Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,648 Posts
    Read the sticky.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    885 Posts
    Read the sticky, but remember it's very Windows-centric.
    Don't get a hardon for anything whiz-bang to soon, get the fundamentals down. Start with a far simpler language than those listed in the sticky, like C, though, because its descendants build upon features and concepts introduced that are core to the language (like classes are to structs with functions and scope you can control, for example).
    Interpreted/JIT languages like Python are also rather nice to pick up, too, because this means they're usually designed with goals other than "am I implementing some programming paradigm that is really new and innovative" or "I want this to run on as many platforms as possible" - one of the goals of Python, for example, is readable code, although being a high-level language you don't get a chance to learn much out of the implementation.

4. Post #4

May 2009
    78 Posts
    Yeah the sticky has alot of information but it's really up to you and how fast you want to learn to script/code.

If you go for the web developement area first, your best bet is PHP because the syntax is quite similar to C++. You could start off with C++ first and the majority of languages have very similar syntax, but in my opinion, C++ is the hardest to learn from scratch but it's great if you get around that difficulty :).

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    364 Posts
    I think im going to to start with C#

Going from the sticky im not sure which program to use any ideas?

6. Post #6
    October 2007
    104 Posts
    Do C# with SharpDevelop.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    Sticky..

8. Post #8
    May 2009
    20 Posts
    if you lack basic googling skills maybe u should just give up now?

9. Post #9

February 2007
    177 Posts
    Can't replace good ole' advice from humans. Besides, he didn't even know what language to start with.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,017 Posts
    Besides, he didn't even know what language to start with.
    He's not the only one.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    I was about to say:

How the HELL would that help him? Everything there is entirely peoples opinions, you can start with any language, giving him that bunch of crap isn't going to help
    But then I realized what you mean.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    364 Posts
    I know how to use Google and you should stop trolling if you cant help or at least give your experiance you should just no reply other wise

Also learn how to spell like normal people.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    I know how to use Google and you should stop trolling if you cant help or at least give your experiance you should just no reply other wise

Also learn how to spell like normal people.
    experiance

Oh the irony,
    Also fix your grammar.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Read the sticky, but remember it's very Windows-centric.
    Really? How? I tried to include examples of compilers on Linux as well as Windows, as well as IDEs.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Really? How? I tried to include examples of compilers on Linux as well as Windows, as well as IDEs.
    You recommended C# for applications development and you didn't even mention plain old C.
    It kind of makes sense for Windows, but it's backwards for Linux.

I did a few queries on SourceForge real quick, filtered for POSIX OSes only. These are the results:
    C - 12678
    C++ - 11076
    C# - 652

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    You recommended C# for applications development and you didn't even mention plain old C.
    It kind of makes sense for Windows, but it's backwards for Linux.
    Not really. Have you ever heard of Mono?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Using Mono will get you eaten alive by every Linux user on the face of the Earth.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Its implementation of .NET lags way behind the current "standard" set by Microsoft. It isn't something I would recommend relying upon.

I also updated my previous post to better illustrate my point.

The FOSS UNIX-like OSes strive for portability, and C is the simplest to implement, lightest, and most portable language there is. It was designed by Bell Labs for UNIX, and it fits in perfectly with the rest of its design philosophy.

Using Mono will get you eaten alive by every Linux user on the face of the Earth.
    This too.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Only the cultists. Which I really don't care about.

Just replace C# by Java and you get the Linux version, anyway. They're basically the same. Remember this is aimed at people who want fast results, not people who want to write C the rest of their lives to come out with the next notepad.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    yeah and ide's too!

:dogout: