1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts

First off, what Hammerfight is:
    Hammerfight is a physics-based game made by Konstantin Koshutin where you play as a small "helicopter", the goal is to defeat your enemies. It's set in a steam-punk-esque universe.
    But, it's radically different from other fighting games, and here is why:
    In Hammerfight you don't mash a "attack button", you use physics to inflict damage. The best way to explain how this works is through the trailer:

The weapons range from heavy steel wrecking balls to small and agile swords, from guns to thrown spears and poison flasks. Most weapons can also be improved by adding a gem, gems can change a lot in a battle, from a simple damaging gem to a "ghost gem" that allows you and your weapon to go through solid objects for a short moment (great against shields).
    Your fighting style will change radically with each weapon, trying to use a sword the same way you used a flail isn't possible (since they deal damage in completely different ways).

The environments are nearly completely destructible, you can hit your enemy and send him flying into the wall, and sometimes trough it. If you see something that looks like it can be broken, chances are it can, if it looks like it can be lit on fire, it probably can.
    Is your enemy too agile and you can't hit him with your huge demolition ball? Smash the roof and shower him with bricks, stones and various heavy objects (when you smash something, the debris does not disappear, so if you are good enough you could send falling stones flying towards your enemy by hitting them with your weapon).

The art style is pretty unique, it borrows a bit from the middle-eastern culture and a bit from the steam-punk style, and some locations are gorgeous even though the game is only in 2D. The decorations and effects are great too, and give a great atmosphere to the fights.

At the moment, only hotseat multiplayer battles are possible (for which you will need two mice), and while there are rumours about a multiplayer patch, most of those I have read are translated from Russian, so I can't say if it is planned or how long it will take for it to be released.
    That said hotseat multiplayer games are extremely rare on the PC (even more so if the game is in real time and not turnbased), and being able to call over a friend and play on the same computer without having to buy another copy of the game is a nice change from all the usual industry standards.

Basic Fighting Tips, read this
    [release]
    Basics:
    -Blunt works best against armour (other armoured helicopters), edged works best against unarmoured (worms and beasts).
    -Moving the mouse quickly from side to side taunts enemies, spurring them into attacking (they go pretty berserk, so be careful)

Swords: Swords are, usually, light but sharp weapons. As such they should not rely on momentum to cause damage. When you hit an enemy you don't want the central mass to hit the enemy and stop, what you want is the blade to slide on the enemy at highest possible velocity. Best way to do this is to either hit the enemy while pulling back (weapon hits, then slides) or hitting with the top 25% of the weapon (if the blade is curved). You can also stab with swords.
    Swords are possibly the hardest to use, but also the most precise (when you are good with them, you can easily slice of the head of an explosive wasp, while leaving the volatile body intact).

Flails/Maces/Balls: The easiest weapons to use, but you still can't just make circles and expect to win. When you are not attacking don't swing madly, because that momentum you are building up will make it hard to aim (also you might en up being the one swinging around, if you aren't careful). One or two slow full rotations right before the swing can help adding some extra punch, but you will have to swing when the weapon is in the right place, otherwise that momentum will ruin your swing. With these weapons be sure not to overdo the swing and lose control, slamming into a wall when 2 other jackasses are hammering you usually means death.
    Hit enemies in full force, send them flying then smash them when they are stunned. Also usually they have the longest reach, so it becomes easier to hit a downed enemy without slamming into the ground.

Hammers: Like flails, only with a rigid handle. Work similarly but are usually more controllable.

Axes: Cross between swords and flails, some can be used similarly to a sword, but usually they work more or less like hammers, with the added sharpness. Some axes have more/longer blade, they can be used more like sword, with sliding blows.

Gems:
    You can get gems throughout the storyline or by completing Grim.

Topaz: Lights enemies and the environment on fire.
    Sapphire: Freezes parts of the environment, weapons and armour. Also frozen enemies take more damage.
    Ruby: Heals you on hitting an enemy.
    Amethyst: Creates arcs of electricity and shocks enemies.
    Emerald: Makes you noclip for a small amount of time, allowing you to go through things (like that thrown hammer coming at your face at warp-speed).

Sockets:
    Small sockets: Can hold one small gem
    Large Socket: Can hold one large gem
    Golden Socket: Can hold either one large gem or one small gem (I've never seen a Gigantic gem drop, so at the moment the only possible way to acquire one at the moment is file editing)

[/release]

The requirements:

Processor: Athlon / Pentium III 2 GHz
    Memory: 256 Mb
    Graphics: DirectX 8.0 compatible with 64 Mb VRAM
    DirectX: 8.0
    Hard Drive: 150 Mb
    Sound: DirectX 8.0 compatible

Even though Hammerfight is a 2D game, you may want to be careful if you are going to buy it to be played on an old machine, I have tried it on a Intel integrated GMA950 and while it was playable, it was considerably slower than normal (felt like slow motion), but I'm quite sure that quite a few frames per second could be gained by tweaking the configuration.

Some tweaking:
    Code:
    You may want to tweak some stuff, to do that go into your X:\Steam\steamapps\common\hammerfight and open the Config.ini file.
    Here you can set the resolution, various graphical settings and a lot of other stuff. You can (and possibly will) disable the trail behind the weapons for example (which should be GFX_RENDER_MOTION) or disable the "laughing"-thing (which should be GAME_JOKER)
    GFX_MAXBURN and GFX_MAXMOVEABLE do what they state, set the maximum amount of moveable and burnable objects. Put it to something like 150 for some real mayhem (and epic fights in a burning arena).
    Make a copy of Config.ini before you modify it, just for safety.

So where do I buy it?
    The game has been released on Steam for 6,99€ and 9.99$ (finally the same price for everybody, no more 1€=1$, or so it seems).
    You may want to try the demo first, if so it is downloadable from the games website (in both English and Russian, just change the language to English in the top left corner).

Some more media:

The game is part of the Humble Indie Bundle 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Winner x 10Dumb x 9Bad Spelling x 5Late x 4Informative x 2Agree x 2Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    727 Posts
    downloading, looks really sweet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2008
    100 Posts
    Doesn't run properly in wine, too bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts
    Doesn't run properly in wine, too bad.
    I'll add that to the OP, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    727 Posts
    it's an alright game

6. Post #6
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    It's okay, a little tricky to actually attack enemies without damaging yourself though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,631 Posts
    this games pppretty fun. i'm stuck on the very last bit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8

November 2006
    152 Posts
    It's too bad it'll never be finished.

Here's a video of a battle.

You can remove the 60 minute limit by the way, by deleting a timed-out save and making a new one in its place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts
    It's okay, a little tricky to actually attack enemies without damaging yourself though.
    Yeah, at the beginning you'll find yourself smashing into walls a lot.

Also, the game (at least for me) became the real deal only after the "arena" parts, before that you have few weapons, not very destructible levels and not as fun enemies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    8,380 Posts
    I remember seeing this on G4, looks pretty fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts
    It's too bad it'll never be finished.

Here's a video of a battle.

Did he (the creator) say it won't? Or is it just you opinion?

12. Post #12

December 2007
    162 Posts
    Sounds like 2D Toribash
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Disagree Disagree x 10Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,205 Posts
    This is a pretty nice game, I played it a while ago.

There was a way to get around the timelimit. I think playing through the demo, then starting a new game on that save disabled it.
    Not sure, though.

14. Post #14
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    36,130 Posts
    There've been a thread bout this game on fun-motion for some time now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    You can also remove the time limit by setting it to -1 in a config. You don't have to delete the save every time. I just forget how to do it since I haven't played in forever.

Edit:

Nevermind I found how to remove the time limit.

Copy-Paste

another way (two ways, kinda) to get around the time limit:
    (I like this way better, as it is less likely to cause problems, I think.)
    when you are down to say, 30 minutes left, or 10, or 5, or whatever, go into the saves folder and open the profile you want to extend the time for. scroll down till you see the line that says 'm_roots=' followed by a number. this is where your time remaining is stored. replace the line with this:

m_roots=1.07412e+007

that should give you about 54 minutes remaining. when you're time gets low, just replace the line again.

alternatively, replace the line with

m_roots=-1

and you will have infinite time. I do not know how this will effect the game, it probably wont.
    IMPORTANT: I am fairly sure that you will have to do this AFTER you do the first two levels, the tutorialish ones. this is because you're time is set AFTER them. if there are any levels in the solo that dont count to your time, they may reset you're time so its not infinite any more... I am not sure. dont think that will happen, but if it does, just repaste the line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,843 Posts
    Yeah I played this back in 2006-07, you can't get further than a specific level.. can't remember which one.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,843 Posts
    This is one of my favorite physics games :V

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,843 Posts
    You can also remove the time limit by setting it to -1 in a config. You don't have to delete the save every time. I just forget how to do it since I haven't played in forever.

Edit:

Copy-Paste

I think you skip the time limit when you create a new profile or something.. Can't remember how I did it but it involved with making a new profile.

Why is there so many people reading this thread?

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts
    This is one of my favorite physics games :V
    Same here.
    The only thing I don't like is the menu (which is nice, but highly unpractical) and the somewhat confusing storyline/objectives.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts

Edit:

Copy-Paste
    Thanks, update the OP with a link to your post.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,088 Posts
    Can't get past the fucking second defend the giant retarded floating worm level. Every single time it says chief seyagi died.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts
    Can't get past the fucking second defend the giant retarded floating worm level. Every single time it says chief seyagi died.
    Well, try never to be under the worm, always be over him, that way the wasps should attack you and not target the worm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    December 2007
    94 Posts
    Awesome

24. Post #24
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    The level where you have to protect the worm from those fucking bees is god damned impossible also, the AI guys are fucking retards who are completely incapable of protecting themselves.

Hell, It's even shittier when the guy with the hammer goes off the fucking map, taking 30 bees with him... and dying.

Just tried the tip about keeping above the worm and it worked alright until the damn bees started following the dipshit with the hammer and completely ruining my killing spree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,953 Posts
    The level where you have to protect the worm from those fucking bees is god damned impossible.
    The AI guys are fucking retards who are completely incapable of protecting themselves.
    Yeah, it took me some time too.
    But try to be between the wasp and the worm when they arrive (usually this means being over the worm) and they should attack you instead of killing the worm.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    727 Posts
    I absolutely cannot pass part II-I

the fucking floating blimp piece of shit turns into a clusterfuck of bees and if I try to help it I only make it worse and if I leave it alone the blimp dies anyway

edit: this single level is enough to put me off from the entire game

edit2: i quit and deleted the game

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    20 Posts

the fucking floating blimp piece of shit turns into a clusterfuck of bees and if I try to help it I only make it worse and if I leave it alone the blimp dies anyway

Seconded. It's just stupid to put in a level this difficult/frustrating so early in the game. I'm sure there is a lot of other nice content, but I don't even have the patience to try and get ther.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Yes, unless there's a way to unlock all of the other modes to get to the GOOD stuff... this game is too fucking difficult.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    I didn't find it frustrating at all. I can beat it now on a new game no problem. Give it another try. The rest of the game is well worth 10 minutes of frustration.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,843 Posts

Seconded. It's just stupid to put in a level this difficult/frustrating so early in the game. I'm sure there is a lot of other nice content, but I don't even have the patience to try and get ther.
    You two made a big mistake, the game gets fun as hell later on.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,902 Posts
    You two made a big mistake, the game gets fun as hell later on.
    Quite right, the arena makes up for the insect levels completely

Hell, even fighting the giant bug thing is fun

32. Post #32
    December 2008
    859 Posts
    Holy shit, barely passed the second level.

33. Post #33
    I HAVE A ROTARY BECAUSE ITS GODDAMN AWESOME!
    April 2007
    3,146 Posts
    III-V = Impossible. Pissing me off so much...

34. Post #34
    December 2008
    859 Posts
    Fuck, can't get past the III-I

35. Post #35
    January 2009
    26 Posts
    III-V = Impossible. Pissing me off so much...
    What is it? I'm stuck on some stupid blade trial...

36. Post #36
    January 2009
    26 Posts
    Fuck, can't get past the III-I
    Which part? Btw I agree, gayness

37. Post #37
    February 2008
    111 Posts
    We failed out task! I lold hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

38. Post #38

November 2006
    152 Posts
    Did he (the creator) say it won't? Or is it just you opinion?
    http://www.gamedev.ru/projects/forum/?id=66519&page=52

It really makes me wonder where you're getting the BS about a 1.0 commercial release. He hasn't updated anything in more than a year.

This game isn't hard or confusing. You don't speak Russian and are using an English translation, you shouldn't be complaining about it being confusing. Learn Russian if you'd like it to make sense. It's only hard to most of you because you're used to playing easymode garbage.

39. Post #39
    December 2008
    859 Posts
    Which part? Btw I agree, gayness
    The part where you're chained to the wall and you have to prove you're worth for the guy to buy you.

40. Post #40
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,435 Posts
    I didn't find the bee level to be hard at all. Annoying but not hard.