minutes to get to the main menu of Avatar, 90% of which is spent staring at a "LOADING..." screen. My PS3 is thankfully much faster, but it's still ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,349 Posts
    What country do you live in, and how can I get there?

27. Post #27
    What bullshit.

28. Post #28
    December 2009
    1,866 Posts

Take heed, America.
    Wow, that video would actually make me feel good for buying the movie instead of pirating and never buying it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,154 Posts
    pay for warnings :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Latvia Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Cmx
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,455 Posts

Take heed, America.
    For me this would go a long way in purchasing dvds/blu rays, not the "hey we got your money now, fuck you eat a dick" we get on the shit here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BEN FOLDS FETISH
    April 2010
    6,662 Posts
    And they wonder why people pirate!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Unskippable previews have become more of a rarity now, but I still find the occasional disc with them. Nowadays, however, I direct my frustration to the RIDICULOUS loading times for Blu-Ray movies because they spend so much time attempting to connect to the internet to download current information or a new trailer. On our standalone Blu-Ray player, it takes 2-4 minutes to get to the main menu of Avatar, 90% of which is spent staring at a "LOADING..." screen. My PS3 is thankfully much faster, but it's still ridiculous.
    Well, you bought it and you know what BluRays have nowadays, so if you dislike the service, stop buying them.

33. Post #33
    February 2009
    1,605 Posts
    The only time I ever noticed these types of things was the first Red vs Blue DVD.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 78Winner Winner x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    I DRAW SEALS
    March 2009
    6,089 Posts
    It's a simple psychology lesson really. Positive reinforcement works a lot better than negative. So saying 'please buy some stuff and thank you for buying' is better than saying 'ok you bought it, don't steal fuckass or we'll court martial you'. It's common courtesy really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

35. Post #35
    lady godiva's giant vaginas
    May 2005
    1,873 Posts
    On my player if you hit the menu button at the right time you can skip all warnings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    Well, you bought it and you know what BluRays have nowadays, so if you dislike the service, stop buying them.
    Not as practical as you'd think. I think a big issue is that there's really no competition to Blu-Ray ever since HD-DVD was knocked out. This has the major benefit of giving consumers a consistent library of movies (no bouncing between formats), but it also lets them get away with pretty much whatever they want.

The alternative is to just flat-out stop buying movies and, if I'm being fully honest, I don't have the inclination to do so and I'd bet it's the same for just about everyone.

Edited:

It's a simple psychology lesson really. Positive reinforcement works a lot better than negative. So saying 'please buy some stuff and thank you for buying' is better than saying 'ok you bought it, don't steal fuckass or we'll court martial you'. It's common courtesy really.
    I don't know if it's this way outside of America, but it appears to be common practice in the movie, music and videogame industry to assume your customers are criminals until proven otherwise. Not exactly good for fostering trust or healthy business practices.

37. Post #37
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,642 Posts
    are they fucking dumb? people pirate movies just so they don't have previews and other bullshit burned in their retina

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,664 Posts
    (the new scheme requires all legal purchasers to sit through 20 seconds of warnings each time they pop in a film, but will be totally absent from pirated downloads and bootlegs)
    Let me re-write that for you...

(the new scheme requires all legal purchasers to sit though one skippable legal warning with a big prominent warning that says "Piracy is illegal, don't support it. Visit www.StopPiracy.gov to find out more". All company product advertising is being forced to part of the DVD/Blu-Ray when people can easily seek it out if they're interested instead of it being prominently displayed before the menus/movie each time the DVD/Blu-Ray put into the device for playback)

39. Post #39
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,591 Posts
    not defending this stupid stuff, but with the way some of you are acting you must be really impatient
    i just get a drink of water or something while the dumb warnings play
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    not defending this stupid stuff, but with the way some of you are acting you must be really impatient
    i just get a drink of water or something while the dumb warnings play
    It's more the principle of the matter than it is the inconvenience. I can wait the extra few seconds just like the next guy but the fact that these warnings even exist on legal, store-bought products is just another slap in the face to customers.

Businesses need to stop treating their customers as though they're criminals and instead say something like "Thank you for buying a legal version of this film. Enjoy the show!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)