1. Post #1
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    Update changelog: http://www.snakesvx.net/forum/viewto...=22&t=71&p=247

What's new or changed in SB3?

Spacebuild 3 is an almost complete rewrite of Spacebuild 2.
    The new Core is modular based. This means that it will be a lot easier for people to add new Environment types to it without needing to modify the SB core for it. This also means that non-spherical environments will be more easy to add now.
    Another thing that's new is that the environments got new features.
    The largest new feature is that a planet is more then just habitable or unhabitable now. This means that instead of a planet having air or not a planet's air now exists out of different parts (oxygin, CO2, Nitrogen and Hydrogen) which make it either habitable or not.
    The general updating system has been improved to to be better performance wise. Less variables are needed to store environment info on a prop/player/npc/... now which should also decrease the amount of ram usage a bit(although probably not that much).
    Environment info in SB will also be better up to date in SB3 then in SB2 due to the new core.

Are there any negative sides to this?

Yes, there is one drawback. All addons that use anything of SB2 will need to be partially rewritten to work with SB3. Due to the new Core.
    Older SB maps will still work, but they will only run in some sort of compatibility mode, which means that some of them might not run 100% like they used to.

When will we be able to test this?

I'm planning on releasing a beta for SB and the new LS by the end of June and either at the beginning of July. This beta will most likely still have bugs though, and will also be used to tweak all the settings a bit more. At the moment it's hard to tweak some of the new environment features since they are completely new and I also want the opinion of you guys for it ;)

How far is the current progress?
    Well most of the core features for SB and the Environment code is done. Appart from bugs and tweaking you could SB3 itself is about done.
    But the new LS update is needed for most of the tests that will need to be done with SB3 and I'm currently waiting for some of the custom models that still need to be made, which I need to tweak it all and be able to properly test for bugs in the Entity code. The LS core itself is about done to (minus bugs and tweaking).

Also the slow progress on the RD updates is slowing down development alot. TAD2020 doesn't have much time at the moment to work on it and well as most of you know more and more bugs seems to be happening in RD2.

Who are you? Why isn't the SBDevTeam posting this?
    I'm SnakeSVx, main developer for the SBDevTeam.

I'll post more info the more progress is made on the new system. If you guys got any questions or suggestions you can post them in here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Useful x 11Dumb x 7Late x 3Informative x 3Bad Spelling x 2Optimistic x 2Funny x 2Agree x 2Bad Reading x 2Friendly x 2Artistic x 1Disagree x 1Lua King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,004 Posts
    If you want me to beta test,I can do it.

This is going to be really cool when this releases!No bugs,working LS hopefully :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    716 Posts
    Oh man. I've only just almost finished re-basing Global RP on SB 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2007
    5 Posts
    I can't wait for the release dude! I'm pretty excited. I'll beta test too if you'll allow me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    philxyz posted:
    Oh man. I've only just almost finished re-basing Global RP on SB 2
    It should be easier for you to put them together ;)

SB has been split into different parts which are easier to integrate into certain other gamemodes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2008
    718 Posts
    Don't forget to look for the return of Asteroid Mining 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    716 Posts
    Sounds good. The main thing is, I need to be able to access the Planets {} table

At the moment I it's called "BackupPlanetData". It would be good to have it as "Planets" or something, so it doesn't disappear from the gamemode at any time :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2006
    47 Posts
    snake_1_1 posted:
    Strange, I was under the impression I was the ONLY ONE making/updating ANYTHING for SB2 and CDS. (Brush environments anyone?)

9. Post #9
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    LuaPineapple posted:
    Strange, I was under the impression I was the ONLY ONE making/updating ANYTHING for SB2 and CDS. (Brush environments anyone?)
    SB2 and CDS will be replaced with SB3 and CDS3, it's already planned like this from January...

Everything you've been doing are more or less Unofficial updates, since support for SB2 and CDS has been slowing down a lot already, and will completly stop once SB3 and the new CDS are out.

And yea I've seen your Brush environment update. This is part of why SB3 was made. It has better support for things like this. You needed to alter the Core code in SB2 to achieve this, while in SB3 you just make make a sent that has some needed functions, then make it register with the SB3 core.

Edit:

philxyz posted:
    Sounds good. The main thing is, I need to be able to access the Planets {} table

At the moment I it's called "BackupPlanetData". It would be good to have it as "Planets" or something, so it doesn't disappear from the gamemode at any time :P
    There is a table Environments, which will contain all data. There will also be some functions which will return the references to the planets...

Planets are Sents now;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2006
    47 Posts
    Then I hope you'll be integrating the update's I've been making. I've already got a brush system working, I've also got a SENT for planets that you set the material and it'll render it by itself (no more need for custom models for planets) as well as using a phy sphere init and a trigger true to process the entities in the same fashion as the brushes do.

11. Post #11
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    LuaPineapple posted:
    Then I hope you'll be integrating the update's I've been making. I've already got a brush system working, I've also got a SENT for planets that you set the material and it'll render it by itself (no more need for custom models for planets) as well as using a phy sphere init and a trigger true to process the entities in the same fashion as the brushes do.
    If you want I'll put it in (updated to use the SB3 core) and put your name with it ;).

12. Post #12
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    What is Brush environments? :q:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts
    kp3 posted:
    What is Brush environments? :q:
    I think it allows mappers to make a brush that has a different enviroment.

14. Post #14
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    Like a paint brush? :sax: (jk)

Like a square planet?

15. Post #15
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    kp3 posted:
    Like a paint brush? :sax: (jk)

Like a square planet?
    Yep, it can be about any shape you want :p

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    716 Posts
    snake_1_1 posted:
    There is a table Environments, which will contain all data. There will also be some functions which will return the references to the planets...

Planets are Sents now;)
    Initially, I did use the environments table, but I had to loop through them all and check for IsPlanet myself. I'd definitely love a GetPlanets() function that returns a table of all planets, then I can just call that in GlobalRP (assuming RingDing doesn't do anything more to it and I move it to SB3)

17. Post #17
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    snake_1_1 posted:
    Yep, it can be about any shape you want :p
    That's just awesome. You could create a map that's in like 3 or 4, even 5 levels.

small planets
    -----
    Space
    -----
    Land
    -----
    undeground
    -----
    groundwater
    -----

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Here's a recommendation: Find a way to put a player as like, A rotatable viewbox.
    Would require a lot of LUA, But combined with the orbit SENT, Instant spherical rotation (Round the world anyone?) Because the player's "Feet" Don't really rotate in game to fit the gravity below, But vehicles do, It would mean more "Revoloutionised" SB Maps.

Like in portal, If you jump out of portals in certain angles your viewbox moves to match the environment around it.

19. Post #19
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    Ulysses mod mayby?

20. Post #20
    May 2007
    38 Posts
    This sounds excellent, it's better than SB2 and it also sounds like it'll be more stable this time; SB2 makes me crash in single player randomly, which is a real shame.

21. Post #21

September 2007
    1 Posts
    I can't wait!

22. Post #22
    March 2008
    718 Posts
    Eye Candy for CDS3:

No guarantees that it will be used though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    May 2007
    337 Posts
    SB3

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    Levybreak posted:
    Eye Candy for CDS3:

No guarantees that it will be used though.
    Oh gods. That's horrible! :vomit:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2008
    718 Posts
    I only started working on it yesterday, and it's untextured. >.>
    I still need to add a good looking bumpmap, and background pattern to the metal today.
    Also, it's about 1/2 the height of a smallbridge piece, 1/2 the length, and the full width, to put it's size into perspective.

26. Post #26
    November 2007
    6 Posts
    wow man you really have outdone yourself with this one, I would love you forever if you let me beta test this!

27. Post #27
    March 2008
    718 Posts
    Killers2's euro server is currently testing SB3, RD3, and LS3. You'll have to download alot before you join, but we think it's worth it. ^.^
    Also, BEFORE JOINING, If you have LS2 or RD2 locally in your Addons folders, MOVE THEM OUT IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING ON KILLER'S SERVER!!! Local LS2 tools override remote LS3 ones, so you NEED to make sure they are removed.
    IP Address: 89.145.117.229:27015
    Go have fun, and report any gamemode related errors to http://snakesvx.blogdns.com/forum/index.php

28. Post #28
    October 2007
    8 Posts
    snake_1_1 posted:
    What's new or changed in SB3?

Spacebuild 3 is an almost complete rewrite of Spacebuild 2.
    The new Core is modular based. This means that it will be a lot easier for people to add new Environment types to it without needing to modify the SB core for it. This also means that non-spherical environments will be more easy to add now.
    Another thing that's new is that the environments got new features.
    The largest new feature is that a planet is more then just habitable or unhabitable now. This means that instead of a planet having air or not a planet's air now exists out of different parts (oxygin, CO2, Nitrogen and Hydrogen) which make it either habitable or not.
    The general updating system has been improved to to be better performance wise. Less variables are needed to store environment info on a prop/player/npc/... now which should also decrease the amount of ram usage a bit(although probably not that much).
    Environment info in SB will also be better up to date in SB3 then in SB2 due to the new core.

Are there any negative sides to this?

Yes, there is one drawback. All addons that use anything of SB2 will need to be partially rewritten to work with SB3. Due to the new Core.
    Older SB maps will still work, but they will only run in some sort of compatibility mode, which means that some of them might not run 100% like they used to.

When will we be able to test this?

I'm planning on releasing a beta for SB and the new LS by the end of June and either at the beginning of July. This beta will most likely still have bugs though, and will also be used to tweak all the settings a bit more. At the moment it's hard to tweak some of the new environment features since they are completely new and I also want the opinion of you guys for it ;)

How far is the current progress?
    Well most of the core features for SB and the Environment code is done. Appart from bugs and tweaking you could SB3 itself is about done.
    But the new LS update is needed for most of the tests that will need to be done with SB3 and I'm currently waiting for some of the custom models that still need to be made, which I need to tweak it all and be able to properly test for bugs in the Entity code. The LS core itself is about done to (minus bugs and tweaking).

Also the slow progress on the RD updates is slowing down development alot. TAD2020 doesn't have much time at the moment to work on it and well as most of you know more and more bugs seems to be happening in RD2.

I'll post more info the more progress is made on the new system. If you guys got any questions or suggestions you can post them in here.

what happened to the color mod stuff? will S.B.3 have it?

29. Post #29
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    Yes, all SB1/2 related stuff is still in SB3.

But hasn't been tested properly yet so far.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    631 Posts
    Please! No CDS!

CDS completely ruined spacebuild. Making it WAY to complicated.

You build a ship. Send it on a test flight. BOOM. Half of it comes tumbling back down to the planet because the damn thing needs a farking "space shield".

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    195 Posts
    You do realize that CDS is optional, right? It's also up to you whether or not you want to have the temperature damage on or not.

32. Post #32
    May 2007
    7 Posts
    just a note!

could you please just release the models for now as the test server is all errors!
    i did remove the life support and rd2 stuff and the i sat for ages to download and then it goes a fucked up and crashes :( it's all like :hellnaw: because then i am kicked from he server and then it is passworded.

and also you talk about Z.P.M.'s yet it has no Stargate mod

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    230 Posts
    Can you integrate all the files needed into 1 ZIP? It would help alot of people. Wiremod v.633 contained adv. dupe, the models and all the lua.

Can't wait ethier way! :4chan:

34. Post #34
    March 2008
    304 Posts
    Integrating all the files into one zip is against most developers licenses and it causes problems. Never ever release packs of other peoples mods.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    230 Posts
    MadDog986 posted:
    Integrating all the files into one zip is against most developers licenses and it causes problems. Never ever release packs of other peoples mods.
    True, but Resource Destribution, CDS, and the Spacebulid model pack all work very closely. Unlike other mods, these are intertwined together becuase you need RD2 and CDS for SB2.

But, I don't want to see Spacebuild fall prey to copyright laws. I know you don't need CDS or the Spacebuild Model Pack, so I may be wrong about everything.

36. Post #36
    November 2007
    16 Posts
    Some people do not have CSS, I suggest you make all or most of the models for life support, I could help with the modeling but I am having trouble getting models from 3ds ingame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37

November 2007
    3 Posts
    Can anyone help me ? What is the Nicest version of Spacebuild ( v2? )
    And where i can downloadit : all links at www.garrysmod.org
    are broken.
    Thank you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,307 Posts
    There are models in development.

Humanexecute. Use SVN. And fix your spelling man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #39

November 2007
    3 Posts
    HEy, I am from Germany nardix -.-!
    by the way: How is the command to make toolgun active and noclip allowed?
    sbox_noclip 1 don't work .

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,307 Posts
    So? I'm from your left most neighbour country. I know a German kid who's spelling perfectly.

Download the item mod.

For noclip. Open the console and type: bind v noclip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)