1. Post #1
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    Been doing some animating for Xystus' snpc pack, and suddenly I got the idea of doing snpc's from the "Tremors" movies! No models exist for them, but I've been practicing game modeling lately, and figured this would be a good project for me.

I'm starting with the arguably simplest of the three beasts, the "Graboid". Simple cylindrical shape overall, but wanted to make sure his body had a fleshy sag to it. Graboids are covered in spikes that they use for movement underground. I think I can add those on later by chamfering vertices and pulling the middle vert out.

Trying to be as low poly as possible. I'd rather have to add detail than take away from it. Almost finished with the upper beak and will move onto the three lower mandibles soon.

I'll leave some WIP wires here and see what you think :)

Edit:

THERE we go, images working again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    526 Posts
    About time somebody made this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    cloud_strife posted:
    About time somebody made this.
    Hehe, glad people appreciate this idea :)

And as I mentioned, pics are up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,282 Posts
    Looks damn good so far...

By all means keep it up!

5. Post #5
    July 2007
    256 Posts
    Freaking sweet.

6. Post #6
    April 2007
    724 Posts
    Cool. Any plans on doing the little 2 legged tremor worms? No flying ones, they were stupid. But the walkers were cool/

7. Post #7
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    Facehugger88 posted:
    Cool. Any plans on doing the little 2 legged tremor worms? No flying ones, they were stupid. But the walkers were cool/
    Hoping to do the whole lifecycle actually :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    Damn, that is an amazing idea. I'll scream like a girl if you get this done. Make a Kevin Bacon NPC as well, that just runs around, dodging it while playing random voice clips from the movie XP I loved Tremors 1, 2nd was alright. Haven't really seen the rest though..

OOH, and don't forget the weird tongue things! :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    221 Posts
    hell yeah.

10. Post #10
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    I might add that I'm not all that experienced as a skinner, so if anyone interested knows their way around model texturing, you can certainly bet I'll accept the help.

I also lack a copy of ZBrush, as well as the skills to use ZBrush, in case anyone wants to give these babies good normal maps.

Just putting that out there.

11. Post #11
    HOLY HELL MINIGUN SNARKS
    September 2007
    3,715 Posts
    Ha, fucking awesome.

Now I gotta find me a good old hunting shotty model
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

12. Post #12
    May 2008
    26 Posts
    looks ice and would make a great snpc and i loved the movies they where great.

13. Post #13
    You can't expect the universe and its entire contents to be contained within the confines of a tent.
    February 2008
    1,896 Posts
    Those worms look like corn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    *Glances around for said "ice"*

Hehe, thanks for the votes of confidence guys.

Definitely still WIP, but here's what I've managed so far. His left and right jaw parts are a bit too long right now, but the shape is essentially correct, pending further inspection and tweaking. Be advised, I would be delighted to hear whatever criticism you might have.

15. Post #15
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    Looks good so far :) I agree, just shorten the bottom jaws bits a wee bit :P

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,282 Posts
    I have none, it looks great.

Just remember that NPC's need skeletal animations. Rig it up to a long snake skelton.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,795 Posts
    Fuck yeah.

I loved that film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    :p

I'm not unfamiliar with skeletal animations, after all, that's what I've been doing for you all this time, isn't it?

The tentacles will be a lot of fun...

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,282 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    :p

I'm not unfamiliar with skeletal animations, after all, that's what I've been doing for you all this time, isn't it?

The tentacles will be a lot of fun...
    Oh. Duh.

They had tentacles?

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    526 Posts
    Their tongues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,590 Posts
    great job, looks just like it

22. Post #22

May 2005
    10 Posts
    God damned graboids :)

23. Post #23
    November 2008
    15 Posts
    Heh, i've never tried modeling before... it looks like displacements on a map (the grid)

24. Post #24
    May 2006
    325 Posts
    Kick ass, I love Tremors.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,026 Posts
    Awesome...These should be epic.

When you do get around to the assblasters, would you make them so that thruster attachment is easy? I'd love to make a functional assblaster...

26. Post #26
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    TestECull posted:
    Awesome...These should be epic.

When you do get around to the assblasters, would you make them so that thruster attachment is easy? I'd love to make a functional assblaster...
    Huh?

Hehe...heh...

I'm not sure you quite understand...

You see, I intend to work with Xystus and make these into snpc's :)

27. Post #27
    September 2006
    98 Posts
    I could have sworn that I remembered the Graboid being bigger than that.. or maybe the TV series had one that was slightly bigger.

28. Post #28
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    Huh?

Hehe...heh...

I'm not sure you quite understand...

You see, I intend to work with Xystus and make these into snpc's :)
    I'm sure the Assblasters could be similar to the antlions, since they leap at you. Just shove an explosion before they jump :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    Worked a bit on his mandibles, and turned out by more referencing that on closing them, the outer two are slightly longer than the rest of the whole beak, so they're not shorter as I'd thought they were.

Also altered his physique a little, and added his movement spikes.

On top of that, gave him a true throat and "stomach". Also took care in modeling his three tentacles. Will be a job to rig them right, but it should work well when it is :)

Again, critique is welcome.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,282 Posts
    That's going to be a bitch to UV map.

Hope we can find someone...

31. Post #31
    October 2006
    216 Posts
    yeh have fun doing that

32. Post #32
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    Damn! Those tongue bits are just like the actual thing, great job with them! Think you'll be able to get them to go in and out rather than dangling out? :/

33. Post #33
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    Yeah, UVW would be tricky, except that the spikes are separate elements from the main body and only consist of three polys each, so it should be fairly simple to stack all the spike unwraps in around the same spot on the texture map and get a decent result out of it.

Likewise, the tongue UV's can be put in the exact same spot too, to save work.

Thanks about the tongues, by the way :) I took great care in modeling them. I won't make their jaws work though, that would be a little overkill. Hopefully they're low enough poly to not dramatically affect the mesh, while still being visually accurate approximately.

I've currently got them lined up so they can be rigged as easily as possible, since while I can't avoid having to do individual vertex assignment due to the proximity a lot of these bones will have, I DON'T want the tongue meshes to intersect with the rest of the body, because THAT would be a BITCH to work out.

Once they're rigged, I'll be able to curl them inside the body until they're used. I'll probably IK, the ends of the tongues, though that'll mean I have to set limits on the bones so they don't go making acute angles on me.

34. Post #34
    September 2007
    170 Posts
    Nice! I need to see Tremors! :O You should try make a mod...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Main Force Patrolin'
    August 2006
    5,271 Posts
    can someone do bert's trucks and 4x4's he get's through all the movies?

the 6x6 would be great!

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,282 Posts
    I would really recommend doing at least the side and bottom jaws, if it's possible, because I can tell it's going to not look good animated if the jaws are frozen solid.

If not, then at least do the side one's, to give the mouth some animation...

37. Post #37
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    Xystus234 posted:
    I would really recommend doing at least the side and bottom jaws, if it's possible, because I can tell it's going to not look good animated if the jaws are frozen solid.

If not, then at least do the side one's, to give the mouth some animation...
    What, rigging them? Of course :)

38. Post #38
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    If somebody can make a map to match this, that would be amazing :P Having to stay on top of things and whatnot. And then then, have the bulldozer! And and, the girl on the Pogo Stick! AND...AND... XO I forgot how awesome that movie was XP

39. Post #39
    October 2007
    9 Posts
    What modeling program do you use J-Dude.

40. Post #40
    December 2007
    1,656 Posts
    I use 3d Studio Max.

Edit:

Ah!

Well, after a lot of work, I managed to create UVW coordinates for our Graboid. I tell you, pelt mapping is a lifesaver, as long as you seam everything correctly.

After I get back from seeing a movie here in a bit, I'll try my own hand at texturing, but in case anyone else wants to take a stab at it, or knows someone good who might help us out, I'll leave the UVW's here, all nice and labeled for user friendliness :)

And yes, I was able to overlap the spike and tentacles UV's so that we wouldn't have to worry about Re-texturing the same things a hundred times.