1. Post #1
    Dennab
    April 2011
    2,635 Posts
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...c+News+-+Main)

This weekend, a "time traveling" solar eclipse will turn the familiar disk of the sun into a ring of fire for sky-watchers in parts of Asia and the U.S. West.

Known as an annular eclipse, the event is the first of its kind to be visible from the mainland United States since 1994. The region won't see another such eclipse until 2023.

Like a total solar eclipse, an annular eclipse happens when the moon lines up between Earth and the sun. But in this case, the dark moon's apparent diameter is smaller than the visible disk of the sun, leaving a ring—or annulus—of fiery light around the edges. (See annular eclipse pictures.)

During such an eclipse, "the path of annularity, where the full eclipse will be visible, is hundreds of miles wide and thousands of miles long," said eclipse
    expert Jay Pasachoff, the Field Memorial Professor at Williams College in Massachusetts.

In this path, "viewers looking through special solar filters can see a ring of sunlight around the black silhouette of the moon," said Pasachoff, who is
    also aNational Geographic Society grantee. (National Geographic News is a division of the Society.)
    The annular eclipse starts in China at local sunrise on May 21. The path of the moon's shadow then goes over Japan around 7:35 a.m., local time, and
    races across the Pacific Ocean.

(Also see "Eclipses in Ancient China Spurred Science, Beheadings?")

Due to the time zone change, the eclipse makes landfall again in North America in the late afternoon of May 20, starting at the California-Oregon
    border at 6:26 p.m. PT.

The annular eclipse then crosses southern Nevada, southern Utah, the Grand Canyon in northern Arizona, the lower-left corner of Colorado, and most
    of New Mexico before ending in the area of Lubbock, Texas, around sunset at 8:36 p.m. CT.

For most viewers in the path of annularity, the eclipse will last for a just over four and half minutes.

Active Sun to Add Beauty to Eclipse

Some picturesque wilderness areas—including several U.S. national parks—will be in the 190-mile-wide (300-kilometer-wide) path of the full annular
    eclipse.

Viewers in a broader track stretching for thousands of miles across northeastern Asia and the western two-thirds of the U.S. and Canada will instead
    see a striking partial eclipse.

"Unlike a total eclipse, in which the sun is entirely covered and the sky therefore gets dark, it never gets dark during an annular eclipse like this one,"
    Pasachoff said.

"So the only loss in view from being off to the side of the zone of totality is that you won't see a complete ring and things won't appear symmetric,
    but you'll still be able to see a partial eclipse of the sun."

(See partial eclipse pictures.)

The best chances for clear skies during the event will be in states such as Nevada, Arizona, and Utah, added Anthony Cooke, an astronomer at the
    Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.

"But most of the path in the Western U.S. has better than even odds of clear enough weather to observe the eclipse," he said.

Cooke also predicts some added beauty with this eclipse, since it occurs close to the expected maximum of the current solar cycle in early 2013.

"We can expect interesting moments when sunspots of various sizes will be covered by the advancing limb of the moon, then later uncovered as the
    moon retreats from the sun's face," he said.

(Related: "Solar Eclipses Can [Slightly] Change Weather on Earth.")

To view the eclipse safely, astronomers recommend using either a professionally manufactured solar filter in front of a telescope or camera, or using
    eclipse viewing glasses that sufficiently reduce the sun's brightness and filter out damaging ultraviolet and infrared radiation.

But probably the safest and easiest way to take in the eclipse is to use the pinhole projection method, Williams College's Pasachoff said.

"Punch a one-eighth to one-quarter-inch hole in a piece of cardboard and use it to create a projection of the partial or annular phases on a wall a few
    feet away," he said.

Eclipse as a Science Tool

The Griffith Observatory's Cooke says scientists will probably also be making use of this weekend's annular eclipse.

(Also see "Eclipse Expert Makes Hot Finds in Sun's Darkest Hour.")

"Radio telescopes close to the path of annularity will make observations as the moon passes over sunspots and other sources of radio disturbances on
    the sun," he said.

Sunspots are linked to eruptions of intense electromagnetic radiation called solar flares, which can cause disturbances to radio communications on
    Earth and also hinder radio astronomers' views of the universe. (Find out more about solar storms in National Geographic magazine.)

"Also," Cooke said, "precise timing of the onset of annularity can provide data on possible changes in the diameter of the sun when compared with
    historical measurements."
    Live feeds will be set up. One of them is in the source. Pictures are also in the source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 25Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,503 Posts
    But probably the safest and easiest way to take in the eclipse is to use the pinhole projection method, Williams College's Pasachoff said.

"Punch a one-eighth to one-quarter-inch hole in a piece of cardboard and use it to create a projection of the partial or annular phases on a wall a few
    feet away," he said.
    Ghetto astronomy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 30Winner Winner x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,417 Posts

Came to mind.
    came to mind
    This is awesome stuff though, normally I try to witness these events but I'm on the wrong side of the globe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    May 2007
    1,218 Posts
    Will I seriously go blind from looking at it, or is it like that 'don't look at the sun' bullcrap where you're not blind but you see spots everywhere for a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    2,368 Posts
    God fucking damn it I never get to see Solar Eclipses. It literally turns to night the moment it reaches my area.

wrrryy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 42Funny Funny x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2007
    691 Posts
    fuck my east coast life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,121 Posts
    It's gonna reach us! (for a few seconds)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,108 Posts
    Yeahhhhh buddy it'll reach me! I've never seen a solar eclipse!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
    Gonna watch it this weekend in Tonopah, Nevada
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Is this one of those eclipses that allow you to see the stars next to the sun so that you can measure how much the light coming from the star is warped by the sun?

13. Post #13
    October 2009
    769 Posts

Came to mind.
    Now I want to see someone look at this eclipse and scream the chorus of this song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,492 Posts
    Fuck yeah, I've never seen one before and I live in California. Of course, it's unsafe to look directly at it but still!

15. Post #15
    August 2008
    353 Posts
    Happening in four hours! I'm waking at 5am for this.

16. Post #16
    July 2010
    2,519 Posts
    the fire nation is soooo fucked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Mexico Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,294 Posts
    well sucks to be a brazilian. i never get to see anything cool like that.

18. Post #18
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    THIS IS THE SECOND FUCKING TIME I MISSED IT!

The first time the whole school was in the gym watching a movie while it passed, this time, after a full fucking week of awesome clear skies it's cloudy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    Still 6 hours away here in Colorado. They say to wear goggles, but fuck that. I'm staring directly at it with unimpeded vision.

20. Post #20
    playdoh
    May 2008
    2,967 Posts
    Still 6 hours away here in Colorado. They say to wear goggles, but fuck that. I'm staring directly at it with unimpeded vision.
    Good luck with that. I don't think that will end will what with the whole staring at the sun the most stereotypical way to go blind.

21. Post #21
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,822 Posts
    THIS IS THE SECOND FUCKING TIME I MISSED IT!

The first time the whole school was in the gym watching a movie while it passed, this time, after a full fucking week of awesome clear skies it's cloudy.
    Washingtonian?

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    This is going to be so much fun. I'm right on the coast in north California.

Right as it hits I'm going to put my eclipse glasses on and scream, "YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !"

23. Post #23
    August 2009
    1,514 Posts
    Didn't understand the cardboard trick, how do we do it?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,918 Posts

Came to mind.
    I don't even want to see the eclipse, now I just want to play some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on my N64.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,802 Posts
    -snip-
    woops i thought it was a link in the source, not just sitting there in it.

put a box on my head someone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    My and my parents are heading up into the mountains to get some great pics of it.

I'll be sure to post them here for you guys that are unfortunately going to miss it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,726 Posts
    Not sure if these have been posted yet, but I'll post them here.

Use this site to put the city you live in, to see when the eclipse starts and ends for you (assuming you'll see it), and how much of an eclipse you'll get.

You can use this livestream to see the eclipse. The first one, over Japan, is in about 20 minutes. They'll have a later one somewhere in the USA, but I'm not sure exactly when that one will play.

28. Post #28
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    THIS IS THE SECOND FUCKING TIME I MISSED IT! The first time the whole school was in the gym watching a movie while it passed, this time, after a full fucking week of awesome clear skies it's cloudy.
    THIS MY FUCKING GOD. The whole week has been beautiful but now it's raining and supposed to rain all day. Fuck Washington State, it produces nothing but shitty apples and fucking rain. I was all hyped since I've never seen an eclipse before, too. Me and a friend were gonna watch it together but fucking Washington decides that now is the time to rain.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,417 Posts
    Will I seriously go blind from looking at it, or is it like that 'don't look at the sun' bullcrap where you're not blind but you see spots everywhere for a while.
    I'm probably a bit late here.

Bright visible light isn't dangerous even though it may feel painful. It's invisible UV light which causes all the damage. The pain you experience when looking at a bright light is supposed to protect your eyes from UV radiation.

Looking at the sun normally is safe enough because your eyes adjust to the light. However during a solar eclipse, the corona doesn't shine very brightly in the visible spectrum - it's relatively more intense in the UV spectrum. Your eyes won't adjust, and they can get burned.

30. Post #30
    August 2005
    6,726 Posts
    Confirmed list of Washingtonians:

MIPS
    Remscar
    Gmod4ever
    yawmwen

(I can tell by the bitching about how it's been beautiful all week and now it's cloudy and rainy).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    I'm probably a bit late here. Bright visible light isn't dangerous even though it may feel painful. It's invisible UV light which causes all the damage. The pain you experience when looking at a bright light is supposed to protect your eyes from UV radiation. Looking at the sun normally is safe enough because your eyes adjust to the light. However during a solar eclipse, the corona doesn't shine very brightly in the visible spectrum - it's relatively more intense in the UV spectrum. Your eyes won't adjust, and they can get burned.
    I thought it was the infrared light that fucked you up. The NASA website isn't coming up, but it said on there that it was infrared light that caused the burning.

32. Post #32
    May 2012
    223 Posts
    I think MIPS is a Vancouveran.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    I think MIPS is a Vancouveran.
    Vancouver is just a stone's throw away from Washington, so I count him as a Washingtonian in this case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    August 2005
    6,726 Posts
    Well, apparently the livestream I posted sucks dick - it's not an actual livestream it seems.

this one is an actual livestream (they're streaming right now, and come on to talk every few minutes). The clouds coverage is less than ideal, but hey, they're clearer than Washington at any rate.

The eclipse is about 50 minutes from now, using THAT stream.

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Haha they got rain too, those fuckers.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,802 Posts
    if you're on the SLOOH cam, switch over to the NAOJ station on the stream window. it's got pretty good coverage.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    11,513 Posts
    I wish I was able to see this, but the rain just fucks everything over, fucking rain.

Even if it wasn't rain, it isn't visible in my area

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,722 Posts
    Confirmed list of Washingtonians:

MIPS
    Remscar
    Gmod4ever
    yawmwen

(I can tell by the bitching about how it's been beautiful all week and now it's cloudy and rainy).
    Washingtonian here, as well.

Edited:

I can't see shit right now, though. I'll go for a drive and see if I can get away from the clouds.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,161 Posts
    its raining time to wait another 11 years
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Washingtonian here, as well. Edited: I can't see shit right now, though. I'll go for a drive and see if I can get away from the clouds.
    Probably not, unfortunately. http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/weather/ You might get some sun at Yakima or Tri-Cities, but everywhere else is engulfed in clouds.