1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,808 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18095370

BBC News posted:
    File-sharing website The Pirate Bay (TPB) has been hit by a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.

The site has been largely inaccessible for the last 24 hours, and the service is intermittent in the UK.

The Pirate Bay has confirmed the attack on its Facebook page, saying that it did not know who was behind it, although it "had its suspicions".

A provider of DDoS defence systems said that it was unlikely that the attack came from hacking group Anonymous.

"There will be further attacks, but what's significant about this whole story is that people think that it is the Anonymous attacking a site which is typically a type of site that they defend," said Andre Stewart of Corero Network Security.

"It could be the record labels, or a government somewhere that has had enough of not being able to catch The Pirate Bay, it could be just one person who had rented some cloud power from Amazon and is sitting in a cafe, and is able to launch an attack."

Although some users may have attempted to access the site using proxies, TPB itself warned them against doing so.

Illegal file sharing

"Use proxies at own risk. Don't login unless you trust the proxy supplier. Don't freak out. You'll get your TPB fix tomorrow," said the site.

Being an illegal file-sharing site, TPB allows users to obtain songs, films and other content free, thus angering copyright holders who end up losing money.

"If they're losing money and seeing that the government is not being able to stop it, there's a real monetary value reason for them to try and bring it down," said Mr Stewart.

"And if they can do it in the name of Anonymous then it's great for them.

"Equally the governments that protect these industries are frustrated as well because they haven't been able to see it close down, unlike a number of other torrent sites."

Open and free

Virgin Media began preventing access to the file-sharing site following a High Court order last week.

Some time later the Virgin Media website suffered a hack attack that many thought was organised to protest against efforts to block access to TPB.

Twitter feeds associated with the Anonymous collective wrote: "Virgin Media - Tango Down #OpTPB".

But TPB criticised Anonymous for the attack, writing on its Facebook page that it did not "encourage these actions".

"We believe in the open and free internets, where anyone can express their views," wrote TPB.

"Even if we strongly disagree with them and even if they hate us. So don't fight them using their ugly methods. DDoS and blocks are both forms of censorship."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 139Winner Winner x 6Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,210 Posts
    I feel kinda sorry for the guys behind TPB

Unrelated, but why is reddit.com looking at this thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 48Funny Funny x 12Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,808 Posts

le reading le thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 412Agree x 6Dumb x 4Winner x 2Useful x 1Zing x 1Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    Its like the criminal cartel warfare in Mexico, only everyone is white and nerdy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 58Agree Agree x 12 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,787 Posts
    Arent there like 500 TPB mirrors?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2010
    6,203 Posts
    Being an illegal file-sharing site, TPB allows users to obtain songs, films and other content free, thus angering copyright holders who end up losing money.
    I'm sorry BBC, but that's technically wrong. It's more like the guy who points you to the guy who gives you the illegal content. I don't support piracy, but bullshit statements like that are bad reporting. I won't even start with the lost money deal, how can you lose what you never had?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 118Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,064 Posts
    There is a workaround.

That's all I can say without risking getting banned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,552 Posts

I think that Redditbot is also collecting ratings for Overv's rating script.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Informative Informative x 13Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,808 Posts
    I think that Redditbot is also collecting ratings for Overv's rating script.
    What ratings script?

10. Post #10
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,210 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,012 Posts
    Um, it's working for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 27Winner Winner x 8Artistic Artistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,805 Posts
    It'll be back soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,064 Posts
    One thing's for sure, this is a good test to see if the workarounds work, in case The Pirate Bay ever goes down completely.

14. Post #14
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,932 Posts
    One thing's for sure, this is a good test to see if the workarounds work, in case The Pirate Bay ever goes down completely.
    Well there's already a document that fits on a micro-usb that's the entire TPB database so workarounds aren't difficult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2010
    6,247 Posts
    Even if it's just correlation, still ironic how this happened shortly after condemning Anonymous' DDoS attacks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,550 Posts
    that's not irony
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

17. Post #17
    No shit it's not anonymous, why would they ever take down TPB
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,531 Posts
    It's working for me and my ISP is blocking the thing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 52Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Working fine, but then again, the article says it was down for the last 24 hours, not right now.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    1,912 Posts
    Who uses public trackers anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,040 Posts
    Who uses public trackers anyway
    As has been said, The Pirate Bay has never really been important because of its content or size - rather, it's the posterchild of every tracker, file sharing site and p2p-network out there, and personifies the idea of a free and open internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

23. Post #23
    Pirate bay is going down in history. They've been through countless attacks and lawsuits and are still alive and stronger than ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 32Winner Winner x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's got something to do with "MAFIAA" again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,130 Posts
    Warez-BB came under a DDOS attack at the same time, too

CONSPIRACY
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Pirate bay is going down in history. They've been through countless attacks and lawsuits and are still alive and stronger than ever.
    It's doing what pirate radio stations were doing way back. Perhaps one day they'll become a legimate thing without losing it's values.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,293 Posts
    No shit it's not anonymous, why would they ever take down TPB
    Because TPB criticized Anon's attack on Virgin Media.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    Because TPB criticized Anon's attack on Virgin Media.
    Seems like a pretty petty reason to do something like that to something they normally strongly defend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Seems like a pretty petty reason to do something like that to something they normally strongly defend.
    I was thinking more on the lines of "anon gets all their linux distros from there, why would they want to disable it"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,736 Posts
    You're saying that like Anon never does stuff for petty reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Zing Zing x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Not all the ddos swarms are done by Anon, drop that bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    retarded faggot
    January 2008
    1,409 Posts
    Yet some kid will still make a post bragging about him and "anon" doing it later.

That's how most of the attacks work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,432 Posts
    A good deal of them are. The people who actually know what the fuck they are doing don't need to DDoS something to take it down, or cause service interruptions. Plus seeing as Anon isn't organised and anyone can claim to be Anonymous, yeah, they kinda are all done by "Anon".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,880 Posts
    I won't even start with the lost money deal, how can you lose what you never had?
    Yeah, clearly companies never lose money due to rampant piracy. Having enormous numbers of people pirating their media instead of buying it couldn't possibly result in any fiscal trouble whatsoever. It's not like they have return expectations on their investment that, when not met, are commonly termed a 'loss' or anything.

The BBC description of TPB is retarded and inaccurate, but so is white-knighting copyright infringement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

36. Post #36
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    I'm sorry BBC, but that's technically wrong. It's more like the guy who points you to the guy who gives you the illegal content. I don't support piracy, but bullshit statements like that are bad reporting. I won't even start with the lost money deal, how can you lose what you never had?
    it's potentially lost revenue because customers just pirate it and don't buy the game

so if you're selling apples for 5 bucks a pound, and then people learn you can just go pick them off trees- that's money lost because there's no reason to buy them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,064 Posts
    Yeah I think it's someone framing Anon, I really don't see them doing this, not with Diablo 3 being released.

This is of course, assuming that this Anon is 4chan like usual.

Edited:

it's potentially lost revenue because customers just pirate it and don't buy the game

so if you're selling apples for 5 bucks a pound, and then people learn you can just go pick them off trees- that's money lost because there's no reason to buy them
    But who's to make sure the people would actually buy them if they couldn't get them for free?

potential loss =/= loss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,720 Posts
    Um, it's working for me?

No dice for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

39. Post #39

There are apples on trees? I'm going to pick some. There are no apples on trees? I don't want them enough to buy them anyway.
    Not a lost sale if I was never going to buy apples anyway. Just because I grow my own apples does not mean it's lost sale for shops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,445 Posts
    Yeah I think it's someone framing Anon, I really don't see them doing this, not with Diablo 3 being released.

This is of course, assuming that this Anon is 4chan like usual.

Edited:

But who's to make sure the people would actually buy them if they couldn't get them for free?

potential loss =/= loss
    If everyone pirated everything, all the game/movie companies would go out of business.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 16Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)